Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
The champion not getting “primer primer” correct by pronouncing the second word like the paint layer in hetronym seemed bad and no lack of judge ruling is going to convince me otherwise!

E: or the definition of hetronym

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I always thought both "row" words were pronounced the same. Guess not!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Poque posted:

I always thought both "row" words were pronounced the same. Guess not!

I always thought both "primer" words were pronounced the same and definitely said it exactly the same way as the contestant who got them wrong LOL.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

HookShot posted:

I don't know if they've been telling the contestants when they get the call who will be hosting that week, but they should, since I mean, they'd have that information already.
I had the 2nd round if my Zoom audition about a month ago. They told us that if they choose you they won't be able to tell you who will be hosting and that you won't know until you get there to tape. They said the coordinator likely wouldn't know at that point anyway unless it had already been publicly announced.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Jokymi posted:

I had the 2nd round if my Zoom audition about a month ago. They told us that if they choose you they won't be able to tell you who will be hosting and that you won't know until you get there to tape. They said the coordinator likely wouldn't know at that point anyway unless it had already been publicly announced.

Ugh. That... sucks. And also feels very disorganized of them. Surely someone at the J! studios knows three weeks ahead of time whos’s going to be the guest host. It wouldn’t be that hard to give contestants a heads up!

PS. Good luck!!

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Calling "I <3 NY" a logo is a huge stretch. Its a glorified bumper sticker. I cant blame them for not getting it esp if they've never experienced the insane level of self fellating head up their own rear end bullshit that is the NY identity first hand.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

banned from Starbucks posted:

Calling "I <3 NY" a logo is a huge stretch. Its a glorified bumper sticker. I cant blame them for not getting it esp if they've never experienced the insane level of self fellating head up their own rear end bullshit that is the NY identity first hand.
You could say the same about any "lifestyle brand" but here we are, peppered in Supreme and Salt Life stickers

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I got right away but it was a pretty bad clue. I'd say it was the worst in a long time but that Olympics one wasn't all that long ago.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

It was originally more of an advertising slogan, too, not even really a logo (I mean it was a logo, the big thing was changing the love to a heart, but you know what I mean). They had a bunch of Broadway stars sing it. It was back in the 70s when New York was sketchy af and they wanted to get people to come visit. I totally agree. I think it was a sucky clue but it would have been much better with a different category name. “Popular slogans” or “modern phrases” or something.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I've always thought of "I <3 NY" as pop-art rather than a logo. I was definitely thinking of corporate logos during the q.

edit: My guess was United :shrug:

wa27 fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 1, 2021

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
What is happening with these final jeopardy clues?

Poque fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 17, 2022

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
I'm not particularly great at Jeopardy, and even I was stuck on "It can't possibly be that dumb of an answer, right" for the whole time. I thought they'd at least want like, a specific branch of the church.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
This woman in the middle talks way too loving fast.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I was surprised that Dr. Oz admitted at the beginning how much of a shrill he is for quack science and promised how that'll change when he takes over Jeopardy! in the fall.

That said, that H&R joke is quickly wearing out its welcome.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Maybe it’s because Alex did this forever but Dr Oz has a lot of trouble giving the answer as if he personally knew it while Alex was so smooth that he always seemed like he was a genius answering everything from his own knowledge.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Maybe it’s because Alex did this forever but Dr Oz has a lot of trouble giving the answer as if he personally knew it while Alex was so smooth that he always seemed like he was a genius answering everything from his own knowledge.
"...'We' were looking for

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Poque posted:

What the absolute gently caress is happening with these final jeopardy clues?

There was at least one in each round that was badly written, starting with the Red Cross clue they had to give money back on.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Well, after two weeks, our short international nightmare is over.

In other news, affiliates KARE, WDIV, and WLS is providing a public service and preempting the show for two weeks in favor of a therapy show to help people recover from the trauma of Dr. Oz hosting. It's unfortunate that they’ll miss the MVP of East/West Bowl 3 but it's a sacrifice that they’re willing to make

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Ken also did this really well and I have a sneaking suspicion that Ken genuinely just didn't really bother reading the answers off the sheet a lot of the time (and I suspect Alex was more or less the same. Someone in the audience on my tape day asked Alex how he would do on the show and Alex said he'd put money on himself if he had to play people his own age but that he'd have no chance on the buzzer against younger contestants). Mike Richards and Dr. Oz have been the loving WORST so far with the pauses between the answer and the ruling.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
One thing I definitely noticed with Ken was when a contestant said something close to right, Ken would wait for the judges to rule, while it seemed more like Alex would rule immediately and then correct himself if the judges overruled him. Fortunately, it didn't come up too often.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

My favorite awkward Jeopardy moments are when they come back from the commercial break and Alex explains how the judges took away money from one of the contestants because they mispronounced a word and the person just looks so grumpy.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Well, verdict is in on whether ex-players can get back on again now Alex is gone: it's a no-go.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

HookShot posted:

Well, verdict is in on whether ex-players can get back on again now Alex is gone: it's a no-go.

Why would anyone want someone who lost back? There’s no shortage of new blood.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Why would anyone want someone who lost back? There’s no shortage of new blood.

When we all went on the paperwork said that we couldn't reappear on any version of Jeopardy hosted by Alex Trebek in the future. That opened it up to a lot of people wondering if when Alex retired they would let those people who had already been on try again, since it would be a different "version" of the show, and no one had heard otherwise.

Well, they've now explicitly made that ruling.

Also, not everyone who went on Jeopardy lost.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

HookShot posted:

When we all went on the paperwork said that we couldn't reappear on any version of Jeopardy hosted by Alex Trebek in the future. That opened it up to a lot of people wondering if when Alex retired they would let those people who had already been on try again, since it would be a different "version" of the show, and no one had heard otherwise.

You mean the people who could only win 5 games max under that old rule?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

HookShot posted:

Should've been yes, but it had to be Dr. Oz's episodes.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Pretty sure nimbus isn't itself a type of cloud.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I definitely didn't know Angel Falls were named after a person until today.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

Actually, everyone who goes on Jeopardy does eventually lose. Whether it’s one game, or 20 games, they all lose in the end. You could go as far as saying that if you get on Jeopardy, the only guarantee for your future is that you will, at some point, lose on Jeopardy.

Everyone who has ever been on jeopardy, in the end becomes a loser.

Really makes you think.

Edit: I also found the perfect song for this viewpoint.

https://youtu.be/YgSPaXgAdzE

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 3, 2021

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

Actually, everyone who goes on Jeopardy does eventually lose. Whether it’s one game, or 20 games, they all lose in the end. You could go as far as saying that if you get on Jeopardy, the only guarantee for your future is that you will, at some point, lose on Jeopardy.

Really makes you think.

LOL accurate.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Duckman2008 posted:

Really makes you think.

What about the contestants back when there was a five game limit? Or was Brad the only one who ever hit that?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Ken Jennings losing was a conspiracy.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I suffered through Oz just for Alex' sake.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Brad Rutter was cursed to keep winning for 20 years until he finally gave up.

I do wonder if there were any other 5-game winners who then won their ToCs and never came back for whatever reason.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

christmas boots posted:

What about the contestants back when there was a five game limit? Or was Brad the only one who ever hit that?

Most of them should've taken a L at the Ultimate TOC if not earlier tournaments. Since Brad won, his L came from Watson

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

technically isnt it possible for the winner of the kids/college tournaments to not lose?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

technically isnt it possible for the winner of the kids/college tournaments to not lose?

Oh poo poo. This is correct.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

wa27 posted:

Brad Rutter was cursed to keep winning for 20 years until he finally gave up.

Also to look like he ages backward, though I think this is mostly just not caring about his appearance until 2014

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Duckman2008 posted:

I also found the perfect song for this viewpoint.

I'm tickled by your fake out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Would a new Watson special be even worse than the last one?