Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Speaking of Raya, apparently Pixar employees are feeling lovely after the last 3 Pixar movies got put on D+ without extra fees of any kind or even a theater release date. Meanwhile, Disney treats Mulan (Disney, Raya (WDAS), and Black Widow (Marvel Studios) as premium movies with $30 extra fees.

https://screenrant.com/luca-soul-pixar-employee-disney-plus-release-reaction/amp/

They feel like their movies aren't worth extra money or aren't worth theatre time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUGEjAMqlkg

I personally don't like the $30 fees, but I get feeling lovely because you wonder if your worth is worth a "premium" tag. If this is true, it makes me sad. Hell, even if it's not true, I still feel for them because it's clear Disney is prioritizing their own poo poo over Pixar...especially Black Widow.

I'm a Marvel movie fan but Black Widow doesn't deserve a $30 extra fee. ScarJo just isn't worth the extra fee and in my opinion can't really carry a movie like that on her own...did no one see Lucy or Ghost in the Shell? I mean...come on. This is why they got David Harbour and the other people they focus on more to push the movie harder.

BW's movie should've been WAY back in Phase 1 with the other male characters. Not to mention I know a LOT of fans who just don't care about BW...so why force a $30 charge, Disney?

This isn't comic book movie thread so I won't go into it further, but yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I understand being disappointed it's not in theaters, but disappointed there's no upcharge? Silly! If they had it in their guts they'd be projecting "soul" on a bedsheet in their backyard, for the people, like porky pig or the little rascals. Tickets, 5 cents, cracker jacks, fifty dollars. You make the money back!

Plus Theater's not good in a backyard but a movie is. They have the clear advantage.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I get that they're upset about the lack of a theatrical release, but it's a little crazy to hear artists saying it should be harder for people to access their works.

About the theatrical thing, it was downright irresponsible for Disney to have released Raya -- or any other film -- in theaters amid this loving pandemic. There's probably a body count attributable to each theatrical release in the past year. Bemoaning that their dumbass cartoon film won't get to kill people is some broken-brain poo poo.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Do the artists get a cut of that 30 dollar upcharge? Because if they don't then why should they care? The only thing that 30 extra dollars did was give slightly more money to a multi-billion corporation and ensure more people saw the free movies.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's especially silly in light of how two Pixar movies are on the docket for Best Animated this year and barring a surprise upset by Wolfwalkers, one of those two (probably Soul) will win. They'll get their recognition!

But if the situation is something like their bonuses are paid out based on how well the movies perform then yeah that's lovely as hell.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Srice posted:

But if the situation is something like their bonuses are paid out based on how well the movies perform then yeah that's lovely as hell.

It reads like a compensation issue for sure, and they're right to call it out.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I mean it's hard to really debate this without any direct quotes, because it's an extremely nuanced thing, but I do potentially get it. You put all this work into a movie hoping to eventually see it pay off, but then the studio decides to release it in a way where there may not be any quantifiable way to determine whether it was a success. And then at the same time, the same company (sort of) releases other movies targeted at a similar audience in a way where there will be a quantifiable measure of success.

Of course, there's a downside to that too, which is yet to be seen. I personally think it will end up hurting those movies. But that's only a guess, and I'm not personally invested in these projects. So I get why someone wouldn't feel the same way.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The Animation Guild blog has posted anything since 2018 but I do remember Disney employees got a bonus because of the success of Frozen, so I think there is a bonus structure for well performing theatrical films. However it's deluded to think that any movie is going to perform well enough theatrically during the pandemic to garner bonuses.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfw99xI9U1k

This Lackidaisy development is dope! It feels new and exciting that cinematic webcomics are transforming into cinema.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

FunkyAl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfw99xI9U1k

This Lackidaisy development is dope! It feels new and exciting that cinematic webcomics are transforming into cinema.

Holy poo poo yeah

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Sir Lemming posted:

I mean it's hard to really debate this without any direct quotes, because it's an extremely nuanced thing, but I do potentially get it. You put all this work into a movie hoping to eventually see it pay off, but then the studio decides to release it in a way where there may not be any quantifiable way to determine whether it was a success. And then at the same time, the same company (sort of) releases other movies targeted at a similar audience in a way where there will be a quantifiable measure of success.

Of course, there's a downside to that too, which is yet to be seen. I personally think it will end up hurting those movies. But that's only a guess, and I'm not personally invested in these projects. So I get why someone wouldn't feel the same way.

This sounds like it to me. Box office revenue is a (fairly stupid, unless you're funding movies) way to rank and talk about movies, but it's at least a proxy for how many people saw your movie. When it's streaming only, you never get numbers.

Actually, does Disney release numbers for $30 releases? I would've guessed they make some vague statements and unlabelled graphs and keep the actual info under wraps.

Staying mad at the suits sounds like a great way to hate your studio job.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Lackadaisy cats' style really does translate well into animation - though I admit, I'm still always floored when I see Rocky's colors because I always saw him as a ginger cat but his official coloration is gray.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Always felt there was a lot of Cats Don’t Dance energy in Lackadaisy

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Some neat stuff here:

https://twitter.com/chrizmillr/status/1377278244555161600?s=20

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Wow, that trailer really just gives away the whole movie.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

While I love the way that movie looks I'm gonna wait to just watch the movie on Netflix and not watch the trailers. I'm very glad they went back to the original title, props to whatever Netflix exec was like "Connected? What kind of poo poo generic title is that?" and reverted it.

Also I'm taking another animation class and the instructor has some fun/terrifying stories about Dreamworks and they way they would always fire their first director for the movie once the execs saw their fill of the first cut and decided to start meddling, because they had grown bored with the original idea. At one point apparently the animation director was serving as the director of an entire movie because the execs had fired the original director and not lined up the next one.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 1, 2021

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Ccs posted:

While I love the way that movie looks I'm gonna wait to just watch the movie on Netflix and not watch the trailers.

This is me for every movie. Highly recommended!

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Galaxy brain: watching new releases on my neighbour's projector through the kitchen window.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

anatomi posted:

Galaxy brain: watching new releases on my neighbour's projector through the bathroom window while showering.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
Hiding under the jetblue seat between flights so i can watch free cable tv for another three hours

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Is that just the entire movie?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Dunno if the ship has sailed but I caught Raya in probably the last showing in Korea and was reeally disappointed; IMO the worst Disney movie in a very long time.
Just utterly uninspired with derivative (and too many) characters, rushed pacing, very mixed messaging, and it failed to land any surprises. Even the world building felt like a bit of a let down; it felt like it was aping avatar conceptually but there wasn’t room for depth in any of the places they see, and pushing The Sacred Asian Greeting in every scene felt extremely jarring next to the 100% modernized American speech and gesticulations the leads had. I’m also so utterly done with amorphous black and glowing purply mist monsters, although at least in that case it being kind of generic makes sense since it isn’t the real focus..

The water animation was gorgeous, and the environments were great, although I hope things are going to start moving away from photo realism at all costs; I feel like we’re starting to push against a wall there.

At the end of the day it was still totally watchable, but I’d basically loved every Disney movie since they switched to 3D so this felt like a huge dip.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzD-3O0jZHk

I really wish the Loony Tunes stayed 2D :(

Bugs is really the only one that looks good in 3D in this trailer. What on earth was that footage of Granny? Did they get an intern to do that scene? This trailer is a bummer.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cool they're going full Ready Player One/Lego Movie/Gamemaster Anthony.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

If you thought people were melting down about lola bunny before that trailer you ain't seen nothing yet

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

r u ready to WALK posted:

If you thought people were melting down about lola bunny before that trailer you ain't seen nothing yet

I haven’t had a chance to watch it yet, did they change her personality at all?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Larryb posted:

I haven’t had a chance to watch it yet, did they change her personality at all?

nope, some idiots confused horny fanart for OG Lola and were screaming cancel culture.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Her CG rendition looks pretty bad but so do all the other characters. Her hand drawn one looks great. It's a really good mix of the original design and her more modern look. It's such a shame that it looks like so little time is gonna be spent in the hand drawn part of the movie.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Robindaybird posted:

nope, some idiots confused horny fanart for OG Lola and were screaming cancel culture.

Oh I know about that, I was just curious if they gave her more of a personality in this movie.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oh weird, it’s almost like making a sequel to a bad movie that millennials only liked due to a combination of irony, nostalgia, and the film itself being near The Room levels of an incoherent mess was a bad idea from its inception.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So Pepe is a no go, but we can have the Droogs from Clockwork Orange? I mean, I guess.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

They updated spacejam.com what the gently caress, that was a museum piece and a priceless cultural artifact.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

NieR Occomata posted:

Oh weird, it’s almost like making a sequel to a bad movie that millennials only liked due to a combination of irony, nostalgia, and the film itself being near The Room levels of an incoherent mess was a bad idea from its inception.

Also the soundtrack

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

pokeyman posted:

They updated spacejam.com what the gently caress, that was a museum piece and a priceless cultural artifact.

I was JUST going to check that before I scrolled down and saw your post. God drat, I hope they saved it somewhere. All-caps HTML tags and all (I assume)

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://web.archive.org/web/20201224102547/https://www.spacejam.com/

The pages off the main page have sidebar frames with a blinking GIF to indicate the current site section

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 3, 2021

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Fat_Cow posted:

So Pepe is a no go, but we can have the Droogs from Clockwork Orange? I mean, I guess.

Funny thing is that someone made a great comment about keeping him in the movie, but reformed and ashamed of his past behavior and working on improving himself.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Data Graham posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMBylNJQEbg

It is both hilarious and depressing that this movie is going to get "sucked into the computer" better than Tron Legacy though

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, after Ready Player One, I'm pretty cooled on the gimmick of just seeing crossover characters chilling in the background (or tossing in a line or two). It's like... who cares?
It's like walking into a Hot Topic, just corporate pandering to geeks without really caring about the source media the characters came from. It looks like the basketball team is just going to be the Looney Tunes characters vs. generic OC trolls, so it's not like they'll play a major role in the story.

Especially seeing The Iron Giant prominently in the trailer when we specifically also saw him in Ready Player One.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
It was also very clearly being put together at a time when Game of Thrones was a whole lot more beloved than it is now.