Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I'm in for Marvin, Speedy, Daffy, Bugs, and Taz.

I used Taz pillow cases my Aunt made for me for my birthday one until I went to college. Maybe through college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
How is speedy's tail attached?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That road runner doesn't work on such a level that just looking at it makes me laugh.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The Bloop posted:

How is speedy's tail attached?

Im guessing a piece that goes between the legs and torso.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wish that just once one of these licensed CMF lines was something I was interested in.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I have a Hispanic friend who is VERY passionate defender of Speedy Gonzalez. Because he's usually the hero of his cartoons and doesn't lean heavily into ugly stereotypes (just cliche ones), I was told he has a free pass to keep existing. I think that because he's the most popular Mexican character in popular media, he's generally forgiven for being occasionally clunky.

Exactly. It was another thing white people were complaining about but then hispanics came out to say they love him.

Road Runner is weird, could have used some custom skinny legs or something.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

I finished the Hubble tonight. It is a really solid build and I’m looking forward to starting the shuttle tomorrow.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Are pick-a-brick walls open in the US again? I'm driving to another city to get my covid shot (:woop:) and they have a lego store, and I was thinking of swinging by...

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

I like most of those figs but that road runner is haunting

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Why doesn’t Bugs have a duck season sign?

That's the big question. Such a horrible thing to omit. :(

Now I have a hankering to watch those old cartoons. Are they available anywhere in watchable quality?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I just moved my Saturn 5 into the new detolf and noticed it has yellowed like crazy :negative:

To be fair it's not noticeable unless you stand close but the different shades of yellow really trigger my OCD reflex because it's not uniform white anymore.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Hopper posted:

I just moved my Saturn 5 into the new detolf and noticed it has yellowed like crazy :negative:

To be fair it's not noticeable unless you stand close but the different shades of yellow really trigger my OCD reflex because it's not uniform white anymore.

Good news, they re-released it so you can buy another one!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Does it get any sunlight on it? Because mine is still perfectly white.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

deoju posted:

Are pick-a-brick walls open in the US again? I'm driving to another city to get my covid shot (:woop:) and they have a lego store, and I was thinking of swinging by...

They’ve been “open” the whole time. You tell the worker what you want and they load it for you. Not as fun as trying to stuff every bit you can in, but does the job if needed.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Thanks, good to know.

I'm also curious about yellowing. How much sunlight is enough to cause discoloration? Is it only direct light? Or is being by a window enough? Would placing tint on the window be enough?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Direct sunlight will yellow white bricks in a few years. Reflected light probably has some effect but it will take ten years to notice it.

There are films you can put on windows that block nearly all UV but that feels like overkill to me.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

deoju posted:

Thanks, good to know.

I'm also curious about yellowing. How much sunlight is enough to cause discoloration? Is it only direct light? Or is being by a window enough? Would placing tint on the window be enough?

It's the UV part of the sunlight spectrum that does most of the damage. That needs to be blocked or absorbed. I'm not sure how much is left in indirect sunlight. Placing a tint will depend on how much it filters in the UV spectrum.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

deoju posted:

Thanks, good to know.

Basically all plastics will yellow at some point, even locked in a box they can still pick up some yellowing. But...

OperaMouse posted:

It's the UV part of the sunlight spectrum that does most of the damage. That needs to be blocked or absorbed. I'm not sure how much is left in indirect sunlight. Placing a tint will depend on how much it filters in the UV spectrum.

OperaMouse is correct. UV light is the root cause and will greatly speeds up the yellowing. You can slow it down best by applying some filter on your windows.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Thanks for the info. :) :

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

True story I bought the UCS X-Wing from a friend with some degree of light yellowing right around the time I got back into Lego and thought "off white" was an actual color Lego produced and once made a remark itt that I wish they made more sets in that color :lol:

Even that one is barely noticeable but luckily the rest of my collection has been kept in a dungeon so it all looks pretty pristine.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Can you retrobrite lego?
Is it only white that has issues?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

oxyclean and a little hydrogen peroxide:

https://lego.jtooker.com/whitening/

Not sure if it happens to all colors, I can't tell any difference. Perhaps the pigments are not UV sensitive.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Hopper posted:

I also had to move mine and I could swear it was whiter before. It has never been exposed to sunlight. I'll compare with the shuttle once it arrives. White tiles should all look the same between modern sets, right?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Mine isn't exposed to direct sunlight, the whites match white bricks from newer sets near it. They aren't pure white, but I don't know if they ever were.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Cojawfee posted:

Mine isn't exposed to direct sunlight, the whites match white bricks from newer sets near it. They aren't pure white, but I don't know if they ever were.
LEGO's white is a little on the warm side to begin with.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Could be that the first run of saturn v white plastic has yellowing issues

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't see why, this has been a quirk of white lego bricks for 40 years. Maybe longer but I don't have anything older than that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Am I just imagining things or were people talking about a large scale delorean? I could have sworn Lego was making one but looking around online it seems like the thread might have just been discussing a MOC or something.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Carbohydrates posted:

Unless there are more classic Batman sets coming, it would probably be wise to purchase one of these before everyone else has the same idea and demand suddenly skyrockets
Quoting myself to say: just after I posted this, I bought myself one for $13, and the current cheapest one in the USA is $28 (though there are a couple in Canada for $17). Looks like there's a lot of hype for the new classic Batmobile!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Idg why they didn't include that figure with the new set. Seems like a glaring omission.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My guess is they're saving it in case it turns into a series and they need something unique to get the collector crowd into a tizzy.

Trashman
Sep 11, 2000

You trash eating stink bag!
Fun Shoe

The article shares links for other stores also but it isn’t showing up for me at least. Anyone see this available yet?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

xzzy posted:

My guess is they're saving it in case it turns into a series and they need something unique to get the collector crowd into a tizzy.
I don't think so. With the super nostalgia-bait stuff like this, they usually just do one set every once in a while. I'd imagine the minifig choice was simply because 3 minifigs was too much for the price point, and LEGO prefers to have conflict - at least a hero and a villain - in superhero sets. I could be wrong, of course.

Design stream tonight in 40 mins (7 CST) - starting a new idea, this time in minifig scale!

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Carbohydrates posted:

Quoting myself to say: just after I posted this, I bought myself one for $13, and the current cheapest one in the USA is $28 (though there are a couple in Canada for $17). Looks like there's a lot of hype for the new classic Batmobile!

Got myself one at the $13 price point. Good thinking, thanks!

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Is the bookshop a good buy for my first modular set? It suddenly showed up at my local store and looks mighty tempting.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Spookydonut posted:

Can you retrobrite lego?
Is it only white that has issues?

Retrobright

TFwiki has a decent article on Yellowing

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

nemesis_hub posted:

Is the bookshop a good buy for my first modular set? It suddenly showed up at my local store and looks mighty tempting.

It was my first and I thought it ruled. Very nice. I’ve got a thing for birches though. Some cool interior details too!

I’ve since bought the corner garage, assembly square and blew 100 bucks over retail on the diner. Slippery slope beware.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

nemesis_hub posted:

I have the modulars going back to Assembly Square, and I think it might be the weakest of that bunch.... but it's still pretty good. Pretty much any modular is going to be cool/fun if you haven't built one yet. If you can get a hold of it for retail price, I'd totally recommend Downtown Diner.

Zwille posted:

It was my first and I thought it ruled. Very nice. I’ve got a thing for birches though. Some cool interior details too!

I’ve since bought the corner garage, assembly square and blew 100 bucks over retail on the diner. Slippery slope beware.
I havent bought any over MSRP,, but I indeed did exactly what I feared upon getting one modular, and that was get the rest that I could. Slippery slope indeed.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I sorta justified that with getting €100 off the Assembly Square through VIP points ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I haven’t seen the Diner for anything below 200 yet and other out of print sets are already around 500 ish bucks so seeing as the Diner was one I really wanted I just bit the bullet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
:c00l:
https://twitter.com/legodoumoko/status/1378325706946400257