Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Digital Jedi posted:

Inflation calculator says $3,500 is now $3,888.50. So the actual increase is only $111.5 per fight on your first 3 fights. A whole $334.5!!

And what typical bullshit from UFC. Not that I expect anything better but like still.

But you see the UFC had to go a year without people in the stadiums and their profit went down a tiny amount think of the endeavour CEO he could only afford 6 new Ferraris this week :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

:allears:

ilmucche posted:

Surely this is one of the streetbeefs fights where someone taps to exhaustion

tko (doctor stoppage) due to some kind of heart issues maybe

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Nis posted:

tko (doctor stoppage) due to some kind of heart issues maybe

I think Dada 5000 also suffered kidney failure in the course of the fight.

Then Kimbo tests positive for nandrolone in Texas of all drat places and it becomes a no contest.

It was kind of the most Bellator fight of all time.

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

TheKingslayer posted:

I think Dada 5000 also suffered kidney failure in the course of the fight.

Then Kimbo tests positive for nandrolone in Texas of all drat places and it becomes a no contest.

It was kind of the most Bellator fight of all time.

christ, that sounds grim

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ilmucche posted:

Surely this is one of the streetbeefs fights where someone taps to exhaustion

Dada 5000 literally died multiple times during the fight.

Gassy fat guys on street beefs are gassy fat guys that do not fight or train.

Kimbo/Dada 5000 was a fight between two people who ostensibly train to fight daily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQMIBmPcsVw

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
Dada for-real died in the ring but doctors were able to save him

Then Kimbo popped, overturning the fight

Then Kimbo died of heart failure 3 months later

I don't know if there will ever be a more cursed fight, but I loving hope not

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Mr. Nice! posted:

Dada 5000 literally died multiple times during the fight.

Gassy fat guys on street beefs are gassy fat guys that do not fight or train.

Kimbo/Dada 5000 was a fight between two people who ostensibly train to fight daily.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQMIBmPcsVw

I like the halfhearted, second long sternum rub the ref gives him before he walks away.

Also I googled Dada and he apparently started a bare knuckle fighting promotion where the fighters fight in this, which is barely big enough for one man to fully extend his arms.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

artism posted:

‘Kinda’?

Yeah, Kinda. This is MMA there are no absolutes.

artism posted:

But I guess we’ve got to watch Whittaker retire Gastelum

Why do you think whittaker is retiring gastelum? Kelvins not even 30. If he got his poo poo together with his nutrition he could be back in welterweight tomorrow.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Jon Jones wants to be the face of another promotion if the UFC won't pay him what he wants, but that quote made me laugh out loud.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

kensei posted:

Jon Jones wants to be the face of another promotion if the UFC won't pay him what he wants, but that quote made me laugh out loud.

That quote makes Jon jones 100% sound like the kinda guy to send those cryptic "you don't have to respond to this but say hi to the nephew for me, I miss him" toxic texts to his exes every Christmas

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

I guess all those other times he didn't even try to get his poo poo together!

How many second chances for Jon is this?

Money just can't be argued with.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

moctopus posted:

Money just can't be argued with.

Clearly it can be.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Yes, I guess you're right.

I wonder how Ngannou/Jones would play out. Ngannou is pretty close in reach and Jon hasn't looked unbeatable. I'm unsure how Jones' wrestling would fair unless he can soften Ngannou up a bit. I'm also curious about Jones' clinch. I dunno if I'd want to clinch with Ngannou.

Have any of Ngannou's opponents had any sort of kicking game? I'm drawing a blank.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

moctopus posted:

Yes, I guess you're right.

I wonder how Ngannou/Jones would play out. Ngannou is pretty close in reach and Jon hasn't looked unbeatable. I'm unsure how Jones' wrestling would fair unless he can soften Ngannou up a bit. I'm also curious about Jones' clinch. I dunno if I'd want to clinch with Ngannou.

Have any of Ngannou's opponents had any sort of kicking game? I'm drawing a blank.

I don't think Jones has any answer for Calm Francis. I'm sure he has the confidence to get in there and fight, but he's right to not do it for anything less than a gently caress off and retire forever sum of money. I think he knows he's going to sleep if he gets in the cage with him. Get loving paid, jon. If the UFC won't pony up, go mop up scrubs in the B leagues.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I think the expectation is that Jones will stay the gently caress away from Francis and try to kick at his shins and run away for 25 minutes, although Jones has put on a ton of weight so who knows what it will actually look like.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Jones last two fights look pretty bad in Retrospective MMAth

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

hosed up to think that of the Kimbo vs Dada 5000 fight, the one who died during the fight is the one who is still alive.

Jon Jones should get paid, but he's definitely not going to get Conor money when historically, he doesn't pull anything near Conor PPV numbers.

Also this
https://twitter.com/DerekBrunson/status/1377362508235833352

https://twitter.com/DerekBrunson/status/1377364687243730944

This tweet, not as much but still has a point

https://twitter.com/DerekBrunson/status/1377381404053413891

Nis
Feb 21, 2011

After reading those derek brunson tweets i started thinking about the difference between what top QB's get paid vs. what the worst special teams guy gets paid in the NFL.

Then I remembered that the fighters don't have a union and there isn't a CBA. the independent contractor thing is horseshit and i hate it and i hate that the top paid guys just look out for themselves instead of bringing more attention to how lovely most fighters have it

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

blue footed boobie posted:

Also I googled Dada and he apparently started a bare knuckle fighting promotion where the fighters fight in this, which is barely big enough for one man to fully extend his arms.

Lol, I did the same and read about that. More importantly I discovered that streetbeefs unfortunately doesn't have a wikipedia page

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

Why did Jon move up to heavyweight again? I just remember him looking vulnerable in his last couple fights at LHW and then dipping out and vacating the belt.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jack Slack had a great proposal to trick fighters into unionizing. Anytime they complain about pay or treatment by the UFC just say "unionize, bitch"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

College Rockout posted:

Why did Jon move up to heavyweight again? I just remember him looking vulnerable in his last couple fights at LHW and then dipping out and vacating the belt.

He’s tired of cutting weight and since he wrecked DC who wrecked most heavyweights there was no risk. Calm Francis is a different story.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Ngannou's scary. He genuinely seems to have one of a kind power. The shots he put Cain and Overeem out with looked like absolutely nothing. There shouldn't have been anything on them. Instead, both shots immediately switched the guys off.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

Ngannou's scary. He genuinely seems to have one of a kind power. The shots he put Cain and Overeem out with looked like absolutely nothing. There shouldn't have been anything on them. Instead, both shots immediately switched the guys off.

Do u have the Overeem punch confused with another punch or what because I agree about the Cain punch completely but if I had watched ngannou vs overeem live I would have thought he killed him

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
yeah that shovel hook was like out of a nightmare

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Ngannou is scary but I also don't want Jon Jones hitting me so it's a toss up

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Orange Carlisle posted:

at least if jon jones hits you the air bags might deploy

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

MotU posted:

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

MotU posted:

Lol

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Volk and Ortega are gonna be the new TUF coaches

Also, Burns vs Thompson is on deck for UFC 264

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Orange Carlisle posted:

Nah I mentioned it either in one of these or gdt but Jon’s punches and kicks seem like they hurt more than usual. When he would start hitting people, they really respected him. Anthony smith was terrified to throw anything in the later rounds. I feel like Holloway has the same talent.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Snowman_McK posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you

lol a completely proportional response to 'ngannou hits very hard'

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

lol a completely proportional response to 'ngannou hits very hard'

Ponder his examples smart guy.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Ponder his examples smart guy.

I did and thought to myself 'wow, he probably didn't mean to include the example of a man's head extending 6 ft off his shoulders as an indicator of effortless power' and proceeded to focus on and agree with the completely uncontroversial opinion.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Seriously.

The Reem punch was out of a cartoon physics simulator. Like, it shortened earth's year by a second when it landed

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

But you see, normally when Overeem gets hit like that he doesn't leave his body and high five The Grim Reaper before being roughly returned to his body with a 6 inch longer neck.

He just fights through it.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

I did and thought to myself 'wow, he probably didn't mean to include the example of a man's head extending 6 ft off his shoulders as an indicator of effortless power' and proceeded to focus on and agree with the completely uncontroversial opinion.

His other example was Cain's knee collapsing and him not being KOed at all.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

His other example was Cain's knee collapsing and him not being KOed at all.

huh i'm guilty of misremembering that too then because i thought cain ate some short shots coming in. still, fair enough. i'll get to authoring my absolute incredulity at the loving audacity of that stupid prick to dare give two examples of something that weren't really examples of that thing. i'll see him in the loving oildome. who the gently caress does he think he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
unionize, bitch