Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bank posted:

I heard it's coming back at the end of April.

I love my 580 ALR but the nib is EF which I've found is too fine. I've been trying to find it in F/M but they're practically sold out everywhere, and are $20 a pop. Might as well pay $60 for an entire pen in another color..

Good idea, then when the nibs do come back in stock, you can throw the new nib on! And now you have two pens that you can use two different inks in! :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
post depending on which one i’m using. a metro or 911 is light enough for me to post, but my hongdian 516 has a pretty heavy clip that makes the cap unbalanced, so i don’t

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I will never post

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Heath posted:

I will never post

This post is a lie.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That being said, I usually post my 2000, my Vac Mini if I'm doing a long session with it (which is relatively rare), and occasionally my Metro. My Safaris/AL-Stars and Ecos generally don't get posted.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
A pen that does not post is a pen that will very shortly have no lid that I can find ever again.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

iospace posted:

This post is a lie.

EDIT:

HopperUK posted:

A pen that does not post is a pen that will very shortly have no lid that I can find ever again.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
Shhhheeeeeeeeeeeen...

Voltaic Arc

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

You're supposed to hold the cap in your other hand, y'all.

meat glitter
Nov 12, 2019

why even make a pen that you CAN post but "shouldn't"?

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I post all my pens if it's an option except the Moonman C2 since it doesn't stay on very well.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Mountains rise and fall, and under them the Turtle swims onward. Men live and die, and the Turtle Moves. Empires grow and crumble, and the Turtle Moves. Gods come and go, and still the Turtle Moves.

The Turtle Moves.

HopperUK posted:

I struggle with this because some old pens shouldn't be used while posted, due to scratching/tarnishing/general risk of damaging the surface. But I prefer a bit of cosmetic damage before a lid falling down and being stepped on or just disappearing. So it's bad either way.

Also, one of my best writers is a MontBlanc 12. I got it cheap and unused because someone else had, apperently, stepped on the lid. It had cracks on both sides, though the metal piece inside had stopped it from exploding.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Shellception posted:

I struggle with this because some old pens shouldn't be used while posted, due to scratching/tarnishing/general risk of damaging the surface. But I prefer a bit of cosmetic damage before a lid falling down and being stepped on or just disappearing. So it's bad either way.

Also, one of my best writers is a MontBlanc 12. I got it cheap and unused because someone else had, apperently, stepped on the lid. It had cracks on both sides, though the metal piece inside had stopped it from exploding.

The Montblanc 12 is really great - much easier to disassemble and clean when found in the wild compared to the 146 it replaced (and was later succeeded by). Prices are still reasonable-ish for these and other hooded nib Montblancs too.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
I was doing some good ole inspecting of the pens and just noticed my 580ALR has what I thought was a scuff/crack(?) at the piston knob.

I can't feel it with the fingers, so it's underneath. I emailed TWSBI and they responded within 2 minutes: "its just the special grease used on the aluminum parts. Very important not to wipe that grease off the aluminum pieces. They prevent the parts from being damaged."

Welp. I was seesawing on the Mini in mint but pulling the trigger on it now because TWSBI's support seems stupid amazing. I thought they only offered a 1 year warranty or something, but nope, it's basically forever. I'm a customer for life now.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Yeah they got back to me real quick when my Vac 700's cap just... Separated from the chrome ring. Sent me a new cap right away for cost of S&H

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

atholbrose posted:

You're supposed to hold the cap in your other hand, y'all.

Nah my other hand is holding the notebook, or stopping it from moving, or sipping a drink, or the like. I do not want to use both hands just for holding pen.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

very tempted with the new stemi check to buy a sailor 1911 L (my grail pen) but instead I just got a TSWBI ECHO in all clear and calling it good. Going to maybe grab some new ink though...

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Bit of step down, there.

You should be like me and only buy what you truly want. For example, I bought another Delta today.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I still really want one of these Wancher urushi pens

FFT
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

HopperUK posted:

Nah my other hand is holding the notebook, or stopping it from moving, or sipping a drink, or the like. I do not want to use both hands just for holding pen.
Unless you need to be pinky out whilst sipping you could hold the cap with just your pinky and still have most of the use of your non-writing hand

But otherwise I agree, if posting is bad for a pen I'm not likely to get that pen

:justpost:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Getting this Moonman 80 Mini from the Aliexpress sale (with tiny squeeze converter):

Am not getting this absurdity:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
What in the world is that?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Heath posted:

What in the world is that?

A pen that doubles as a buttonhole button (you can see it on the guy at the right)

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

:eyepop:

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
I'm really tempted at the Moonman T1. Is it anywhere near the quality of a TWSBI? It looks like Ali has it for around $22 if I play my cards right.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ok the Draco is much better looking in person than in photos. Just saying.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Bank posted:

I'm really tempted at the Moonman T1. Is it anywhere near the quality of a TWSBI? It looks like Ali has it for around $22 if I play my cards right.

Having both the Moonman feels both more quality and less than the Eco. The Aluminium makes is feel better than the Eco but the transition between the metal and plastic of the barrel feels just s little off. The Eco's nib is a bit better as well.

Overall you won't feel disappointed with the Moonman but it does feel a little cheaper than the TWSBI Eco, but a slight step up from the Go.

Or it could just be confirmation bias.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
Thanks for the insight! I've also read that the difference in materials causes some imbalance and can actually crack it. I think I'll just stick with the TWSBIs.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Fun Shoe
Further to the ringtop chat earlier, I just noticed that this Japanese stationery shop is doing a modern ringtop for their 70th anniversary - limited run of 70. It's made by Pilot and has a purple urushi finish. Nib is Pilot's 18k #10 and has a custom laser etched design, which isn't really common among Pilots as far as I can recall.

https://www.yotsuba-bungu.jp/?pid=152741865

If you have 96,000 yen lying around, act now before they're all gone :v:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

iospace posted:

Ok the Draco is much better looking in person than in photos. Just saying.

Yeah, the acrylic has a nice retro feel to it, the piston works well, the nib is well tuned. My only real complaints are that the metal on metal threads feel cheap, and the nib itself is maybe a hair too small for the proportions of the pen.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
What kinda weird Delta is that?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

howe_sam posted:

Yeah, the acrylic has a nice retro feel to it, the piston works well, the nib is well tuned. My only real complaints are that the metal on metal threads feel cheap, and the nib itself is maybe a hair too small for the proportions of the pen.

I felt the nib was ok, size wise, but I went with a fine for mine. Should have gone with a medium given the ink in using (black swan in Australian roses) but alas.

Still an enjoyable pen.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ok, can someone refresh my memory on what the specific issue with the Curidas feeds was? Thanks

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

iospace posted:

Ok, can someone refresh my memory on what the specific issue with the Curidas feeds was? Thanks

Cracked.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Internally or externally, because I'm having hard start problems now. Might be a clog, might be that, no clue. I'm planning on switching the ink up though.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Fun Shoe

iospace posted:

Internally or externally, because I'm having hard start problems now. Might be a clog, might be that, no clue. I'm planning on switching the ink up though.

I don't think that's a feed issue, it's just a Curidas issue. Mine has an intact feed and also hard starts. I figure they hadn't quite ironed out all the kinks in the door design.

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
drat I love the colors on this thing.

Sailor Pro Gear Kure Azur

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How safe is it to go through ebay or etsy—or amazon—for a pricier pen? If I see a Lamy 2000 for $150 or a Pilot Custom 912 for $220, should I be suspicious of fraud and stick to major retailers even if they stay much closer to sticker price?

Bank
Feb 20, 2004
I personally would avoid it. I've seen a lot of sketchy stuff on Etsy, it's the wild wild west of fake stuff out there. I've seen people sell video game flash carts with a bunch of :filez: on it, a lot of questionable watch bracelets (with the brand on it, for an impossibly low price).

Lamy 2000 fakes are actually a thing, I haven't heard about fake 912s though. I think the cheapest place for a Lamy 2000 is Endless Pens who is a grey seller. They usually have Black Friday sales, and just last week they sold the Lamy 2000 for $99(!). It did sell out very quickly though, but you can definitely get a great price on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Thanks!