Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

uber_stoat posted:

was Puppet-masters the one where everyone becomes nudists to demonstrate they don't have an alien parasite on them? or did I hallucinate that.
it was and you did not

at first it was "had to walk around shirtless" because the parasites typically attached themselves at the shoulders/neck area

but then they found out that they could be anywhere so yes, nudism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
And the mandatory asscheek spreaders?? The transparent skin???? The universally required X-ray goggles?????!!!!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

freebooter posted:

The ship "dies" literally mid-sentence in a first-person POV, I don't know how much more its death could be on-screen! Its final monologue in which it talks about how it finally found and fulfilled its purpose ("Meaning is the hard problem") and how proud it is of having safely borne its humans home, right before being destroyed by the sun, is easily the most emotionally moving passage KSR has ever written.
I think the POV fact was completely overshadowed in my mind because it was just the icing on an already poo poo cake. I just remember the death getting one or two paragraphs while the other main character got multiple pages and an entire epilogue about swimming in an ocean. In the final pages I remember waiting for that external acknowledgement, legacy, or at least recognition of the sacrifice and it never came. I remember that final message more than anything else - how incidental it felt - and if that was a deliberate thing KSR did, a message about being forgotten and thankless tasks ending in ignominy because everyone hates those who came back anyway, well, gently caress him for that too. I won't ever read anything by KSR again because I'm sad enough already, thanks!

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 2, 2021

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It was probably mentioned but incase not, audible is having a sale on series starting at $5 for the first and often $6 for the second and $7 for the third. It's for mrembers but that includes free trials. Later books/longer series are more expensive and less consistently on sale, but all 3 nightvale books or all three broken earth books for $18 is pretty solid.

Mars trilogy is on it. Black company. culture.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Harold Fjord posted:

It was probably mentioned but incase not, audible is having a sale on series starting at $5 for the first and often $6 for the second and $7 for the third. It's for mrembers but that includes free trials. Later books/longer series are more expensive and less consistently on sale, but all 3 nightvale books or all three broken earth books for $18 is pretty solid.

Mars trilogy is on it. Black company. culture.

revelation space too. thanks for the heads up.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I got Lord of the Rings from the sale, it’s been a joy to listen to

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Baroque Cycle: Quicksilver, The Confusion, and The System of the World by Neal Stephenson - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KVIBWPI/

Earthseed: The Complete Series (Parable of the Sower, Parable of the Talents) by Octavia E Butler - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072NZBPFG/

Childhood's End by Arthur C Clarke - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XG6MG3Y/

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I put together a quick thread on NK Jemisin because discussion of her was falling into threads of other authors.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I finished The Two of Swords Volume 3. Wow, for a K.J. Parker series that was positively lighthearted. Mass death occurred, sure, but a couple of the characters aren’t completely miserable!

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Ccs posted:

I finished The Two of Swords Volume 3. Wow, for a K.J. Parker series that was positively lighthearted. Mass death occurred, sure, but a couple of the characters aren’t completely miserable!

there's even a happy ending

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Doctor Jeep posted:

there's even a happy ending
Considering they one-upped not just Thanos in death but also Pol Pot in creating a Year Zero. And hitler in a leibestraum creation, repopulated by literal slaves.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Lilith's Brood: The Complete Xenogenesis Trilogy (Dawn, Adulthood Rites, Imago) by Octavia E Butler - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008HALOMI/

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

pradmer posted:

The Night Watch Collection (Night Watch, Day Watch, and Twilight Watch) by Sergei Lukyanenko - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00I2PH5QC/

I read the Night Watch books after watching the first movie, and I enjoyed them more than the movie - which I enjoyed a lot. Worth noting that this is the first Night Watch collection, though; there is a second trilogy containing Last Watch, New Watch and Sixth Watch. Lukyanenko is also reportedly writing a seventh volume titled The Eternal Watch.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Remulak posted:

Considering they one-upped not just Thanos in death but also Pol Pot in creating a Year Zero. And hitler in a leibestraum creation, repopulated by literal slaves.

I forgot to add "for a kj parker novel" at the end, of course

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Jedit posted:

I read the Night Watch books after watching the first movie, and I enjoyed them more than the movie - which I enjoyed a lot. Worth noting that this is the first Night Watch collection, though; there is a second trilogy containing Last Watch, New Watch and Sixth Watch. Lukyanenko is also reportedly writing a seventh volume titled The Eternal Watch.

whoever like this "forces of dark and light battle in the mundane world" type of thing should check out carnivale (tv show)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Doctor Jeep posted:

whoever like this "forces of dark and light battle in the mundane world" type of thing should check out carnivale (tv show)

Hope u like blue balls tho

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

For a cancelled show Carnivale still got a pretty good ending imo

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Yeah I think it ends okay. Though I like the slow burn of it to be honest. Just go in with the expectation that things will take a *while* to happen and soak up the atmosphere.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I just started RJ. Barkers Age of Assassins cause it was recommended around online and it was on sale for $3. Man, this is a come down after reading a bunch of KJ Parker (hey these authors names even rhyme). The prose is competent enough and the protagonist is a bit witty but it feels like I’ve fallen straight back into run of the mill fantasy. When I used to go to Barnes and Nobles the majority of the fantasy book covers were men in cloaks. It’s been about 6-7 years since I’ve lived in a place with a B&N so maybe that’s changed, but the cover of this book is... a man in a cloak. And from the first two chapters that seems fitting somehow.

Oh well, it might still make for a fun story, we’ll see.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Ccs posted:

I just started RJ. Barkers Age of Assassins cause it was recommended around online and it was on sale for $3. Man, this is a come down after reading a bunch of KJ Parker (hey these authors names even rhyme). The prose is competent enough and the protagonist is a bit witty but it feels like I’ve fallen straight back into run of the mill fantasy. When I used to go to Barnes and Nobles the majority of the fantasy book covers were men in cloaks. It’s been about 6-7 years since I’ve lived in a place with a B&N so maybe that’s changed, but the cover of this book is... a man in a cloak. And from the first two chapters that seems fitting somehow.

Oh well, it might still make for a fun story, we’ll see.

I haven't read that series but have read the 2 books so far in barker's the bone ships series and they're exactly as you say - run of the mill fantasy
not cringy (and it's sad that this is a quality in the genre LOL) but nothing special

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

multijoe posted:

For a cancelled show Carnivale still got a pretty good ending imo

It's a good ending in hindsight. If you were watching it at the time, the ending was OH poo poo THIS IS ABOUT TO GET GOOD followed by a cancellation announcement.

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

Ccs posted:

Assassins

there's yer problem

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Curse of Chalion is so good. It was good even while I was waiting for the plot to really get going. Still not done with it, but drat.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Happiness Commando posted:

Curse of Chalion is so good. It was good even while I was waiting for the plot to really get going. Still not done with it, but drat.

Yea I started it yesterday morning and it's really sucked me in.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Is Robin Hobb’s much lauded trilogy about an assassin any better? Or distinct from run of the mill fantasy? I see a lot of praise for her work, to the point that some will say she’s the best author in the genre, but I haven’t read any since they rarely go on sale.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Ccs posted:

Is Robin Hobb’s much lauded trilogy about an assassin any better? Or distinct from run of the mill fantasy? I see a lot of praise for her work, to the point that some will say she’s the best author in the genre, but I haven’t read any since they rarely go on sale.

It's more like 3 trilogies with one or two more trilogies in the same world and time span that focus on different characters. They're pretty ok, and while i wouldn't call them special they hit some points I haven't encountered often enough, but I think part of that is it's nature as multiple trilogies rather than a single series, people age and change and die between them which is pretty refreshing.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

Happiness Commando posted:

It really was, and I'm currently about halfway through the second book and I think I might like it even more? Just a pleasant surprise.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Ccs posted:

I found the first trilogy to be very good, the rest of her work set in that world mediocre and the soldier's son trilogy extremely bad.

Unrelated, I'm reading the A Summong of Demons by Cate Glass, the third book in the Chimera series. I like the series a lot, they're all very enjoyable heist stories with lots of things going on.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

OmniBeer posted:

It really was, and I'm currently about halfway through the second book and I think I might like it even more? Just a pleasant surprise.

Paladin of Souls is in fact better than Curse. The series really is Bujold at her very best.

Then you get The Hallowed Hunt, which is really good but very different. Then, to date, nine Penric novellas, which are all excellent. So much good reading awaits.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

mllaneza posted:

Then, to date, nine Penric novellas, which are all excellent. So much good reading awaits.

..oh, hell, didn't know those existed. Fantastic!

I get like 80% of my good recommendations from this thread, and this series has been the best one of late.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Ccs posted:

They are fine if you enjoy misery. The first trilogy ends...badly. it is almost like there should have been another book but she ended it with a super condensed version as an epilogue. The whole thing with his abuser and Molly made me give up on them.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Collateral posted:

They are fine if you enjoy misery. The first trilogy ends...badly. it is almost like there should have been another book but she ended it with a super condensed version as an epilogue. The whole thing with his abuser and Molly made me give up on them.

Can you elaborate on the spoiler in more spoilers? I haven't read the trilogy but I've thought about it for years.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

I liked the original Assassins Trilogy by Hobb for the most part, but that last trilogy she wrote was so bad it ruined the entire series for me, so my suggestion would be if you do enjoy the books, skip the latest and final trilogy.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Since we're on Bujold-chat, to what extent could Chalion, Paladin of Souls, and Penric be described with words like "comfy" and "romantic" ? I had to bail out of Vorkosigan after struggling with Shards of Honor and then having folks tell me, "yeah, the series gets much better but you never get away from the persistent romance component," so I've been gunshy about her fantasy work.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Kestral posted:

Since we're on Bujold-chat, to what extent could Chalion, Paladin of Souls, and Penric be described with words like "comfy" and "romantic" ? I had to bail out of Vorkosigan after struggling with Shards of Honor and then having folks tell me, "yeah, the series gets much better but you never get away from the persistent romance component," so I've been gunshy about her fantasy work.

It's been a bit since I listened through the Chalion books, but as far as I recall, "comfy" is a decent word. They have a distinctly optimistic tone and their protagonists are generally nice, sensible people who are genuinely trying to make the world a better place, and usually succeeding. There is romance to be had but in my opinion it's written fairly refreshingly. It's not really a core theme but it's usually present on some level.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Kestral posted:

I’d say sometimes characters can feel like they’re in danger and thinks can get a little dark, but it never indulges awfulness for its own sake and the characters and their relationships can certainly be cosy. Nothing like the first two Vorkosigan books.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I'm just about halfway through The Curse and I thought for sure it was going to end up as some Shakespearean tragedy but it's turning out to be something entirely different and it makes for a very pleasant and engaging listen. To be fair though with 7 hours left there's plenty of time for everyone to die in a murder suicide pact.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Ccs posted:

I liked it immensely when I first read it but a reread lowered the high marks, Fitz is a poo poo magnet. The Tawny Man trilogy is better IMO, but you need to read the Assassin trilogy first to know wtf is going on. The third Fitz trilogy didn't do anything for me, neither did the Rain Wilds series and the Soldier Son trilogy. Liveship Traders is good, I remember enjoying that.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Lilith Saintcrow's urban fantasy demon-hunting series Jill Kismet is on sale for 2$ for the whole thing: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0089EHI4U/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

Can you elaborate on the spoiler in more spoilers? I haven't read the trilogy but I've thought about it for years.

His girlfriend/love of his life (Molly) marries his surrogate father (Burrich) who raised him to revile his own wild magic, which the surrogate father also has but hates in himself as well.