Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
yeah, I’m gonna go out on a massive limb here and say that the box marked “BEHRINGER” is probably the weak link in your system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

yeah, I’m gonna go out on a massive limb here and say that the box marked “BEHRINGER” is probably the weak link in your system

It’s for controlling the subs, doesn’t touch the main speakers. The preamp has two outputs, one that goes to the main amp and another that goes to the bass system. If anything, the weak point of my system is the B&O 125ASX2. If you really wanna critique:

Preamp: McIntosh C712
Amp: B&O 125ASX2
DAC: Topping D90
Phono pre: Vista Audio Phono2

Sources: AudioLab 6000CDT, AirPort Express, my TV, Denon DP-57M + DL301mkii into the Phono2, Empire 208+SME3009+random moving magnet cartridges driving the C712’s phono input

Speakers: QUAD ESL-63’s rebuilt by Sheldon Stokes
Subs: Strategically placed Yamaha servo subs managed by the Behringer thing, overall bass system volume control by a cheap passive pre I bought on Amazon.

Furman power conditioners, decent interconnects and 12AWG OFC speaker wires

RIP Paul Walker fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 2, 2021

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

RIP Paul Walker posted:

They are. I've had MMGs in the past, and the LRSs are much better speakers. I actually liked the .7's a lot, but they weren't great at low volumes and there always seemed to be something off about them compared to the older Magnepans with round voice coil wire versus the flat. My rebuilt MG-I's were brilliant at low volumes, even in a small apartment. I should have kept those, but they're currently being enjoyed by a good friend of mine.

After going to an audio store and listening to $17,000 "normal" speakers, I've decided to keep the Quads. Shame, 'cause the conventional speakers look a lot nicer. I do plan to pick up a Magnepan DWM or two, as the used market will allow, to add some bass reinforcement between the Quads and my subwoofers. Probably also going to swap out the Behringer DCX2496 I'm using to EQ the subs for a MiniDSP.
I have a MiniDSP SHD and it's great. The ability to apply filters/eq/crossovers/DIRAC etc. make it so powerful and useful in correcting for speaker and room issues.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Yuns posted:

I have a MiniDSP SHD and it's great. The ability to apply filters/eq/crossovers/DIRAC etc. make it so powerful and useful in correcting for speaker and room issues.

Nice. I think I’m sold. The DCX2496 doesn’t have native integration with REW like my old “feedback destroyer” did, which I really missed.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Ok Comboomer posted:

Well it may be marked as one of one of Uli's competitors' if you look on the inside

That was mean, sorry

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!
Finally got around to ordering a new diaphragm for one of my La Scalas. It's had a Mismatched mid horn in it since I got them.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

just found this thread, sharing my gear :)

-Rotel RC-995, RB-981 Power Amp
-Technics SL-6
-KEF R101 speakers

Really happy with how it has turned out. I got heavily into vinyl during the pandemic, like many others. Played around with all kinds of gear. Had an older Technics at first with auto-return, then a Technics 1200 M3D, tried some JBL L3s/L5 speakers. Some weird and ugly Micro Acoustic FRM-1 speakers. Tried to implement a Sonos connect amp (newer gen) and have owned just about every Sonos speaker.

Ended up with cats, and yeah, can't really have an open turntable with them around. They fried my amp by crossing the speaker wires. I picked up my SL-6 on a whim for the garage, not knowing what a treasure I landed into. Paid about $150, I think they're worth $600 now? Had it tuned up a the local shop, added an internal ground. It's really the perfect turntable for people with cats. lol. I'd like to check out an SL-8 or 10 at some point.

the KEF Reference 101s are a real dream. Had the shop add banana plugs to them. Tons of bass. Not sure I'll ever need tower speakers.

I've met so many cool people/characters along this journey, just happy to talk about things they're passionate about. I have, however, found some record shops and audio repair shops to have the Simpsons comic book guy sort of attitude. Y'all want my money or not? Guess that happens with any hobby.

But remind me how bad of an idea it would be to tuck those speakers into those cabinets, it's so tempting. I even thought about trying to squeeze them in horizontally--checked the manual, apparently it is a feature of the design---but, yeah, I know it'll effect performance. Don't know the industry terms here

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 12, 2021

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Hello, I bought a Audio-Technica LP3 to listen to records. I have not bought any powered speakers, but I have used CRT speaker and speakers that received power over speaker wire using a wire to rca converter. Every time, the audio is very quiet, and I cannot hear anything. I tried changing the cartridge and adjusting tracking, but no luck (other than my records sounding better). What should I do? Any helpful tips

thank you for reading

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I just looked up the LP3 and it already has a built in pre amp (I assume you have the correct settings otherwise on the LP3 i.e. AUX/Line out not Phono) so you're just going to need a small amp to drive your speakers.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Yuns posted:

I just looked up the LP3 and it already has a built in pre amp (I assume you have the correct settings otherwise on the LP3 i.e. AUX/Line out not Phono) so you're just going to need a small amp to drive your speakers.

Thanks for the help. What do you recommend for a small amp?

Sorry for the noob questions, ever worked with vinyl before

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Smoking Crow posted:

That’s kinda stereo basics really. You need an amp to power speakers. That’s the intermediary between a component like a record player or cd player or tuner and the speakers.

If you have a Salvation Army/goodwill/savers near you you can get an amp for $15-$30 that will be fine for what you need.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Smoking Crow posted:

This little guy drives a pair of bookshelf speakers just fine, and you can add Bluetooth or a Raspberry Pi or something too.

Topping MX3 Mini Multifunction Bluetooth Digital HiFi Headphone Amp Audio Amplifier 40w https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TX8J2GX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_6J4MPHJWJBFHB251WARC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

eddiewalker posted:

This little guy drives a pair of bookshelf speakers just fine, and you can add Bluetooth or a Raspberry Pi or something too.

Topping MX3 Mini Multifunction Bluetooth Digital HiFi Headphone Amp Audio Amplifier 40w https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TX8J2GX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_6J4MPHJWJBFHB251WARC?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

For just $10 more (or the same price for a used model) you can get a Sony 2-channel integrated amp with Bluetooth that’s going to give you a lot more inputs (including phono stage).

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-STRDH19...18532409&sr=8-3

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Maybe I should be playing my 78s on this:

Any and all recs on how to apply the TLC this thing needs welcome. Is this a cheap piece that I should sell or something actually decent to play records on?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

petit choux posted:

Any and all recs on how to apply the TLC this thing needs welcome. Is this a cheap piece that I should sell or something actually decent to play records on?

I have a pair of KLH Model Seventeen speakers I’d love to pair with that. KLH was an MIT offshoot sound lab with a pretty strong heritage (Henry Kloss was a real start guy). I don’t think their turntables are known as being super high end, but still very good.

I’d say it’s from the 60’s, so any number of things could be wrong with it, but if it works and seems to hold speed it might not need more than a good deoxit of the switches and pots and some grease.

A little tlc on the plinth wouldn’t hurt either.

(If I had that I would definitely put the time into it to run it for a while)

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 17, 2021

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

lol I love the cute little needle brush

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BigFactory posted:

I have a pair of KLH Model Seventeen speakers I’d love to pair with that. KLH was an MIT offshoot sound lab with a pretty strong heritage (Henry Kloss was a real start guy). I don’t think their turntables are known as being super high end, but still very good.

I’d say it’s from the 60’s, so any number of things could be wrong with it, but if it works and seems to hold speed it might not need more than a good deoxit of the switches and pots and some grease.

A little tlc on the plinth wouldn’t hurt either.

(If I had that I would definitely put the time into it to run it for a while)

How about the wood?

I'm going to power it up. If it works without much effort I'll keep it and use it for the 78s. It may even provide a suitable coloring for them. I've got some really ancient 78 belly dance records I've been aching to rip for a couple of years now. I'll have to get some spray deoxit but I've been getting up in my soldering poo poo lately anyway so it's inevitable. What grease, where? I'll report back after I try powering it.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

lol I love the cute little needle brush

4 eels

Discernibly Turgid
Mar 30, 2010

This was not the improvement I was asking for!

petit choux posted:

It’s an excellent machine for 78s! Before playing any 78s, however, you need to check that you have a steel needle (NOT a diamond stylus) for 78s. I recommend Pfanstiehl (not really more expensive than the handful of others out there, but top notch for consistency and durability.

If you put a diamond-tipped cartridge on a 78 you can literally watch it cut that shellac into ribbons.

Belts etc. shouldn’t be difficult to find and you may need to remove some crusted-on old grease here and there. A tiny bit of lithium grease for metal-on-metal sliding stuff, light machine oil for any rotating bits. Use a very small amount, run it, and then figure out if it needs more. If you’re unsure, there are numerous articles online about cobbling together an extremely cheap, DIY stethoscope so that you can literally listen to each bit of the table as you live it and tell if it’s fine, needs more lube, or has filth in the way.

Check the solder joints at the power switch and on the head shell. If you find the power switch needs an Arthur Fonzerelli touch to power the unit on, it’s as easy as gently prying open the switch, and cleaning the parts with Deoxit. Take the extra 10 minutes to actually remove the contact parts and actually wipe them clean with the stuff.

It should do a great job, but if you find a dead muskrat or angry genie inside (or fire,) it’ll easily be sellable for parts and a fully functioning Benjamin Miracord is incredibly inexpensive and there’s limitless parts availability and a large support community for those.

Have fun with that

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Okay, it doesn't appear to power up. Not trying to sell ITT particularly but anybody interested can PM.

BigFactory posted:

When I was a kid Garrard turntables were kind of a big thing, IIRC.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

petit choux posted:

How about the wood?
That’s what I meant by the plinth. If it’s veneer, which it probably is, you could very lightly sand it if you had to, but you might just want to try a little danish oil first. Start in an inconspicuous place to make sure you like the color. Furniture wax is another idea. I waxed a pair of teak veneered speakers and I liked how they came out. If you do have to sand it, be extremely gentle. The veneer isn’t thick and you can sand through it. Maybe it’s a solid plinth, though?

quote:

I'm going to power it up. If it works without much effort I'll keep it and use it for the 78s. It may even provide a suitable coloring for them. I've got some really ancient 78 belly dance records I've been aching to rip for a couple of years now. I'll have to get some spray deoxit but I've been getting up in my soldering poo poo lately anyway so it's inevitable. What grease, where? I'll report back after I try powering it.

The bearing grease for the motor can and will dry up over time. It can be very worthwhile to remove the old grease and relubricate. There are a million YouTube videos on how to do it for various turntables. I don’t know exactly how to access the motor on that model, but I bet hifiengine has a service manual.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Discernibly Turgid posted:

It’s an excellent machine for 78s! Before playing any 78s, however, you need to check that you have a steel needle (NOT a diamond stylus) for 78s. I recommend Pfanstiehl (not really more expensive than the handful of others out there, but top notch for consistency and durability.

If you put a diamond-tipped cartridge on a 78 you can literally watch it cut that shellac into ribbons.

Belts etc. shouldn’t be difficult to find and you may need to remove some crusted-on old grease here and there. A tiny bit of lithium grease for metal-on-metal sliding stuff, light machine oil for any rotating bits. Use a very small amount, run it, and then figure out if it needs more. If you’re unsure, there are numerous articles online about cobbling together an extremely cheap, DIY stethoscope so that you can literally listen to each bit of the table as you live it and tell if it’s fine, needs more lube, or has filth in the way.

Check the solder joints at the power switch and on the head shell. If you find the power switch needs an Arthur Fonzerelli touch to power the unit on, it’s as easy as gently prying open the switch, and cleaning the parts with Deoxit. Take the extra 10 minutes to actually remove the contact parts and actually wipe them clean with the stuff.

It should do a great job, but if you find a dead muskrat or angry genie inside (or fire,) it’ll easily be sellable for parts and a fully functioning Benjamin Miracord is incredibly inexpensive and there’s limitless parts availability and a large support community for those.

Have fun with that

Wow, great reply, thanks. I'm kind of leaning toward just reselling it since I have too many pastimes already. And are you recommending this Benjamin Miracord as a leading choice? If so, thanks.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BigFactory posted:

That’s what I meant by the plinth. If it’s veneer, which it probably is, you could very lightly sand it if you had to, but you might just want to try a little danish oil first. Start in an inconspicuous place to make sure you like the color. Furniture wax is another idea. I waxed a pair of teak veneered speakers and I liked how they came out. If you do have to sand it, be extremely gentle. The veneer isn’t thick and you can sand through it. Maybe it’s a solid plinth, though?

The bearing grease for the motor can and will dry up over time. It can be very worthwhile to remove the old grease and relubricate. There are a million YouTube videos on how to do it for various turntables. I don’t know exactly how to access the motor on that model, but I bet hifiengine has a service manual.

Also a really helpful reply. That plinth, then, is really nice, all by itself. That and the large, fully intact turntable cover make this one really appealing. I'm now pretty sad, this looks like more work than I feel ready to take on RN.

Discernibly Turgid
Mar 30, 2010

This was not the improvement I was asking for!

petit choux posted:

Wow, great reply, thanks. I'm kind of leaning toward just reselling it since I have too many pastimes already. And are you recommending this Benjamin Miracord as a leading choice? If so, thanks.

Yeah, the Miracord is simple, bulletproof, and is one of the very best at consistent 78 speed (even if the cutters at the time of recording had a spongy electrical infrastructure bedeviling them, you don’t need to compound the errors.) alignment is VERY simple on the Miracord, but do make sure you have an appropriate needle/cartridge before you damage some genuinely irreplaceable stuff.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Bring back built-in needle brushes please.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Discernibly Turgid posted:

Yeah, the Miracord is simple, bulletproof, and is one of the very best at consistent 78 speed (even if the cutters at the time of recording had a spongy electrical infrastructure bedeviling them, you don’t need to compound the errors.) alignment is VERY simple on the Miracord, but do make sure you have an appropriate needle/cartridge before you damage some genuinely irreplaceable stuff.

I will def check in with you guys all the way on that. But ATM I'm still having a decent time getting my new ripping setup together, and actually listening (and ripping [for personal use, natch]) to all this 33 vinyl I've gotten over the past few months.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

petit choux posted:

When I was a kid Garrard turntables were kind of a big thing, IIRC.

I think garrards were definitely quality machines, right? A step down from Thorens and Empire and stuff like that, but very good.

I guess garrard had entry level up to higher quality decks, so it might depend on what model you’re taking about.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 17, 2021

captain chauncey
May 6, 2009

You eat pieces of shit for breakfast?

petit choux posted:

It looks like KLH used a Garrard AT5 for that one, which is basically a full-size platter version of the Autoslim chassis that was their bread and butter line though the 60s. it's solid mid-fi per the era's definition. Vinylengine will have many posts on their Garrard forum about getting them cleaned up. The mechanicals are generally well built and not too hard to service. Basically most posts that mention the Autoslim chassis should be applicable, but in particular the AT6 and AT60, which were the more commonly available models that weren't built into another brand's system.

Unless there's something really wrong like full-on bent or broken parts, 99% of getting a Garrard going again (aside from a new idler) is meticulous cleaning and selective re-application of grease. The factory stuff tended to turn to glue over time.

captain chauncey fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 18, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

captain chauncey posted:

It looks like KLH used a Garrard AT5 for that one, which is basically a full-size platter version of the Autoslim chassis that was their bread and butter line though the 60s. it's solid mid-fi per the era's definition. Vinylengine will have many posts on their Garrard forum about getting them cleaned up. The mechanicals are generally well built and not too hard to service. Basically most posts that mention the Autoslim chassis should be applicable, but in particular the AT6 and AT60, which were the more commonly available models that weren't built into another brand's system.

Unless there's something really wrong like full-on bent or broken parts, 99% of getting a Garrard going again (aside from a new idler) is meticulous cleaning and selective re-application of grease. The factory stuff tended to turn to glue over time.

Which naturally applies to anything that old that relies on bearings. You lot know an awful lot about this stuff collectively, I'm quite impressed once again. Thanks so much, this is a lovely piece but I may not keep it, may put it in the hands of somebody more inclined. Though as you can see, there's nothing bent or broken here. Here's a last pic.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

petit choux posted:

Which naturally applies to anything that old that relies on bearings. You lot know an awful lot about this stuff collectively, I'm quite impressed once again. Thanks so much, this is a lovely piece but I may not keep it, may put it in the hands of somebody more inclined. Though as you can see, there's nothing bent or broken here. Here's a last pic.

Is that an amp as well?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Wouldn't be likely to have tone and volume controls on a record player with no amp. Curious that it has RCA jacks for the line out, though, in that case. But that's not so rare for 'mid-fi' gear of that era I guess. This is probably better than I had growing up.

ED: it's not so heavy so I'm guessing it's not that much of an amp.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Lots of stuff from that era had built-in amps with RCA speaker outputs and a tape-out. I have a desktop reel-to-reel that is similar. I just use the line-out to run through my actual amp.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BigFactory posted:

I think it's veneer. It's really nice though and it mostly just has moisture damage from the condensation inside/outside the plastic cover over a span of years, probably in an attic where temperature extremes could cause a pretty strong differential at sunrise and sunset, resulting in trace condensation on the inner or outer surface. Just minor discoloration really. I think I could still make it pretty with some orange oil and furniture wax and I'm sure there's plenty of better ways, too.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Sold my Minidisc player awhile back and regretted it, I was lucky last week and found a Sony MZ-RH1 for 75 bucks. Now to make mix discs again!

Anyone else play with Minidisc?

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

are they getting popular again? I bought a fancy one way back when they were new, I'll have to dig it out...

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
I remember buying a yamaha cd player with toslink out in the nineties so I could do digital output to my MD player, that thing was so cool for a few years.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

We had a big discussion about MD in the audiophile thread not too long ago.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3166333&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=213

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

Ignore the kids toys, but just got back a pair of DCM Time Windows that i loaned off... 8 years ago or so? I have a much better amp and source setup now and they sound pretty cool. Big sound stage that changes drastically depending on how you have them positioned. Not sure I’m ready to make them my main drivers, but wanted to share!

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
I love those old seventies speakers, reminds me of my epi m400 towers I blew up that had 4 tweeters and 4 mids each facing in a different direction.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

large hands posted:

I love those old seventies speakers, reminds me of my epi m400 towers I blew up that had 4 tweeters and 4 mids each facing in a different direction.

I used to have this pair that had slate tops, they were cute, I bet they're worth a bit now too. Yeah, here's somebody trying to get a grand for them on etsy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib

large hands posted:

It’s a neat effect and after using them for 3ish hours I’ve really warmed up to the sound. They just require such specific positioning and it doesn’t really fit in with my life right now (see baby toys).

The one thing i regret is that they revealed motor hum in my turntable that isn’t as forward on my other speakers. Now i feel like i gotta fix it...