Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

porfiria posted:

Is I Heard You Paint Houses the only good movie or TV show Netflix has produced?

The Night Comes for Us is hilariously brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

porfiria posted:

Is I Heard You Paint Houses the only good movie or TV show Netflix has produced?

I liked Roma, Buster Scruggs and the two Baumbach films, I'm Thinking Of Ending Things had some merit, past that I think it's mostly the ubiquity of the platform that people even talk about what they put out

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

porfiria posted:

That and I Don’t Feel At Home in This World Anymore, yeah.

Edit: Beasts of No Nation was pretty good too

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Beasts of No Nation and I Think You Should Leave rule. Rilakkuma and Kaoru is probably the most visually beautiful work of stop motion animation I’ve ever seen.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The Night Comes for Us is one of my favorite action movies of the last decade but I agree that Netflix’s batting average is pretty low

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Remember when Paramount realized The Cloverfield Paradox was going to be a stinker and sold it to Netflix instead of releasing it in theaters

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Skwirl posted:

No.

Like 2 thirds of their Marvel poo poo, first couple seasons House of Cards, The Witcher, that show where Drew Barrymore is a zombie, Kim's Convience.

Two thirds is being very generous.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Remember when Paramount realized The Cloverfield Paradox was going to be a stinker and sold it to Netflix instead of releasing it in theaters

That was really cool, as was the way it dropped.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That was really cool, as was the way it dropped.

It worked. I was duped into watching that turd.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Cloverfield Lane or whatever was great though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
10 Cloverfield Lane banged.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
10 Cloverfield Lane owned until the last 10 minutes turned into a God of War boss fight.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

The Night Comes for Us is one of my favorite action movies of the last decade but I agree that Netflix’s batting average is pretty low

That was just a movie they picked up after TWC got Harvey Weinsteined and had to back out.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Anonymous Robot posted:

Rilakkuma and Kaoru is probably the most visually beautiful work of stop motion animation I’ve ever seen.

Rilakkuma is fuckin' fantastic.

Lost in Space is really good Prometheus fanfic up until they leave the water planet (you can basically shut it off at that point), and I'm the only person in the world to rep ANON.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Speaking of Netflix producing content vs just picking it up, is Netflix producing the Knives out sequels or did they only secure distribution rights? Will some suit at Netflix have some level of control in how these movies actually get made? I guess I'm worried that Netflix is going to gently caress this up, or maybe give myself the reassurance that if they end up terrible I can blame Netflix for ruining them.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Was that even supposed to be a Cloverfield movie or did they just slap some paint on it to make it one when they realized it was mediocre crap no one would care about?

And I'm sure this is not a controversial opinion but 10 Cloverfield Lane would have been such a better movie if they just shaved off the last five-ten minutes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Speaking of Netflix producing content vs just picking it up, is Netflix producing the Knives out sequels or did they only secure distribution rights? Will some suit at Netflix have some level of control in how these movies actually get made? I guess I'm worried that Netflix is going to gently caress this up, or maybe give myself the reassurance that if they end up terrible I can blame Netflix for ruining them.

They paid $400 million and the movies haven't been shot yet, so I assume some of that money will go towards the production.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

CPL593H posted:

Was that even supposed to be a Cloverfield movie or did they just slap some paint on it to make it one when they realized it was mediocre crap no one would care about?

And I'm sure this is not a controversial opinion but 10 Cloverfield Lane would have been such a better movie if they just shaved off the last five-ten minutes.

They absolutely added on a bunch of cloverfield stuff in reshoots. It’s painfully obvious when watching it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
im curious about what they cut of cloverfield paradox. there seems to be a decent concept buried in there somewhere

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

MacheteZombie posted:

im curious about what they cut of cloverfield paradox. there seems to be a decent concept buried in there somewhere

It turns out the entire movie was imagined by a child whose on the spectrum staring into a snowglobe.*

*WHY THE gently caress DID A HIT TV SHOW THINK THAT A GOOD IDEA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

MacheteZombie posted:

It was never going to be good, but the original movie was simply about these astronauts who contact ghostly aliens. The aliens turn out to be copies of themselves from another universe where their space station suffered a catastrophic disaster. The ‘disaster’ universe overlaps with the ‘normal’ universe and causes all the weird phenomena like water appearing out of nowhere (the ‘disaster’ space station crashed into the ocean).

When they decided the film would be part of the Cloverfield franchise, they changed the plot to be about evil monsters invading from billions of alternate universes. Consequently, the film no longer really made any sense.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

porfiria posted:

No. The Queen's Gambit is excellent. I'm sure there's lots of other stuff too but that one's fresh on my mind.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

porfiria posted:

Glow was good.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Most of the TV shows from back when Netflix first started doing Originals are good, honestly. Or at least started good but later seasons sucked.

I remember when the problem was that Netflix would never cancel anything.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
New one from the guy who made Onion Time. It's incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbFb2t6v7oQ

edit: And if ya don't know what I'm talking about, here's Onion Time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Din-iB9MiY&t=1s

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Maxwell Lord posted:

Glow was good.

Glow was awesome.

Spatulater bro! posted:

No. The Queen's Gambit is excellent. I'm sure there's lots of other stuff too but that one's fresh on my mind.

And Queen’s Gambit.

Did they do Kimmy Schmitt? The first series of that was great.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The first season of Kimmy was made for NBC and then sold to Netflix haha

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

therattle posted:

Glow was awesome.

And Queen’s Gambit.

Did they do Kimmy Schmitt? The first series of that was great.

Oh yeah, Kimmy Schmitt was great for at least the first season.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/zuza_real/status/1378112340483317761?s=20

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
There's a weird thing where a streaming service'll claim something as a Netflix or Prime or whatever original if they have the distribution licence for it in a particular market. They can call any ol' poo poo an "original"

Like for example in Australia "the Expanse" is an Amazon Prime original series and has the Amazon logo at the start and everything, despite it being made by Syfy and Syfy even being a purchasable cable channel here

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 3, 2021

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The Peccadillo posted:

There's a weird thing where a streaming service'll claim something as a Netflix or Prime or whatever original if they have the distribution licence for it in a particular market. They can call any ol' poo poo an "original"

Like for example in Australia "the Expanse" is an Amazon Prime original series and has the Amazon logo at the start and everything, despite it being made by Syfy and Syfy even being a purchasable cable channel here

this is actually because syfy cancelled The Expanse after the third season and amazon picked it up for 4, 5, and the final upcoming season 6.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Oh. Well there's other examples like the star trek cartoon being made by CBC and being played as a Prime show

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I just watched part one of World on a Wire. Amazing experience, watching those themes being explored for what I guess is the first time in cinema history.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The Peccadillo posted:

Netflix US does this a lot. I'd say about half their "originals" are just things that aired on cable/network in other countries.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Remember when a Netflix original was an event?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I mean, Queens Gambit was less than a year ago and that was big, as was Bridgerton.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Netflix UK calls Better Call Saul an original so every episode after the title sequence you get a few seconds of silence with a no-effort “A Netflix Original Series” screen and it’s very annoying

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

No.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

If that movie had been awesome instead of sucking, it would've been a tectonic shift in the way movies are distributed. Instead we had to wait for Coronavirus to murder movie theaters for that to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah I was gonna say lol. Stranger things dropped quietly and I watched it and was blown away. Any time I was hyped for a Netflix show or movie it was kinda disappointing