Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Ibblebibble posted:

First episode of Dynazenon is off to a running start.

Looks like the thigh wars are back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Droyer posted:

I've watched like 3 animes i think where they randomly play kabaddi in like 1 ep and the rest of the show is about something completely different.

Kabaddi was in an episode of FMP Fumoffu and I didn't learn what it actually was for at least ten years.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Coxswain Balls posted:

I thought the main guy in Koikimo was gonna be like 20 at most, but it turns out he's almost thirty which makes it a lot more creepy than funny. I know it's only been one episode but they seem to be setting it up so that Ichika finds him endearing which is kinda uncomfortable to watch when the guy doesn't understand the whole no means no thing.

I've read a good chunk of the manga and your enjoyment of this one is 100% predicated by your tolerance for age gap romance. I'd intended to watch it but the animation in the PV I watched didn't look that great and decided to just stick to the manga.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I think it wouldn't bug me as much if the dude wasn't constantly forcing himself on an uninterested high-schooler who keeps telling him to stop. I dunno, I found Servant x Service funny where the romance has a similar dynamic, but I find it hard to laugh whenever the main guy is on screen in this one.

I'll watch a few more to see how it goes because there are some decent gags and setups that made me laugh. Rio giving her brother's number to Ichika had me going "nooooooo at least dial *67 before you call him because that's how you get a stalker". The OP and ED are also really nice.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Back Arrow 13 was pretty good, continuing the recent solid string of episodes about the war. I think this series would be a lot more popular if it was airing on something like Toonami about 15 or 20 years ago, but as far as I'm concerned it's still enjoyable. The new OP is fine too, although I'd say the best part are the last 30 seconds or so.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Coxswain Balls posted:

I think it wouldn't bug me as much if the dude wasn't constantly forcing himself on an uninterested high-schooler who keeps telling him to stop.

I mean, that's kind of the central gag: this high-spec guy who basically has always gotten everything he's ever wanted is getting shut down at every turn by a high school girl who looks at him like he's dirt on her shoe. And then the romance part of it is her slowly warming up to him while he learns to chill out a bit and meet her more on her level.

it's the kind of plot you have to be able to look at separately from how it would go down in actual real life and accept the fantasy of it or it doesn't really work (because he is kind of a creep)

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Everything Burrito posted:

I mean, that's kind of the central gag: this high-spec guy who basically has always gotten everything he's ever wanted is getting shut down at every turn by a high school girl who looks at him like he's dirt on her shoe. And then the romance part of it is her slowly warming up to him while he learns to chill out a bit and meet her more on her level.

it's the kind of plot you have to be able to look at separately from how it would go down in actual real life and accept the fantasy of it or it doesn't really work (because he is kind of a creep)
lol

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

:chloe:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's a josei series with a female author. Obviously fine to not be into that, but the appeal is presumably being into an older dopey guy, not the other way around.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

agegap romance stuff is a pretty standard female fantasy, where they are the younger one and the guy is the older one. its not woke or anything but its hardly the first or last series to explore that feeling

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

didn't know problematic josei was such an unfamiliar concept

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The only josei I know is Josei and the Pussycats

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Endorph posted:

agegap romance stuff is a pretty standard female fantasy, where they are the younger one and the guy is the older one. its not woke or anything but its hardly the first or last series to explore that feeling

Usually the older guy isn't presented as a stalker, though? I thought the normal convention was for the older guy to be at least somewhat reluctant at first.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
oops I forgot to add Bakuten!! to my watch list, been thinking this whole time it wasn't going to be out this season while scrolling right past it in the show list every time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

Usually the older guy isn't presented as a stalker, though? I thought the normal convention was for the older guy to be at least somewhat reluctant at first.
That's the central joke/twist, yes.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

dogsicle posted:

didn't know problematic josei was such an unfamiliar concept

It's apparently new to the only reviewers I've seen pick up on it not being aimed at guys, since they immediately comment about how they either can't imagine women liking that sort of thing or assume they must have never gone through anything in their lives.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Silver2195 posted:

It's a different kind of setup. The fantasy is being pursued by a hot, successful older guy. It's *extremely* common in romance (not just manga) and the guy is often very pushy, oversteps boundaries, etc. The twist is how she is absolutely *not* interested and seeing him get shut down all the time is where most of the comedy lies (mostly in Ichika's disgusted expressions and reactions, she has a fun personality)

e: the bit about not picking up that it's not aimed at guys kinda reminds me of After the Rain and people not realizing that the character people are thirsty over is the old guy.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 2, 2021

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Motto posted:

It's apparently new to the only reviewers I've seen pick up on it not being aimed at guys, since they immediately comment about how they either can't imagine women liking that sort of thing or assume they must have never gone through anything in their lives.

just seems so foreign when like every other season you get people passing around the premise of the latest Magic Bus animated smut for a laugh or gasp.

only outlier with Koikimo is it's in a web magazine without any particular denoted demographic i guess?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

practically every other live action romance in japan is about an older guy chasing after a younger women, with some mild resistance from here at first. its a popular story

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

You'd think given how often they used it as a punchline nerds would be familiar with the genre for 50 shades. Still funny to have it discussed in terms of plot rather than just "watch if you into that sort of thing".

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Motto posted:

quote:

In a way, I envy the people who can laugh at it, because it means they've never had a person make a dozen new accounts to get around their blocks. They've never ended a friendship because a man they thought they could trust turned out to have preyed on dozens of vulnerable younger people. It means they've never had their mother look into their eyes while talking about rock stars sleeping with teenage girls and say, “I could put so many people in jail.” It sounds nice.

lmfao. wokely saying 'women who i disagree with about a cartoon have never been harassed in their lives.'

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Endorph posted:

lmfao. wokely saying 'women who i disagree with about a cartoon have never been harassed in their lives.'

wokely laughing at someone who is obviously describing her own experience with harassment.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wanna get back to SSSS Dynazenon talk.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

great first ep for dynazenon, its got a lot to live up to with how much i loved gridman but we're on the right track so far

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

People are losing their minds because all the discourse anime were frontloaded last season. This is what twitter does to people

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the quote is bad because it presumes anybody who enjoys the show hasn't had experience with being harassed by men, which i'm willing to bet is not the case.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

wokely laughing at someone who is obviously describing her own experience with harassment.
i am not at all doing that. if she was describign her own exeprience with harassment as why she didnt enjoy it, thatd be fine. its the presumption that people who do enjoy it have never had that stuff happen to them thats bad.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

wielder posted:

Back Arrow 13 was pretty good, continuing the recent solid string of episodes about the war. I think this series would be a lot more popular if it was airing on something like Toonami about 15 or 20 years ago, but as far as I'm concerned it's still enjoyable. The new OP is fine too, although I'd say the best part are the last 30 seconds or so.

I mean, maybe. There was more of an audience in the US for episodic goofy sci-fi anime back then. People talk about Outlaw Star as a classic in a way similar modern shows aren't.

But I have my doubts. I talked in the mech anime thread about why Back Arrow is a disappointment for me, and it still holds. One thing is that, while the characters are gimmicky, they aren't that interesting.

Like, comparing to Gridman, because Dynazenon just started and it already kicks rear end, (hoping it can keep that going) Rikka is low key and grounded, but she's got all these personal drives and connections that make her feel real and let her struggles be good TV. Meanwhile, Atlee has fight scenes, but she's not doing anything to make me care what happens to her. Even comparing Yuta and Back Arrow, Yuta's not as active as Back, but his desires shape the plot more.

I'll check out this episode to see if I feel any different, but despite my love of mecha anime and appreciation for some old school episodic goofiness, it's not done much for me.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm not sure why SSSS is the comparison point for Back Arrow, they are so wildly different in style and intent. Back Arrow is the 2021 GunxSword and i think expectations should just be hovering at that moderate level, which isn't a naturalistic study (ignoring the toku) of a couple characters in its cast like SSSS was and seems to be going for again.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

dogsicle posted:

i'm not sure why SSSS is the comparison point for Back Arrow, they are so wildly different in style and intent. Back Arrow is the 2021 GunxSword and i think expectations should just be hovering at that moderate level, which isn't a naturalistic study (ignoring the toku) of a couple characters in its cast like SSSS was and seems to be going for again.

It's a comparison point because they're both giant monster robot fighting anime originals with amnesic protagonists.

Figure comparing modern to modern is easiest, even if there's differences in approach.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

I mean, maybe. There was more of an audience in the US for episodic goofy sci-fi anime back then. People talk about Outlaw Star as a classic in a way similar modern shows aren't.

This is my basic point, yes, so glad we're at least on the same page about that much. Even if, admittedly, my personal opinion of the show remains higher than yours.

quote:

But I have my doubts. I talked in the mech anime thread about why Back Arrow is a disappointment for me, and it still holds. One thing is that, while the characters are gimmicky, they aren't that interesting.

Like, comparing to Gridman, because Dynazenon just started and it already kicks rear end, (hoping it can keep that going) Rikka is low key and grounded, but she's got all these personal drives and connections that make her feel real and let her struggles be good TV. Meanwhile, Atlee has fight scenes, but she's not doing anything to make me care what happens to her. Even comparing Yuta and Back Arrow, Yuta's not as active as Back, but his desires shape the plot more.

I'll check out this episode to see if I feel any different, but despite my love of mecha anime and appreciation for some old school episodic goofiness, it's not done much for me.

I hope you'll like ep 13, but I agree with dogsicle above...the fact is they really are trying to do completely different things in terms of specific means and ends.

Gridman may have larger-than-life elements such as giant monsters and heroes, yes, but it is a show that tries to be grounded with a certain sense of modern reality in its setting. There's also a clear effort to make the main cast visually attractive in terms of fashion and contemporary character design standards (and beyond, but that's probably the most polite way to put it). The script is, at least for the most part, laser-focused on the character drama, which makes sense for that type of story and because it doesn't have a lot of episodes either so there's a need for efficiency. I think this is all great and compelling enough, mind you, but Back Arrow isn't exactly trying to follow that approach.

Back Arrow takes place in a strange world that is almost entirely fantasy with very little sense of realism. While there is a degree of character drama (say, Arrow/Shu vs. Kai/Ren, all of which have had some good interactions with each other as of late), the current focus is absolutely more on the action-adventure/comedy side of things. On paper, it is clearly less of a character-driven narrative in comparison and, one way or another, the creators know they have a lot more time to get from point A to point Z (even so, I still liked seeing Elsha's development in episode 10, for whatever it counts, although you're right that Atlee herself hasn't had much to do).

Perhaps it won't be as universally appealing in the year 2021, but well...it's another valid way of writing and directing a work of fiction. Arrow is presented as something of an outsider and an empty vessel or blank slate, even from an in-universe perspective. The initial story was more about the consequences of his presence than about his personal drama. That may be starting to change during the second half, since we're now seeing Arrow expressing more concrete desires than just aiming for the other side of the wall, but it's been less of a priority to date.

In the meanwhile, I'll relax and enjoy the mecha action and comedy (plus, again, I think eps 10-12 have been getting pretty good even on other fronts too).

If you can't smile like an idiot when something like the previous link or this combination happens...then yeah, it'll be a tough watch.

wielder fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 3, 2021

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

e: the bit about not picking up that it's not aimed at guys kinda reminds me of After the Rain and people not realizing that the character people are thirsty over is the old guy.

this was extremely funny and i welcome more

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Mobile Suit Gundam and Future Robot Daltanious aired at the same time and nobody ever compares them just because they're mecha shows that happened to be on at the same time

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.kamen-rider-official.com/kr50th/fuuto_en

As part of Kamen Rider's 50th anniversary, Toei has announced an anime adaptation of Fuuto PI, the sequel manga to 2009's Kamen Rider W, set to air in 2022.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

Mobile Suit Gundam and Future Robot Daltanious aired at the same time and nobody ever compares them just because they're mecha shows that happened to be on at the same time
ill compare them, right now

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Endorph posted:

ill compare them, right now

You wouldn't dare.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

Only thing I know about Daltanious is it was allegedly better received than GoLion, but they accidentally ended up licensing the "wrong" show to make Voltron.

wielder fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 3, 2021

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I wouldn't call Outlaw Star a classic. I remember being distinctly underwhelmed when I watched it. Punchy starships were funny but that was about it.

Then again it was part of my introductory rampage through the most popular anime when I first started watching, so I was comparing it directly to like, Cowboy Bebop and Trigun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

https://www.kamen-rider-official.com/kr50th/fuuto_en

As part of Kamen Rider's 50th anniversary, Toei has announced an anime adaptation of Fuuto PI, the sequel manga to 2009's Kamen Rider W, set to air in 2022.

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/1378135256054820865

And there we go.