Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fickle Isthmus
Aug 2, 2003

I've not turned up yet 'ave I?
Season 4 is a little different, but anyone who hates it can getaway getaway, stay away stay away...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think Season 4 is probably my favorite season. I think the structure is genius and allows some great long term building of jokes. That being said I don't think I ever finished Season 5 so that should tell you how I felt about it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Season 5 took me three of four tries to finish and I don’t think I can tell you anything about what actually happened in it beyond “extended unfunny Gob is gay joke” and “actually Buster is a murderer somehow”.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I genuinely can't remember if I watched S5 but I also only remember i watched S4 because the last time I thought I hadn't and watched it I realized I had and just forgot 99% of it.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I watched S4 when it came out and kind of liked it, then a while back after season 5 was out, started a rewatch of the whole series, and the jump from S3 finale to episode 1 S4 was so jarring I stopped watching.

S4/5 is practically a different show. Even the greenscreen/fake actors wasn't as hard to digest as the shift in the writing and humor. It was trying so hard to be Arrested Development S1-3 humor but it just kept missing the target. Their more original ideas/plots went off a lot better, but they spent so long on the Micheal knows sea law joke (a reference to a single line from nearly 15 years ago) it was clearly just smashing the "everybody remember this classic bit?" button multiple times an episode.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wait, is s4 the Netflix revival

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Season 4 is the first season of the revival, yes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I didn't even know there was a season 5, I really didn't like 4 that much

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Arist posted:

I didn't even finish the second episode of Season 5. It was just so lifeless.

Lifeless is the best way to describe it. It felt like a slog getting through it, and that's something I never would've thought I'd say about Arrested Development. I'm also a big fan of season four though, I think some of the best jokes in the show are in season four.

pentyne posted:

I watched S4 when it came out and kind of liked it, then a while back after season 5 was out, started a rewatch of the whole series, and the jump from S3 finale to episode 1 S4 was so jarring I stopped watching.

S4/5 is practically a different show. Even the greenscreen/fake actors wasn't as hard to digest as the shift in the writing and humor. It was trying so hard to be Arrested Development S1-3 humor but it just kept missing the target. Their more original ideas/plots went off a lot better, but they spent so long on the Micheal knows sea law joke (a reference to a single line from nearly 15 years ago) it was clearly just smashing the "everybody remember this classic bit?" button multiple times an episode.

Season four's first episode I think is pretty weak, so there is a gap in quality there, but it gets better quickly.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 1, 2021

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, season 4 is very uneven, and on average I think it's lower than any of the first three seasons, but on the other hand I also think it has some of the best episodes of the entire show. So even though there are definite downsides, the higher points still make it worth it for me.

Season 5, there's just nothing. I think I remember some of the Tobias/Lucille bits to be fine but obviously unmemorable, and I remember the general premise of "Trump stole the wall idea from AD Season 4" to be kind of funny in a meta sense, but not in any of the actual jokes they try to do with it. Other than that, the only things about season 5 I even remember is that Portia de Rossi is only in like two episodes and they try to retcon Linday's whole adoption background.

Oh, another reason season 4 is worth it overall: we actually get a new mini-scene of Joel Hodgson and Trace Beaulieu doing MST3K again.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Apparently everyone involved in American Gods insists that it's going to continue in some way.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

Apparently everyone involved in American Gods insists that it's going to continue in some way.

I’ll believe that when I see it. I don’t count on most shows getting hoped for continuations, but that shows production was far, far more troubled than most.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It has also has no real die hard fans, even people who like it seem to be acutely aware of it's issues. They also could've told the book's story twice over by now. Makes me glad Good Omens got wrapped up in one go. Still, if nothing else, the Anansi scene in a vacuum is a really incredible scene to share. If only the rest of the show maintained the same strength. I did like all the gods-arrive-in-america scenes.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Khanstant posted:

It has also has no real die hard fans, even people who like it seem to be acutely aware of it's issues. They also could've told the book's story twice over by now. Makes me glad Good Omens got wrapped up in one go. Still, if nothing else, the Anansi scene in a vacuum is a really incredible scene to share. If only the rest of the show maintained the same strength. I did like all the gods-arrive-in-america scenes.

They should have ditched the actual plot of the book and worked with Gaiman to make an anthology show where the episode opens with a god-arrives-in-America bit and then done a short story for each. They didn’t know how to handle the book plot at all- the best parts of the show were always short and character focused bits.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

They should have ditched the actual plot of the book and worked with Gaiman to make an anthology show where the episode opens with a god-arrives-in-America bit and then done a short story for each. They didn’t know how to handle the book plot at all- the best parts of the show were always short and character focused bits.

IIRC there's supposed to be an adaptation of his Norse Mythology book in the works which would basically just be that.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Watching the Resident Alien finale. This has to be the laziest writing I've seen in a long time. The pilot showed such promise.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

The CW live action Powerpuff Girls has cast its Professor Utonium and you'll never guess who.

Donald Faison.

Reminds me im rewatching Scrubs and its like a warm blanket. A blanket about ppl dying but hell ig it doesnt make me feel good anyways

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Finished season 1 of Arrested Development!

Some of the funniest stuff I already knew/know is coming up because it's been referenced for 15 years, but a few things I really liked and didn't know about:

-the "next episode on" jokes
-the herd of idiots employed by the company/staff meetings/their trip to catalina
-take your daughter to work day

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hughmoris posted:

Watching the Resident Alien finale. This has to be the laziest writing I've seen in a long time. The pilot showed such promise.

What didn’t you like? I know a lot of people have been up and down all season, but I’ve enjoyed the show overall. I think the last conversation was a bit... simple, but no major disappointments.

I felt like a bit chunk of the last section was a love letter to Flight of the Navigator, but that might just be me.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

I felt satisfied after the glacier fall stuff and I decided it was a nice stopping place. Sounds like I made the right decision.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I thought the finale was pretty good; the season was at occasionally at risk of becoming mawkish, but the last few episodes have made an effort to complicate and darken "Harry's" behaviour to the point where he's started to become disturbing, and the town's airy, child-like positivity is beginning to look dangerously naïve. I really like the way they're getting a lot of value out of mashing up The Invasion of the Bodysnatchers with ET with Northern Exposure, and how the lightness and darkness of each premise is brought into conflict by the show's narrative -- often in really exciting ways. (e.g. The stuff with the home invasion subplot, which was excellent -- both completely logical, but also completely unexpected.)

There were a few moments where I felt the plot was a little arbitrary and soapy -- e.g. the (temporary) resolution to Darcy and Asta subplot is a classic narrative stall, and unfortunately doesn't make a super lot of sense -- but the show seems to have a really good sense of the morality of the situations involved, so it avoids the classic pitfalls of the genre.

Oh, and Alan Tudyk has some career best acting in that finale, no lie.

I'd put it up there with one of Syfy's stronger offerings from the last ten years, and their original content's been good for a while now.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

ditching the vignettes was the worst decision they could have made and they were the best part to boot

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Tudyk is good on Resident Alien but his best role is still Mr. Nobody

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Simone Magus posted:

Tudyk is good on Resident Alien but his best role is still Mr. Nobody

It's Transformers Dark of the Moon by a long country mile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aztK-OWOMl0

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Rhyno posted:

It's Transformers Dark of the Moon by a long country mile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aztK-OWOMl0

Hahaha. I always forget that those movies have inexplicably stacked casts. John Malkovich lol

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Simone Magus posted:

Hahaha. I always forget that those movies have inexplicably stacked casts. John Malkovich lol

The fourth one has Stanley Tucci and he is clearly having the time of his life. And Titus Welliver!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Anthony Hopkins is in them too and has a robot butler

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mu Zeta posted:

Anthony Hopkins is in them too and has a robot butler

That one sucks the most. AoE (4) is a goddamned masterpiece. It has Markey Mark, John Goodman and Kelsey Grammer!

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

"Phantom Train of Doom" is a better Young Indiana Jones episode than the second and fourth Indiana Jones movies. It was fantastic. The second half was slower, but the whole concept of a hostage berating his captors on being incompetent and lecturing them the whole time on how to be better soldiers was great, and it had a good ending.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 2, 2021

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Rhyno posted:

The fourth one has Stanley Tucci and he is clearly having the time of his life. And Titus Welliver!

I have said it before, but I will pay someone cold hard cash to recut the movie to JUST be the Stanley Tucci scenes only. It's so goddamn stupid, but him screaming "ALGORITHMS! MATH!" as he slaps a whiteboard is one of my favorite movie moments ever.

You're also right and AoE is the best one by a mile and is the one that's actually out and out fun. One is too goofy/fish out of water, two is weirdly racist, three I remember very little about besides the action stuff at the end was cool in Imax 3d, and five is just baaaaaaaaad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cael posted:

I have said it before, but I will pay someone cold hard cash to recut the movie to JUST be the Stanley Tucci scenes only. It's so goddamn stupid, but him screaming "ALGORITHMS! MATH!" as he slaps a whiteboard is one of my favorite movie moments ever.

You're also right and AoE is the best one by a mile and is the one that's actually out and out fun. One is too goofy/fish out of water, two is weirdly racist, three I remember very little about besides the action stuff at the end was cool in Imax 3d, and five is just baaaaaaaaad.

I've probably watched AoE thirty times, I love Tucci's scenes that much. "How do you say GET THE gently caress OUT OF THE WAY in Chinese?"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

galenanorth posted:

"Phantom Train of Doom" is a better Young Indiana Jones episode than the second and fourth Indiana Jones movies.

Attack of the Hawkmen, too. I'd throw Oganga, The Giver and Taker of Life in there as well, but it's more of a drama than an adventure riff. Daredevils of the Desert is better than Crystal Skull but not Temple of Doom.

e: I really wish that show wasn't so forgotten because the DVD edits make it such a vastly better show than when it aired. I really wish Disney would take the unproduced scripts and make an animated miniseries or something.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 2, 2021

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If Phantom Train is the one with the old retired badass soldiers then yeah that's my favorite. I can't remember if it happened in the episode but I recall a cool scene where it's Indy's first time using a whip.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

How's the Get Shorty TV series? Worth checking out? With Resident Alien, American Gods, and Snowpiercer all over I need new shows.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

How's the Get Shorty TV series? Worth checking out? With Resident Alien, American Gods, and Snowpiercer all over I need new shows.

first 2 seasons were fun but 3rd (and last?) is kind of a mess, imo

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Stanley Tucci is like 90% of the reason the hunger games movies are good

The other 10% of course being Elizabeth banks

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Wut?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Okay, I need to watch this.

feedmyleg posted:

e: I really wish that show wasn't so forgotten because the DVD edits make it such a vastly better show than when it aired. I really wish Disney would take the unproduced scripts and make an animated miniseries or something.

I think a big problem is that the rights are probably so tangled. Lucasfilm is Disney now but before that, Young Indy was split between Lucasfilm, Disney, Amblin, and Paramount.

But I think it's also the fact that the Indy "EU" never sold as well as Star Wars. Even the Indy comics were only made because Lucasfilm required Dark Horse to do Indy as a condition of buying the rights to Star Wars comics. Outside of Fate of Atlantis, none of the Indy games were really hits. It's a world that is harder to get people interested in outside of the movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

idk, just keep seeing this card on Hulu and keep momentarily thinking it's a werewolf thing and instead it is just some dumb poo poo about some shady company