Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Probably just announcing that they're on TikTok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

stev posted:

Probably just announcing that they're on TikTok.

Imagine Thom starts dropping dance vids on TikTok

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
They’ve established a new company named “Spin With a Grin” with all five of them attached, similar to how they did just that with “Dawn Chorus LLC” just before A Moon Shaped Pool’s announcement. https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/13253649/officers

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Interesting. Someone on the subreddit mentioned something about Philip doing a solo album and that's what the news was about. Maybe there's more to it after all.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Pirate Jet posted:

They’ve established a new company named “Spin With a Grin” with all five of them attached, similar to how they did just that with “Dawn Chorus LLC” just before A Moon Shaped Pool’s announcement. https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/13253649/officers

They've been doing this for a while now, I think since In Rainbows? Never been done this for a solo project so I'd say it's definitely something Radiohead-related and so far it's only been for new albums.

Also worth noting that AMSP was released five years ago as well, so now is around the time that they'd have a new album ready to go. I doubt Covid would have affected them much given that they're quite savvy when it comes to getting things done. Considering the current environment in the UK I imagine Thom's been very fired up and productive as well.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pirate Jet posted:

Oh gently caress oh poo poo. :aaa:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
They do seem to be on a four to five year cycle nowadays soooooo

Cautious hype?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

If I remember correctly, they establish these companies shortly before the albums are actually released, so I imagine there's a finished (or very close to finished) record ready and waiting to go.

I'm curious how they'll release it whenever it does arrive however. Given Covid it seems best to replicate the In Rainbows model (although they'll probably avoid pay-what-you-want this time) so they can release it without Covid really interfering with the process, and likely establish preorders for a special physical edition as usual for sometime in the future? I imagine their focus right now is on singles and promo videos, which they'll likely have to do without the band (which is no bad thing, the Burn the Witch video was excellent). Maybe the TikTok thing is related to the promo process?

I remember them saying in interviews after AMSP released that they didn't want such a long wait between albums again because it was so hard to get started with the recording process after such a long break, so I assume that they've been working on a new album for a while and it was due for release sooner, but Covid must have slowed things down and brought them to another five year gap. I wouldn't be surprised if it was supposed to release last year and they've waited until now for things to ease up for touring reasons. UK lockdown ends fully in June, not sure about the rest of Europe and the US but I'd imagine they have sights set on a tour starting late this year?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Gimme dat new radio head album

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm going to temper my expectations somewhat, as it's Amnesiac's 20th anniversary in June and apparently Spin With a Grin was the title of an interview they did for Amnesiac.

But they didn't set up a company for OKNOTOK, so I don't know.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Also a 20yr for Amnesiac but NOT Kid A? I don’t see it.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Please Thom I just want my 20th Anniversary Kid A. I don't care if it's a year late. :(

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Wow, I suddenly realized how long it's actually been since AMSP...

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Someone on reddit pointed out that "spin with a grin" was used during the Amnesiac promotions. I guess band members have said they haven't been working on anything new, but they also lie all the time, so who knows ... but my money is on a big rear end Kid A/Amnesiac reissue

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The bonus disc will just be 14 versions of Fog, and I’ll be happy with it dammit.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
All the amnesiac b-sides kicked rear end

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Would be odd to reissue Kid A or Amnesiac a second time.

We already had the original reissues with all the b-sides, alternate takes and live songs and they're fantastic. Why would they reissue them a second time? If they had even more b-sides I think that they would have been included on the original reissues?

Then again it's 2021 and nothing makes sense so I won't rule out anything.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

HD DAD posted:

The bonus disc will just be 14 versions of Fog, and I’ll be happy with it dammit.

Yaaaas. Thom plz.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

SUNKOS posted:

We already had the original reissues with all the b-sides, alternate takes and live songs and they're fantastic. Why would they reissue them a second time? If they had even more b-sides I think that they would have been included on the original reissues?

I need more. Make more, Thom.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

14 versions of Trans-Atlantic Drawl :twisted:

Genuinely curious what they were going for with that song but I assume it started as a companion to National Anthem (the bass, the horns) and then maybe just turned into a bit a joke track? Jonny even went back to thrashing guitars for that one which I think is the last time we've ever heard him really play in that style. They were probably giggling in the studio as they wrapped it up, though.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

SUNKOS posted:

Yeah, I don’t know how much more from that era there is that hasn’t already been released. A box set that just collects it all and adds more alternate takes seems below their usual standards, but maybe not.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

SUNKOS posted:

14 versions of Trans-Atlantic Drawl :twisted:

Genuinely curious what they were going for with that song but I assume it started as a companion to National Anthem (the bass, the horns) and then maybe just turned into a bit a joke track? Jonny even went back to thrashing guitars for that one which I think is the last time we've ever heard him really play in that style. They were probably giggling in the studio as they wrapped it up, though.

TAD reminds me a lot of their more goofier On A Friday demos, in the best way possible.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

SUNKOS posted:

Those "Collectors Editions" were issued by EMI without the band's permission and have since been delisted. I doubt EMI would have had access or permission to put anything on them other than whatever had already been published by them and fell under existing contracts. They used to be up on Spotify and were deleted as soon as the band moved to XL Records. The Amnesiac B-sides are still available on Spotify since the actual singles (EPs, really) they're on are up there, but there's no band-sanctioned collection of all the released Amnesiac-era material in one place. Plus Nigel mentioned around the OKNOTOK release that there wasn't much left unreleased from OK Computer because they didn't retain much session material, but that he had a ton of stuff from the Kid A sessions.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

They tend to reuse little phrases or names a lot, in ways that don't necessarily imply any direct connection between things.

It having been an Amnesiac interview isn't necessarily that significant. Think of all the weird Kid A era scrawls and fragments that have popped up again decades later.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Volte posted:

Those "Collectors Editions" were issued by EMI without the band's permission and have since been delisted. I doubt EMI would have had access or permission to put anything on them other than whatever had already been published by them and fell under existing contracts. They used to be up on Spotify and were deleted as soon as the band moved to XL Records. The Amnesiac B-sides are still available on Spotify since the actual singles (EPs, really) they're on are up there, but there's no band-sanctioned collection of all the released Amnesiac-era material in one place. Plus Nigel mentioned around the OKNOTOK release that there wasn't much left unreleased from OK Computer because they didn't retain much session material, but that he had a ton of stuff from the Kid A sessions.

Exactly. Pretty sure the band already said they were working on a 20th anniversary release, the Kid A/Amnesiac version of OKNOTOK.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Please inject any and all Amnesiac content directly into my veins, Mr. Yorke. Thank you in advance.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Barry Foster posted:

They tend to reuse little phrases or names a lot, in ways that don't necessarily imply any direct connection between things.

It having been an Amnesiac interview isn't necessarily that significant. Think of all the weird Kid A era scrawls and fragments that have popped up again decades later.

This is true. The last album used Dawn Chorus for the company name, which ended up being a song on Thom's solo album years later. Probably was a track they were working on for AMSP and couldn't get to work at the time, though. The Xendless Xurbia (think I got that right?) name they used for the first company they established for the release of In Rainbows just riffed on OK Computer promo posters.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Boywhiz88 posted:

Also a 20yr for Amnesiac but NOT Kid A? I don’t see it.

I think they’d do both in the same package.

I’d be very down for a new Kid A reissue, just as much as for a new album, if only for more of Donwood’s art from the era.

Very hard to tell what’s happening here. On one hand, band members have said as recently as a few months ago that none of them have any new music in the pipe, and they did say when OKNOTOK came out that they’d like to do something similar for Kid A/Amnesiac some day. On the other, they never set up an LLC for reissues or solo albums before, and getting the administration of TikTok to push your page alongside that seems like way too big of a media push for just a re-release.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I just noticed the background music in that TikTok video is from the ending of the early live version of Paranoid Android from the OK Computer Minidiscs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjFqfOu_IPY&t=279s

I wonder if they're working on a live album of some kind

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

New old From the Basement set from 2005 with Thom playing tracks from In Rainbows/In Rainbows Disk 2 and The Eraser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHs15fe8AnE

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

That's probably my favourite version of Videotape. I used to just listen to it on repeat when it came out on youtube (which was quite an exciting novelty, which is weird to think about)

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
https://pitchfork.com/news/thom-yorke-and-jonny-greenwood-form-new-band-the-smile-performing-tonight-for-glastonbury-2021-livestream/

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

20 quid for a live stream, tsk

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

For charity I think?

Excited to see how it turns out (not paying though) but in the back of my head I'm just thinking this pushes back more Radiohead material for at least another year.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

stev posted:

For charity I think?

Excited to see how it turns out (not paying though) but in the back of my head I'm just thinking this pushes back more Radiohead material for at least another year.

Or it came about because they were already writing together. And they had ideas that didn’t fit the direction of the other material.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

So that's what the new company was started for, I guess they must have an album in the works? Curious what they'll sound like.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Disappointed it’s not just Thom, Jonny, and CR-78.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

SUNKOS posted:

So that's what the new company was started for, I guess they must have an album in the works? Curious what they'll sound like.

I don't think so - Companies House lists the whole band as directors of Spin With A Grin whereas this is just Thom and Jonny.

E: I didn't realise Thom and Jonny set up another company in April Called Self Help Tapes Touring which I guess is this, and implies it's just live shows at the moment. I don't know.

stev fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 22, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

stev posted:

I don't think so - Companies House lists the whole band as directors of Spin With A Grin whereas this is just Thom and Jonny.

Maybe the whole band didn’t want to play Glastonbury but Thom and Johnny are going to be playing new Radiohead songs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Didn't know that about the companies, such as there being a second one. The one with the whole band is odd since they usually set them up just before an album release but it's been a while now.