Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

fartknocker posted:

Has this had a :doink: in it so far?

Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
That got kinda good in the last 10 minutes.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

MJeff posted:

That got kinda good in the last 10 minutes.

Yeah it had a rough start but it’s not bad. So I guess this is going to have a season long story arc?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yeah it had a rough start but it’s not bad. So I guess this is going to have a season long story arc?

Seems like Dylan McDermott is gonna be the main antagonist for at least a bit. I like it, seems like an interesting character.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Whole season of Stabler avenging his wife is cool

Not looking forward to Stabler and Olivia ending up together as you can see that coming from a mile away

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
That’s what they want you to think. The twist will be when Stabler ends up with Munch.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Lol Dylan McDermott actually said "woke" :v:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

YeahTubaMike posted:

Lol Dylan McDermott actually said "woke" :v:

To which his racist dad responded, "...what's woke? :confused:"

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I appreciate the The Third Man reference. I don't know if it was any good, and I don't know if the show overall is any good, but I appreciate the reference.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Hand Knit posted:

I appreciate the The Third Man reference. I don't know if it was any good, and I don't know if the show overall is any good, but I appreciate the reference.

Jack McCoy once reference The Third Man in a cross-examination like 15 years ago!

The subject of that episode?

Fake vaccinations. :v:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

MJeff posted:

Jack McCoy once reference The Third Man in a cross-examination like 15 years ago!

It would be a shame to not learn from the best.

Anyway, the first episode had a whole "old vs new" thing going on (heh to Stabler being recruited in a museum) and I'm entirely ready for that to interact with the themes about racial politics to create some stuff that's completely off the walls. We already have the "profiling" conversation and Dylan McDermott killing his dad (Manfreddi Sinatra is an amazing name) for being racist towards his ex-wife. You can already see in the distance an arc of Stabler learning to be modern, but not too modern that he doesn't still have his cop instincts to see through the wokeness of the new rich. In the climax he finally gets his confidence back to take a shot and kill the bad guy.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I didn't know there was an order to the shows, so I watched Organized Crime before SVU, big mistake.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Extremely enjoyed both episodes although I agree that the theme for the new show sounds loving weird

2 hours of Law & Order on Thursdays! :doink:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

MJeff posted:

Yeah, that was a good episode. Although nothing beats Jack just dumping a box of bullets onto a table to show how many more bullets a modified full auto gun could fire.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I haven't really paid much attention to the L&O universe since maybe the first season of SVU after Stabler left, but I figured I had to at least check out the first episode of his return. I hadn't read anything about this new series so I was expecting this two-parter would just set up the Stabler's reason for returning before moving on to the typical case of the week fare. Then I see Dylan McDermott emerge as the antagonist and it dawns on me that this would not actually be a procedural since he was listed in the credits as a series regular. I guess I'll have to stick with it now to see how a serialized L&O plays out.

I do find it kind of weird that they chose to make the beginning of an ongoing storyline kick off as an episode of SVU before switching to a new show. It makes sense for one night as an event, but for future streaming or syndication of OC you now have to seek out a random episode of another series to get the beginning unless they work that one episode into the package like how some of the Homicide crossovers on the original L&O made it into the cable reruns.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I wish those Homicide episode were still included with related original L&O episodes. I can’t recall which channel it was that aired them together (A&E, maybe?), but none of the channels that have aired it seemingly for the last 20 years have done that. The same also goes for the handful of crossovers between the original series and SVU, as there’s a few episodes I didn’t even realize were related because I really only watched the original series (Which seemingly always had the second part of the story) and didn’t start with SVU until years and years later.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Oh yeah that reminds me. WHy the gently caress is Homicide not streaming anywhere. What the gently caress. If you’re gonna launch your own service to stream all your own poo poo, then loving stream all your poo poo. As far as I can tell, it’s owned by NBC/Universal all the way.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Hell, even before streaming, it barely got syndicated. Some Googling' says it was only on Lifetime for a few years in the late 90's, which was probably the same time when A&E would include their episode with L&O to complete the two-parters until they gave up the rights in the early 00's. I wish it were streaming, as Homicide is a show I'd love to actually go and watch again now that I'm older to see how well it holds up.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jose Oquendo posted:

Oh yeah that reminds me. WHy the gently caress is Homicide not streaming anywhere. What the gently caress. If you’re gonna launch your own service to stream all your own poo poo, then loving stream all your poo poo. As far as I can tell, it’s owned by NBC/Universal all the way.

As I understand it, the music rights are a bitch, and NBC isn't particularly keen on relicensing music for a show that approximately seventeen people watched at its peak.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

J-Spot posted:

I haven't really paid much attention to the L&O universe since maybe the first season of SVU after Stabler left, but I figured I had to at least check out the first episode of his return. I hadn't read anything about this new series so I was expecting this two-parter would just set up the Stabler's reason for returning before moving on to the typical case of the week fare. Then I see Dylan McDermott emerge as the antagonist and it dawns on me that this would not actually be a procedural since he was listed in the credits as a series regular. I guess I'll have to stick with it now to see how a serialized L&O plays out.

I do find it kind of weird that they chose to make the beginning of an ongoing storyline kick off as an episode of SVU before switching to a new show. It makes sense for one night as an event, but for future streaming or syndication of OC you now have to seek out a random episode of another series to get the beginning unless they work that one episode into the package like how some of the Homicide crossovers on the original L&O made it into the cable reruns.

They did this with the Trial By Jury premiere too and it has the inverse effect. Now whenever you're watching SVU re-runs, this episode just ends with Casey getting the absolute crap beaten out of her and having to hand the case off to someone else, it's super unsatisfying.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Also the episode from L&O where Ed Green got shot.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

fartknocker posted:

I can’t recall which channel it was that aired them together (A&E, maybe?), but none of the channels that have aired it seemingly for the last 20 years have done that.

It was TNT. Their nightly marathons were responsible for most of my procrastination in college. “Just one more episode, then I’ll write that paper.” Of course as soon as that marathon was over USA would start up an SVU marathon.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
OP doesn't mention the brief but glorious period of time when Jeff Goldblum was the lead on Criminal Intent

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
btw, for week one at least, this block was a massive success.

The last new episode of SVU did a 0.3 18-34, 0.6 18-49 and 0.9 25-54 with 3.6 million viewers
This past week's SVU did 1.0, 1.6 and 2.1 with 7.6 million viewers. And basically everyone stuck around to watch Organized Crime, unsurprisingly.

So all of the :supaburn: STABLER'S BACK :supaburn: ads you were forcefed for weeks worked. :v:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm gonna go ahead and guess that the biker guy is the culprit for this one.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Well that escalated quickly.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

MJeff posted:

Well that escalated quickly.

And also concluded quickly.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
That didn’t sound like Steven Zirnkilton...

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

fartknocker posted:

That didn’t sound like Steven Zirnkilton...

It feasibly sounds like a 60 year old Steve Zirnkilton. When's the last time he did a new intro, like 15 years ago?

Fake covid vaccines!!

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I think I appreciate the stealing vaccines story. Kind of shamelessly topical.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Hand Knit posted:

I think I appreciate the stealing vaccines story. Kind of shamelessly topical.

The lack of masks...everywhere is loving with me though

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

hell of a way to write "Stabler dating again" in to the show.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
lmao I kinda admire them just going "look I don't have time for the UC poo poo today."

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

MorrisBae posted:

The lack of masks...everywhere is loving with me though

:same:

Hand Knit posted:

hell of a way to write "Stabler dating again" in to the show.

That whole scene was lol wtf

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

fartknocker posted:

That whole scene was lol wtf

I guess it's all to set up this contrast in grieving between Stabler and McDermott, and their different approaches to intimacy. But, like, all of what that scene actually was. And ending on the hug. lmao

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
drat Stabler got his rear end whupped.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
Really, the masks...why weren’t they wearing masks in the grocery store

If the producers assumed things would be better by now...lol

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

MJeff posted:

drat Stabler got his rear end whupped.

Do we recognize eye scar guy yet?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Hand Knit posted:

Do we recognize eye scar guy yet?

Was the guy in the mask supposed to be Dylan McDermott's driver?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

MJeff posted:

Was the guy in the mask supposed to be Dylan McDermott's driver?

I can't remember whether we were shown the driver having an eye scar.