Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

Out of curiosity, what was the old crafting system like?

Three things:

Artifact weapons. These were kinda crazy weapons assembled and upgraded from boss loot that got progressively better. They were OP at times, making most of the other weapons redundant. A lot of fun though.

Glyphs. These are still in the game, basically glyphs are a drop from bosses that let you enchant your favourite weapons with some extra bonuses. This is still there.

Recipes. A bunch have been simplified, which is just fine imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I normally play this game on Hardcore and the drop rate there is okay.

Recently I started a normal game with a friend and the drop rate for some of the stuff in this game is a complete nightmare. Things you'd normally find while playing the game requires intense grinding. Which doesn't fit co-op very well.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

... Expert? hardcore is the "when you die it's game over" setting, I thought it didn't affect anything else.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It doesn't. I think even expert does not affect drop rates for anything except the stuff that drops only in expert.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Nah, all enemies in expert have increased chances for dropping loot, generally 1.5x or 2x more likely.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Zereth posted:

... Expert? hardcore is the "when you die it's game over" setting, I thought it didn't affect anything else.

I meant expert haha.

Expert has double drop rate on almost every single item in the game compared to classic.

This is especially noticeable when you want to build something like Ank Charm etc

On expert you can easily get Money Trough in a single blood moon or at worst 2. In classic you can do 7 in a row and never find one.

Katt fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 26, 2021

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Iirc expert doubles the drop rate of pretty much everything.

Edit: very beaten lol

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

GodFish posted:

Iirc expert doubles the drop rate of pretty much everything.

Especially my death rate :)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Alright, clearly I missed something there, then. Was that always the case? I don't remember ever hearing about this back when Expert mode was introduced.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Cardiovorax posted:

Alright, clearly I missed something there, then. Was that always the case? I don't remember ever hearing about this back when Expert mode was introduced.

As far as I know it's always been like that. Expert has borderline tolerable drop rate and cutting it in half can be infuriating.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I don't remember it ever being announced but the wiki listed separate expert droprates for years.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Huh, no idea how I managed to miss that for so long.

BTW, just to get back to that, since nobody answered when I asked the first time around:

Cardiovorax posted:

Could someone in the know tell me what the best backport mods of 1.4 features currently are? I feel like playing some Terraria and I don't want to make any major changes to my current setup - I managed to dig up a 64-bit version of tModLoader a while ago that supports playing All The Mods at once and I'm scared that messing around with it too much will make things stop working.
I'd really appreciate some help there.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The only backport I've seen is the one that automatically opens/closes doors.

Its pretty great actually.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Huh, no idea how I managed to miss that for so long.

BTW, just to get back to that, since nobody answered when I asked the first time around:

I'd really appreciate some help there.

There's a blockswap mod, but from what I saw of Chippy's playthrough of the Mod of Redemption, it might not play well with other mods.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I thought that when I put off my next Terraria playthrough til mods came out I'd be waiting a couple months maybe. I get it's all fan work, but oy it seems like a long time for mods for a game that is encouraging modding.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Once tmod loader is updated to 1.4 I'm probably just going to use Veinminer.

God I love Veinminer.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Memento posted:

Once tmod loader is updated to 1.4 I'm probably just going to use Veinminer.

God I love Veinminer.

For anyone who uses Veinminer in Terraria, at least once in your playthroughs add stone to the whitelist and veinmine it. The results are astounding and unforgettable.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Ambaire posted:

For anyone who uses Veinminer in Terraria, at least once in your playthroughs add stone to the whitelist and veinmine it. The results are astounding and unforgettable.

I did that and it was amazing.

I had a terraria playthrough where due to the lack of Vein miner I just gave myself the rocket launcher and thousands of mininuke 2's and used that to tunnel through the world.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Katt posted:

I did that and it was amazing.

I had a terraria playthrough where due to the lack of Vein miner I just gave myself the rocket launcher and thousands of mininuke 2's and used that to tunnel through the world.
I have done this at least once myself, in the days before Veinminer. Such a wonderful mod. Should've been a base function of the game.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Ambaire posted:

last time I played I accidentally added ice and I just never took it off it was great

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Terraria is getting Steam Workshop support. You folks who use mods can comment on this, as I don't use mods for Terraria.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

tModLoader already has an internal mod manager and its own database and servers, so I don't think that'll really catch on.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Terraria has a few peculiar side content stuff.

Like fishing. To get everything from fishing you need to do something like 150 daily fishing quests. Even if you just want the cellphone you can expect something like 100.

Likewise I'd like to see stats on how many players make use of the golfer or golf related items. I feel like a dev who just has really strong feelings on golf decided to put it in there and no one questioned it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mayveena posted:

Terraria is getting Steam Workshop support. You folks who use mods can comment on this, as I don't use mods for Terraria.

It looks like it's only for worlds, or cosmetic/music/language replaces. If you want to actually change how things work instead of how they look/sound, you still need tmodloader.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Katt posted:

Terraria has a few peculiar side content stuff.

Like fishing. To get everything from fishing you need to do something like 150 daily fishing quests. Even if you just want the cellphone you can expect something like 100.

Likewise I'd like to see stats on how many players make use of the golfer or golf related items. I feel like a dev who just has really strong feelings on golf decided to put it in there and no one questioned it.

It was probably Red, the reason the game has fishing (required if you want the top-tier accessory) and yo-yos (obscenely powerful melee weapons) is that Red is really loving into fishing and yo-yos. Being into golf would just complete the boring white guy trifecta.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

fishing and yo-yos are cool

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Also golfing is lame but the golfing in the game is fine

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Hey folks. I was thinking about jumping back into this. Did an aborted 1.3 run on PS4 some time ago. But I’ve looked, and I can’t see any info online about when the 1.4 update is supposed to release? Have they said anything I’m missing? Really loving the look of some of the QoL changes.

FWIW: upping droprates on expert is fuckin’ stupid. Rewarding people for playing on higher difficulties with less grind is like punishing people for playing on lower ones. I really don’t understand the thought process behind that at all.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

BurningBeard posted:

FWIW: upping droprates on expert is fuckin’ stupid. Rewarding people for playing on higher difficulties with less grind is like punishing people for playing on lower ones. I really don’t understand the thought process behind that at all.

You can pry my Master mode drop rates and exclusive loot from my cold, dead hands.

Also, there's nothing stopping you from taking your normal mode character into an expert or master mode world, farming stuff, then returning to your safe haven.

e. Risk, Reward.

SirSamVimes posted:

fishing and yo-yos are cool

Ditto. I have the Supreme Grand Helper Minion achieve, but am missing ~17 other achieves that I didn't care as much to work towards. Fishing crates are really fun, and there's so much good loot available from them. The jungle crate is one of the things I prioritize farming early game just for the Boomstick and other drops.

BurningBeard posted:

Hey folks. I was thinking about jumping back into this. Did an aborted 1.3 run on PS4 some time ago. But I’ve looked, and I can’t see any info online about when the 1.4 update is supposed to release? Have they said anything I’m missing? Really loving the look of some of the QoL changes.

Which update? 1.4 released about a year ago. 1.4.2 released a couple days ago. Both are out.

Modded? They're working on it.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
PS4. Isn’t out on console yet.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It was supposed to come on 18th of March last I heard. That obviously didn't happen, so there's not much known yet as far as I'm aware.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Also golfing is lame but the golfing in the game is fine

irl golf sucks rear end but video game golf rules

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

irl golf sucks rear end but video game golf rules

:emptyquote:

e: Also I keep golf arrow signs on me while caving to point to neat features or the path to my underground village.

Dareon fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 31, 2021

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Katt posted:

Golf's inclusion in Terraria isn't just a wired quirk, in my opinion, it answers a specific design question with lazer precision. Building pretty things with legos is one of the game's significant gameplay opportunities, but how do you open up more payoffs for the aesthetically-minded player than just posting a picture of their work and maybe getting a few upvotes on reddit? Art for art's sake is a wonderful thing, certainly, but the Golfer gives you a concise and accessable mechanism to entice many other players into your world, where you can expect them to devote their attention to a jaunt through the many pretty sights that you've arranged for them.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

BurningBeard posted:

Things that are luxuries in normal are necessities in Expert, so they make them easier to get.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

SirSamVimes posted:

Things that are luxuries in normal are necessities in Expert, so they make them easier to get.

On the other hand it applies to overwhelmingly normal enemy drops and if you can kill 100 expert cave bats then you can probably kill 200 expert cave bats.

But killing 200 doesn't exactly enhance the experience so I say add the same drop rate to both.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I don't have strong feelings either way, but the reduced grind mod fixes any problems one might have with drop rates.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
FYI: A new major update of Terraria just dropped, focused on modding capabilities. Not sure if has been mentioned yet. It would for sure open up a lot of possibilities for novel gameplay style ideas like the below.

Eikre posted:

Golf's inclusion in Terraria isn't just a wired quirk, in my opinion, it answers a specific design question with lazer precision. Building pretty things with legos is one of the game's significant gameplay opportunities, but how do you open up more payoffs for the aesthetically-minded player than just posting a picture of their work and maybe getting a few upvotes on reddit? Art for art's sake is a wonderful thing, certainly, but the Golfer gives you a concise and accessable mechanism to entice many other players into your world, where you can expect them to devote their attention to a jaunt through the many pretty sights that you've arranged for them.

I never knew what to think of why golf's in the game but I think you just nailed it; it makes player world creations interactive in a new way.

There's another way to make creations more interactive that someone in the Minecraft thread just brought up. They're doing an in-game Easter Egg hunt with their kids. I just set up an Easter Egg hunt in Terraria for our group for tomorrow too.

Rules are:
We all start together on a fresh map with infinite Echo blocks (invisible when placed; these are the eggs) and other equipment.
Each person is assigned one region of the map.
They go to that region and hide 10 of their echo blocks.
Each echo block must have a clue pointing towards it, but the clue could be anything in the game; just something that's unusually out of place on a fresh map.
Finally, everyone gathers in one region at a time and hunts for all the hidden eggs in that region while the person who hid them watches on.

Should feel like a pretty new experience; a twist on the exploration mechanics of an old game!

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

What's a tip for finding that enchanted sword in the stone? I was told to look for basically a chimney to the surface but haven't found one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I think it doesn't generate in every world, you might have to generate a new one. It'll always be under grassland, but it might be as deeply hidden as four or five blocks before you actually see the gap.