Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lincoln

Ladies.
...was BACK IN BLACK by AC/DC. It was the summer of 1980, and I was either 10 years old, or about to turn 10 years old. I pedaled my red 10-speed to the Sound Warehouse at the strip mall because I was cool and was going to buy a record. The guy said, "Look, it's a totally black album cover," and that's all I needed to hear.

Turns out it was one of the best decisions I ever made. If I had a time machine, I would travel back to the summer of 1980 and tell myself, "You're a bad-rear end, do it. You'll still be rockin out to this poo poo in 2021, driving around with a sense of existential dread with gray hair in your mid-life-crisis convertible, and it will be an anchor."

And I'd be right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut

the first cd i bought was hang ups by goldfingewr

Lincoln

Ladies.

nut posted:

the first cd i bought was hang ups by goldfingewr

I don't know what that means, so I just now listened to the whole album. Sounds like a cross between Green Day, with a bit of the Violent Femmes and Ten Hands thrown in. That's not a criticism. I get it. It's a distillation of what I would have liked at the age of 13.

Entropic

patriarchy sucks
i think mine was the Matrix sound track which still slaps tbh

Lil Swamp Booger Baby

It was the album Hotshot by Shaggy

nut

Lincoln posted:

I don't know what that means, so I just now listened to the whole album. Sounds like a cross between Green Day, with a bit of the Violent Femmes and Ten Hands thrown in. That's not a criticism. I get it. It's a distillation of what I would have liked at the age of 13.

i'm p sure every copy of that album sold is thanks to the tony hawk pro skater soundtrack

barnold

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
i don't remember the first CD i personally bought at the store. i remember looking wistfully at gusto by guttermouth but it didn't have I'm Destroying The World On It so i put it back. what i was looking for was Covered With Ants but it wasn't in stock. it is one of my earliest memories of going to Borders with my mom or whatever

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

my first album was aerosmith's Permanent Vacation and I must live with that

Join the BYOB Army

thank you again Saoshyant!!

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."

I think my first album purchase was both of these, at the same time

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Lil Swamp Booger Baby

barnold posted:

i don't remember the first CD i personally bought at the store. i remember looking wistfully at gusto by guttermouth but it didn't have I'm Destroying The World On It so i put it back. what i was looking for was Covered With Ants but it wasn't in stock. it is one of my earliest memories of going to Borders with my mom or whatever

I didn't have to look for Covered With Ants at Borders I brought the ants to the store

Lil Swamp Booger Baby

"Why are there ants in your wallet" they asked

"Huh??" I said "Those are ants???"

Ass-penny

I got cassettes of Wallflowers Bringing Down the Horse and Smash Mouth's Fush Yo Mang for Christmas I think in 5th grade. I think the first music I bought for myself was Weird Al's Bad Hair Day. It uh... took some time for my music tastes to really mature.

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
Dumb and Dumber soundtrack :corsair:

FutonForensic

the first cd i owned was a Creed album gifted to me by my extremely Christian middle school friend, whose mom encouraged him to give it to me because she was worried about my soul. mp3s were already a thing by that point so it is one of the only pieces of physical music media i have.

Ass-penny

What about your first vinyl record? Mine was A Touch of Klez by the Klezmore Conservatory Band. It is substantially cooler than my first tape or CD.

barnold

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

rear end-penny posted:

What about your first vinyl record? Mine was A Touch of Klez by the Klezmore Conservatory Band. It is substantially cooler than my first tape or CD.

the first vinyl I intentionally went out and said "I need this" is B-Sides & Rarities 2xLP by CKY. limited release colored vinyl (purple and red) and also I was one of the first 300 people to order which means I have an ultra rare copy of Live At West Chester University. as a real fan of the band I don't keep up too too much with auction prices as I'm not interested in selling at all but both the 2xLP album and the bonus disc keep going up in value so I'm gonna go ahead and say good purchase barny way to go pal

xcheopis

First record I bought with my very own money was Alice Cooper's Welcome To My Nightmare. It was about $3.00 new.

With a gun for a lover and a shot for the pain inside

wimsy

Flaming Lips - Clouds Taste Metallic

CatBlack

hello world
first CD: Music From the Motion Picture Jimmy Neutron Boy Genius
first Vinyl: The Velvet Underground and Nico

Ass-penny

barnold posted:

the first vinyl I intentionally went out and said "I need this" is B-Sides & Rarities 2xLP by CKY. limited release colored vinyl (purple and red) and also I was one of the first 300 people to order which means I have an ultra rare copy of Live At West Chester University. as a real fan of the band I don't keep up too too much with auction prices as I'm not interested in selling at all but both the 2xLP album and the bonus disc keep going up in value so I'm gonna go ahead and say good purchase barny way to go pal

Wow I don't think I have any pressings that limited. Colored records are super fun, especially if you didn't realize it when you make the purchase. In January of 2020 I picked up L'Orange's The Life and Death of Scenery on vinyl because it is such a amazing and conceptually driven hip hop record and when I took it out of the dust jacket I couldn't believe it didn't mention the coloring on the plastic wrap.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD

the first CD i bought was royksopp's melody am

this was like, a week ago. i don't even have a CD player. it was just 5 bucks though so why not

the record store had deltron 3030 on vinyl but it was like thirty bux and also i don't have a record player :( (my roommate has one but it's one of those crosley ones that chews records up, so i've heard)

Ass-penny

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

the first CD i bought was royksopp's melody am

this was like, a week ago. i don't even have a CD player. it was just 5 bucks though so why not

the record store had deltron 3030 on vinyl but it was like thirty bux and also i don't have a record player :( (my roommate has one but it's one of those crosley ones that chews records up, so i've heard)

Was that Deltron used? Newer records typically run (in my experience) from the high teens to low thirties of dollars, new at least. The only really "contemporary" record I bought used was Event 2 by Deltron and I want to say I only paid 20ish for it after tax, which I thought wasn't too bad. Also a big fan of supporting touring bands even if you don't have the means to play media you bought from them.

Do Crosley stylus' really chew up grooves that bad?

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Dr. Chainsaws PhD

rear end-penny posted:

Was that Deltron used? Newer records typically run (in my experience) from the high teens to low thirties of dollars, new at least. The only really "contemporary" record I bought used was Event 2 by Deltron and I want to say I only paid 20ish for it after tax, which I thought wasn't too bad. Also a big fan of supporting touring bands even if you don't have the means to play media you bought from them.

Do Crosley stylus' really chew up grooves that bad?

it was a brand new sealed vinyl, yeah! it was closer to 28 dollars tbh

and they apparently do chew up records bc of cheap styli and high tracking force. i think you can buy a better stylus from some chinese company and also hack the tracking force with some small weights but

fps_nug

horsing around no longer
my first CD I ever owned was a scratched to poo poo CD of dookie by green day. found it on the ground when I was a young lad, and id imagine it had a big influence on the music I listen to today. my first vinyl was free sweatpants by blockhead I think? not super sure, since I started collecting records recently.

I would also be remiss to not mention that is a beautiful story and sentiment op

fps_nug fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Apr 3, 2021

Bright Bart

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
It's wild that you happened upon an album you can still listen to years later. I no longer take joy in a lot of what brought it to me back then and I'm not even sure it's a development of taste so much as being less euphoric and less able take pleasure in most anything.

It's also wild that if someone bought a vinyl as their first physical piece of music you can't tell if they're two decades older or one decade younger than I am. Even the name of the album barely provides a hint!

Chris James 2

Chumbawamba's Tubthumper was my first CD

I didn't get into vinyl (even briefly) until like seven years ago, so Taylor Swift's Red was my first record

sig by Heather Papps

Escape From Noise

The first CD I bought was Eve 6's self-titled album. Lol. Remember Eve 6? I can still sing their hit Inside Out from start to finish despite only listening to it every so many years. Can't remember any other songs off that album. It also ended up being the first album I gave away a few years later.

biosterous

i can't remember for sure but there's a good chance that this was my first album i bought/owned

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Escape From Noise

biosterous posted:

i can't remember for sure but there's a good chance that this was my first album i bought/owned

I had to look them up and came across this nugget:

Wikipedia posted:

Touring highlights include Pope John Paul II's 1999 visit to St. Louis and dc Talk's Supernatural support tour.

Thunder Moose

S.J.C.
Mine was a nickleback album :negative:

alnilam

Like many people my first music purchases were very cringe cause i was like 10

First purchase ever (as in asked my parents for money to buy it) was neverending story ST cassette tape

first CD was i believe i can fly single with space jam themed cover

alnilam

Second CD was limp bizkit's significant other

Luckily my sisters had a lot of good music that i borrowed a lot / copied tapes of, my parents had good music too

Sally

Don't post Small Dash!
first CD i actually bought and paid for with money was Green Jelly's 333:

I had no idea what it was. I was like.. seven and my dad brought me into A&B sound with him and said I could buy a CD. I found the first one with some cool looking cartoons and grabbed it, haha. i was later thrilled as a nerdy kid to discover it was used in Spider-Man/Venom: Maximum Carnage the game. This track is still a banger: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XJG8ywk7eQ

i also remember playing the Bear Song a lot on those old Walmart song sampler kiosks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV6RMVnk0C8

other than those two, the album was only okay. Cereal Killer was better imo.

first vinyl i ever bought was Wolf Parade's Apologies to the Queen Mary:

saw them open for Arcade Fire with La Belle Orcheste. loving awesome show. also one of my fav albums of all time. i've own it on vinyl twice (lost the first copy and rebought the special edition reissue) and also have a CD copy. so good.

Modern World rules; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tTgqxkocf8

and i've always loved the intensity of Fancy Claps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8zceG6Vok8

Sally

Don't post Small Dash!

barnold posted:

Covered With Ants was a drat solid album. I bought it solely because of Tony Hawk's 3 and I'm Destroying The World, but i was pleasantly surprised to find i dug the whole album

Sally

Don't post Small Dash!
i've never bought a new cassette... but i remember the first time i bought some used ones was because I had a lovely beater car with only a tape deck. i grabbed a Roy Orbison's Greatest Hits, a Steppenwolf one with "Don't Step on the Grass, Sam" on it, and The Clash's Combat Rock at a pawn shop

Escape From Noise

Have you ever heard Flipper's rendition of Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5ZNdrkXtl4

Moo Cowabunga

[Office Worker.

“my mum” bought music box for me

Platinum User Pot Smoke Phoenix!

VANISHER

HEATHER PAPPS

https://giant.gfycat.com/WellgroomedImperfectHaddock.webm the vanisher

Moo Cowabunga

[Office Worker.

the first album I bought myself was Mogwai Young Team on the instruction of my much older brother but the nuance of post rock was lost on me for a couple years.

Platinum User Pot Smoke Phoenix!

VANISHER

HEATHER PAPPS

https://giant.gfycat.com/WellgroomedImperfectHaddock.webm the vanisher

nut

before CDs I think the first tape I bought was smashmouth, born a goon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally

Don't post Small Dash!

Escape From Noise posted:

Have you ever heard Flipper's rendition of Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5ZNdrkXtl4

haha no but this is great

it reminds me of this cover of "Don't Talk Put Your Head On My Shoulders" done by a Xiu Xiu side project