Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I've noticed that one of the claws on one back foot seems to be kinda sideways. I'm assuming that's fine and his toe's just twisting a bit when he sits which doesn't seem to be a huge problem...should I be on the lookout for anything? Last time I took him to the vet I mentioned it and she said it didn't seem out of the ordinary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Thumbtacks posted:

I've noticed that one of the claws on one back foot seems to be kinda sideways. I'm assuming that's fine and his toe's just twisting a bit when he sits which doesn't seem to be a huge problem...should I be on the lookout for anything? Last time I took him to the vet I mentioned it and she said it didn't seem out of the ordinary.

It’s 100% normal and common for rabbits. Just make sure it isn’t ever injured or broken or caught on poo poo, and try to be proactive about eliminating any possible sources of such.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
We did have an issue where he lost a dewclaw a few months ago but his nail bed was fine and we had him checked out and it’s already growing back which is good. I’m scheduling trimmings more frequently than I was before, too. I’m not sure what happened to cause that, either, since there isn’t much for him to catch anything on. I’m assuming he took a corner too fast and got caught somewhere unlikely like the carpet or his litter box or something in his cage

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Thumbtacks posted:

We did have an issue where he lost a dewclaw a few months ago but his nail bed was fine and we had him checked out and it’s already growing back which is good. I’m scheduling trimmings more frequently than I was before, too. I’m not sure what happened to cause that, either, since there isn’t much for him to catch anything on. I’m assuming he took a corner too fast and got caught somewhere unlikely like the carpet or his litter box or something in his cage

you don’t trim your own rabbit’s nails?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
if he wasn't absolutely insane when we try to hold him down at all, we would. believe me i've tried for two years, the second he sees a blanket or can tell what's happening he's going to fight to the death over it and forcing it only makes it worse. his file at the vet has...extensive notes, from what i've heard. apparently they need two or three vet techs to do anything to him. he had an operation a year or two ago and immediately tried to jump off the table the second he regained the slightest consciousness

he doesn't like people doing things to him, is my point

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Thumbtacks posted:

if he wasn't absolutely insane when we try to hold him down at all, we would. believe me i've tried for two years, the second he sees a blanket or can tell what's happening he's going to fight to the death over it and forcing it only makes it worse. his file at the vet has...extensive notes, from what i've heard. apparently they need two or three vet techs to do anything to him. he had an operation a year or two ago and immediately tried to jump off the table the second he regained the slightest consciousness

he doesn't like people doing things to him, is my point

I thought the normal way to do claws was to flip them so that helpless reflex kicks in?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Most people who own rabbits as housepets consider that to be extremely cruel

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

RichterIX posted:

Most people who own rabbits as housepets consider that to be extremely cruel

Huh, thats the advice I've gotten from the vets who come in specifically for the rabbits, and that they actually seem to enjoy it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Trancing is generally believed to be extremely stressful for rabbits.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

Huh, thats the advice I've gotten from the vets who come in specifically for the rabbits, and that they actually seem to enjoy it.

It's a debated topic but general consensus is it's very stressful for the animal and you should avoid it whenever possible. I've gotten used to do claws and butt baths without it now, my rabbit is pretty compliant in that regard though.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Glad the my planned adoptee is chill af and I don't think it will be tempting.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
to be fair, there are valid reasons to trance a rabbit, rarely, and there are individual rabbits that for a variety of reasons simply need trancing available as an option for restraining, rarely.

And better restraint methods like burritoing and tucking still include risks to the rabbit and person. I’ve seen rabbits rip out nails and I’ve heard of them breaking limbs and digits trying to get out of restraints, damaging their eyes, tearing tear ducts, biting themselves or the person, falling on their backs/hips/faces, etc

That doesn’t really excuse trancing frequently or as a first/second/third resort

Also- keep in mind that all rabbits hate trancing, but not all rabbits react the same way to it.

Plenty of rabbits snap out of it in a split second and usually become (rightly) angry and aggressive and plenty more don’t even take the pause and just go straight to snarling and attacking as soon as they go onto their backs.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Related, but different: I've been lead to believe all rabbits dislike being picked up, the only real question is to what degree the dislike it. last night I was reading a guide in lionheads that said they do actually enjoy it.

Related to that, I just wanted to share the bunny who is staying with me right now, Bananabunny 🥰

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

Related, but different: I've been lead to believe all rabbits dislike being picked up, the only real question is to what degree the dislike it. last night I was reading a guide in lionheads that said they do actually enjoy it.

I think it’s honestly an individual rabbit and trust-related thing. Some rabbits are better at it than others but you can always work on it

Rabbits do generally like to be up high if they can survey their surroundings. And supporting their feet and legs/butt (and thus allowing them to move their head and neck around easily to scan, and also not compressing their abdomen and chest and preventing them from breathing deeply) helps a lot.

A lot of people support animals by the chest when holding them, like they’re holding a human infant, and no animal likes that. It stops them from breathing comfortably and stresses them out

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Lillian hates to be actually picked up but likes to be held, so she'll hop up on tables or couches and try to climb up your shirt if you're standing nearby. It's a very "no touch, only pet" sort of situation.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Anyway yeah I can’t trim his nails because he is a tiny bastard man

Otherwise he’s very sweet and I love him :3

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

I guess Broussette didn't get the memo. :(

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

RFC2324 posted:

Feel free to try, but keep some bandages and rubbing alcohol on hand.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

grack posted:

Feel free to try, but keep some bandages and rubbing alcohol on hand.

I'm not a fan of forcing touch on anything that doesn't want it, I just was wondering if its true. I think I am fairly unlikely to end up with a lionhead, they are in demand and not my favorite.

I asked the pairing team, and they are trying to pair my Delilah with a giant lop and omg :kimchi:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I’ve thought about trying to bond Ajax with another rabbit but I REALLY don’t think he would like it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

It happens. Some bunnies just hate other bunnies. If thats not true they are much happier bonded. Might be worth doing some bunny speed dating to be sure

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

It happens. Some bunnies just hate other bunnies. If thats not true they are much happier bonded. Might be worth doing some bunny speed dating to be sure

yeah. I think it’s really worth trying, because well-bonded rabbits are always so much happier than they were pre-bonding

honestly there’s nothing really to be scared of wrt your rabbit. Nobody’s going to get hurt speed dating. Worst thing you stand to lose is some time, barring any COVID concerns of course.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
We might try it once we move, we’ll see. I do know that when we first sat in a little enclosure with him to see if we vibed, he ignored both of us and some lettuce in between us and zeroed in on the litter box and started to fight it because it smelled like another rabbit. Once that was out he was fine. They think it was because he was rescued from a breeder farm where he (presumably) had no space and had to get super territorial

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

my cat keeps trying to play with the visiting bunny, chasing her and stuff. she keeps provoking him by running up behind him and nudging his tail/hindquarters. he doesn't seem to be trying to hurt her, just having fun chasing.

there is absolutely no way a prey animal likes being chased, right?

he's locked out of the room right now, but I really don't like doing that. there is just no other way to keep him out.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
does she look like she’s friendly with the cat? Is she chasing back? Trying to groom him?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

Ok Comboomer posted:

yeah. I think it’s really worth trying, because well-bonded rabbits are always so much happier than they were pre-bonding
IME a pair of rabbits is much easier and less worrisome to care for than a single rabbit.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ok Comboomer posted:

does she look like she’s friendly with the cat? Is she chasing back? Trying to groom him?

like, the entire interaction is him finally getting distracted from watching her, her running up behind him and nudging him, and him chasing her. its happened three times now, with the last one being the most clear that hes having fun, but he is also so baffled by her that they aren't really interacting outside of doing this.

it will be easier with the bigger bunnies that don't look so tasty when they run :/

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Hey friends, rabbit owner of 3 years now and I don't think I've posted here yet. Have a pair of bonded girls adopted from a local DFW rescue who love each other very much. We believe they're about 7 and 5, and decent sized- just under 8 pounds. Down from 10 or so from when we adopted them and gave them a much bigger space to live in!

I reach out because the older one is scheduled to have her teeth shaved down at the vet in a few weeks. She'll have to be put under for a bit, which gives me pause, but she'd be back home by the end of the day. I'm mostly worried about what to do with the one staying at home in terms of separation anxiety. This will be the longest they've been apart in at least 4 years. Any ideas or tips that will keep this day from being too traumatic?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

like, the entire interaction is him finally getting distracted from watching her, her running up behind him and nudging him, and him chasing her. its happened three times now, with the last one being the most clear that hes having fun, but he is also so baffled by her that they aren't really interacting outside of doing this.

it will be easier with the bigger bunnies that don't look so tasty when they run :/

for all that rabbits + dogs are generally a no-no, rabbits and cats can often get along really well together

A housecat is never going to try to eat a rabbit and if they ever fight with a rabbit they’re almost never going to try to fight them to the death and it’s always going to be a “get away from me” “personal space” or territory defense type of fight.

From a size standpoint they’re each really good in terms of making the other feel comfortable and being mutually safe. If there’s already zero real aggression I say go for it with letting them hang out, but obviously keep an eye out.

(adult) cats + rabbits + raccoons + even chill dogs will at least share space on occasion, so it’s not entirely out of the question.

IMO the biggest danger with interspecies hangs is disease- like maybe the rabbit grooms the cat’s butthole, as rabbits and cats both love, and he ingests some carnivore bacteria that make his GI tract really unhappy, etc. Just something to watch out for.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ok Comboomer posted:

for all that rabbits + dogs are generally a no-no, rabbits and cats can often get along really well together

A housecat is never going to try to eat a rabbit and if they ever fight with a rabbit they’re almost never going to try to fight them to the death and it’s always going to be a “get away from me” “personal space” or territory defense type of fight.

From a size standpoint they’re each really good in terms of making the other feel comfortable and being mutually safe. If there’s already zero real aggression I say go for it with letting them hang out, but obviously keep an eye out.

(adult) cats + rabbits + raccoons + even chill dogs will at least share space on occasion, so it’s not entirely out of the question.

IMO the biggest danger with interspecies hangs is disease- like maybe the rabbit grooms the cat’s butthole, as rabbits and cats both love, and he ingests some carnivore bacteria that make his GI tract really unhappy, etc. Just something to watch out for.

I'm not really worried about Oliver hurting the bunny, just upsetting her chasing her around. She is staying here for a couple weeks to quarantine before she is allowed into the shelter, so I try to make it a pleasant little interlude between whatever they came from(she lived in a backyard under a chicken coop!) before they end up in the shelter.

This is also the last quarantine before I adopt my big bunny and whoever she comes home with(2 giant bunnies would be awesome, guys)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

I'm not really worried about Oliver hurting the bunny, just upsetting her chasing her around. She is staying here for a couple weeks to quarantine before she is allowed into the shelter, so I try to make it a pleasant little interlude between whatever they came from(she lived in a backyard under a chicken coop!) before they end up in the shelter.

This is also the last quarantine before I adopt my big bunny and whoever she comes home with(2 giant bunnies would be awesome, guys)

former outdoor rabbits are usually pretty chill with cats and raccoons and other small mammals of the night, in my experience

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

cool, thank you :)

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Ok Comboomer posted:

former outdoor rabbits are usually pretty chill with cats and raccoons and other small mammals of the night, in my experience

I used to have a rescue who terrorized the poor neighborhood cats who dared intrude on her backyard. She would just run straight at them until they left in a panic. (not necessarily relevant to this specific context obv but god it was hilarious)

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

since I need it mainly for bunny spots, I'll ask here: can anyone recommend a decent carpet cleaner?

and the big lop I was trying to pair with my bun doesn't seem to be working. they are gonna try again, but they didn't get along at first. :sad:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

since I need it mainly for bunny spots, I'll ask here: can anyone recommend a decent carpet cleaner?

and the big lop I was trying to pair with my bun doesn't seem to be working. they are gonna try again, but they didn't get along at first. :sad:

Have you tried Nature’s Miracle? Pretty much anything with an enzyme cleaner (like stuff for cat piss) will take care of the scent marking compounds in mammal urine. Vinegar will break it down on hard surfaces, but you pretty much have to go enzyme-or-bust if it’s in textile

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ok Comboomer posted:

Have you tried Nature’s Miracle? Pretty much anything with an enzyme cleaner (like stuff for cat piss) will take care of the scent marking compounds in mammal urine. Vinegar will break it down on hard surfaces, but you pretty much have to go enzyme-or-bust if it’s in textile

I was actually meaning a machine. I've never shopped for one, and goon recommendations rarely fail me :shrug:

I didn't know natures miracle, but I know vinegar for hard surfaces, thanks!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

I think Harriet is the one creature on earth who loves this quarantine and lockdowns. See, our office is her bedroom. So either my wife or I, or both of us* are in here with her alot of the day, so she gets spoiled with cuddles and treats constantly when she wants them. She'll straight up flop next to us while working too and take a nap at our feet. And, the spoiled bunny she is, when it's nice out, we work out of the garden and she gets to run around and eat all the drat plants I bust my rear end planting and nuturing.

*I'm doing shift works, so my wife works 8-4 and I do 4-midnight, or midnight to-8ams, meaning bunny gets 16 hours of attention.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Yesterday sucked. My spouse walked into the office about 3:30 and said "What's wrong with Ernie?" I turned around and he had blood all over his face.

A trip to the emergency vet later, it's just an upper respiratory infection (he had a nosebleed). Anyone have advice on syringe feeding antibiotics to an uncooperative rabbit? The cherry flavour is not making a difference.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Yesterday sucked. My spouse walked into the office about 3:30 and said "What's wrong with Ernie?" I turned around and he had blood all over his face.

A trip to the emergency vet later, it's just an upper respiratory infection (he had a nosebleed). Anyone have advice on syringe feeding antibiotics to an uncooperative rabbit? The cherry flavour is not making a difference.

burrito him. Also, I assume the vet told you this but it’s good to do meds with critical care for the sake of GI comfort/to keep them down and rapid absorption. Obvi don’t mix them together, but I like to feed a little bit before/after giving meds. Also don’t forget to syringe in some water every now and then/after giving meds.

did he get painkillers? Jareth quickly figured out that narcotics relieved pain and/or were potentially habit-forming when he had a bad ear infection, and became uncharacteristically cooperative WRT undergoing a 3x daily dosing/feeding regimen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
He's eating, drinking, and pooping normally so I haven't given him critical care. The vet didn't prescribe any Metacam either. The trip to the vet, and trying to feed him medicine, is bothering him a lot more than the infection.

I took them both and Bert was crying in the pet carrier :(