Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Gaius Marius posted:

Reading a dozen Starwars EU novels or what have you is the equivalent of spending half your day watching Pawn Stars, we've only got a limited amount of time here. Why would you waste it on low quality works?

Several times I have "watched" an entire day of history channel's pawn star marathon days when working from home, even though it usually loops the same episodes at around 2pm after the first 6 hours. That and American Pickers are great for leaving on all day because there is no plot so you don't miss anything important when work distracts you from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Why are all children's novels that get traction in the anglo world somehow related to high class abusive british boarding school, goddam

The upper class control things.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gaius Marius posted:

Reading a dozen Starwars EU novels or what have you is the equivalent of spending half your day watching Pawn Stars, we've only got a limited amount of time here. Why would you waste it on low quality works?

Because when I kick off what books I read will matter exactly zero percent.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
People who watch Power Rangers are dumb and have bad taste. People who watch Super Sentai, on the other hand, are smart and handsome, and appreciate good television

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

At the very least, Lee Harvey Oswald was a CIA asset who got out of pocket.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Video games were better when the graphics were really bad. We should have stopped developing graphics in games around Morrowind. People spend more time now on making it look good than making it actually a game. Skyrim looks a lot better than morrowind but it sucks as a game in comparison.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Video games were better when the graphics were really bad. We should have stopped developing graphics in games around Morrowind. People spend more time now on making it look good than making it actually a game. Skyrim looks a lot better than morrowind but it sucks as a game in comparison.
Hell yeah, Snes/Genesis to PS1/64 was the peak of graphics, everything since has had more graphics instead of better graphics

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The height of gaming was the PS2/Gamecube/XBox era, when consoles got powerful enough you could have more complex and expansive games, but not so much that you lost the experimental spirit of the olden times or got bogged down with gigantic empty worlds that get filled up with crafting mechanics, lootboxes and cutscene bullshit.

Some of my favorite games ever are on the PS3, but it's just felt like sliding downhill since.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kanye West is the greatest living artist, when he dies he'll be remembered like the Beatles. No other person in modernity has had such a large contribution to musics course and history.

Kanye is an artist in the same way Michelangelo or Rembrandt is.

When we look back music will be dated Pre and Post Kanye, that's the level of influence he yields

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Kanye designs the worlds most hideous shoes at least

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

My beautiful dark twisted fantasy is the greatest work of art ever created, it's detractors should be removed from this planet

Y9ou can feel it;s like icarus at the very edge of the sky, and as the album ends he crashes into the sea. Pure art

People don't undestand his genius

loving heartless man has anyone harnessed the power of autotune like Kanye has? NO!

Gaius Marius has a new favorite as of 06:57 on Apr 3, 2021

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Music is intensely personal and, because of that, it's often very hard to assess whether music is good or bad.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Josef bugman posted:

Music is intensely personal and, because of that, it's often very hard to assess whether music is good or bad.
I draw the line at bad technical proficiency, but hell, music genres really do genuinely mean nothing. I've found songs from everything between Franz Anton Liszt and dubstep that I've ended up enjoying anyway.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

I draw the line at bad technical proficiency, but hell, music genres really do genuinely mean nothing. I've found songs from everything between Franz Anton Liszt and dubstep that I've ended up enjoying anyway.

True, bad music as in the actual "playing" is easier (though sometimes still tricky and personal) to tell if it's bad. But "music" as a whole is so emotionally tied to the listener that I think it can be hard to tell if it's good.

It's different with things like film or TV where they are stories being told and, whilst they can still have an emotional pull to a lot of folks, they are easier to pick apart and analyse.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Just literally remake Morrowind with Skyrim graphics, what on earth is stopping them from this?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

Music is, at the same time, communal and when used correctly it's very easy to assess whether it's good or bad; i.e. if people are dancing, it's good.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
If people are dancing, it's music. Maybe.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Just literally remake Morrowind with Skyrim graphics, what on earth is stopping them from this?

They are.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Morrowind is the Gulliver’s Travels or Robinson Crusoe of video games. What a great game. It is a classic.

I’m playing through it now with the Morrowind++ mod list and a speed/stamina mod which kind of fix clunky aspects of the game but mostly preserve the spirit of the game.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I wish I could play games like Morrowind and enjoy them but I don't understand how you don't die of boredom with them. It takes ages to get anywhere in there and you're just always running around slightly clueless for the first 15 hours of play or something.

Just play Dirt 3 forever. You can't look dumb as a brick playing that :smith:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I think my aversion to them is mostly rooted in the fact that I don't know how to install them and I'd have to confront my own stupidity to do so, but I've never gotten into game mods like that. There's also the fact that it (skywind) has been constantly "in development" for like 10 years and the pessimist in me says it's still probably a couple years off at least.

but it would be cool if they ever finish it.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

fizzymercury posted:

I wish I could play games like Morrowind and enjoy them but I don't understand how you don't die of boredom with them. It takes ages to get anywhere in there and you're just always running around slightly clueless for the first 15 hours of play or something.

It's a murder and theft simulator. You get bored because your first instinct on having no consequences isn't to stab someone and take their stuff.

Congrats on not being a psycho.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

fizzymercury posted:

It is a slow paced game (although installing a mod which makes you run faster and fatigue less helps a little) with a steep learning curve, although at the end of the game the difficulty is very easy, because after a while your character becomes extremely over-powered. It has a lot of text and very few quest markers. It is a little different from more modern video games.

Guyver posted:

It's a murder and theft simulator. You get bored because your first instinct on having no consequences isn't to stab someone and take their stuff.

Congrats on not being a psycho.

I didn't know that Tipper Gore posted on the SomethingAwful message boards.

silence_kit has a new favorite as of 14:39 on Apr 3, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Murder and theft definitely wasn't my first instinct when I played Morrowind. I was introduced to the joys of being a kleptomaniac serial killer slowly.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
People should read more history books instead of reading fiction

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Cardiovorax posted:

Murder and theft definitely wasn't my first instinct when I played Morrowind. I was introduced to the joys of being a kleptomaniac serial killer slowly.

Pretty sure one of the first things I did out side of the tutorial bit was shank the lady in the light house because I wasn't sure how the stealth worked and knew no one could see me anyway.

silence_kit posted:

I didn't know that Tipper Gore posted on the SomethingAwful message boards.
Never said it was a bad thing. People need a safe outlet.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also Skywind is still going to be Morrwind in Skyrim. They can add a lot but they can't get rid of Skyrim's poo poo magic or combat.

I want something like the Rome: Total War remaster coming out soon. They cleaned up the UI and added quality of life features, updated the graphics, and left the gameplay almost unchanged except for glaring bugs and balance issues.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 15:27 on Apr 3, 2021

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

fizzymercury posted:

in the early 2000's this was considered fun and groundbreaking but now all games have to constantly dazzle you every 5 minutes with novelty and brightness and insanity and thats why you have found yourself desensitised

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also Skywind is still going to be Morrwind in Skyrim. They can add a lot but they can't get rid of Skyrim's poo poo magic or combat.

I want something like the Rome: Total War remaster coming out soon. They cleaned up the UI and added quality of life features, updated the graphics, and left the gameplay almost unchanged except for glaring bugs and balance issues.

OpenMW is pretty far along at this point

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i like openmw but i prefer to leave out mods that embellish the graphics. i just want stability fixes

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Skyrim never felt like a lot of fun when I played it.

I actually kind of like "the bioware RPG" and wish there were more of them.

Just because something is deep and meaningful for you doesn't mean other people are wrong to find fault with it.

Savoury pies are better than sweet pies.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's really weird that Americans aren't more into Savory pies, It seems like it would be in their wheelhouse. See also Dumplings

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

It's really weird that Americans aren't more into Savory pies, It seems like it would be in their wheelhouse. See also Dumplings

Every Midwestern state has its own mutant version of these things.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Henchman of Santa posted:

Every Midwestern state has its own mutant version of these things.

Pasties?

And we do have like chicken pot pie, which is pretty well known. We just don’t have a lot of garbage organ meat slurry pie like they do across the pond.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I forgot Chicken pot pies and Shepard's pies exist, but you can't tell me a Minnesota person wouldn't look right at home eating a steak and kidney pie

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

PHOU: Dumplings suck. Pirogies are where it's at.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

PHOU: Dumplings suck. Pirogies are where it's at.

What is the difference between dumplings and meatballs?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dumplings are a piece of dough wrapped around something and cooked in some way, a super broad category

Meatballs are a waste of ground meat

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

What is the difference between dumplings and meatballs?
Dumplings are wrapped in dough and meatballs aren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

Dumplings are wrapped in dough and meatballs aren't.

Oooh now I am thinking about steamed pork buns.