Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

RBX posted:

Liked ToQ. Good series.

How is Gaim over hyped? I remember us all mostly loving it. Great intro/opening theme.

Most of the Gaim hype people are all dead and gone, or at least the ones who remained in these threads now have a much more moderate viewpoint. The Urobuchi hype when it came out was super huge and in the end it was not one of his better works. The start of the show is kind of a mess that begs a lot of the audience to accept things that don't really make a lot of sense. The setup for many of the characters fails horribly as the show goes on and the best ones are the ones whose actors are basically carrying their roles. I feel like a lot of the time the show is going "look at this cool thing" and expecting that to be enough and for the audience to not really question the events that lead into those things or follow after them. It's a very mediocre outing for Rider and it's hard to recommend over even other shows that have maybe a strong beginning or middle and crash at the end.

Thunderbolt Fantasy's first season I think is a much better written show, but even in that you can see some similarity in Urobuchi's weaknesses as a writer, and the second season of that show is even worse, though not quite as bad as Gaim gets. Still, Pili's puppetry goes a long way to keeping that series watchable and I am still really hyped for the new season.

ToQger, though? ToQger owns. I can see people maybe not getting into the knockoff style costumes and the sometimes childishness and whimsy that is part and parcel of the concept, but few sentai have a villain crew that is as fantastic as ToQger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

FIRST ANNOUNCEMENT

https://twitter.com/HKR20_official/status/1378120115133161472

https://www.kamen-rider-official.com/kr50th/fuuto_en

Fuuto Detectives anime

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So is this an adaptation of the W manga then? I wonder if they’ll be able to get any of the old cast back to voice their characters.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Oh gently caress. Yeah, I'll absolutely watch that.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Interesting. I can't wait to see a PV or something, but I assume that's still a long ways off given the 2022 date.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/1378135256054820865

And there we go.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
that's Ultraman X finished. Hybrid Armour looked really clunky but i'd be lying if i didn't have a big grin when that whole sequence happened.

i don't think there were really any episodes i disliked. i have some feelings on the fact that the two commanders' focus episodes involve the guy being dedicated to his duty to the detriment of his family while the woman's is about how she worries she's putting her family over her work and therefore should step down, but she got to be Ultraman for a day so that part was cool

i really liked the lab team goofballs. Gomora is precious. what a nice show.

just gotta watch the movie at some point since my bluray set has it, then i guess i'll double back round to Ultra Seven once i've had a little break and am ready for another Ultra show

quote:

posts about ToQger

thanks for the replies, everyone. i'll definitely grab some episodes and give it another go

i really need to get around to watching W

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Homora Gaykemi posted:

You really, really do.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kamen Rider Black is apparently getting an Amazons style reboot as well:

https://www.kamen-rider-official.com/kr50th/blacksun_en

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

SECOND ANNOUNCEMENT

https://twitter.com/HKR20_official/status/1378150298292641795

https://www.kamen-rider-official.com/kr50th/blacksun_en

An adult-oriented reboot of Kamen Rider Black!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apparently there’s also going to be a third announcement released later tonight.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Larryb posted:

Apparently there’s also going to be a third announcement released later tonight.

https://twitter.com/ZacEnzr/status/1375968371393638404?s=19

Yep. Black Sun is the second one, so expect a third announcement in about 9 and a half hours.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

https://twitter.com/ZacEnzr/status/1375968371393638404?s=19

Yep. Black Sun is the second one, so expect a third announcement in about 9 and a half hours.

I’m guessing it’s probably going to be a movie or something along those lines

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Homora Gaykemi posted:

W is pretty amazing. Among the top seasons, easily.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Larryb posted:

I’m guessing it’s probably going to be a movie or something along those lines

There was that trademark for Shin Kamen Rider a little while ago, it's probably that.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

God, they're really going all out for the anniversary. I'll be honest: I really dislike what Kamen Rider has become. Zi-O was fun and a show that constantly grew, but it was also a mess. Zero-One just completely ruined all the goodwill it got from the first arc and became loathsome. And Saber is mediocrity itself and the direst endpoint for a show like Kamen Rider, just throwing toy after toy at the screen for the kids to buy without trying to actually have a plot that uses those toys effectively (or at least, it was when Genm Corp disappeared and I took it as the right moment to stop watching completely).

But goddamn these look so good. I was already really enjoying Fuuto Tantei's manga until Genm Corp stopped translating, so having it actually subbed by a professional company at that is great, means that it won't suffer the same fate of every other non-live action Kamen Rider series. Hopefully it'll deliver on the animation side as well, and they can get as many actors as possible to reprise their roles, though I imagine Masaki Suda is definitely not happening. And Kamen Rider Black Sun completely blindsided me (and everyone, I imagine). I haven't watched Black, but everyone knows of Black's reputation as one of the best if not THE best, so choosing it as Amazons' successor feels very natural. I can only hope it has its own identity but keeps the level of quality Amazons and Black themselves had.

Can't wait for Shin Kamen Rider: The Continuation later.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I haven't watched Black properly but I do love his Henshin. Particularly how he tenses the gently caress up, like he is trying to control it and is afraid of what would happen if he completely lets loose. Then you see the brief shot of the Grasshopper mutant before it transitions to Black and you find out why.

If I may pose this question to the thread, what are you favorite transformation/henshin sequences in Toku?

Also, my only hope for the W sequel anime is that they get the 15 ft man that did the Gaia Memory sound-offs again.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Blaze Dragon posted:

God, they're really going all out for the anniversary. I'll be honest: I really dislike what Kamen Rider has become. Zi-O was fun and a show that constantly grew, but it was also a mess. Zero-One just completely ruined all the goodwill it got from the first arc and became loathsome. And Saber is mediocrity itself and the direst endpoint for a show like Kamen Rider, just throwing toy after toy at the screen for the kids to buy without trying to actually have a plot that uses those toys effectively (or at least, it was when Genm Corp disappeared and I took it as the right moment to stop watching completely).

But goddamn these look so good. I was already really enjoying Fuuto Tantei's manga until Genm Corp stopped translating, so having it actually subbed by a professional company at that is great, means that it won't suffer the same fate of every other non-live action Kamen Rider series. Hopefully it'll deliver on the animation side as well, and they can get as many actors as possible to reprise their roles, though I imagine Masaki Suda is definitely not happening. And Kamen Rider Black Sun completely blindsided me (and everyone, I imagine). I haven't watched Black, but everyone knows of Black's reputation as one of the best if not THE best, so choosing it as Amazons' successor feels very natural. I can only hope it has its own identity but keeps the level of quality Amazons and Black themselves had.

Can't wait for Shin Kamen Rider: The Continuation later.

I liked Zero-One, so I guess take this with a grain of salt*, but keep in mind, even for those of you who didn't like it, it's two bad series. From what I remember reading in this thread, Super Sentai was bad for much, much longer, even if it wasn't necessary as dire as Saber is. It won't take a lot to turn the series around.

That being said, these new reveals are really exciting, and I'm impatiently anticipating the reveal from tonight/tomorrow morning.

*I think I also dislike Saber significantly more than the rest of the thread, to be fair. :v:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I wonder if this means that the next Rider series after Saber will also relate to the show’s anniversary somehow

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

What are the "bad" sentai/KR generally? I don't remember.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

RBX posted:

Ghost, Wizard, sometimes Kiva depending on the person, Decade usually gets hit with "it's bad but it's the fun kind of bad", the post-writer swap Hibiki, I know quite a few Kabuto haters but also a lot of defenders...

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Can’t really think of a lot of outright bad Sentai aside from Ninninger and Lupinranger Vs Patranger (and even those have their bright spots). Ryusoulger maybe but that’s more mediocre than anything

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Larryb posted:

Can’t really think of a lot of outright bad Sentai aside from Ninninger and Lupinranger Vs Patranger (and even those have their bright spots). Ryusoulger maybe but that’s more mediocre than anything

I've heard people say that Gaoranger was boring (although a part of that may be connected to Wild Force being a straight copy of it for the most part)

Zyuranger I've also heard is just uninteresting with flat heroes

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Having seen both of them myself, those shows at the very least had interesting/entertaining villains to carry them if nothing else.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

RBX posted:

Dairanger and Ohranger are the bad 90's Sentai, we don't really get an outright bad Sentai again till Ninninger, then we next get LuPat and Ryusoulger for bad ones*

Kamen Rider has Hibiki, Kiva, Wizard, Ghost, and Zero-One as it's bad series(not quite fair to call Saber bad till it's over though the odds of it having some sort of upswing in quality in it's back half is pretty unlikely), though of the Phase 1 Heisei Riders only Kuuga, Kabuto, and Den-O seem to have widespread consensus as being good, and of Phase 2 OOO's, Gaim, and Zi-O all have noticeable issues

*while they aren't great overall I feel Zyuohger or Kyuranger don't really hit low enough to be outright bad, same with Goseiger

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
please, tell me what OOO's noticeable issues are.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

DoctorWhat posted:

The main flaw I've heard that compared to Shotaro and Philip before him and Gentaro after him, Eiji is kind of an uninteresting hero?

And also people being butthurt that Akira stops being Birth and gives it over to Shintaro.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

DoctorWhat posted:

Really bad fight choreography(mostly on Eiji's part), really bad usage of the show's special effects budget, and overall just a really mediocre middle to end stretch that is both boring and can easily be skipped(I've said it before you can basically skip everything between Shauta form's debut and the last three or so episodes without missing anything actually important that the show won't just recap in those final episodes anyways)

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Homora Gaykemi posted:

just gotta watch the movie at some point since my bluray set has it

turns out "at some point" was "right now" since it's a Saturday afternoon so why not

it was fine, i guess? it was fun seeing the original Ultraman doing his graps poo poo again, and Hayato just straight up Gatchamanned that antlion monster lmao

the professor blowing up the lab trying to make a beta capsule was funny

and like eight colour timers all flashing there at the end and no narrator to tell me what any of them mean!

King of Solomon posted:

You really, really do.

Potsticker posted:

W is pretty amazing. Among the top seasons, easily.

i've had it sitting waiting to watch for a literal decade at this point, lol

*crumbles to dust*

DoctorWhat posted:

Eiji and Ankh don't kiss at the end

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

RBX posted:

This is going to get a lot of different responses because everyone likes what they like (for instance, from drrockso20's list, I disagree about Kabuto being good, OOO being notoriously flawed, and Zyuohger not being great), but entirely from my own perspective and no one else's..

-Rider: Ghost, Wizard, Zero-One and Saber are all really not worth a watch (beyond the first arc of Zero-One that's actually really good, which makes the rest being so bad even worse). Faiz, Kabuto, Den-O and Kiva are also pretty flawed but have some good points, though whether those are enough to offset them is up to the viewer (I definitely think Faiz is more bad than good, though the rest are at least messy but good). Decade and Zi-O are both complete messes of a show that end up being enjoyable but nonetheless I can't exactly call them good.

-Sentai: Dairanger, Goseiger, Ninninger and Lupinranger vs Patranger stand out as the Sentai I disliked the most. Others like Kyuranger fail to do what they set up to do but are at least an enjoyable, if not impressive, watch. Ryusoulger is pure mediocrity but I can't put it on the same level of terrible as Ninninger or LuPat, while still absolutely being something I won't ever recommend.

Homora Gaykemi posted:

Eiji and Ankh don't kiss at the end

I'm sure they'll kiss once Toei stops playing with our feelings and lets them finally be together forever this time.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

RBX posted:

I don't watch Super Sentai, so I can only speak to Kamen Rider. Ghost and Saber are the big ones for me, and while I liked it at the time, given what I remember about Drive, I imagine it aged terribly. I also liked Kiva, but there were long stretches that I don't think are very good; fantastic music, though.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

RBX posted:

I feel like everyone else covered this pretty well. I feel like Wizard is at least as watchable as Zi-O, though I felt Zi-O as a whole is probably the stronger show. Ghost and Ninninger I feel like are probably the worst of the worst, Saber I didn't stay around long enough to get a really good feel, and like LuPat and Kyuranger even have some redeeming qualities even though I really, really disliked the latter. Zero One I'd probably put somewhere around there too. I've only been watching sentai since Gokaiger, though, and everything I've seen pre-that were all things I mostly had an interest in before. Rider I've seen a lot more and it's really hard to say anything is so bad it's as unwatchable as the stuff already mentioned. Faiz is generally regarded as good, but it extremely falls off in the last 20 episodes, and the criticisms of how the story is handled in the first half is completely understandable. I didn't care too much for Ryuki, and Kabuto I disliked a lot while watching it, but nowadays I feel like maybe I was just in a poor mood at the time because looking back all I remember are pretty much the things I liked. Fourze I feel like I have a lot of complaints about, but on the other hand it's kind of a feel-good series with an amazing protagonist that is easy to recommend.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Larryb posted:

I will extend a mild defense of Lupinranger v Patranger being really only bad if you're wanting an actual story arc out of it. It's definitely entertaining per-episode, but unlike ToQger it doesn't make being episodic actually work for its narrative so every important plot beat stalls out for 5-10 episodes at a time. Watch it with no expectations if you're genuinely curious about it.

Kyuranger is also on the lower end of the scale simply by being a show about thirteen different main characters and immediately shelving six of them to background cheering after they're introduced.

Potsticker posted:

I feel like Wizard is at least as watchable as Zi-O, though I felt Zi-O as a whole is probably the stronger show.

Wizard did so much absolutely nothing in its plot that its villains made literally negative progress in their stated plans, until the tail end of the show asspulled it as "This was my goal all along." gently caress Wizard. Beast deserves a better show.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 3, 2021

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Shaezerus posted:

Wizard did so much absolutely nothing in its plot that its villains made literally negative progress in their stated plans, until the tail end of the show asspulled it as "This was my goal all along." gently caress Wizard. Beast deserves a better show.

Wizard's biggest crime is one of wasted potential, and I feel like people justifiably get really mad at that. (It's really bullshit) But that energy definitely comes also from how easy that potential is to see. Beast is a great example. He's fantastic! Haruto and Rinko are great too, though less so as things go on and they really do nothing with either character. I feel like there's a lot to be enjoyed, so it's hard to say it's outright bad because while you will get mad at it, there's still value in the good parts.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I guess you could call it wasted potential, but it doesn't just underutilize things, it barely uses them at all. Haruto can be a fun character, but he's probably written that way in less than 10 episodes. The secondary cast barely does anything for the whole show, even just in terms of being entertaining and bouncing off each other. Koyomi is meant to be the important partner character that tragically dies at the end, but she only goes outside for non-plot purposes maybe literally once? Beast is actually kind of consistently fun, but even he's misused by the show playing him and Haruto as rivals for a bit even though there's no reason whatsoever for the latter to care about who gets monster kills.

It's not agonizingly bad or anything, but aside from the genuinely cool fight choreography it's largely just bland to the point that there's not much reason to go out of your way to see it. It's early 2010s Rider formula without anything going on inside that template.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Wizard killed the "all two-parters all the time" style that Double/OOOs/Fourze had gotten started, which I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I definitely feel like Wizard gets a lot of undeserved poo poo in this thread. Wasted potential is a good way to describe its issues, but as far as I see it, the biggest issue is that the plot is centered around Koyomi, who just isn't around enough to justify her plot importance.

It's a fun show to watch with great suits, music, and fantastic fight choreography. Beast and Rinko are great, and I liked Haruto. Shunpei was annoying for a while, but I remember him becoming at least tolerable after a little while. It was a solid show, definitely not one of the greats, but not at all in the same conversation as Ghost or Saber.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 3, 2021

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I for one loving loved Kyuranger and I will defend most of it (I do like Lucky but I can understand why people don't like him and won't begrudge anyone who does hate him)

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

decade and den-O did them too, no? Even Faiz's monsters were given two episodes a piece as I recall.

Fourze definitely felt like it was the first to really do them bad, though. Fourteen episodes to introduce the main cast because they had to join one at a time and there were seven of them. Week to week it super dragged on. Between that, the middle where the vague villain plots were nonsensical and the stumbling ending where they realized they hadn't actually written any real plot, Fourze easily could've made the bad list if it didn't have an amazing suit design, belt sounds, a superb cast and good fight choreography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Potsticker posted:

decade and den-O did them too, no? Even Faiz's monsters were given two episodes a piece as I recall.

Fourze definitely felt like it was the first to really do them bad, though. Fourteen episodes to introduce the main cast because they had to join one at a time and there were seven of them. Week to week it super dragged on. Between that, the middle where the vague villain plots were nonsensical and the stumbling ending where they realized they hadn't actually written any real plot, Fourze easily could've made the bad list if it didn't have an amazing suit design, belt sounds, a superb cast and good fight choreography.

I really can't begrudge Fourze barely having a story. I considered it a flaw back when I watched it, but in retrospect, it's not really that big of a deal. It's exceptional at what it does, and that's all that really matters. If watching Kamen Rider '71 taught me anything, it's that these shows don't actually need an overarching plot.