Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Happyloony posted:

Anyone know of any movies similar to Beyond the Black Rainbow and Mandy?

You may find Possessor (2020) to be to your taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
An oddly specific request here. I'm looking for movies that deal with people revisiting places from their childhood as adults, typically to uncover a secret or to confront some trauma. The best example of what I'm thinking of is probably IT, where we see the places in the past and again in the present. Mystery, thriller, or horror movies, preferably.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Origami Dali posted:

An oddly specific request here. I'm looking for movies that deal with people revisiting places from their childhood as adults, typically to uncover a secret or to confront some trauma. The best example of what I'm thinking of is probably IT, where we see the places in the past and again in the present. Mystery, thriller, or horror movies, preferably.

Young Adult's none of those genres, but it does rule.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Any good documentaries about how the government got the food pyramid wrong?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Origami Dali posted:

A bit of a curveball, but Grosse Point Blank.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Origami Dali posted:

Lone Star by John Sayles is a strong partial fit and an absolute wonder of a film. The main character never left town here, but it’s still very much about revisiting the past to sort out the present. It centers on a murder mystery, but there’s a ton more to it than that. Cannot recommend highly enough.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
I’m looking for a movie that’s focused on social class and class conflict, preferably from the UK or Western Europe and relatively modern. The more challenging the better.

Any suggestions?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Sri.Theo posted:

I’m looking for a movie that’s focused on social class and class conflict, preferably from the UK or Western Europe and relatively modern. The more challenging the better.

Any suggestions?
Peterloo

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Sri.Theo posted:

Any suggestions?

Sorry To Bother You
The Platform

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

Sri.Theo posted:

Any suggestions?

Probably not what you have in mind, but The Platform meets your criteria and is very good. It’s also on Netflix.

Edit: ^^^ I am evidently incapable of reading.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 17, 2021

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Sri.Theo posted:

Any suggestions?

I'm not sure it quite fits, but you might consider Farming (2018) about a west African boy adopted into a white working class family in 1960s London, who gets brutally dehumanised into joining a white supremacist gang of skinheads. It is based on the writer/director's personal experience and very, very raw.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Sri.Theo posted:

Any suggestions?
Anything by Ken Loach should fit the bill.

I rather liked Paddy Considine's Tyrannosaur. It's subtle as a brick — but it also hits like one, mainly thanks to the loving tour de force of acting by Colman, Mullan and Marsan.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Thanks guys that’s really helpful!

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Sri.Theo posted:

Any suggestions?

Depending on what you mean by "relatively modern" The Wall.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

VinylonUnderground posted:

I just rewatched this, last time I'd seen it was over a decade ago. It's so good.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sri.Theo posted:

Any suggestions?

Not from Europe but Parasite.

Also Snowpiercer.

Made In Dagenham is a decent film about women striking at Ford in the 60s.

And yeah, Lone Star is excellent.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

therattle posted:

Not from Europe but Parasite.

Same but Shoplifters

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

VinylonUnderground posted:

I’m guessing you don’t mean the 2017 war movie or the earlier pink floyd biopic?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Fictional punk movies made in the past 15 years. I've seen Green Room and loved it.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Fictional punk movies made in the past 15 years. I've seen Green Room and loved it.
Vi är bäst! (2014).

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Finished the first season of The Terror and now I'm looking for something in a similar vein. Not necessarily the supernatural part, but the expedition and the survival elements. I'm thinking naval themed, or space maybe.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I haven't watched a lot of good movies since a couple years back when I had several cinephile roommates, but I'm looking to scratch that itch again. Can anyone recommend any good recent Body Horror flicks (or at least post-1990)? Videodrome is my favorite movie of all time, and I want more of that energy in my life.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Possessor

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Blue Labrador posted:

I haven't watched a lot of good movies since a couple years back when I had several cinephile roommates, but I'm looking to scratch that itch again. Can anyone recommend any good recent Body Horror flicks (or at least post-1990)? Videodrome is my favorite movie of all time, and I want more of that energy in my life.

Tetsuo 2. Tokyo Fist

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Blue Labrador posted:

I'm assuming you've seen other David Cronenberg highlights like eXistenZ and The Fly.

Did you ever catch Slither?

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I am pretty familiar with Cronenberg's big ones, but I haven't seen Slither. I'll check that out, along with Tetsuo 2 and Possessor, thanks!

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Blue Labrador posted:

I am pretty familiar with Cronenberg's big ones, but I haven't seen Slither. I'll check that out, along with Tetsuo 2 and Possessor, thanks!

To be clear, Slither is more of a horror comedy like Re-Animator - definitely not Cronenberg in tone. (I just want to make sure that was still your cup of tea.)

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Blue Labrador posted:

Possessor is directed by Cronenberg’s kid, as is Antiviral, which will almost certainly hit your spot too

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

Have there been any good zombie movies made in the past few years?
The last one I watched was Train to Busan and if anyone could give me some recommendations I would prefer traditional zombies rather than rage zombies also English language if possible. :zombie:

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
The only good one is One Cut of the Dead but it's Japanese. I hear Blood Quantum is good too.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I've never seen (or read) Peter Pan. What's better, the Disney cartoon or Hook? Or another option?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

regulargonzalez posted:

I've never seen (or read) Peter Pan. What's better, the Disney cartoon or Hook? Or another option?

I have yet to see an adaptation of Peter Pan I enjoy. Hook is very, very unlikely to work for you if you never saw it as a kid. It's one of those films like Goonies where adults tend to really bounce off of it if they don't have nostalgia for it. Maybe I need to give the Disney cartoon another try, but I really didn't like it as a judgmental teenager. The 2003 movie had some interesting stuff going on but I remember that being a bit of a mess, too.

Anyone catch Wendy from last year?

Tea Bone
Feb 18, 2011

I'm going for gasps.
Can anyone recommend me anything similar to Calibre? Not necessarily horror (although it's not a problem if it is horror) but has a tense uncomfortable vibe all the way through?

And on a lighter note, anything similar to the first 3 Pirates of the Caribbean style adventure films, ultimately well-made popcorn flicks?

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Tea Bone posted:

And on a lighter note, anything similar to the first 3 Pirates of the Caribbean style adventure films, ultimately well-made popcorn flicks?

Have you seen Robert Zemeckis film Romancing the Stone, with Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner?

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

Tea Bone posted:

I just watched Love and Monsters from last year which is more directly a hero's journey but otherwise might scratch that itch. Cheesy but not too cheesy, soy but not too soy, some nice setpieces, some good action, subverts some tropes, looks nice, and is pretty thoroughly engaging.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Finished the first season of The Terror and now I'm looking for something in a similar vein. Not necessarily the supernatural part, but the expedition and the survival elements. I'm thinking naval themed, or space maybe.

It's naval combat, but maybe you'd like Master and Commander.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I watched Hereditary and Midsommar in the past couple months, and like them both. Any recent-ish horror/suspense movies that feel the same? I also like VVitch, Green Room, and Mandy. Btw that Cronenberg son-movie doesn't look good to me, not sure about that.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Maybe give It Follows a go

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Already seen it. Very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

busalover posted:

I watched Hereditary and Midsommar in the past couple months, and like them both. Any recent-ish horror/suspense movies that feel the same? I also like VVitch, Green Room, and Mandy. Btw that Cronenberg son-movie doesn't look good to me, not sure about that.

Possessor is great tho. Other good recent-ish poo poo is The Blackcoat's Daughter, the Suspiria remake, Knife+Heart, The Lighthouse