Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Is there an easy way to charge the battery back up to 80?

As I type this I guess a simple socket timer and experimentation would work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
The E-BIKE Act has officially been introduced in the House, so shoot off an email to your reps in support of H.R. 1019, especially if they sit on the Ways and Means Committee.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Voodoofly posted:

Fancy smancy charger.

https://ebikes.ca/product-info/grin-products/cycle-satiator.html

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

kimbo305 posted:

I've heard that before -- do you have to stay under the 80 or some upper threshold for that to work? Does fully charging also wear the battery?

I remember the nerd graph from r/ebikes showed if you keep your battery within 30-70%, it will have even longer lifespan than 20-80%.

Anyway, I personally don't worry about staying in the 20-80% range that much anymore, cause so far the batteries in my eboard and ebike last longer than other components, after 3+ years of ownership. The batteries still have about 80% of the original juice.

Voodoofly posted:

Get a timer power socket. Either one control by smart speaker or a simple mechanical one.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Mar 16, 2021

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

stephenthinkpad posted:

I remember the nerd graph from r/ebikes showed if you keep your battery within 30-70%, it will have even longer lifespan than 20-80%.

Anyway, I personally don't worry about staying in the 20-80% range that much anymore, cause so far the batteries in my eboard and ebike last longer than other components, after 3+ years of ownership. The batteries still have about 80% of the original juice.

Get a timer power socket. Either one control by smart speaker or a simple mechanical one.

Batteries cost like $650-$850, it’s worth it to prolong their life even if other components fail and need to be replaced first.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Dren posted:

Batteries cost like $650-$850, it’s worth it to prolong their life even if other components fail and need to be replaced first.
Yeah first tier OEM batteries are a loving ripoff, but their components can have extensive warranties. It's worth taking care of them.
I just have an hour timer behind my charger, and give the battery a squirt when I'm down to 3/5 bars or so.

It'd be real nice if the chargers had a cutoff switch, but they're essentially just power bricks, most systems have the charge controller and BMS integrated in the power pack.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Mar 17, 2021

gonger
Apr 25, 2006

Quiet! You vegetable!
I recently crossed the “200 miles ridden” milestone of my R&M Load and it’s been a godsend for giving me and the little dude something to do.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

gonger posted:

I recently crossed the “200 miles ridden” milestone of my R&M Load and it’s been a godsend for giving me and the little dude something to do.

I loving love those things. The design brief discussion must have been like:

"so what features do we want on this?"
"yes"

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Any thoughts on the bafang conversion kits? Thinking of putting one on my commuter bike for round town stuff.

Late to this, but my husband put a Bafang conversion kit on our Orbea Katu and it's working well for us. There's no way I'd be able to get anywhere with a toddler on the back and picnic gear in front without it:

Also taking this rug back home with my toddler on the back during rush hour at what ought to have been a 5 min ride from one end of our suburb to the other was probably the most terrifying 40 mins of my cycling life and I do not think I would have been able to attempt it without an ebike:

In my head the rug was not that wide rolled up and since the child seat is on the back there was nowhere else to carry it. At least this gave me plenty of excuses to take the lane and not let cars bully/crowd me to one side. :v:

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

25 miles in the rain but got to eat a power bar at a drat cool dam.

kaptkobe
Mar 29, 2015
Nice! Hopefully I’ll get out and about this week and can post some pictures.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Have a slightly better shot of the e-bike outside the supermarket, not really a lot you can say other than “yup that’s an ebike”, switching out those old panniers which have too many pockets for the 47l basil which Amazon are taking their sweet time delivering. (I live next to the UK’s main Amazon warehouse which is a first world problem in of itself ).

kaptkobe
Mar 29, 2015
Finally got out on the bike.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Biktrix is on my radar for an e-bike for my mom since she's pretty short. I'd be curious how it's going with the bike over time and the honeymoon period kind of wears off.

I don't know how you're riding it, but we've been kind of reconfiguring our bikes to be a bit more "Dutch" (sitting in a more upright posture). If you're winding up doing similar, I'd want to know how that goes.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If you are willing to spend the money I had a go on the woman’s cube bike today and it’s absolutely fabulous.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

kaptkobe posted:

Finally got out on the bike.

How tall are you? That seat looks way too low.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Biktrix was one of the few I could find that had offerings for really short people.

kaptkobe
Mar 29, 2015
Yes I am not only short but have a really short inseam, 5’6” with a 28” inseam, the seat could go higher for more efficient pedaling but I like it so that I can put a toe down while on the seat for riding on the trails.

So far I really like the bike, I had biktrix add the “a-bars” they’re basically the Jones h loop bars. They provide a more upright position which I like. I guess that is going Dutch.

One of the main reasons I chose biktrix was because of the ultra motor, dual battery and step through design that I couldn’t get anywhere else. They really do make bikes for short people. All of the other bikes that interested me were either too tall or had things I didn’t want like a hub motor or cadence sensor.

If your mom is really short the stunner x or step through with the 20” tires would probably be perfect.

kaptkobe fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 27, 2021

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!
Quick question:

What will happen if I use a 48v controller originally for a 250w motor, on a 48v 750w motor?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You'll burn the FETs from excessive draw.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

evil_bunnY posted:

I would have wanted to say this isn't so conclusive but they pair controllers and motors so much that I would be afraid of something like that too.

Counterpoint: I think it was Bolton Ebikes that sells some upgrade kits that involves upgrading the controller to push a motor harder for Rad Power stuff. It's going the other way, but it implies the controller initially is underpowered to the motor, and that stock configuration doesn't kill the controller. On the other hand, they are operating at such a scale that they could do some custom stuff so the stock controller won't take a poo poo.

Nonetheless, it's not a difference between 250W and 750W.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

evil_bunnY posted:

So it wouldn't just limit the power of the motor?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Kidney Stone posted:

So it wouldn't just limit the power of the motor?
Usually it does just limit the power, but other times that rating is just whatever their MOSFETs can handle without burning out.

I would trust anything from ebikes.ca to limit the power, but amazon or ali express? :shrug:

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

CopperHound posted:

Usually it does just limit the power, but other times that rating is just whatever their MOSFETs can handle without burning out.

I would trust anything from ebikes.ca to limit the power, but amazon or ali express? :shrug:

So, the worst which can happen is a burnt out controller?

If that's the case, I'll have to swap it for the original, rather huge controller...

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I knew there had to be a thread like this somewhere. But I never thought it would be in this forum :eyepop:

What are good models in the $2k-or-less price range if you are a tall fat? I am not looking for a ton of frills but I would ideally like to be able to snap on racks or panniers or something and also do shopping.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Nessus posted:

I knew there had to be a thread like this somewhere. But I never thought it would be in this forum :eyepop:

What are good models in the $2k-or-less price range if you are a tall fat? I am not looking for a ton of frills but I would ideally like to be able to snap on racks or panniers or something and also do shopping.

Welcome!

Look for a cargo bike with smallish-diameter, fatter tires. The RadWagon (https://www.radpowerbikes.com/products/radwagon-electric-cargo-bike) is $1900 and they claim the orange one ships next business day. RadPower can have some iffy quality issues (as will a lot of things at that price point), but they're mostly okay.

If you have an ebike shop in your city, it might be smart to see what they have available. If you live near an REI, check out the Electra Townie Go: https://www.rei.com/product/170336/electra-townie-go-7d-electric-bike. It's pretty cheap and cheerful, and REI backs up the things they sell. They say the max weight is 275lbs, but you can play a little fast and loose with that as long as you're careful and accept faster wear.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

Welcome!

Look for a cargo bike with smallish-diameter, fatter tires. The RadWagon (https://www.radpowerbikes.com/products/radwagon-electric-cargo-bike) is $1900 and they claim the orange one ships next business day. RadPower can have some iffy quality issues (as will a lot of things at that price point), but they're mostly okay.

If you have an ebike shop in your city, it might be smart to see what they have available. If you live near an REI, check out the Electra Townie Go: https://www.rei.com/product/170336/electra-townie-go-7d-electric-bike. It's pretty cheap and cheerful, and REI backs up the things they sell. They say the max weight is 275lbs, but you can play a little fast and loose with that as long as you're careful and accept faster wear.
Thanks! I had actually been looking at the RadRunner/Radrunner Plus - it was hard to tell the distinction between the two models. The Wagon does look like it would comfortably accomodate me (at 280 I seemed on the borderline anyway). The Wagon looks like it might be overkill, though.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

The plus has a 7 speed freewheel, while the regular radrunner is single speed. If you plan to use it more like a bike w/ pedal assist, I'd go for the plus.

The thing to consider with radpower bikes is they're definitely built and speced to a price. Components, fit and finish, they're not going to be as nice as a different manufacturer. It'll probably be fine since they're mostly pretty good bikes, but if you run into warranty issues, you might have some headaches.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

The plus has a 7 speed freewheel, while the regular radrunner is single speed. If you plan to use it more like a bike w/ pedal assist, I'd go for the plus.

The thing to consider with radpower bikes is they're definitely built and speced to a price. Components, fit and finish, they're not going to be as nice as a different manufacturer. It'll probably be fine since they're mostly pretty good bikes, but if you run into warranty issues, you might have some headaches.
Interesting. Do you have suggestions that are north of my price band here but not drastically so, say up to $2500 US? It is interesting to know these details because I have mostly been shopping on EBR and random bike reviews elsewhere, which brought other manufacturers (like KBO and VanMoof) to my attention. However, everyone's reviews seem to be the same basic thing: Bike goes zoom, what fun, don't drive it in the rain maybe.

VanMoof looks great but does edge out of my planned budget, and I am also somewhat leery of their automatic transmission thing. https://www.vanmoof.com/en-US/s3?color=dark

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Edit; just never mind.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 2, 2021

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Nessus posted:

Interesting. Do you have suggestions that are north of my price band here but not drastically so, say up to $2500 US? It is interesting to know these details because I have mostly been shopping on EBR and random bike reviews elsewhere, which brought other manufacturers (like KBO and VanMoof) to my attention. However, everyone's reviews seem to be the same basic thing: Bike goes zoom, what fun, don't drive it in the rain maybe.

VanMoof looks great but does edge out of my planned budget, and I am also somewhat leery of their automatic transmission thing. https://www.vanmoof.com/en-US/s3?color=dark

A buddy of mine has one of the latest Moofs. He likes it, but it did refuse to unlock for him once. I think they're altogether a littler *too* smart, but they stand by their product. My concern is a lack of parts commonality, since they're so vertically integrated.

You might look at a Gazelle Medeo T9 https://propelbikes.com/product/gazelle-medeo-t9-hmb-2020/. I ride a Gazelle (one they don't make any more), and I mostly love it (don't love the rim brakes on mine, but the Medeo T9 has disk brakes so it's a moot point).

Other people on this thread seem to like https://boltonebikes.com/. I don't have any personal experience with them, but I've seen them around. They have a couple bikes at $2500.

REI also sells a Cannondale at 2550: https://www.rei.com/product/166403/cannondale-quick-neo-sl-2-remixte-electric-bike

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Nessus posted:

I have mostly been shopping on EBR
reviews seem to be the same basic thing: Bike goes zoom, what fun, don't drive it in the rain maybe.

That's one thing I've found weird about the ebike community. There doesn't seem to be a detailed and sufficiently critical review site. Or YT channel.
EBR is the most critical, and they're never that harsh on a product. And certainly not detailed enough.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

That's one thing I've found weird about the ebike community. There doesn't seem to be a detailed and sufficiently critical review site. Or YT channel.
EBR is the most critical, and they're never that harsh on a product. And certainly not detailed enough.
Yeah. I figured to some extent it's because it's hard to critically gently caress up and also because it doesn't seem to have expanded (in America, anyway) past the cyclist hobby audience. But I'm approaching this as a commuter vehicle more than a recreational one; my budget here was primarily provided by Joe Biden.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Nessus posted:

Biktrix has a several models that can accommodate more than the usual 275 lbs.

My biggest issue with VanMoofs is they have integrated non-removable batteries. Might not be an problem though if you have a bike-friendly outlet to charge at home or outside. If you like the aesthetic of the VanMoof but wary of its price, check the Ride1up Roadster V2. Similar style, but half the price.

halokiller fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 2, 2021

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

halokiller posted:

Biktrix has a several models that can accommodate more than the usual 275 lbs.

My biggest issue with VanMoofs is they have integrated non-removable batteries. Might not be an problem though if you have a bike-friendly outlet to charge at home or outside. If you like the aesthetic of the VanMoof but wary of its price, check the Ride1up Roadster V2. Similar style, but half the price.
Hm, Biktrix is out of stock for months. The roadsters do look nice. If only I weighed less! Then again the bike will help with that, I just hate to void the warranty.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Nessus posted:

Yeah. I figured to some extent it's because it's hard to critically gently caress up
Sort of true. There's a component for every price point, and $2000 bikes are either very simple (single speed to save on drivetrain, for example) or end up getting some parts with pretty dicy reliability. I think EBR has longer review cycles than most places, but not necessarily a duration that is long enough to apply to longterm commuting.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

An e-bike hambini would own

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

evil_bunnY posted:

An e-bike hambini would own

At first it would, but then it would become incredibly obnoxious.

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 3, 2021

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Another weekend another ride.

I think I’m ready to drop the stem a bit as well. Talking to the shop about it this week to look at overall fitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Have you tweaked your suspension settings yet?