Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
poll
This poll is closed.
answer 1 9 8.33%
answer 2 15 13.89%
answer 3 48 44.44%
answer 4 36 33.33%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Acerbatus posted:

p5 strikers is cool but I am really feeling the lack of akechi and kasumi.

Akechi is a lame nerd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hatty posted:

Akechi is a lame nerd

Words of someone who hasn't gotten to the 9th palace of Royal, where he is a constant and absolute delight to have around.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I've gotten to the part of Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate where I need to start farming parts to make weapons to win other fights. I'm gonna have to kill like five more Lagombis to upgrade my ice sword so I can kill this loving Zinogre

Does elemental damage even do that much on a great sword?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
A few months ago I started playing through the Mega Man X series, which led to also playing through the Legends, Zero, and ZX series. Of these twenty-one games, I'd only played X6, Legends 1, Legends 2, Zero 1, and ZX before (along with barely starting X1 at some point), so blasting through all of them was a lovely look at the golden age of a beloved franchise and how it evolved as an action series over time. Naturally, as a gamer, I have to quantifiably rank them, and enough time has passed now that recency bias hopefully won't be a factor, so prepare yourself from some spicy takes. For the sake of readability, lists and thoughts will be separated.

Mega Man X:
Xtreme 2
Xtreme
Command Mission

As soon as X4 let you properly play as Zero for the first time, I knew in my heart I preferred the feel and pacing of his melee swordplay to X's charge-and-shootplay, which informs this list quite a bit. 4 kicks rear end, from the divergent storyline to the massively improved art style to the mavericks finally starting to demonstrate their sympathetic motives outside of the instruction manual, and generally feeling like the developers were ready to try making a real follow-up to 1 after so much wheel-spinning from 2 and 3.

1 is obviously a quality game, and I can see why it's such a lauded entry in the SNES library, but it loses points for potentially giving you the dash pretty late and just because Zero is so much more fun to play than X.

5 has a lot of bizarre design decisions, like the timer, the bosses leveling up as the timer ticks down, the poorly explained parts system, and the whole RNG potentially removing Zero from play in the endgame, but, well, none of those things really affected my experience! And frankly, I welcome Alia, the settings of the early games feel pretty empty. The mavericks are all cool as heck, the tension wrought by world-ending peril was really effective on me, and the way the game builds to its big climax in the virus stages kicks rear end.

6...I know there's a lot wrong with 6 but it was my first Mega Man game and even now that I know better, I can't help but admire the audacity of its terrible level design decisions. Plus in many ways it feels more designed for Zero than X and I'm here for it. Bonus points for Gate being a nice change of pace from Sigma.

Xtreme and Xtreme 2 are both very cute GBC sorta-demakes of the first three games. You unfortunately can only dash by double-tapping a direction (or in the first one, pressing Start but lol @ that), but the OCs and charm make up for it. They even managed to get 3's music to sound good!

2 isn't a bad game really, it's actually pretty good, but while playing it I couldn't help thinking it didn't live up to the previous game almost constantly. Weaker weapons, some rude item placement, and very uninspired villains in the X Hunters left me less enthused overall. Shoutout to being able to keep Zero's head in your inventory almost the whole game.

Command Mission is a game I wanted to really like, and I still do like many elements of it. The game does a fantastic job of translating the X universe into a JRPG setting in creative mechanical ways and I wasn't surprised to learn many members of its dev team also worked on Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter. The new characters are all a lot of fun, and Sigma isn't anywhere to be seen. But the encounter rate...it's so bad. Skies of Arcadia and Final Fantasy 9 are two of my favorite games, much less JRPGS, and their encounter-related tedium do not compare. And as much fun as the OCs are, they kinda poof right out of existence story-wise once X, Zero, and Axl are reunited. The final cutscene after defeating the final boss doesn't even show the rest of your party! If you like Zero though, my boy gets absolutely busted later on.

7 is not a good game, to be sure, but it absolutely gets a bad rap from its English voice acting. I immediately switched the VA to Japanese and ended up with a game that is very clunky and exudes inexperience with 3D game design. But like, that's fine. It took some chances and experimented and I appreciate that it tried. I certainly didn't encounter the crime against video games that I expected.

3 sucks lol, sorry SNES fans. Dr. Doppler is lame, the implementation of playable Zero is a joke, many of your abilities are just keys to reach other items, and so much of the enemy design consists of nothing but stationary turrets. Lame bosses, terrible music, ugh. Fortunately better things were on the horizon.

8 was disappointing more than anything else. While allowing you to take two characters into a level and tag team as needed is very cool, the game proceeds to gate items behind selecting specific pairs, sometimes putting mutually exclusive stuff in the same level. So I got to play the snowy motorbike level three or four times. Normally I'm alright with stuff like this, after all what's so bad about an excuse to replay fun levels, but 8 has terrible levels. Of the eight maverick stages, fully half of them are different flavors of very boring autoscrollers and the other half was similarly full of gimmicks, only one of which was actually enjoyable (thank you Bamboo Pandamonium for both being the best boss and having the best stage). But still, it's a good thing you have to replay levels so much because in 8, finding hidden items doesn't immediately benefit you. Instead you just unlock new stuff to buy in the shop, stuff you have to buy individually for all of your characters (and you eventually have six). Hope you like grinding, or leaving your console on overnight. At least Axl is pretty cool

Zero was here, X is a loser

this is long so i'll do the rest later

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Once you get them built up a bit Zero and Cinnamon basically shatter any sense of difficulty Command Mission has, yeah (aside from maybe a few secret bosses).

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Gripweed posted:

I've gotten to the part of Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate where I need to start farming parts to make weapons to win other fights. I'm gonna have to kill like five more Lagombis to upgrade my ice sword so I can kill this loving Zinogre

Does elemental damage even do that much on a great sword?
not really. elemental damage is a small amount of flat damage per hit, not effected by MV, so faster weapons are better at element and status. but if you have the element advantage and get good hits it might still be a little better than a raw weapon of the same tier depending on how much attack you're giving up

I mostly don't bother though, especially on gs

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

homeless snail posted:

not really. elemental damage is a small amount of flat damage per hit, not effected by MV, so faster weapons are better at element and status. but if you have the element advantage and get good hits it might still be a little better than a raw weapon of the same tier depending on how much attack you're giving up

I mostly don't bother though, especially on gs

Oh good, maybe just more thunder resistance will be enough.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

On one hand Okami is inarguably better than Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, on the other hand thats praise so faint I need to take ultra high def photos and crank up contrast to max just to see it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
wtf

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

rise has a really weird customizable weapon you can get from the tower defense mode, and honestly it's real hard for me to justify using anything else. you choose its element, you can gently caress with its affinity, it has three different sharpness bars you can choose from depending on whether you want a super long one or one that's short but very sharp

most of them look a little lame though, that's a big downside

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Barudak posted:

On one hand Okami is inarguably better than Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, on the other hand thats praise so faint I need to take ultra high def photos and crank up contrast to max just to see it.

Wait, now I'm not sure if the bad games you post about are actually good or not, everything I know is in question

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

oot is honestly pretty low on my zelda list, after three games that were totally stuffed full of secrets to explore, they made a game that is a couple of interesting isolated areas seperated by a huge empty expanse. pretty much far cry 0

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Even with the time mechanics being a pain, Majora's Mask is super atmospheric and cool even as a person that usually doesn't like Zelda that much.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

homeless snail posted:

oot is honestly pretty low on my zelda list, after three games that were totally stuffed full of secrets to explore, they made a game that is a couple of interesting isolated areas seperated by a huge empty expanse. pretty much far cry 0

I've heard a lot of people complain about oot but "hyrule field is too big" is a new one to me, considering how little time you actually spend there

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

it'd be better if you spent zero time there

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CubeTheory posted:

Wait, now I'm not sure if the bad games you post about are actually good or not, everything I know is in question

I have to go off the only objective rubric I have, did I finish the game.

This leads to things like requiring me to say Legrand Legacy is a better game than Persona 3 and Shin Megami Tensei IV and Apocalypse

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

drat there are so many flash games that are better than final fantasy six

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Game please don’t make me do this.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jay Rust posted:

drat there are so many flash games that are better than final fantasy six

:stonk:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sonny 1 and 2 are surprisingly fun RPG's for flash games

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I think I liked the prologue structure of 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim more than the main game structure, at least in terms of interspersing VN stuff and robot fights.

The battles aren’t the most thrilling gameplay but I found them engaging enough when they were peppered through the story, but having to manually select and then work through a gauntlet of them feels like a bit more of a chore. Is there a recommended way to stagger them, or should I just grind through as story unlocks demand?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Roach Warehouse posted:

I think I liked the prologue structure of 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim more than the main game structure, at least in terms of interspersing VN stuff and robot fights.

The battles aren’t the most thrilling gameplay but I found them engaging enough when they were peppered through the story, but having to manually select and then work through a gauntlet of them feels like a bit more of a chore. Is there a recommended way to stagger them, or should I just grind through as story unlocks demand?

The best advice I can give is that you should do what works best for you

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I finally woke up from a dream loop I got stuck in. I kept waking up and realizing I was still dreaming only to wake up again and repeat the whole process like 5 or 6 times.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

FirstAidKite posted:

I finally woke up from a dream loop I got stuck in. I kept waking up and realizing I was still dreaming only to wake up again and repeat the whole process like 5 or 6 times.

are you sure?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

okami is my favorite game and i'll tell you why

1. you play as a dog. a very good dog.

2. it looks beautiful, of course. the art style is so well done, the colors and animations and everything just fits together. also you can draw a funny face on a piece of paper and wear it as a mask

3. it's one of the very few games that granted my wish of wanting more game. i beat the evil boss again and thought, "wait, there's like several more weapon slots i haven't filled in. there's gotta be more game right?" and lo, there was

4. the story is fantastic. you run around and grow flowers and make people happy, which is the most beautiful thing in the world. then you use their happiness as a currency to level up

5. it's zelda. it has all the zelda mechanics. it's great.

Regy Rusty posted:

You had to hold it vertically to charge it. It sucked!

i got pretty good at this and the glaives are my favorite weapon. they're big swords! i used the beads for a long time and that just made my arm very sore. like someone who masturbates a lot, i guess.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

are you sure?

I love reading advice on how to "realize you are in a dream and wake up" because none of it makes any sense. Like, "look at your hands, if your hands are all messed up its a dream" or "look at a clock, then look at the clock again, if its totally different its a dream." I don't know if I've ever even had a dream in first-person, much less had any actual control over what I was doing in a dream to the point where I could intentionally look at clocks.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lucid dreaming is real, lookin at your timepiece can be that last trick you need to gain full control. The dream constructs hating if you bring up yourself being in a dream is real too, you'll end up seeing them get really angry and wake up soon if you do

The advice about checkin' your watch is more so you get in the habit of doing it everyday, then hopefully your dream self will also do it. Then you can see that the numbers don't make any sense, or look at some words you can't actually read anything while dreaming. Even if you know what something says trying to parse it is impossible, it's just random semi symbols

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 3, 2021

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Acerbatus posted:

p5 strikers is cool but I am really feeling the lack of akechi and kasumi.

Their replacements are pretty cool, though. And by that I mean recipes:

I have been worried about working with raw fish in the past but I was inspired by wuggles' discord sushiposting to give it a shot. Osaka sushi is made flat in a mold, which I don't have. I also don't have a sushi mat for the normal rolls, so I went with a hand roll (temaki).

Ahi yellowfin tuna. The sashimi and nigiri cuts I tried reminded me that I need to sharpen my knives lol. The hand roll featured sushi rice, the ahi tossed with scallion greens and the chimichurri (olive oil, lime juice, parsley, cilantro) from my previous churrasco recipe, tamago (egg prepared with dashi, soy sauce, mirin -- my rolling was whatever lol), then carrot slivers and daikon sprouts. A dollop of spicy mayo (mayo mixed with sweet habanero Cholula) to top it off (also used on the nigiri)

The rice was very good. I had enough of all the ingredients left over that I tossed them into a bowl and also had poke on the side lol

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 3, 2021

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Hell yeah dude that looks delicious

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
The only lucid dream I've ever had was one where I was Gohan from Dragonball Z and then I realized I was in a dream and became me and I couldn't fly anymore because I can't fly

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

If anyone is interested I'm going to stream some insect glaive practice for a bit and then switch over to Persona 5 Royal where I am about halfway through (after Futaba's palace) http://www.twitch.tv/wuggsybogues

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I very often hit the boundary of lucidity, to the point where I wake up from dreams in dreams, but I've never cracked it yet.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm dreaming right now

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I very often hit the boundary of lucidity, to the point where I wake up from dreams in dreams, but I've never cracked it yet.

Keeping a dream diary is supposed to help, I dunno I Lucid dreamed a lot when I was younger but nowadays it just doesn't seem to happen.

Ashwaghanda root can give you some loving intense dreams the first couple times you take it if your into that

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

What are people's favorite food mechanics in games they've played recently? I normally despise crafting elements in my games, but I really loved how eating a food for the first time in Bloodstained would permanently increase your base stats. Not only does that give decent incentive to the player to mess with the system, but it implies a certain fun-loving, novelty seeking element to Miriam's character that I appreciate.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
In the original Odin Sphere, you have two levels: your attack level, raised by fighting enemies, and your HP level, raised by eating

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

would saying Battle Chef Brigade be cheating because the cooking is core to the gameplay/story? because that game rules

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Keeping a dream diary is supposed to help, I dunno I Lucid dreamed a lot when I was younger but nowadays it just doesn't seem to happen.

Ashwaghanda root can give you some loving intense dreams the first couple times you take it if your into that

I've had to take a course of malaria pills twice and that stuff fucks you up dreamwise.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

In the original Odin Sphere, you have two levels: your attack level, raised by fighting enemies, and your HP level, raised by eating

Oh that's rad. That kind of reminds me of how The World Ends With You does food. Are there different foods to use, and if so, what does that variety offer in terms of gameplay?

Mix. posted:

would saying Battle Chef Brigade be cheating because the cooking is core to the gameplay/story? because that game rules

I'd say it counts. The only games about making food I know of are Cooking Mama and that one Lilo and Stitch flash game where you stacked sandwiches. How does that game work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The main cooking is a match 3 game except you have to defeat monsters to get the ingredients to get your blocks.