Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Super No Vacancy posted:

i've had the music muted for like 440 of my 445 hours playing this game. i open spotify and listen to good music instead

Isaac has been my go to " game to play while listening to a podcast " for years

Man, the new curse of darkness doesn't gently caress around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I hope they walk it back because it is extremely not fun to have the gamma cranked to max and I still can't see a single goddamn thing

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I’m confused, curse of darkness seems better than it used to be for me?

Augus fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 2, 2021

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah if I turn it to 100 gamma it seems about how it was before? Although a curse that just asks you to change the settings is really stupid and shouldn't be in the game.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm kinda obsessed with Bethany. All of the wild synergies is exactly what I needed to keep my interest.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

LOL Alt-Lost appears to basically just be pre-buff Lost. There's no loving way I'm getting all of the card marks with him.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Vegastar posted:

There's no way to force the actual item, but there is another way. Leave a trinket behind in an item room on your way down. When you're coming back up stop by that same item room and the trinket will have turned in to a broken key that's a one-time use red key you can use at Home

I'd like to add to that You can also leave trinkets in boss rooms, including the boss room with the Dad's Note in it.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

had a hilarious build with haemolacria, tech x and rubber cement, where my tears just exploded into rings that bounced around the room and never despawned ever. two problems though: one, i semi-soft locked myself on a room with Hosts because the rings kept the enemy in a permanently-squished state, so it would never pop open and be vulnerable to damage; and two, i picked up mom's knife by accident which didn't synergize with any of it and killed the whole build :(

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I beat the true final boss. That was a really good ending.

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

LOL Alt-Lost appears to basically just be pre-buff Lost. There's no loving way I'm getting all of the card marks with him.

You have no mantle or D6 but in exchange every single item that would be useless for The Lost is removed from the item pool

Augus fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 3, 2021

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
God drat it. poo poo in this is just too fast I can't process things as they come at me. I keep getting to the super secret boss but just failing cause my HP gets nickeled and dimed away by ultra-fast movement and shot speed my mind's eye can't even react to.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Inzombiac posted:

I'm kinda obsessed with Bethany. All of the wild synergies is exactly what I needed to keep my interest.

She's really stupid on Greed Mode. The massively boosted angel room chance plus her getting bonuses from spamming active items over and over makes it a joke, it's cool

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Literally if I knew the hex editor byte code or whatever to remove Curse of Darkness from my current run I'd enter it Every. Single. Time. Even if not from a gameplay perspective, it's an accessibility nightmare, this includes at 150 gamma. As a person with Bad Eyes from staring at a screen, getting that curse makes the game unplayable for me.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

After more playing, I find Curse of Darkness blows more on certain floors. On Utero/Womb it's nice since it just dims the visible red to a manageable and challenging shadow, but on like Dank Depths or similar graydark floors, I end up not being able to see anything in the mania, and it's just a pain in the goddamn rear end.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Got really excited for infinite wisps (that drop pills when they die) with Book of Virtues + Placebo + Balls of Steel but I guess all the "copier" items have a mechanic now where if you spam them too much they'll start requiring more charges to activate until you go to a new floor. Fair enough, but god drat it!

edit: Ahhh, no, the recharge time is based on the pill you used. I get it.

goferchan fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 3, 2021

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

LifeLynx posted:

Literally if I knew the hex editor byte code or whatever to remove Curse of Darkness from my current run I'd enter it Every. Single. Time. Even if not from a gameplay perspective, it's an accessibility nightmare, this includes at 150 gamma. As a person with Bad Eyes from staring at a screen, getting that curse makes the game unplayable for me.

N1TE L1TE as a seed will prevent it, though it disables achievements / I assume unlocks. Not ideal, but like until mods come back maybe.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

New update out, patch notes here:
https://steamcommunity.com/games/250900/announcements/detail/3007816130312947507

quote:

- Added Restock Machines back to Shops, with a 25% chance to replace the Donation Machine
:)

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Haven't played BOI properly since the first remake came out - what's this fleshy door at the mausoleum and how do I open it?

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

tithin posted:

Haven't played BOI properly since the first remake came out - what's this fleshy door at the mausoleum and how do I open it?

With the knife! And I just learned if you open the door, then take a devil deal, when you get back out the door closes and you have no knife anymore. And I'm on a challenge so the portal down doesn't open either and I'm softlocked. Thanks Ed!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I've never really cared about the lore, but the FINAL end is really good.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
FINALfinalendv10usethisone.doc

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

GuavaMoment posted:

With the knife! And I just learned if you open the door, then take a devil deal, when you get back out the door closes and you have no knife anymore. And I'm on a challenge so the portal down doesn't open either and I'm softlocked. Thanks Ed!

That seems like it's going to be very very very RNG to open

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

tithin posted:

That seems like it's going to be very very very RNG to open

The other knife. The one you get the pieces of in the new floors. :)

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

i somehow got leviathan, guppy, book worm, and yes mother in the same run. i had brimstone with rubber cement and like every damage pickup, along with some kind of brain worm trinket that made my brimstone seek out an enemy if it missed. when my brimstone finally hit something, it fractured and each fracture made a vortex that sucked enemies in and damaged them. then when the enemies died, they spawned a random familiar for the room.

i ended up killing hush in a few minutes, then did a victory lap run and killed him again in under a minute. probably the most busted run to date

game still owns hard

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Large rooms are still the worst thing that was ever added to Isaac

God help you if you get no damage as well

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
oh i forgot to mention one of my favourite repentnce changes

ace cards are now sick as hell cause they transform enemies into their respective pickup so if you get one of those huge rooms with lots of flies its like free 30 coins or a bunch of soul hearts theyre nuts and i no longer groan when i get them in shops especially ace of hearts.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

ArfJason posted:

oh i forgot to mention one of my favourite repentnce changes

ace cards are now sick as hell cause they transform enemies into their respective pickup so if you get one of those huge rooms with lots of flies its like free 30 coins or a bunch of soul hearts theyre nuts and i no longer groan when i get them in shops especially ace of hearts.

holy gently caress

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Am I reading spoilers right in that every single character now has an unlockable “B-side” with associated completion marks and unlocks? If so I’ll abandon my fresh file and jump right back in on my 1001% file.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

pumpinglemma posted:

Am I reading spoilers right in that every single character now has an unlockable “B-side” with associated completion marks and unlocks? If so I’ll abandon my fresh file and jump right back in on my 1001% file.

You are correct. I chose not to start a new save for this same reason.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Holy crap, I now see why Ed was recommending people not start fresh saves.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i dont wanna say i mad but

room full of whip guys + the towers that shield them, got hosed up by the whips trying to get to the towers, lined up one of them with lil brim and only had one guy left to kill, behind that three rock formation on the left. Charge lil brim, kill him and just as i do so the thwomp crushes me. I mad.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

:stonk: The bosses in The Corpse do not play around even a little bit. Just beat Rotgut which was a serious what the gently caress moment with the sidescrolling second and third forms, then got absolutely disassembled by the second form of Mother despite being pretty drat broken. (Turns out Brimstone, controlled tears and technology 2 gives you an absurd three-way synergy where technology 2 acts as a sighting laser for permanent controllable brimstones...!) I really loving love the way they removed the special item pool, runs with interesting synergies feel a lot more common now.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

God drat it - I got a really good run with crickets body + parasite + ludo + guppy and thought I was finally going to clear the antibirth, except the combination is constantly crashing on the Rotgut side-scrolling parts and I'm completely stuck. This sucks a lot, particularly because I have the missing poster and had an extremely good chance of scumming my way through getting the Lost unlock for the Mother fight.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Yeah the patchnotes for yesterdays update mentioned crash fixes in rotgut but it seems its an inherently glitchy fight that might have a lot of other bugs run unnoticed.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

oh wow, it makes me unreasonably happy that Lucky Foot has its PHD effect from the flash game

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Finally beat the super secret end! After I had just hosed up in this manner AGAIN and went to the mom fight without the proper equipment and wanted to break something. But then I followed with a very strong run. Was pissed though still because I thought I'd get some alt character I'd been hearing about either just one or all of them. But no apparently I was supposed to use that loving Red Key in the home somewhere...I swear I tried it in every god drat room and nothing!! Maybe the wrong version of home? But now I have to get the red key and go back there AGAIN!!!! Frustrating! But glad I was able to win that fight at least and the ending was cool.

I like those balance changes. Should decrease the chance where I have a solid run going but die because I get no health for like three straight floors. One thing about this is that when you get a good run going it's awesome and engaging all the way through the end of it. I'd still like to see a slight speed decrease on hard though, and also an across-the-board starting damage buff.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 3, 2021

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

ArfJason posted:

Yeah the patchnotes for yesterdays update mentioned crash fixes in rotgut but it seems its an inherently glitchy fight that might have a lot of other bugs run unnoticed.

What sucks is I can clear phase one fine, and have enough flies to clear phase two, but then I’m hosed for three because I’m out of flies and have to touch him with the tear which then insta crashes. Same if any of the smaller worm spawns touch it.

Might just wait for another hot fix or two to go out.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Kawalimus posted:

Finally beat the super secret end! After I had just hosed up in this manner AGAIN and went to the mom fight without the proper equipment and wanted to break something. But then I followed with a very strong run. Was pissed though still because I thought I'd get some alt character I'd been hearing about either just one or all of them. But no apparently I was supposed to use that loving Red Key in the home somewhere...I swear I tried it in every god drat room and nothing!! Maybe the wrong version of home? But now I have to get the red key and go back there AGAIN!!!! Frustrating! But glad I was able to win that fight at least and the ending was cool.

you have to use it on the wall in the left hallway, the whole Home is actually symmetrical once you open the secret red door

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Vegastar posted:

you have to use it on the wall in the left hallway, the whole Home is actually symmetrical once you open the secret red door

Oh so you have to go up to the actual wall then. No wonder it didn't work for me. drat it! This is why it's so hard to not look things up because I don't want to be spoiled but then crap like this happens lol. Oh well. I guess I'll grind curse rooms for that stupid item later tonight.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Kawalimus posted:

Oh so you have to go up to the actual wall then. No wonder it didn't work for me. drat it! This is why it's so hard to not look things up because I don't want to be spoiled but then crap like this happens lol. Oh well. I guess I'll grind curse rooms for that stupid item later tonight.

More spoilers, but there's a way to force it. Leave a trinket anywhere on the way down to the Depths in either an item room or boss room. On the way back up it'll be a Cracked Key consumable that's a one-time use red key so you're guaranteed to be able to open the door if you save it until Home. You should also see a faint red outline of the door on the wall if you're holding a red/cracked key indicating where to use it

I love playing Isaac but some of this poo poo is so obfuscated I've just gone full-spoiler on almost every expansion just so I'm not pissed I finished a really hard thing only to find out I missed a component like this and get to do it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Vegastar posted:

More spoilers, but there's a way to force it. Leave a trinket anywhere on the way down to the Depths in either an item room or boss room. On the way back up it'll be a Cracked Key consumable that's a one-time use red key so you're guaranteed to be able to open the door if you save it until Home

I even read that but didn't know those were referring to the same thing. Thanks!!