Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

TasogareNoKagi posted:

i think it's about the bearwhale from 2014, where someone put up a sell order with a ton of butts at below the market price at the time. coiners screamed about the bearwhale trying to destroy buttcoin, and they "defeated" it by spending all their money to buy all the butts.

in retrospect, it was just some early adopter deciding to cash out, and the coiners defeated it by cashing it out :psyduck:

The very situation of quite literally throwing money at a problem until it went away. By doing exactly as he wanted.

Br’er Rabbit begged ok’ Br’er Fox not to throw him into that briar patch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

woah, what just happened here???

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
ive renounced ownership several times but he hasn't gone away he's still looking at me help

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Boxturret posted:

ive renounced ownership several times but he hasn't gone away he's still looking at me help

he's staring into your soul

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Boxturret posted:

Ask Roger Ver for guidance he is a renouncing expert

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Ask Ross, he’ll be Free any time now

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

orange juche posted:

he's staring into your soul

he's actually staring at something above me to my right, what is it that he can see that i can't:ohdear:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Boxturret posted:

he's actually staring at something above me to my right, what is it that he can see that i can't:ohdear:

an NFT

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Boxturret posted:

you must renounce him seven times, then he’ll face the other direction hth

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

So question, are IPFS links indexed or listed in any way? Could someone who didn't have the NFT find the link and view the image?

Because I'm trying to think of what an NFT actually gives you (besides the smug status seeking), and the only thing I can think of is you having the ability to restrict access to the image (even if theoretically people could have saved copies already from the auction).

You can't insure the image, you can't claim copyright, you can't even prevent people from making copies or even selling those copies as NFTs themselves. So, in terms of control over a creator's work, I don't get what the NFT is supposed to bring.

I guess the hype by artists is just the idea of being able to charge exorbitant sums for an assumed rare piece, though again, I don't see what's stopping someone from making copies. I guess in that case it would just be knowing you had the first one listed in the blockchain that would count.

Dumb

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Shame Boy posted:

i noticed a goofy-rear end diagram on wikipedia and the cite led me back to this:

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fmicb.2020.01171/full

it's some kind of fanfiction dressed up as an academic paper i guess??

Frontiers is a predatory open-access publisher. This is vanity-published science fanfic.

Beelzebufo posted:

So question, are IPFS links indexed or listed in any way? Could someone who didn't have the NFT find the link and view the image?
Because I'm trying to think of what an NFT actually gives you (besides the smug status seeking), and the only thing I can think of is you having the ability to restrict access to the image (even if theoretically people could have saved copies already from the auction).

no, the IPFS address is just a hash of the content.

IPFS works just like BitTorrent with magnet: links.

this is an A+ download

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

This is amazing, well done.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

it’s nonces all the way down

gently caress off with any “ephebophilia” poo poo; a 32-year-old with a 17-year-old is a nonce

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Beelzebufo posted:

You can't insure the image, you can't claim copyright, you can't even prevent people from making copies or even selling those copies as NFTs themselves. So, in terms of control over a creator's work, I don't get what the NFT is supposed to bring.

I guess the hype by artists is just the idea of being able to charge exorbitant sums for an assumed rare piece, though again, I don't see what's stopping someone from making copies. I guess in that case it would just be knowing you had the first one listed in the blockchain that would count.

Dumb

You can simply pull the link (or the link to the JSON file containing the actual content link) from the Blockchain and download it from the server or the IPFS host.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Beelzebufo posted:

no I actually think you get it perfectly well

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

AlbieQuirky posted:

it’s nonces all the way down

gently caress off with any “ephebophilia” poo poo; a 32-year-old with a 17-year-old is a nonce

wait what

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dave Coulier dated Alanis Morissette when he was 32 and she was 17. He is the guy that "you oughta know" is about

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I think the reference is that Dave Coulier dated Alanis Morissette at 17 or 18

efb but drat whole lotta stories like that in acting...

Nybble fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 2, 2021

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
https://twitter.com/Jason/status/1377898439472607236?s=19
glad to see paris is doing well

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Death to the universe.

https://twitter.com/TeletubbiesHQ/status/1377940924605546496

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

We really need a burning earth smilie.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/KidsHelpPhone/status/1377951961300004869

mmm nah i don't think i will, kids help phone

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Alan Smithee posted:

https://twitter.com/jkbjournalist/status/1377023092908814336

so this leads to another article that's back in november

currency of the future

lmao florida isn't a real place

I've been posting about him here for a year.

Some highlights:

https://twitter.com/scott_maxwell/status/1377039713396211715?s=21

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
drat this thread is really coming out against Kids Help Phone?

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

ultrafilter posted:

We really need a burning earth smilie.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
if the teletubbies people actually gave a drat they could auction off a couple of items from the franchise instead of perpetuating the giant waste of everything that is the NFT

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

xtal posted:

yes, a charity doing a dumb publicity stunt means we are 100% against every single thing they've ever done, thanks for clearing that up with your giant anarchist brain

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:tviv:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

xtal posted:

why would i want kids to help phone, i think phone can take care of itself

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Zero One posted:

I've been posting about him here for a year.

Some highlights:

https://twitter.com/scott_maxwell/status/1377039713396211715?s=21

yeah it's been fun watching a local idiot build into an increasingly bizarre and stupid national story over the course of a year

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

That's perfect. What should the code for it be?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

ntfs

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

:bisonyes:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Ironically it also looks like they're wearing a clown wig

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Boxturret posted:

yes, a charity doing a dumb publicity stunt means we are 100% against every single thing they've ever done, thanks for clearing that up with your giant anarchist brain

help Pepsi support greenpeace with their project to dump a hundred thousand six-pack rings into the ocean

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

lol SA smilies have a 10 kb limit cause no one's tuned the parameters since we were all on dial-up. I can just pull out the first frame of this, but it'd be nice to have some animation. Maybe without the gun?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

lol SA smilies have a 10 kb limit cause no one's tuned the parameters since we were all on dial-up. I can just pull out the first frame of this, but it'd be nice to have some animation. Maybe without the gun?

i think mods can change it to a larger file when its been bought?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

this one is 6kb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

this one is 6kb

I like it but now it's complaining about the dimensions. 90 x 25 is the cap, presumably also because that made sense in 2001.

Boxturret posted:

i think mods can change it to a larger file when its been bought?

Maybe that would be a better approach, but I've never done it. Who should I approach for that?