Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And I'm probably underselling it, because I know from experience in rural Australia. Being repeatedly uprooted doesn't help, but still. And this is if you're lily white, god help you if you're in any way neuroatypical, non-white, queer, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Roblo posted:

Eugh. Whereabouts in the UK is this?

Midsomer isn't a real place, but it's meant to be a combination of Middlesex and Somerset. So anywhere in that region, basically - full of elderly people who took part in the White Flight from London when the ethnic minorities began to move in. It's 100% Tory heartland and the people there are racist as hell, so I can't argue with anyone saying it should be a very white place. The producer was a shithead because he thought that it was right to be that way.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Jedit posted:

Midsomer isn't a real place, but it's meant to be a combination of Middlesex and Somerset. So anywhere in that region, basically - full of elderly people who took part in the White Flight from London when the ethnic minorities began to move in. It's 100% Tory heartland and the people there are racist as hell, so I can't argue with anyone saying it should be a very white place. The producer was a shithead because he thought that it was right to be that way.

I meant the guy who's partner had experienced abuse. I grew up in Dorset/Somerset and live in Devon so I'm all to experienced with small town English racism, unfortunately (though not on the recieving end of it, as I'm as white as they come. I just got abuse for being a nerd/greebo instead - not quite as bad).

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

That Italian Guy posted:

West side of the Irish Sea in a medium to large city in a neighborhood that is 85% people that have been there for generations, so it kinda fits the "village" part of the story - an area that has only recently started to see any kind of diverse people. Tbf, we've always been treated nicely when visiting small towns, but I expect things to be different if you are living there instead of being the news of the day at the local pub.

My husband and I took a scenic route to Yosemite a couple of years ago, and it still surprises me that there are towns out there that are 100% white. We stopped at a bar for dinner and the woman immediately was like "Oh, where are you visiting from?" She was perfectly nice, but I wasn't expecting that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Watching the Daria episode where Jake joins a startup, and it's loving amazing how well it's aged.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Roblo posted:

I meant the guy who's partner had experienced abuse. I grew up in Dorset/Somerset and live in Devon so I'm all to experienced with small town English racism, unfortunately (though not on the recieving end of it, as I'm as white as they come. I just got abuse for being a nerd/greebo instead - not quite as bad).

My mom has fallen in love with an english guy and wants to move to Devon and marry him after the plague. It's great to know she's moving from racist hellhole to racist hellhole. I imagine the scenery is nicer in Devon.

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals

somepartsareme posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CameSDK-2m8

Obviously not entirely representative of his ability today, but him in this video is always what I think of when I think of Lin-Manuel Miranda

This was pages ago and nobody gives a poo poo, but this missed out Matt Berry and that's not allowed (timestamped at relevant bit)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS1eTb6smNM&t=1021s

Carnival of Shrews
Mar 27, 2013

You're not David Attenborough

HopperUK posted:

The most puzzling thing about the Moffat-Gatiss collaborations to me is the weird contempt that comes through for the original material. Sherlock, Jekyll, Dracula - I think they genuinely do love the source material, at least I know Gatiss does and i've no real reason to think Moffat doesn't. But then why mock it so ceaselessly? Why make spiteful, contemptuous references to the original stories? Why be cruel to people who are picking up what you're putting down? I mean poo poo, you don't *have* to write TV shows, just don't if it makes you so cross. I dunno.

IMO Gatiss suffers from an unfortunate writerly ailment: he thinks no-one can have such a keen appreciation of C19 sensational literature as Mark Gatiss. It's not canon Holmes or canon Dracula that he despises, it's the rest of us schlubs who reckon we love the source books as deeply as he does.

He's even expressed his feelings in verse. Of a sort.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I think the movie adaption of My Favorite Martian could have done without the implied sexual assault.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Watching the Daria episode where Jake joins a startup, and it's loving amazing how well it's aged.
Which one was that?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Google claims it's episode 502 "Sappy Anniversary" but I never saw season 5 so I can't confirm that.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I would read a story where it turns out the guy in a bathtub with two bullet holes in the back of his head really was suicide.

The Problem Of Thorvanovitch's Bathtub? I remember that episode.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/CBThorburn/status/1377696492295761923

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Ha, I was just talking to my wife earlier today about the 40 Days and 40 nights, where a man is raped in his sleep and his girlfriend gets mad at him about it.

knife_of_justice
Aug 12, 2007

103 and still BITCHIN'

Carnival of Shrews posted:

IMO Gatiss suffers from an unfortunate writerly ailment: he thinks no-one can have such a keen appreciation of C19 sensational literature as Mark Gatiss. It's not canon Holmes or canon Dracula that he despises, it's the rest of us schlubs who reckon we love the source books as deeply as he does.

He's even expressed his feelings in verse. Of a sort.

Mark Gatiss will always be Val from the League of Gentlemen to me. That’s not an image that can be undone.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My mom has fallen in love with an english guy and wants to move to Devon and marry him after the plague. It's great to know she's moving from racist hellhole to racist hellhole. I imagine the scenery is nicer in Devon.

Don't worry, it's not a racist hellhole as such. I wouldn't say it's any worse than the rest of the UK (make of that what you will), you just get a fair few people that are clueless as it's not exactly racially diverse down here.

There was a nice story from WW2 in Launceston (Cornwall) where a unit of black GI's stationed here mutinied because they were treated shittily compared to the white troops, and the locals backed them up/supported them. They're quite proud of that around here.

And yes the scenery is pretty nice.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I remember seeing a WW2 educational film for American GIs in the UK which was like "Hey they don't really have segregation over here so don't freak out if the same pub serves you and a Black guy."

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

FreudianSlippers posted:

I remember seeing a WW2 educational film for American GIs in the UK which was like "Hey they don't really have segregation over here so don't freak out if the same pub serves you and a Black guy."

WW2 Training Film for US Soldiers | How to Behave in Britain | 1943
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltVtnCzg9xw

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kwyndig posted:

Google claims it's episode 502 "Sappy Anniversary" but I never saw season 5 so I can't confirm that.

Yeah, that's the one, it's the B-plot to Daria struggling with finding she does actually kinda care about arbitrary milestones. (seems a low key running gag in season 5 is Daria and Quinn become more understanding of one another and then use that to mess with each other better)

Just the loving endless torrent of buzzwords that I'm pretty sure the writers made up for the episode and yet are perfectly fitting, and one guy quietly admits he basically has no real job duties but stands around all day and isn't going to rock the boat.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

Yeah, there was apparently a fair bit of trouble (and some say, the spark of the US civil rights movement) when Black soldiers came back from serving overseas in ww2 with self-respect and a will to assert their rights. White supremacy tried to stamp that out real loving quick: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Woodard

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
There were cases in the US of black GIs in uniform getting lynched by a white mob for talking back, during the war.

Racism in the US, there's always more and its always worse.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

marshmallow creep posted:

Ha, I was just talking to my wife earlier today about the 40 Days and 40 nights, where a man is raped in his sleep and his girlfriend gets mad at him about it.

the first ace ventura film is a pretty tough one to go back to as well

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

the first ace ventura film is a pretty tough one to go back to as well
In 8th grade our spanish teacher made/let us watch it... In English, with spanish subtitles. The first scene is a lady giving Ace a bj as payment, and then of course intense transphobia as like, the core of the mystery.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Martman posted:

In 8th grade our spanish teacher made/let us watch it... In English, with spanish subtitles. The first scene is a lady giving Ace a bj as payment, and then of course intense transphobia as like, the core of the mystery.

I never watched Ace until a couple years ago, but had always heard the quote “Einhorn is Finkle, Finkle is Einhorn” but never knew the context. Horrifying to finally see the movie and find out it’s not just a funny quote of discovering a hidden identity, but just transphobia as a plot device.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

MariusLecter posted:

WW2 Training Film for US Soldiers | How to Behave in Britain | 1943
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltVtnCzg9xw

That was handled better than I was expecting. Not great, since the message was "leave your prejudices at home" but still better than I thought it would be. I'm guessing a white guy bumming a cigarette from a black guy would have been scandalous in many parts of the US.

Wonder if the black troops were shown the same video.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

hyperhazard posted:

Wonder if the black troops were shown the same video.

generally yeah, for the rare black troops who ended up overseas and not in some kind of a labor or service role. because of institutional segregation combat positions for black troops were not common, and if you were a black soldier in ww2 you were far more likely to be unloading trucks or digging ditches

after d-day and the invasion of normandy, allied forces pushing eastward into germany ran into problems - they were outpacing supplies and the ragged state of infrastructure meant that it was difficult to meet those supply needs. a system called the "red ball express" was set up, basically just constant movement of trucks from supply dumps in northwestern france to the fighting in belgium, until rail lines could be repaired and port facilities in antwerp recaptured from german forces and repaired. not a very glamorous role but hard and dangerous work. something like 75% of the drivers, mechanics, and crate-movers involved in this effort were african american troops

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKRNYKoIEj0

there was a very short lived TV show based on this, as a clear attempt to cash in on the success of MASH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwjMg8XPSdc

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

generally yeah, for the rare black troops who ended up overseas and not in some kind of a labor or service role. because of institutional segregation combat positions for black troops were not common, and if you were a black soldier in ww2 you were far more likely to be unloading trucks or digging ditches

after d-day and the invasion of normandy, allied forces pushing eastward into germany ran into problems - they were outpacing supplies and the ragged state of infrastructure meant that it was difficult to meet those supply needs. a system called the "red ball express" was set up, basically just constant movement of trucks from supply dumps in northwestern france to the fighting in belgium, until rail lines could be repaired and port facilities in antwerp recaptured from german forces and repaired. not a very glamorous role but hard and dangerous work. something like 75% of the drivers, mechanics, and crate-movers involved in this effort were african american troops

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKRNYKoIEj0

there was a very short lived TV show based on this, as a clear attempt to cash in on the success of MASH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwjMg8XPSdc

An interesting counterbalance to MASH’s questionable decision to drop its only black recurring character during the first season because the writers didn’t think there were any black surgeons in the Korean War (there were).

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Also his nickname.

Yes, it's definitely the sort of thing a black man was* called but "we're using this slur ironically to show how not-racist we are" really hasn't aged well.

* is

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

No matter what they do to fix MASH it doesn't change the fact that the source material is a libertarian dipshit's memoirs about getting drunk and sexually harassing any woman with a pulse.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

rodbeard posted:

No matter what they do to fix MASH it doesn't change the fact that the source material is a libertarian dipshit's memoirs about getting drunk and sexually harassing any woman with a pulse.

Yeah, isn't the book version of Hawkeye basically a chud?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

MASH strikes me as both a movie and TV show that was only good because it happened to fall into the right people's hands, and even then just barely

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

the_steve posted:

Yeah, isn't the book version of Hawkeye basically a chud?

Hawkeye was based on the writer of the book MASH, Richard Hornberger. He hated the TV version of Hawkeye for being anti-war and liberal, when he himself was very conservative.

Irrelevant side comment, but I inherited a first-edition signed copy of MASH from my grandparents, who were members of Hornberger’s MASH unit and stayed in contact with him after the war.

I’ve heard many interesting and sometimes hilarious stories from my grandparents from their time in Korea, but it’s not surprising at all that basically anything from that time period doesn’t age well at all.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/CBThorburn/status/1377696492295761923

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

reading a post from earlier this page

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Also his nickname.

Yes, it's definitely the sort of thing a black man was* called but "we're using this slur ironically to show how not-racist we are" really hasn't aged well.

* is

According to the movie, he got the name because he threw the javelin in college.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Mister Kingdom posted:

According to the movie, he got the name because he threw the javelin in college.

He got the name because the writer was a dipshit.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Gargamel Gibson posted:

He got the name because the writer was a dipshit.

I can't argue with that.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
We did the play version of M*A*S*H in high school in 2003, I think. It was acceptable “for the time,” but I sincerely hope nobody would try pulling it off now.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Blue Moonlight posted:

We did the play version of M*A*S*H in high school in 2003, I think. It was acceptable “for the time,” but I sincerely hope nobody would try pulling it off now.

We did that in 2005 and were like “uhhhh... let’s change the name”. I think we used daredevil or something because yikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Interior - M*A*S*H writing room. Several names are written on a whiteboard, all stroke through.
- We have to come out with something, fast.
- Remind me again what was wrong with the last one?
- Apparently, the studio feels it's too offensive.
- Wait, what? That's a perfectly valid term.
- I know, I know, but apparently "a G.I. with a fondness for British cigarettes" won't fly.
- So far we've had to throw out so many good ideas!
- Who knew that an Irish G.I. named "Patrick" could be considered offensive...
- Don't forget Michael.
- ...right, or Michael. Some of my best friends are named "Michael"!
The door opens. A worried screenwriter enters the room.
- The nurse with an equally angry female dog is out!
The whole room starts a ruckus.
- Guys, GUYS!
The room becomes eerily quiet.
- I think I've got it. What if...