Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

got potato defect for the first time and man, if nothing else, it's extremely obvious when your beans literally smell just like raw potato

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunder
May 22, 2003

It should just be a single bean that’s causing the smell, right? Not the whole bag?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Gunder posted:

It should just be a single bean that’s causing the smell, right? Not the whole bag?

yeah luckily i'd portioned off a smaller amount of beans to grind and then went to smell them and noticed it was bad, only had to discard a few grams (and it was probably just one bean in there, i think)

tbh seems like the smell is strong enough you could probably repeatedly split a batch and keep narrowing down the bad bit

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

eke out posted:

got potato defect for the first time and man, if nothing else, it's extremely obvious when your beans literally smell just like raw potato

This is the first time I'm hearing of this. What causes it?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I bought a single origin for the first time in months and it tastes like a lemony flower thing. So weird but a nice change of pace. I prefer blends but trying stuff like this is a good reminder that coffee is a fruit.

It's this
https://birdandbearcoffee.com/collections/fresh-roasted-coffee/products/d-r-congo-muungano

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

PolishPandaBear posted:

This is the first time I'm hearing of this. What causes it?

my understanding is that it's some specific bacteria, introduced when there's some insect damage, that only occurs in the vicinity of the african great lakes (or maybe just lake kivu region in particular? idk).

so it shows up specifically in uganda/burundi/rwanda/DRC beans and apparently doesn't exist elsewhere

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

RichterIX posted:

Depending on how stale your coffee is there might not be much point in blooming it anyway. Old coffee drains really fast and I don't think it will give off much in the way of CO2.

I think my grind was too coarse. Turned it down to a 12 on the Encore and didn't drain nearly as fast, much more normal cup of coffee.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Any recommendations for a combo grinder/drip maker? Like, I'm sure the correct answer is "get both pieces separately" but it's a gift and exactly what they asked for.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Picked up a Nespresso cube at the thrift store just because it was cheap.
My partner is in love with it already.
She is one of those people that needs coffee to function first thing in the morning and the big espresso machine is too much for her to deal with.
I still like going through the ritual of grinding, packing, and pulling shots.
So yeah thread title is for real.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Huxley posted:

Any recommendations for a combo grinder/drip maker? Like, I'm sure the correct answer is "get both pieces separately" but it's a gift and exactly what they asked for.

A friend of mine has been using a Breville Grind Control and it works pretty well. I’ve made coffee with it while house sitting and I agree.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Huxley posted:

my so’s aunt has a breville grind control and *loves* it. i know capresso also makes one but i don’t know much about it.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I got the Geisha sampler from the Angels Cup special and its pretty amazing. they're clearly on another level than specialty single origin beans, its like a mix of high quality tea and coffee

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

mistermojo posted:

I got the Geisha sampler from the Angels Cup special and its pretty amazing. they're clearly on another level than specialty single origin beans, its like a mix of high quality tea and coffee

Ooh mine just came yesterday. Can't wait to try it now.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I've got a Wilfa Svart grinder and I'm keeping my beans in the hopper because that's what's convenient. I've seen the 'put a metal spoon under the tap, shake it off, then stir through the beans' trick to avoid static, but is this only for when adding single doses of beans to the hopper at once? Will it cause issues if there's plenty in there that aren't going to be ground that moment?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
How fast do y'all get through coffee? Between my wife and I, with me working from home, we can go through a 12 oz bag of beans every 3-4 days. Good coffee being $10-$17 per bag, that adds up quick!

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I've got a Wilfa Svart grinder and I'm keeping my beans in the hopper because that's what's convenient. I've seen the 'put a metal spoon under the tap, shake it off, then stir through the beans' trick to avoid static, but is this only for when adding single doses of beans to the hopper at once? Will it cause issues if there's plenty in there that aren't going to be ground that moment?

I was told only to moisten exactly what I can use right then.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Imagined posted:

How fast do y'all get through coffee? Between my wife and I, with me working from home, we can go through a 12 oz bag of beans every 3-4 days. Good coffee being $10-$17 per bag, that adds up quick!

agree on moistening what you use though it's less necessary the fresher the roast is

as to quantities i usually have to roast at least once a week, a pound of green which generally ends up somewhere around 375g

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Imagined posted:

Yep. That’s about right. We go through at least two bags a week.

When I consider the $3-4 per coffee(s) she would be buying a day at the office I’m going to call it a win.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Why are all the measurements involved in coffee some kind of alternate universe Calvinball anyway? A "pound" is 12 ounces, a "cup" corresponds with no other measurement of a "cup" on earth, etc. Is it France? I blame France.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Imagined posted:

start roasting at home and only pay like $6/lb for incredible beans (but then you buy way, way too many pounds of different varieties)

on that note, i've finally figured out a good curve in Artisan that i can reproduce on basically any bean for a light city/city+ roast level, and it absolutely owns. tried a washed ethiopian from sweet maria's for the first time (since i've done a ton of naturals from there) and it's uncanny how much it tastes like sweetened earl grey

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

that's cool.

i've found that even when roasting to the same stage the way the roast is accomplished will have a huge impact on how the bean tastes

i don't use artisan at the moment because i want to upgrade to a better / bigger roaster in the next year and i don't feel like having to go through all this work just to redo it then. i've got a pretty good grip on using time and temp without charting it to get to where i need, though.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Imagined posted:

I limit myself to 2 coffees a day, so that's usually 2x 20g of beans to make a pour-over. A little less than that if I swap out one of those pour-overs for an espresso, which only takes 18g of beans.

I tend to only buy light roasts from decent roasteries, so last month that came to a total of £44.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Apr 8, 2021

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Imagined posted:

I use a bag every week and a half making two 18gish espressos a day, so your consumption seems about right

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Imagined posted:

Why are all the measurements involved in coffee some kind of alternate universe Calvinball anyway? A "pound" is 12 ounces, a "cup" corresponds with no other measurement of a "cup" on earth, etc. Is it France? I blame France.

france invented the metric system, don't put the evil on them

Jestery fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 8, 2021

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Who calls 12oz a pound?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
hipster coffee shops sell in 12oz bags instead of 16oz bags to keep the price below $20, I think it started in 2008 or so

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

mediaphage posted:

that's cool.

i've found that even when roasting to the same stage the way the roast is accomplished will have a huge impact on how the bean tastes

i don't use artisan at the moment because i want to upgrade to a better / bigger roaster in the next year and i don't feel like having to go through all this work just to redo it then. i've got a pretty good grip on using time and temp without charting it to get to where i need, though.

yeah, the advantage of artisan so far is that i've been able to fix some of the mistakes i was making in terms of timing heat/fan changes, i think it's brought the floor of my ability up more than anything else

at some point it'll probably be useful to buy like 5lbs of one thing and see what a really dialed in profile looks like. all these 1lb bags have been good for getting experience at a bunch of different countries/styles, but you only get like three shots at each one then you move on to the next totally different thing

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Imagined posted:

12oz is common now for specialty but I never see it referred to as a pound, and a cup is 8 fl oz unless you’re looking at keurig or nespresso in which case blame the marketing department. Real coffee snobs use grams and ml for everything though.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
I thought a cup was 4 floz? That's the only way my 8-cup cafeteire actually produces 8 cups of coffee. Actually looking at the Wiki page though it does say 8, but with a ton of variations, and the caption on the first picture refers to a "metric cup" which is just what even.

Edit: Skimming down to see what it says about the UK usage we have this:

Wikipedia posted:

In the United Kingdom the standard cup was set at 10 imperial fluid ounces, or half an imperial pint. The cup was rarely used in practice, as historically most kitchens tended to be equipped with scales and ingredients were measured by weight, rather than volume.[9] A related measure, the gill (5 fluid ounces, or half an imperial cup), was commonly used in older cookbooks for liquids
What the hell are we even doing using "cups" for anything if we can't even agree with everyone else in what a cup is.

TheDarkFlame fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 9, 2021

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

hypnophant posted:

12oz is common now for specialty but I never see it referred to as a pound, and a cup is 8 fl oz unless you’re looking at keurig or nespresso in which case blame the marketing department. Real coffee snobs use grams and ml for everything though.

Well every morning I use 6 normal-universe cups of water (as measured by a US measuring cup) to fill my Oxo coffee maker to the '9 cup' line.

As for the 12 oz "pound", answered my own question on Google somewhat. Apparently most brands did sell 16 ozs / 1 pound of coffee a decade or more back, but as the price of beans increased they found that the consumer just wasn't willing to spend more than $20 for a bag of coffee. So the standard size of a bag of coffee got smaller. But out of habit a lot of (old) people still refer to a bag of coffee as "a pound".

Imagined fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 9, 2021

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

hypnophant posted:

I think what Imagined was referring to how coffee makers usually have a cup as 5 or 6oz.

Like the capacity of an 8 cup Chemex is 40oz.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I bought a clever dripper the other day, and have been using the Hoffman recipe, and the results have all just been... OK. I'll keep tinkering, but I must be doing something wrong, because the coffee is coming out pretty weak and bland. I know it's not the beans' fault because they're perfectly good done with an Aeropress and a V60.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

cptn_dr posted:

I bought a clever dripper the other day, and have been using the Hoffman recipe, and the results have all just been... OK. I'll keep tinkering, but I must be doing something wrong, because the coffee is coming out pretty weak and bland. I know it's not the beans' fault because they're perfectly good done with an Aeropress and a V60.

grind size problem, maybe? seems like 16ish:1, for around 3 minutes of immersion, shouldn't taste weak

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

cptn_dr posted:

what’s your bean water ratio?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Imagined posted:

Well every morning I use 6 normal-universe cups of water (as measured by a US measuring cup) to fill my Oxo coffee maker to the '9 cup' line.

In that case a "cup" of coffee is probably the amount you make from a "scoop" of beans, with the scoop being whatever size was convenient for oxo to throw in there. You can still blame marketing though.

cptn_dr posted:

Try grinding finer, you can go pretty fine with that one if you're doing water in first

Sneeing Emu
Dec 5, 2003
Brother, my eyes

cptn_dr posted:

FWIW, I use the same grind as I did with the Aeropress (14 on an Encore), and a 4 minute brew time. Turns out great every time, I love the consistency.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Confused on the blame.marketing stuff for cup size. I don't think a single drip machine uses 8 oz for a cup. Kuerig or Nepresso have nothing to do with it. Hell my Moccamaster is like 4oz cups

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Imagined posted:

12 ounces is a hipster pound. I don't even know if they drink real coffee in France, probably instant crystals.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Cool, thanks for the tips. Sounds like it'll be a grind size issue and/or a brewing time issue then. I've left the dripper at work over the weekend so I'll try it on Monday and report back

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Apr 9, 2021

Gunder
May 22, 2003

James Hoffmann finally done did an Aeropress video. Looks like it will be a series. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aidvrssMSGo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Was gonna link that right now. Hope he's finally Jamesplaining the magic around brew temperature, dilution, and so on. Wondering in particular how much the brew time actually matters.