Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
ALL I WANT TO DO, IS SEE YOU TURN INTO, A GIANT WOMAN!

Man, I love KSBD, and the Alicio n' Chains design is amazing.

Lobok posted:

Started reading K6BD for the first time this week after having it saved in my bookmarks for years. Pretty cool so far but still waiting to get to the real combat. It's funny reading through the comments on each post and seeing a guy from Image even very early on offering to publish.

The kickoff for the major violence is near the end at Hell 71, IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Terrible violence, you mean.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
an animated adaptation would be really cool

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

scary ghost dog posted:

an animated adaptation would be really cool

Only if the theme song changes to this during the tournament arc.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Are we still talking about King Arthur, because everyone should be reading Once and Future, which is mainly about how the old tales are far more horrible than we tell them.

There's also a sequence where a bunch of Britain First style racists get killed by zombie King Arthur for being Anglo-Saxons instead of true Celts

Thank you for posting this, otherwise I wouldn't have noticed O&F compilations #1 and 2 in the latest Humble Bundle.

Parahexavoctal fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 27, 2021

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Monster #8.

Back in the first chapter, the Commander was introduced alongside her tiger bff.

And I was like, awesome, I can dig it. But is the tiger an emotional support animal, or a mere signpost of how badass she is?

No, it turns out the tiger exists to absorb recoil for her anti-Kaiju rifle.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
So yes, it is literally a support animal :v:
e: it makes such a good visual joke I bet the author planned it exactly that way

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 1, 2021

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hmm this book is intriguing, to me

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Are we still talking about King Arthur, because everyone should be reading Once and Future, which is mainly about how the old tales are far more horrible than we tell them.

There's also a sequence where a bunch of Britain First style racists get killed by zombie King Arthur for being Anglo-Saxons instead of true Celts

Is this exclusively Arthurian in inspiration because if you tell me they work some Ulster Cycle in there then I'm all loving in.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

site posted:

It is a manga on the Shonen Jump app. Warning; although that character is pretty cool she has barely appeared so far.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

site posted:

It is good (to me) but the pacing is also... kind of rough, so be prepared for that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

muscles like this! posted:

It is a manga on the Shonen Jump app. Warning; although that character is pretty cool she has barely appeared so far.

Oh, less intriguing then

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It might help to note that the above is called 'Kaiju Number 8' to make it easier to search for and so you do not, as I did, spend a while being very confused at the turn Naoki Urasawa's taut psychological thriller takes.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I mean anything that gets people to read Monster is a net good to humanity.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Nilbop posted:

Is this exclusively Arthurian in inspiration because if you tell me they work some Ulster Cycle in there then I'm all loving in.

It isn't exclusively Arthurian, but I didn't recognize the Ulster Cycle. At one point, our hero gets hit with Beowulf's story, but that's about it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Squidster posted:

Monster #8.

Back in the first chapter, the Commander was introduced alongside her tiger bff.

And I was like, awesome, I can dig it. But is the tiger an emotional support animal, or a mere signpost of how badass she is?

Hm I don't remember any of this from the Monster anime.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Kaiju No. 8 is a fun but typical manga about a dude who can become a monster to fight other monsters

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Goddammit that is exactly what Nietzsche told us not to do

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Don't know why he said thay, that sounds fuckin' rad.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
So I decided to get into Once and Future anyway and while I didn't get my Cuchulain fix, this is still a really fun mythology romp with some great art.

darthbob88 posted:

It isn't exclusively Arthurian, but I didn't recognize the Ulster Cycle. At one point, our hero gets hit with Beowulf's story, but that's about it.

On this note, I really appreciated the following cameo in this particular story arc (very minor spoilers)

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Squidster posted:

Monster #8.

I'm pretty sure this is a repost, and I don't care. It's awesome.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Malachite_Dragon posted:

It is good (to me) but the pacing is also... kind of rough, so be prepared for that.

I had heard enough good things to be intrigued, but if they're hitting the manga pacing problem that early it's not a good sign.

Mulva posted:

Even the television show is excellent. Get Monster in any form because it's excellent. It's kind of weird that a Japan book dives so deeply in German re-unification, though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

habeasdorkus posted:

I'm pretty sure this is a repost, and I don't care. It's awesome.

The comic came out today so probably not.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Phy posted:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Random Stranger posted:

I had heard enough good things to be intrigued, but if they're hitting the manga pacing problem that early it's not a good sign.

Even the television show is excellent. Get Monster in any form because it's excellent. It's kind of weird that a Japan book dives so deeply in German re-unification, though.

The pacing isn’t bad in a way that shows the manga is in trouble, it just takes 16 pages to tell what it could in 12

Manga has a great deal of breadth which means you can find works that go real hard into weird niche subjects. It rules, even if you have to wade through one million isekais to get there

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Mulva posted:

Yes, more people should read Naoki Urasawa's Monster.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Phy posted:

Mo like Notzsche.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
Got caught up on Savage Avengers

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is that AoA Iceman or something?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is that AoA Iceman or something?

Nope, the regular one. He reforms in the next issue because Iceman's powers are broken as poo poo (and then has his own badass moment that I'd post but I'm phone-posting)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

Nope, the regular one. He reforms in the next issue because Iceman's powers are broken as poo poo (and then has his own badass moment that I'd post but I'm phone-posting)

What, the guy who could probably cause the heat death of the universe if he wanted to is overpowered?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

What, the guy who could probably cause the heat death of the universe if he wanted to is overpowered?

I wish someone applied the idiotic X-men powers logic to other things. "Jonah Jameson could sell enough newspapers to engulf the galaxy if he tapped into his true potential!" "Your bathtub could contain the entire ocean if it tapped into its true water-containing potential!" "You can eat half a bagel in a single bite? You could devour the earth- etc.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Bobby you've known Thor for how long and you've never once heard of Ymir?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Push El Burrito posted:

Bobby you've known Thor for how long and you've never once heard of Ymir?

It's not like they've ever been close.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Skwirl posted:

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I'm sure Bobby couldn't actually drain all the heat from the universe. Human Torch would just keep warming it up again.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I thought bobby was omega level because there's like, water in the atmosphere and stuff. How would he cause the heat death of the universe

site fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 3, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

I thought bobby was morgan level because there's like, water in the atmosphere and stuff. How would he cause the heat death of the universe

He cools everything down to absolute zero.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Skwirl posted:

Want he living in Central Park when Ymir conquered New York?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Want he living in Central Park when Ymir conquered New York?

I think he was trapped in Age of X during that.