Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I bought Chick a cute little bird bath that hangs on the side of the cage that she can access from inside, but she still insists on bathing in the water bowl full of vitamins lol, I keep catching her going all fluffball mode ready to bathe and I can't for the life of me make her realize the bird bath is heaps better than a little water bowl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Qubee posted:

I bought Chick a cute little bird bath that hangs on the side of the cage that she can access from inside, but she still insists on bathing in the water bowl full of vitamins lol, I keep catching her going all fluffball mode ready to bathe and I can't for the life of me make her realize the bird bath is heaps better than a little water bowl.

this is peak budgie behavior

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Qubee posted:

Have you tried getting one of those hamster ball-valve glass bottles that hang on the cage? At least this way they’ll always have a clean source lol.

https://twitter.com/featherasalight/status/1377092988052983810?s=21

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Thanks for cross-posting, Strix!!! I feel weird doing mod-like things in other people's turf now, so I didn't want to come barrelling in here to announce it but hoped it would be noticed!

Drak I am sorry, my buttons have once again been retired :( and nun I am glad you like the picture, I was delighted to find it for you!

GotLag your not-corvid buddies are as always precious :kimchi:

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 31, 2021

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

RoboRodent posted:

I've always assumed this is a young bird with a strong feeding reflex.

This is what I reckon it is too. Baby bird gobble gobble reflex usually looks like a less dramatic version of that, often with the wings stuck out to the sides too. It's very amusing with larger birds. Sometimes young-ish adult birds do it when fed mushy baby-like food like soups and mashes.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Here's one of our frequent visitors last year, looking ragged from the rain.
https://i.imgur.com/9qaP4Zm.mp4

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I am currently absorbed in this book, which I am finding endlessly fascinating. I was going to quote some choice passages but I just find myself wanting to include the whole thing.

By way of a substitute, I will instead link a radio interview that a helpful soul has uploaded on Youtube:
Part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm9lsgMru-A
Part 2 (the first 67 seconds overlap the end of part 1, should start playing at 1:07):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMpzGi5ddeo&t=67s

Qubee
May 31, 2013

mediaphage posted:

Have you tried getting one of those hamster ball-valve glass bottles that hang on the cage?

No way! This could work? I didn't realise budgies could get used to using those, it would make life so much easier. I'd still change the water out every day but it means I'd have to be less anal about cleanup cause of errant poos in the bowl.

PS: I don't think anything beats the feeling of coming into the room, letting the budgies out, and having them immediately fly to me for cuddles and naps. The cheeky fuckers make me swoon. I wish I could take videos of some of their antics, but it's hard to record one-handed, and they're also insanely curious about my phone and will climb all over it and peck it when I'm using it. I also don't think the feeling of relief I get whenever I see them willingly fly into their cage to chill out / eat will ever grow old.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I know what you mean, nothing gives me the warm fuzzies like magpies recognising me and immediately running/flying over to climb up on my legs for a feed.

Sure, in my case they're in it for the food, but that display of trust and familiarity is a delight.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Qubee posted:

No way! This could work? I didn't realise budgies could get used to using those, it would make life so much easier. I'd still change the water out every day but it means I'd have to be less anal about cleanup cause of errant poos in the bowl.

PS: I don't think anything beats the feeling of coming into the room, letting the budgies out, and having them immediately fly to me for cuddles and naps. The cheeky fuckers make me swoon. I wish I could take videos of some of their antics, but it's hard to record one-handed, and they're also insanely curious about my phone and will climb all over it and peck it when I'm using it. I also don't think the feeling of relief I get whenever I see them willingly fly into their cage to chill out / eat will ever grow old.

so i mean: i don’t have budgies but i have to figure they’re like most parrots. our guys have a bowl when they’re out of the cage that gets refreshed and cleaned once or twice a day and a bottle for when they’re in the cage. birds are curious and they might not immediately figure it but probably will over the course of a few days. if they don’t you can try tapping the metal ball while they’re watching you.

of course you may still want to have water bowls some of the day especially while they get used to the idea, but you could reserve them exclusively for use outside of the cage, maybe (which will also cut down on poop soup). you should use a clear glass bottle and wash it every 2-3 weeks but you don’t necessarily need to change out the water in it daily. if you scrub it out you may wish to have a brush that is only used for that purpose but tbh i find good hot soapy water works well enough most of the time.

also they’re hilariously adorable to watch them use.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Aww, I wish my budgies were closer with me. Tolerance is about the best I think I’ll get with them. Whoever was Banane’s breeder, though, they make a good, happy cuddly budgie.

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

My budgies enjoy a little water bottle. I wonder if it’s like a straw to them? :) Mine seem to most prefer drinking from the bottle and bathing in the dish, when all options are available to them- all of which is to say that yes, they can drink from the little hamster bottles!

A little cross post from the CCCC lady thread:

my oldest bird is about to lay more eggs and I’m nervous. she’s not going to hatch them, but I’m scared it will impact her health :( giving her lots of calcium and love.

meanwhile, here is baby (almost 1 year old) scamp watching me send emails!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Hug in a Can posted:

My budgies enjoy a little water bottle. I wonder if it’s like a straw to them? :) Mine seem to most prefer drinking from the bottle and bathing in the dish, when all options are available to them- all of which is to say that yes, they can drink from the little hamster bottles!

my oldest bird is about to lay more eggs and I’m nervous. she’s not going to hatch them, but I’m scared it will impact her health :( giving her lots of calcium and love.

oh man what a cutie

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Scamp's colors are just amazing.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I found my stuffed birb beacause my husband wont have me have a birb so i pet this guy on the head

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Mm, not loving this new game of "take all the paper towels in the bottom of the cage and then wad them up."

I think it's Ozzy that's doing it. He seems to want that corner bare. Probably so he can continue to threaten to lay an egg there.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Hug in a Can posted:

Scamp is a little precious and needs to be cuddled at every chance.
Australian magpies are so so different from euro ones, and have the most beautiful voices. Please feed and make friends with them at every chance, Euro magpies are very beautiful but also very very wary because they have been seen as unlucky for a very long time, so they really do not like people. Its a horrible pity because european magpies are wonderful, chatty, intelligent birds who are just really cautious because people are dicks, and have been for a supremely long time.

fake edit: I've said it before, but budgies are waaay tougher mentally, than cockatiels. Do not expect your large cockatiel to stand up to your small budgie. Budgies do not submit to anyone. Budgies fight with everyone. Our budgies attempted to dominate our african grey, who could have chomped them in half without even thinking about it. Please protect your lovely dopey feisty budgies from the consequences of picking fights with very VERY much larger birds,.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Australian magpies have always been generally well-regarded (except for the ones that swoop people while chicks are in the nest) and are credited with creating the sunrise in some aboriginal myths, due to their frequent but also quite pleasant carolling. They also have the fortunate traits of being territorial ground foragers as well as being social, intelligent and insatiably curious, which means they are willing and able to form long-term relationships with the people in their territory.

Today I bought some vitamin- and mineral-fortified bird pellets, and much to my relief the magpies happily crunched them instead of rejecting them like they have all previous attempts at introducing healthier food.
I'll try the hated insectivore powder again next breeding season, and mix it with mince as according to the book Australian Magpie, parents preferentially feed mince to their chicks.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Serra, you sure do have a lot of Birb Cleavage right now.

Hmmm...let's look at your weight charts.

December to end of February she went from 140g to 115g!!! GOOD JOB!!!

Let's see where she's at over the course of March.

:stare:

You've gotta be kidding me.

Serra's diet, at the behest of the vet, is a specific seed and pellet blend with a treat allowance of two Cheerios. Pops is on board and absolutely not secret feeding her. I monitor everything in and out, by weight to the .001g, no exaggeration. I bought a scale that can do that.

She gets 10g a day and has since her journey started. I measure food by weight in the morning, then measure what's left at night. She gets two feedings a day, then has her bowl taken at 6:00pm. Her normal intake is about 5-6g. Light a switch got flipped, her intake in March suddenly went up to over 8g a day.

Hopefully I'll have the vet on the phone next week so we can come up with a strategy. Maybe she does have a thyroid problem? I don't want her to go on medication at three and a half years old. But I'd rather her be medicated and healthy than ridiculously fat. But the vet was adamant that I wasn't to do any dietary changes until she lost weight and kept it off. But if I know 5-6g eaten a day makes her healthy, I can feed her precisely that. I'll get vet approval first, though.

I'm just baffled at her ability to seeming become obese through sheer will.

Stop looking so cute, you incredible dingus. :derptiel:

Captain Log fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Apr 3, 2021

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Looking that pretty requires many calories, I'm sure. Lovely people of the bird thread, any ideas on how to deter my budgies from chilling on top of this bad boy:

I'm starting to really not like them being up there, as they'll poop all over the place and it falls down onto my bedsheets and makes a horrid mess that isn't easy to clean. I much prefer having them sit on the pullup bars as I can just mop the floor easily and wipe my desk down. The simplest solution of moving my bed isn't possible as it doesn't fit anywhere else. They've also started peeling away the plaster and chucking it about the room, which 1) isn't healthy and 2) leaves me finding bits of crumbly plaster everywhere. I was thinking of putting a stuffed toy up there to give them the big spookies, but then the thought of them being anxious in the room with the toy staring at them turned me off the idea.

They've had a good few months living as royalty up on their throne, but it's about time the jig is up and they come back down to earth and live with us peasants.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

The toy idea is fine. It won't traumatize them just by being there, but do expect that they'll become habituated to it in a few months, as mine did with the scary vases on top of my cupboards.

I also put long skinny boxes on my medicine cabinet because I hate the idea of the birds pooping anywhere near a toothbrush, ick. But that does mean I occasionally hear the sounds of boxes tumbling and Mayo flapping because it's always Mayo.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Plant MONSTER. posted:

The toy idea is fine. It won't traumatize them just by being there, but do expect that they'll become habituated to it in a few months, as mine did with the scary vases on top of my cupboards.

I also put long skinny boxes on my medicine cabinet because I hate the idea of the birds pooping anywhere near a toothbrush, ick. But that does mean I occasionally hear the sounds of boxes tumbling and Mayo flapping because it's always Mayo.

the boxes are especially a good idea. i don’t think there’s any vents on top of the split unit probably? you might be able to find or construct a box that just takes up all the room. they may occasionally try to perch from the sides but it would probably cut down on incidents.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

might not even need a box, just a piece of cardboard taped up there at a steep angle

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I put one of those multicoloured rope perches up there because they're convinced it's the world's most lethargic snake. They've avoided the top of the AC all day, as soon as they go to land on it, they'll veer off course and make their warning noises lol

I love that I can eventually swap it out for an empty vase and cardboard boxes. Just random household objects to keep them on their toes.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
Wait for the store to stock the foam pool noodles and then cut to fit like a bumper?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I'm writing essays these days, and the birds are not always big fans of me having to sit at the computer all day, but apparently this is a big hit.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Yeah that channel is great for birds. Definitely birds.

No, I'm not keeping it on in the background all day from now on.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Captain Log posted:

Serra, you sure do have a lot of Birb Cleavage right now.

Hmmm...let's look at your weight charts.

December to end of February she went from 140g to 115g!!! GOOD JOB!!!

Let's see where she's at over the course of March.

:stare:

You've gotta be kidding me.

Serra's diet, at the behest of the vet, is a specific seed and pellet blend with a treat allowance of two Cheerios. Pops is on board and absolutely not secret feeding her. I monitor everything in and out, by weight to the .001g, no exaggeration. I bought a scale that can do that.

She gets 10g a day and has since her journey started. I measure food by weight in the morning, then measure what's left at night. She gets two feedings a day, then has her bowl taken at 6:00pm. Her normal intake is about 5-6g. Light a switch got flipped, her intake in March suddenly went up to over 8g a day.

Hopefully I'll have the vet on the phone next week so we can come up with a strategy. Maybe she does have a thyroid problem? I don't want her to go on medication at three and a half years old. But I'd rather her be medicated and healthy than ridiculously fat. But the vet was adamant that I wasn't to do any dietary changes until she lost weight and kept it off. But if I know 5-6g eaten a day makes her healthy, I can feed her precisely that. I'll get vet approval first, though.

I'm just baffled at her ability to seeming become obese through sheer will.

Stop looking so cute, you incredible dingus. :derptiel:

It sounds like there's hormonal involvement (springtime = time to get real fat and lay eggs), I wonder if her getting the birdy birth control implant would help this as well as any latent egg-laying desires. Obviously if just limiting her food does the trick that is the better option.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Youth Decay posted:

It sounds like there's hormonal involvement (springtime = time to get real fat and lay eggs), I wonder if her getting the birdy birth control implant would help this as well as any latent egg-laying desires. Obviously if just limiting her food does the trick that is the better option.

I'll keep everyone updated. It's amazing how she can catch on to the seasons, because out condo doesn't have a lot of windows that catch proper sun. It's also Portland, so...rain.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Captain Log posted:

I'll keep everyone updated. It's amazing how she can catch on to the seasons, because out condo doesn't have a lot of windows that catch proper sun. It's also Portland, so...rain.

Desert birds like cockatiels get very horny and eggy when it rains. More rain will just make her decide it's time to get fatter and have more babies.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

RoboRodent posted:

I'm writing essays these days, and the birds are not always big fans of me having to sit at the computer all day, but apparently this is a big hit.

the cockatoo in that room is glorious

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/thegallowboob/status/1378462917469831174

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

ugh UGH

i was just brushing my teeth when i heard a noise from the office / bird room. i opened the door and it was quiet so i went back to the bathroom where i heard more noises. i open the door again and i just hear frantic flapping so i turn on the light and find alex buzzing under the desk, flying into a wall and then the door because he was scared and it was dark and he couldn’t see how to get home. i finally got him to calm down just enough to let me grab him.

somehow somebody left the bottom right door (on the side) open. i don’t know how long he was in there flying in the dark and trying to get back to his house. probably a few hours because he’s pretty much a statue after it gets real dark so he was probably exploring when it was still dim enough to see.

edit: bird is fine, we were just both very stressed about it

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Apr 5, 2021

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I was recommended MD pellets for feeding magpies, and the store had two sizes: 350 g for $17, or 2 kg for $35

I bought the larger pack and the gamble paid off! The magpies love them and now I don't feel guilty about feeding them unhealthy food!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

GotLag posted:

I was recommended MD pellets for feeding magpies, and the store had two sizes: 350 g for $17, or 2 kg for $35

I bought the larger pack and the gamble paid off! The magpies love them and now I don't feel guilty about feeding them unhealthy food!

:kimchi:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Of course the magpies would prefer I kept feeding them cheese

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Do I have two lazy teens or is it normal for budgies to sleep a lot? Bedtime routine is cage slightly covered at 7:30pm, half covered at 8:30pm, and then I fully cover them when they settle down and aren't eating / messing about (usually 9pm). Sunset vibes to let them know it's probably best to get ready for sleep. I wake and uncover them at 9am sharp. The past few days I've been leaving a corner of the cage covered, so they can sleep if they want. And boy will they sleep, I go back to sleep and I'm not woken up by Wasabi's morning piercing song, they'll both just be resting / sleeping til I completely uncover the cage at around 11:30am.

Just wanted to check that this is alright and I'm not giving them a weird sleep state where because they're sat in shade, they think it's nighttime. The rest of the cage is brightly lit and they're fine otherwise, full of energy right now eating seeds out of the little forage bowl and both chirping and flying around outside. I guess I want to ask if I should totally uncover the cage in the mornings, or let them sleep as long as they want. It was just a tad weird because they seem to sleep as long as I have the corner shaded. But then again, they've always been sleepy bois. Always a burst of energy for an hour or so then a few hours preening / resting / snoozing.

That sucks, but I bet he doesn't even remember it anymore, silly bird.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yeah i know, it was just stressful for all of us. poor guy couldn’t see anything.

anyway birds have high metabolisms and will sleep a lot ime. you could also just pull the cover off entirely when you first wake up and see how they cope with that.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

With the cover pulled completely off, they are a lot more active and noisy. It's like given the chance to sleep more, they'll choose it if they have a nice shadowy place, but if the cage is completely uncovered they'll prefer being active little monsters as sleeping isn't as easy. I'm interested to see how they are around bedtime tonight, whether they'll still be full of energy or tuckered out like usual. They were running rampant for the past hour, flying about, lots of cuddles and bonding time with me, now they're on the pullup bar preening and will most likely nap when done lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I've heard two separate Avian certified vets say parrots, on average, rest/sleep fifteen minutes per hour. I wouldn't worry too much.