Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You could argue that the stress of voicing goku has shortened her life at least a small amount

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

bowmore posted:

You could argue that the stress of voicing goku has shortened her life at least a small amount

:hmmyes:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

bowmore posted:

Again, she’s in her 80’s currently. I’m amazed the woman still has a voice by this point (maybe she really is an immortal alien).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 2, 2021

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m not a child so I don’t use cringe but it would be accurate to use yeah

*shaking head* he doesn't know

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

also we just use the dragon balls to give her immortality. you fools.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Thanks to Super I learned to appreciate the sub cast, but to me nothing is ever going to top the English dub cast. To me, that IS how those characters sound and there's really not much else to say.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The English cast as it is is good (except for Schemmel.) The English cast way back in the day when they were just picked off the street or out of the mailroom were terrible, they've grown into the roles.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Funky Valentine posted:

The English cast as it is is good (except for Schemmel.) The English cast way back in the day when they were just picked off the street or out of the mailroom were terrible, they've grown into the roles.

Except schememel, who has parasitized the role and is now impossible to dislodge.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I liked the Ocean Group Goku when I was a kid

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Brian Drummond as Vegeta was pretty good in my opinion but I’m not sure how well he would have done once they got to the point where he becomes a good guy.

I forget, how far did the Ocean dub get anyway?

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
I remember it stopping halfway through Namek. I loved Vegeta flipping out in rage after discovering Gohan's dragon ball theft and also everything about Recoome.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I think I remember hearing it actually went all the way through Z in Canada or something, but when Funimation picked up the rights for the US it stopped airing over there and restarted with the new dub.

If that is the case, I wonder what dub we got in the UK. I can't remember which one we got.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Veotax posted:

I think I remember hearing it actually went all the way through Z in Canada or something, but when Funimation picked up the rights for the US it stopped airing over there and restarted with the new dub.

If that is the case, I wonder what dub we got in the UK. I can't remember which one we got.

Ocean never touched the original Dragon Ball or GT right?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Last Celebration posted:

Lol, I pretty much exclusively watch the dub for DBZ and even my casual too lazy to read rear end knows Granny Goku owns, she’s been voicing Goku since I was a toddler and it shows in every subbed line I’ve seen. Maybe not the yells quite as much, but like, she’s in her seventies, so eh.

Sorry your casual rear end is casually wrong

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Veotax posted:

I have definitely seen Ocean dub clips of the Buu Arc, so that sounds right.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

From what I remember with how it all worked, the Ocean group dub DID end midway through Namek, once they reached the required 65 episodes for syndication. Once FUNi started doing the dub from that stopping point, and popularity started picking up again, Ocean continued their dub from the same point using FUNi's scripts.

I'm not sure why they did that, probably licensing issues or something. Either way, Ocean's post-Recoome dub didn't start until FUNi had already passed that point.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://twitter.com/ToeiAnlmation/status/1377393797177475075

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

they deleted the whole drat account

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It’s gone, what was it?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Larryb posted:

It’s gone, what was it?

What the. They were announcing the new season of DB super.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

It was a fake account.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ramadu posted:

What the. They were announcing the new season of DB super.

Hakai.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Anlmation

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
All I know is that I miss when Recoome's dub voice was a bad Arnold Schwarzenegger impression rather than his current one where he sounds like someone who gets most of their calories from Bert and Ernie dolls

Also that the Funimation dubs for Movies 1 to 3 suck eggs compared to the old Ocean dubs

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

drrockso20 posted:

All I know is that I miss when Recoome's dub voice was a bad Arnold Schwarzenegger impression
This was never a thing in either Ocean or Funimation dub.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Kild posted:

Anlmation

Oh nooooo ingot adarn scheftered lmao

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
This is my anual check in for Dragon Ball Super. I heard the Moro arc had ended. Was it good? Is there a new arc starting? Any news on the anime? Have they finished uploading Masako's conscious to the internet?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

lezard_valeth posted:

This is my anual check in for Dragon Ball Super. I heard the Moro arc had ended. Was it good? Is there a new arc starting? Any news on the anime? Have they finished uploading Masako's conscious to the internet?

It was ok, a new arc has already started, no news on the anime and at this rate Masako Nozawa will bury us all (she’s 84 and her Goku voice has barely changed near as I can tell)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 2, 2021

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

All I know is that I miss when Recoome's dub voice was a bad Arnold Schwarzenegger impression rather than his current one where he sounds like someone who gets most of their calories from Bert and Ernie dolls

I remember him being voiced by Megatron, but I don't remember him doing an Arnold impression.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I mainly don't mind the directions the dub takes the voice but holy poo poo is Ginyu awful compared to the Japanese version. Japanese Gimyu has this whole superhero thing going on that plays perfectly to the parody while Funimation Ginyu sounds like someone with a cheese grater for a throat gargling his lines.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

lezard_valeth posted:

Moro was pretty good overall, probably better read in a single sitting instead of many months, new arc is in progress but early stages, no news on the anime.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Chris Sabat is a very good voice actor. Piccolo, Yamcha, Armstrong, All Might.

Sadly, his most famous voice as Vegeta is unforgivably bad. Especially compared to Horikawa.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

It kinda pays to remember that originally, Sabat and Schemmell and everyone else in the FUNi dub were just doing impressions of more experienced and talented actors from the Ocean dub. They've all improved by leaps and bounds since then, but those characters' base voices are still based on trying to imitate already established voice actors.

Also, Ocean Recoome is absolutely played differently than FUNi Recoome. Ocean Recoome was supposed to basically sound like a wrestler, FUNi Recoome is supposed to sound like dumb muscle.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Nanigans posted:

Sadly, his most famous voice as Vegeta is unforgivably bad. Especially compared to Horikawa.

What? English Vegeta's voice is awesome.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sabat's Vegeta nowadays legit seems to be taking on influence from Lanipator's Vegeta.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

What? English Vegeta's voice is awesome.

...I disagree. It's way too gravelly and unnatural sounding. It sounds affected. Whereas his Piccolo and Yamcha sound like voices actual people could have. Even Schemmel sounds more natural.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Vegeta doing a tough guy voice for so long he's basically forgotten how to stop or even that he's doing it would be completely in character.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Nanigans posted:

So I'm not the only one imagining him using the Armstrong voice for Vegeta instead right?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I really liked how they made Brian Drummond the Fake Vegeta in Super, because I grew up listening to the OceanDub stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Brian Drummond is the perfect Heel Vegeta voice.