Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

PRADA SLUT posted:

What interesting variations can I make on a caipirinha? Maybe sub sugar for Cointreau and make it more like a margarita? Bitters?

I got some Novo Fogo and it’s fantastic

The thing with a Caipirinha is that the granulated sugar helps get the juice out of the limes, so you really don't want to lose that. However, you will have great luck subbing in other citrus. Lemon and grapefruit are both good, but my favorites are calamansi or yuzu if you can get either of those. Bitters are nice sometimes, though I tend towards Peychaud's in this versus ango. And try muddling in some herbs, like you would in a mojito. Mint is fine, but better with basil or lemongrass or other interesting herbs. Once I used rosemary with yuzu and it came out incredibly pine-y, but in the good way that powerful gins or IPAs can be.

And yes, Novo Fogo is super good. Try Ypióca Prata in your drinks as well, if you can find it - it's the one wrapped in straw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

The Bandit posted:

My thought is it’s a last word riff. 3/4 across the board, 1/4 st germain.

But what maestro said generally holds true

That sounds good too. One variation on that style (it was a Paper Plane riff but same ratios) that I made that turned out really good was
.75 Toki Japanese Whisky
.75oz sencha green tea infused st germain
.75oz Averna amaro I think. Maybe it was aperol?
.75 lemon juice

The tea infused st germain was quite lovely

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I just made a fitzgerald with hendricks and peychauds, it's the color of bubblegum and tastes amazing after a particularly dumb day at work.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I love a Fitzgerald. No reason to ever make a Gimlet instead of a Fitzgerald.

tsc
Jun 18, 2004
hostis humani generis

The Maestro posted:

Usually the first ingredient will be the majority, but that one might list Fernet first because it’s what the predominant flavor will be.

I’d try
1oz Fernet
.5 aperol / st g / gin
.75 lime

There might be .5oz simple syrup to balance too. Was it served up?

Yes, served up with an orange peel. This is suuuper close, but too much lime. Still tasty though, thank you!

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Found a local shop that carries Liber and Co. products, so I picked up some orgeat syrup and made my very first mai tai. I split the rum 1/2 smith and cross and 1/2 pyrat xo, and I must say, it was absolutely delicious.

I do have one question though, most tiki drinks I’ve tried come off a bit more tart/sour than I think they are meant to. I’m measuring the right amount of citrus, but is it possible I have a batch of extremely sour limes or something? It’s possible My palate is just more sensitive to sour flavors too.

I’ve been cutting back whatever a recipe calls for by a hair and it seems to suit me just fine, but curious if anyone else has run into that. It was super apparent on the ‘Rye surf Liner’ I tried two nights ago. It’s .75 lemon juice : .75 orgeat : 1 pineapple juice, and it came out too sour for my tastes.

My bday is next week and I may just ask for liquor store gift cards so I can stock up on a few different kinds of rum, gin, and a bunch of cordials/syrups/bitters to have around.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
It is probably a combination of your palate plus yes tiki’s tendency to use sour ingredients. Lime, pineapple, passion fruit, etc, all sour, and the levels can vary from one individual fruit to the next. Especially with our modern day usage of fresh ingredients.

Absolutely nothing wrong with adjusting the recipe to fit your taste, but I also wouldn’t be surprised to see your taste change to embrace the tartness. To me .75 orgeat plus 1 pineapple sounds pretty sweet even with the .75 lemon. Delicious, and sour, but sweet.

Tiki drinks are a wonderful encapsulation of cocktail balance. You have rich base spirits with local character and funk, you have incredibly sweet ingredients like orgeat, you have an insane amount of sour citrus to balance it out, then things like Campari or allspice or angostura to further balance that out, and then maybe a tropical fruit for good measure, plus over the top garnishes and glassware and special ice.

A small change that might help is a drop or two of saline solution. Salt will enhance the flavors and dull the sourness a bit.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Can anyone recommend a good falernum recipe? I can't get a hold of any anymore and I'm close to running out.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I've had good results with Paul Clarke's Falernum #8.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Kenning posted:

I've had good results with Paul Clarke's Falernum #8.

:tipshat:

Would regular proof rum work alright for stuff like this? Overproof is incredibly expensive in Norway, regardless of quality. :negative:

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

QuasiQuack posted:

:tipshat:

Would regular proof rum work alright for stuff like this? Overproof is incredibly expensive in Norway, regardless of quality. :negative:

I'd guess it has a preservative effect, so maybe spike it up to proof with rectified spirit?

fake edit: Aaaand wikipedia is telling me that these are illegal in Norway.

Just make smaller batches I guess

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

CleverHans posted:

I'd guess it has a preservative effect, so maybe spike it up to proof with rectified spirit?

fake edit: Aaaand wikipedia is telling me that these are illegal in Norway.

Just make smaller batches I guess

Yeah, our liquor laws suck balls.
Thanks for the advice.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I love gin cocktails in general and so I've really been wanting to try an Aviation (the cocktail, not the gin), but I've had zero luck finding creme de violette anywhere in NC. Unfortunately I have to rely on ABC stores and every one I've been to has not had it. I'll be checking again today, but if I still can't find it, are there any other options? I always prefer to try the real deal before doing substitutions, but it just doesn't seem like that's going to be possible.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Sir Lemming posted:

I love gin cocktails in general and so I've really been wanting to try an Aviation (the cocktail, not the gin), but I've had zero luck finding creme de violette anywhere in NC. Unfortunately I have to rely on ABC stores and every one I've been to has not had it. I'll be checking again today, but if I still can't find it, are there any other options? I always prefer to try the real deal before doing substitutions, but it just doesn't seem like that's going to be possible.

You could try looking on the Drizly app if they service your area? Even if you don’t order a delivery, it will search the inventory of a lot of shops in your area and then you could follow up with a call to ensure it’s in stock.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Sir Lemming posted:

You might be able to find a friendly goon to send you some. Either a full bottle or a sample or something.

I want to say it’s about $23 for a 750ml bottle here in MN.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I live in VA and my only solution for this was "drive to Delaware." Sorry.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Ha, okay, I guess I'll just explore other things for now. I should probably at least try an Aviation at a bar or something first before I kill myself looking for it. Just seemed strange that it's the one thing I can't find. But in my googling I found other NC people asking the same question, so I guess it's a common problem. I actually do drive to Delaware somewhat often, so I may end up doing exactly that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean, maybe see if a bar will order one for you? Is that a thing?

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
DC is closer than Delaware though yeah? https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/creme+de+violette/1/usa-dc

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There are two brands of creme de violette available from NC ABC's special order catalogue. I can't vouch for either; I use Rothman & Winter.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I may be misinterpreting things but it seems like if I go the "special order" route I'll probably be committing to a full crate. So I think I'm reaching the limit of my curiosity on this one.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Sir Lemming posted:

It is my considered opinion that an Aviation does not require creme de violette. It's certainly nice, but there are historical examples of it just being gin, lemon, and maraschino, and that is an extremely good cocktail all its own.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Or by all means just have one at a bar, and ask them where they'd recommend you get a bottle (if you like it).

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Sir Lemming posted:

I may be misinterpreting things but it seems like if I go the "special order" route I'll probably be committing to a full crate. So I think I'm reaching the limit of my curiosity on this one.

The ABC is notorious for this. Are you in a relatively large metro area of NC?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
https://www.astorwines.com was able/willing to ship me a LOT of liquor I couldn't find in Nebraska when no one else would ship here. Maybe they'd ship to NC too?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Think I can get away with subbing Luxardo maraschino for Heering in the Singapore sling? Just realizing that now that I finally have Benedictine I’m out of kirsch.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Maraschino and Heering taste nothing alike, and would not make a decent substitution. Maraschino is a liqueur of cherry pits, and is fragrant and a little funky, Heering is a cherry liqueur that tastes like cherries, and kirsch is a cherry brandy that tastes like, well, brandy with a bit of cherry musk on it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That said, I would indeed like to try subbing Heering into a few things that take maraschino, because I bet it'd be pretty good.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Luxardo does make a cherry liqeuer called Sangue Morlacco that should be pretty similar though.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Data Graham posted:

That said, I would indeed like to try subbing Heering into a few things that take maraschino, because I bet it'd be pretty good.

Yeah, this was sort of my feeling. I’ve had both, and while they are very different, Maraschino still has a cherry aspect of its own type. Maybe I’ll give it a go and see what happens.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
The flavor profile and level of sweetness are way different. I know Luxardo Maraschino is “sweet” but it doesn’t taste sweet like Heering does. Heering also has tartness. Heering is 24% abv and Luxardo is 32%. By all means try it and report back but don’t expect a 1:1 substitution to taste good.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Also I like Heering, but too much I find definitely adds a robitussiny flavor that's not always welcome. I've occasionally mismeasured when using it and can tell.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Sir Lemming posted:

Ha, okay, I guess I'll just explore other things for now. I should probably at least try an Aviation at a bar or something first before I kill myself looking for it. Just seemed strange that it's the one thing I can't find. But in my googling I found other NC people asking the same question, so I guess it's a common problem. I actually do drive to Delaware somewhat often, so I may end up doing exactly that.

If you’re just hoping to try/sample with one cocktail, send me a pm. I actually just bought a bottle of creme de viollette (Rothman and Winter), I could fill up a 2oz Boston round and put it in a padded envelope for you or something.

Send me a pm if you’d like!

In today’s news, it is my birthday.

My wife got me all sorts of wonderful glassware and cocktail stuff, and other family got me some total wine gift cards, bar stocking time!

Made my first bees knees, and it’s delicious.

2oz gin
3/4 lemon juice
1/2 oz honey syrup

I also made a fool of myself using the new Boston shaker my wife got me. Turns out I didn’t actually know how to use it properly and splashed water all over myself.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
I've been really digging that Royal Bermuda Yacht Club daiquiri that folks shared a while back. Also tried this cool take on a Negroni:

Strange Weaver

1 oz rum
1 oz gin
¾ oz Cocchi Torino
½ oz Campari
½ oz orgeat
¼ oz lemon juice
orange zest

Shaken and poured over fresh crushed ice with the orange zest as garnish. I substituted Dolin sweet vermouth for the Cocchi Torino and it seemed to work just fine.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

So I got some Johnny Walker Black on deep discount that made it only like 4 dollars more then my standard cocktail scotch Monkey Shoulder. Anyone have ideas for a good drink that can leverage Black Label specifically?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Heering is one of my desert island liqueurs. Just give me that and some Campari. I will use them to paint the face on the volleyball.

Apparently the official IBA recipe for the Bee's Knees has orange juice?!? I've never tried it.

Sir Lemming posted:

Huh, I've always been able to order single bottles in VA. Just call a store and ask.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

Heering is one of my desert island liqueurs. Just give me that and some Campari. I will use them to paint the face on the volleyball.

Apparently the official IBA recipe for the Bee's Knees has orange juice?!? I've never tried it.

Huh, I've always been able to order single bottles in VA. Just call a store and ask.

IBA specs are weeeeeeeeeird man

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Struck out on Heering today but I did get some Bénédictine. There were like 10 bottles on the shelf (regular and B&B), all covered with dust lol

It's nice though

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I bought a B&B from a rando corner liquor store that had to look in the back for me. Dusty and it was definitely off in some way. Very different from what I'm used to, still drinkable. If you like it, I'd recommend following it up with a definitely-not-dusty bottle from a different store!

I love me a B&B. Before I discovered Amaro Montenegro it was my go-to lazy drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I got the unleaded kind, on the assumption that if I want benedictine + brandy I have brandy

Is B&B good in its own right, vs the regular?