Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Stexils posted:

that probably is exactly the case. every COD with multiplayer doesn't just need to compete against other multiplayer games, it needs to compete against previous games in the franchise people are still playing and do so convincingly enough to establish a playerbase quickly. if they don't do things differently how are they going to sell people on a 60 dollar purchase rather than sticking with the game they already have and can play?

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of them trying new things, I think the main issue is the implementation more than anything else. For instance, on paper weapon variants could be good, but when then they do it so that there are actual mechanical changes to the variants (as opposed to it being purely cosmetic) it falls apart pretty much as soon as the game is out, probably because they're suddenly having to balance 300 guns instead of 30.

Specifically I think one of the big things they wanted to do with IW with regards to the game's identity was make it much more conducive to rushing and fast play than most of the other games in the series, so sprint recovery times are near instant regardless of the weapon, jetpacks recharge very quickly and you're actually penalized with weapon sway should you dare to aim down your sights longer than half a second.

In the end though all that seems to have happened is that you've got a bunch of incredibly good players using the same LMG (since there's no real downside to it anymore) floating through the map. It's kind of neat to watch but sucks a lot of variety out of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It really bugs me when voice acting direction doesn't bother to catch simple pronunciation goofs. In Horizon Zero Dawn I just got to the first big backstory dump about (loving) Ted Faro, and immediately after that Aloy and another character are just talking back and forth about him, Aloy pronouncing his last name "Fahro" and the other guy saying "Fairo" every time. Just one of those things that makes it stick out that they're voice actors recording things independently who were probably never even in the same room together :sigh:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Captain Hygiene posted:

It really bugs me when voice acting direction doesn't bother to catch simple pronunciation goofs. In Horizon Zero Dawn I just got to the first big backstory dump about (loving) Ted Faro, and immediately after that Aloy and another character are just talking back and forth about him, Aloy pronouncing his last name "Fahro" and the other guy saying "Fairo" every time. Just one of those things that makes it stick out that they're voice actors recording things independently who were probably never even in the same room together :sigh:

Ted Faro does not deserve the dignity of consistent pronunciation.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Ted Faro does not deserve the dignity of consistent pronunciation.

You know what, fair.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Captain Hygiene posted:

Just pretend they're both being passive-aggressive about it and hoping the other person will catch on that they're pronouncing it "wrong"

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Captain Hygiene posted:

You know what, Fairo.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

christmas boots posted:

Just pretend they're both being passive-aggressive about it and hoping the other person will catch on that they're pronouncing it "wrong"

haha, i was going to say this

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's actually pronounced "fuh-ro" in a Scooby-Doo voice.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Foirot

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ted Fucko

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ted Faro did nothing wrong, he did his best given the circumstances, and we need to acknowledge that.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Someone's posting from Thebes

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The little thing dragging Horizon down is that everything in the game that wasn't explaining what happened in the past and the DLC zone was kinda mediocre. I hope the sequel takes from the open world games that came after it and makes things a lot tighter for the gameplay and the present plotline.

The DLC zone was really linear for the story stuff but just felt way better designed to me. And the snow was absolutely gorgeous.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

'I only read it, I never heard it outloud!'

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
The little thing dragging Horizon: Zero Dawn is that its name is backwards. I always have to stop myself from calling it Zero Dawn: Horizon

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The Gunner class in Phantasy Star Online 2 has a gimmick where it can target a specific part of an enemy and any normal attacks made at it starts to build up a chain, then you hit it with a special move and you'll get a multiplier on it.

The problem is very often when I'm trying to hit the cap of 100, the part will break and I wasted my drat time on it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Hardcordion posted:

The little thing dragging Horizon: Zero Dawn is that its name is backwards. I always have to stop myself from calling it Zero Dawn: Horizon
The little thing that really drags the name down is that it makes no sense. I've played the game for 20 hours and I still don't know what it's even supposed to refer to. It's random gibberish.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

"Zero Dawn" is related to the main plot, but otherwise it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

The little thing that really drags the name down is that it makes no sense. I've played the game for 20 hours and I still don't know what it's even supposed to refer to. It's random gibberish.

It's the name of the project that wiped out all life on earth in order to reboot it

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Alhazred posted:

It's the name of the project that wiped out all life on earth in order to reboot it

Not quite.

It was the public name of the project to have anything able to reboot. The public thought they were fighting to buy time for a super weapon called Zero Dawn but really it was the apocalypse bunkers with the embryo facilities and reterraforming tech

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I thought that was Operation Enduring Victory? Zero Day was the projected date of the Hartz-Timor swarm consuming everything, Dawn to make it sound cooler on a box

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ruffian Price posted:

I thought that was Operation Enduring Victory? Zero Day was the projected date of the Hartz-Timor swarm consuming everything, Dawn to make it sound cooler on a box

Nope, enduring victory was giving every man woman and child a gun and pointing them at the swarm to buy time for zero dawn.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Well, it sure would've been nice if the game told me about any of that while I still cared enough to keep playing it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Too many games keep withholding their plot rather than giving me an endless wall of information like the Cyberpunk patch notes.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

For all its faults, Cyberpunk was pretty good about telling you what the plot was, who the major players were, and why you should care.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

bony tony posted:

For all its faults, Cyberpunk was pretty good about telling you what the plot was, who the major players were, and why you should care.

Also really good at telling you that everyones lovely overpriced cars were for sale. That was the plot, right?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

bony tony posted:

For all its faults, Cyberpunk [...]

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/164304220948791296/826647504665706526/cyberpunk_patchnotes.mp4

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

MiddleOne posted:

Also really good at telling you that everyones lovely overpriced cars were for sale. That was the plot, right?

I know intellectually that there were other vehicles than the Akira Bike but why would I give my Cyberbux to anyone for something other than the Akira Bike?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It has a tendency to run away from you and escape into traffic.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Bussamove posted:

I know intellectually that there were other vehicles than the Akira Bike but why would I give my Cyberbux to anyone for something other than the Akira Bike?

I remember having this relationship with Saints Row 3's vehicles. Of which, for all the cars in the game, there were really only two:

-The Wraith
-Everything not worth driving

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Cleretic posted:

I remember having this relationship with Saints Row 3's vehicles. Of which, for all the cars in the game, there were really only two:

-The Wraith
-Everything not worth driving

The sequel really improved the formula in ditching the need for vehicles entirely by turning you into Prototype-man.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
That was incredibly annoying. I actually liked the driving in 3 but there was no point in customising them as it was nearly always quicker to hijack a passing vehicle, so when 4 gave you the ability to teleport-summon cars from your Garage it looked promising. They then give you the ability to run faster than a car and jump-glide across half the map IN THE SAME TRAINING MISSION and nobody ever drove a vehicle again. What a waste of a mechanic...

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
At least they let you use the radio outside the car, which no other goddamn sandbox game ever seems to do.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

At least they let you use the radio outside the car, which no other goddamn sandbox game ever seems to do.

It also shows why they don't do that: it turns out that the average radio selection in a sandbox game gets kinda repetitive when you have constant access to it and control over the station (since chances are you probably only like two or three of the stations). When you're only listening to the radio in transit it never goes constantly enough to get old, and the fact you're constantly dealing with cars that have a different station set means that you're gonna end up listening to more of the soundtrack.

You could even see the Fallout games hit this; there's a reason we all got tired of hearing the news about a guy named Butcher Pete.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cleretic posted:

l

You could even see the Fallout games hit this; there's a reason we all got tired of hearing the news about a guy named Butcher Pete.

But nobody gets tired of Big Iron. :colbert:

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
There was never a man like my Johnny.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Now I'm no longer alone. Without a dream in my heart. Without a love of my own.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

bony tony posted:

"Zero Dawn" is related to the main plot, but otherwise it doesn't make a lot of sense.

Ah, good to know that. As someone who heard a lot about the game and played a bit, but not that far in, it always felt like it should have been named just "Horizon", and then they slapped a ":Zero Dawn" on the end because just "Horizon" didn't sound enough like a Cool Game.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

They've got things like the atom bomb
So I think I'll stay where I ahhm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Bussamove posted:

Use the Beast.
Up armored and fully customized pick up truck with a trans flag painted on it.