Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
On weird pitchers this is a good thread too:

https://twitter.com/SamFishell/status/1377857312866504704

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I also thought I’d somehow missed that Eloy died and had to Google.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Josh Donaldson injured running the bases, blown save, extra innings walkoff loss

Twins baseball is BACK baby!!!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Gregory Polanco had covid-19 last July and he's completely done, he can't throw the ball from deep right anymore and just chasing a grounder down tires him out.

On the football side Miles Garrett also looks like poo poo post-covid-19, this is going to cut a lot of careers short.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

bradzilla posted:

Josh Donaldson injured running the bases, blown save, extra innings walkoff loss

Twins baseball is BACK baby!!!

Designated Runner now

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

https://www.chron.com/sports/astros/article/Astros-fans-guide-to-booing-every-team-in-baseball-16066746.php

This is some petty bullshit but I'm totally here for a lot of it especially the one that says "gently caress the Rangers and their 100% capacity bullshit"

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

No Safe Word posted:

https://www.chron.com/sports/astros/article/Astros-fans-guide-to-booing-every-team-in-baseball-16066746.php

This is some petty bullshit but I'm totally here for a lot of it especially the one that says "gently caress the Rangers and their 100% capacity bullshit"

Petty sports rivalries rule. On board with this.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

STAC Goat posted:

I'm ready for baseball but after losing Game 1 on the extra inning runner on second thing I'm also ready for a day off. Ease back in.

They lost in the 9th inning not the 10th really.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Grittybeard posted:

This reminds me of the Greinke story when he first got to spring training with the Royals he asked them if they wanted him to throw hard, like 'I can throw hard if you want me to.' It's always been interpreted as him being smart about not overthrowing.

I'm halfway convinced in Zack's mind he was like 'do I have to work at this or will you just let me be funky?'

I know everyone has their favorite Grienke story, but in case it hasn't been shared in awhile:

Mike Jirscle tells this story about telling Zack he was being called up and he pulls him into his office and tells him hey, the Royals are calling you up. Congrats. I'm really proud of you, etc. And Grienke just kind of sits there and goes well I was thinking, could we ask them to send me back down to try shortstop? I think I'd be pretty good. Start me in Single-A and I'll work my way up. And Jirscle is like what are you talking about? You're going to the bugs. This is the dream! And Zack sits there a second and goes. Oh. Okay.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Did the White Sox inadvertantly have an incredible "Eloy is dead" April Fools joke? TLR grew a sense of humor sometime recently

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Ah Bruce Drennan, who was booted off the air in Cleveland after his home was raided in a massive sports gambling investigation and then did jail time for tax fraud.

He was a decent broadcaster in the 80s but has hosted a “IM YELLING AT EVERYTHING ALL
THE TIME AND WE ARE GONNA DO SOME HOT TAKES” show on cable for almost 20 years now. His voice is like dragging a steel can over a cheese grater

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The Dollop had a great episode on Rube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0zI3Ed0kTQ

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Rube Waddell should be the patron Saint of SAS. He

- would frequently run on to the field to pitch mere seconds before the game was supposed to start
- would forget to wear his uniform under his street clothes, and then rip his street clothes off without remembering he was butt rear end naked
- would leave in the middle of a game to chase and help firefighters
- would be distracted on the mound by dogs in the stands to the point of being unaware he was still supposed to be pitching
- acted in vaudeville, sometimes during the season
- was bitten by a lion
- passed out drunk during a game
- carried a flaming stove out of a building with his bare hands.

Dude was legit crazy but lived about 5 fascinating lifetimes in less than 40 years.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

No Safe Word posted:

quote:

Boo the Padres for the same reason you secretly hated the head cheerleader and starting quarterback when you were in high school — they are better and hotter than you.

Makes sense

Grittybeard posted:

This reminds me of the Greinke story when he first got to spring training with the Royals he asked them if they wanted him to throw hard, like 'I can throw hard if you want me to.' It's always been interpreted as him being smart about not overthrowing.

I'm halfway convinced in Zack's mind he was like 'do I have to work at this or will you just let me be funky?'

Would you be surprised if he started throwing 96 again out of nowhere at some point in the season for exactly one game?

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
The man on 2nd in extras rule is good and cool now. So are limited seating crowds when they contain drunk 20-something women.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
yesterday's schedule was great, let's look at what today's got on offer......oh

only one day game and it's the Red Sox and the loving Orioles? ugh

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/EvanDrellich/status/1378019660768108545

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

MLB The Show will be included in Xbox Game Pass when it launches April 20.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Was gonna say I think we’re gonna need a Dollop on Greinke before all is said and done. What a magnificent weirdo.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Nats should be forced to forfeit.

This is BS.

Players and staff don’t want to get vaccinated, they want to treat COVID protocols like Justin Turner? Fine. Enjoy the L in the loss column.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

The silver lining is that at least the Nats won't give the Mets covid.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

davecrazy posted:

This is BS.

Players and staff don’t want to get vaccinated, they want to treat COVID protocols like Justin Turner? Fine. Enjoy the L in the loss column.

:hai:

I'll just tick off "unironically agree with a davecrazy post" on my list of poo poo I did not expect to happen today.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Either make it a forfeit, or do what the Tigers did in 1912: Give the coaches 24 hours to assemble a major league baseball team. (Those Tigers lost 24-2)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

GPTribefan posted:

Rube Waddell should be the patron Saint of SAS. He

- would frequently run on to the field to pitch mere seconds before the game was supposed to start
- would forget to wear his uniform under his street clothes, and then rip his street clothes off without remembering he was butt rear end naked
- would leave in the middle of a game to chase and help firefighters
- would be distracted on the mound by dogs in the stands to the point of being unaware he was still supposed to be pitching
- acted in vaudeville, sometimes during the season
- was bitten by a lion
- passed out drunk during a game
- carried a flaming stove out of a building with his bare hands.

Dude was legit crazy but lived about 5 fascinating lifetimes in less than 40 years.

Holy poo poo how did I not know about this all until now?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Thread was talking about Grenkie stories earlier, and I thought I'd drop the latest video from what is rapidly becoming one of my favorite Youtube channels - Baseball Doesn't Exist - about Grenkie and how loving weird he is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuTMPm7A0zQ

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Rube Waddell was almost certainly high-functioning autistic/adhd and it's incredible what he was able to achieve with those conditions in an era where no one understood what that meant.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
yeah the Nats need to face some punishment for this

they've hosed with the Mets preparations and future schedule, because somehow after more than a year they still don't think covid is a big deal

honestly I don't see why they weren't forced to play but without the guys who tested positive

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day

Julio Cruz posted:

they've hosed with the Mets preparations and future schedule, because somehow after more than a year they still don't think covid is a big deal

honestly I don't see why they weren't forced to play but without the guys who tested positive

I assume they didn't really know what the extent of the spread was. at that point they should either make them forfeit or play with only alt site guys with zero exposure to other players though

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Julio Cruz posted:

The entire team was forced to go into quarantine, so I understand why they didn't want any of them hanging out in a dugout together while they got this sorted.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

because contact tracing would probably put most of the roster at risk of potentially carrying the virus right now

I do agree with the davecrazy take though, this year we have been around the block with all this poo poo. If a team has so many positives and potential positives they can't play, they should probably be forced to forfeit. Get your poo poo together guys.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

MLB The Show will be included in Xbox Game Pass when it launches April 20.

Goddamnit, I already pre-ordered it months ago :negative:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Julio Cruz posted:

It's extremely loving annoying. It means doubleheaders and lost off-days for the Mets.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
I am not in favor of risks to any player’s health or livelihood yet from a distance I have to admit it’s extremely funny that the new-look good-luck Mets are getting this and that it’s the fault of the chud Nats

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
yeah those are all fair points

the problem is that forfeiting just isn't on the table since both the owners and the players will hate it and Manfred is much too weak to do it unilaterally, I'm trying to come up with something that's a disincentive towards ignoring all the safety restrictions while also trying not to put anyone else at risk

e: for each game that has to be postponed because of a breach of covid restrictions by your team, the opposition gets to choose the make-up date and venue

the Mets have an off-day on the 9th, we'll have a makeup day then. what's that you say? the Nats are in LA playing a day game against the Dodgers? tough poo poo, don't breach the loving protocols next time

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 2, 2021

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Why is it the Nats fault their players got sick? Did I miss a story about them flouting covid safety or something?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Going down a Rube Waddell rabbit hole now, found this in a John Thorn blog post

John Thorn posted:

This was the Athletics’ first spring training in Jacksonville; the previous March they had been in Charlotte, North Carolina. It was also the first spring training for Waddell who, after pitching for the barnstorming All-Americas in 1901, decided to open the 1902 season with the Los Angeles Loo-Loos — for whom he won 12 games. He didn’t pitch for Connie Mack until June 26 — then won 10 games for the A’s in the month of July, a feat unmatched by any hurler in any month since. Indeed, his 24 wins for the Athletics came over a period of only 87 games the club played.
He produced 9.1 bWAR that year and lead the league in strikeouts, in basically half a season.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

The Pussy Boss posted:

Why is it the Nats fault their players got sick? Did I miss a story about them flouting covid safety or something?

The players can and should be 100% isolated from everyone except their team starting around spring training. So yeah it's their fault.

davecrazy posted:

This is BS.

Yup.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

The Pussy Boss posted:

turns out it's quite hard to get infected if you've had the vaccine that's been available to all players for weeks now

and yeah, since everyone on the team should be isolated and only interacting with each other there's no way for the virus to get in, unless one of your guys has decided that he's too important to get the virus so it's not a big deal if he goes out to a restaurant for dinner one night

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Players travel across the country for work, passing through airports, hotels, and sports stadiums full of fans, workers, etc. They aren't quarantining in any meaningful sense, and its lovely to blame people for catching a highly contagious disease.

Also its news to me that the vaccine is universally available now. I'm still on a waiting list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The Pussy Boss posted:

Because the vaccine has been available to players for a while now, and there's strict protocol in place that appears to do a pretty dang good job of preventing outbreaks when followed properly. 3-4 players all suddenly catching the plague on the Nats despite that tells me a) there are chuds in the clubhouse who refuse to get the shot and b) on top of that there are people flaunting protocol.