Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

John_A_Tallon posted:

Oh really, why's that? Could you spell it out for us?

If they really are a former mod then I don't have reason to doubt their authenticity, but by going "yo I got hot info" and leaving it at that does not help anyone and leaves people to speculate and theorize which can only serve to muddy the waters further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I'm gonna have to look into it again, but I've seen a thread from another person who argued they are a fan of Vinny and did flirt with him/have sexual interactions consensually at 19, but that they didn't think he was being inappropriate.

So, from what I'm gathering, this accusation seems to be at least partly bogus, but the whole "loving his fans" thing is broadly true? That said, uh, obviously this would have to be vetted too: https://twitter.com/mogworld_/status/1378268015914008576

I also remember hearing rumblings of this in the past in some random Twitter thread, but with absolutely no substantiation to them nor anyone claiming to be a victim, what do you do exactly?

That said, it really does suck to see the current climate of reckoning for sexual assault weaponized by bad actors.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Like with Dan, I am a little skeeved out at the idea of a guy a few years older than me having sex with people not even old enough to drink, but if everyone involved is an adult and clear on the terms of the relationship then that's really the worst one can say about it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Uggh. I'm 42 and kids that age just - look like kids to me. Nobody under 25 looks like a possible sexual partner to me any more and I think that's probably more normal than the 'um 17 year old girls are at their scientifically hottest everyone knows that' people. I'm a bisexual woman and the most I think when I see a very gorgeous 22-year-old is 'oh what a lovely-looking kid', you know? Like they're not even in my same category. Surely that's more usual than these fuckin creeps.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

HopperUK posted:

Uggh. I'm 42 and kids that age just - look like kids to me. Nobody under 25 looks like a possible sexual partner to me any more and I think that's probably more normal than the 'um 17 year old girls are at their scientifically hottest everyone knows that' people. I'm a bisexual woman and the most I think when I see a very gorgeous 22-year-old is 'oh what a lovely-looking kid', you know? Like they're not even in my same category. Surely that's more usual than these fuckin creeps.

Yeah. My wife is in my age category and the best thing about that is that we grew up with similar experiences and we have a ton of stuff that we can share and talk about with each other. I'm not gonna say it's impossible to get that same sort of thing with someone a couple generations away from you, but it seems significantly harder.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I guess I can tell on myself a little bit, a while back I met a new coworker who was 19, and I actually thought she was cute and interesting and was a little interested... even though I felt really weird about it. But the more I got to know her, the more she came across as a kid, like she had enough sense to make her own decisions but it'd feel really weird and skeevy to date or sleep with her. She even got flirty with me after working with her for a while, but I held back because it felt wrong. Being attracted to young people is fine, some can be interesting to talk to or hang around and they're still adults, but the issue is how you act on that attraction.

Basically, have some self-restraint and respect for social boundaries.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grapplejack posted:

I'm hearing poo poo about gpm being involved, which if he is lol gpm is a genuine scumbag who got kicked out of vinesauce for stealing charity money and regularly streams with groomers

Both mandalore and shammy appear to have undone their retweets and issued an apology, which is weird. They were both early rters

https://twitter.com/Lord_Mandalore/status/1378221233536446465?s=20

https://twitter.com/ShammyTV/status/1378228319120986117?s=20

This whole fiasco is loving bizarre

What did they rt? The accusations?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

HopperUK posted:

Because my random-association musings are a highly valuable contribution, and are entirely on topic:

Consider half-elves. "Humans are like dogs to elves" isn't a good analogy because... well, humans are sapient. But every single 200 year elf who fucks a 30-50 year old human is basically the equivalent to the above. Wearing an "only technically a double entendre" "if there's grass on the field, play ball" t-shirt doublet.

Another reason why elves are the worst.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

HopperUK posted:

I wouldn't be so sure, that "half your age plus 7" rule people often cite as the lower limit of when it starts being creepy was in the past considered the ideal age for a female partner. When you look at how common it apparently is for men in positions of wealth, fame and power with access to younger women and girls to creep on them, and how frequently people will excuse or cover for them, I think the disturbing truth is that relationships with an age/power imbalance are a marker of male status in our culture, men with wealth and power learn to feel entitled to them, and many, if not most men will excuse anything short of illegality (and in many cases, several steps beyond) in service of that culture.

We've at least reached the point where men of fame and power will keep these liaisons secret because they know there's a part of society that will shun and shame them for it, but sadly I think there's still a long way to go before these sorts of relationships are not desirable to men, either secretly or openly.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HopperUK posted:

Maybe it's because I'm in my early 20s but I could definitely not tell you the difference between a 26 and 22 year old at a glance.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Acerbatus posted:

Maybe it's because I'm in my early 20s but I could definitely not tell you the difference between a 26 and 22 year old at a glance.

It's partly the age you are, yeah. I'm not saying I always could but like, there's a line below which people just do not look like possible partners to me and it moves as I get older.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Wait until you get into your 30s, where your peers (and you) all age differently so three different people who are all the same age might look 22, 34 and 42.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Friend is following this more than I am but apparently Charon's been changing their vinny story and contradicting themselves a lot about this whole thing. Went from "I left the mod team 2 weeks ago'' to ''they kicked me out yesterday after my post'' and is still apparently listed as a mod right now. That + Ties to GPM I'm kinda leaning away from *that particular* person being trustworthy.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Friend is following this more than I am but apparently Charon's been changing their vinny story and contradicting themselves a lot about this whole thing. Went from "I left the mod team 2 weeks ago'' to ''they kicked me out yesterday after my post'' and is still apparently listed as a mod right now. That + Ties to GPM I'm kinda leaning away from *that particular* person being trustworthy.

Is there anyone really trustworthy at this point after the other people admitted to kneejerk retweeting without actually reading?

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
This whole thing is exhausting. I have no idea what to even think about it.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Is there anyone really trustworthy at this point after the other people admitted to kneejerk retweeting without actually reading?

It'll just result in nobody believing anything ever again.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Judge Tesla posted:

It'll just result in nobody believing anything ever again.

We're already there.

We live in a society where the president fingered a woman and then his corporate owners had their media dogs print hit pieces attacking the victim when she had the temerity to speak up that she'd been victimized and that maybe having a rapist like Biden as president would not be a great thing.

The recourse, the only recourse, is to actively decide which hyperreality you subscribe to and stick to it. Force everyone else along with you by relentlessly repeating the truth.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I didn't see the vod myself and it's still processing but from what twitter is saying Vinny went live with a pre-recorded message, said he can't stream like this right now and is getting a lawyer involved.

Dunno if anything else was said.

E: That's pretty much it.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/974755692?t=0h0m51s Vod link.

From the sounds of it he did prooobably sleep around but I kinda doubt it was anything bad. Says he's taking time off to evaluate who he is as a person and try to sort his own mental state out over this happening. Don't abuse people and that he's got a lawyer that's helping him figure out what he can do about false claims.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 4, 2021

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

That was it, and a message to not harass anyone who made statements

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Sounds like he realizes that he did probably screw up at some point in his life and he's owning up to that. I can respect that.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Gotta love when some trolls on /v/ fabricating the original accusation basically poisoned the waters for any other statement.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Honestly I'm just surprised that Vinny fucks, I assumed he was volcel

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Gotta love when some trolls on /v/ fabricating the original accusation basically poisoned the waters for any other statement.

I don't think /v/ had anything to do with it tbh. There's some internet detectiving to try to guess who it was that tossed out the original accusation but like, that's about it. The mandalore / shammy thing is probably the weirdest part of all of this tbh since they have like, no connection to vinesauce or that sphere at all

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I'm a huge vinny fan so I'm super bummed. I am not blaming anyone nor am I getting involved in it whatsoever cause what the gently caress do i know, but I did want to throw out a general reminder that every single famous actor, athlete, or personality i have ever met or been involved with has hosed fans. Every single one, regardless of gender. If anyone here regularly works in those worlds, you know I am not exaggerating or joking. Whether that is cool or not is fully something I'm staying out of, but it is a fact.

The joke in the world I worked was "There are two types of spouses in this industry: those that know/accept that their famous spouse is cheating, and those that are in denial. There are no other types."

Dont meet (or meat) your heroes, etc.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Honestly if it there was consent and the two were legal adults I just don't think people should care. It is weird to think about it but like, when you're a streamer do you just hand in the ability to have sex?

There was someone that slept with Vinny and provided proof and was like 'yeah we did it but I told him it was okay and he respected my boundaries and didn't hound me for follow ups or anything- heck I still watch his streams' and it's just

Ehh adults get to decide adult things.

E: Like I haven't seen anything really pointing to grooming or abuse or anything so I'm just :shrug:

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Grapplejack posted:

Honestly I'm just surprised that Vinny fucks, I assumed he was volcel

I don't think /v/ had anything to do with it tbh. There's some internet detectiving to try to guess who it was that tossed out the original accusation but like, that's about it. The mandalore / shammy thing is probably the weirdest part of all of this tbh since they have like, no connection to vinesauce or that sphere at all

Vinny struck me as someone who's been around the block. Joel, on the other hand, is def volcel.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I didn't see the vod myself and it's still processing but from what twitter is saying Vinny went live with a pre-recorded message, said he can't stream like this right now and is getting a lawyer involved.

Dunno if anything else was said.

E: That's pretty much it.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/974755692?t=0h0m51s Vod link.

From the sounds of it he did prooobably sleep around but I kinda doubt it was anything bad. Says he's taking time off to evaluate who he is as a person and try to sort his own mental state out over this happening. Don't abuse people and that he's got a lawyer that's helping him figure out what he can do about false claims.

This is just all lawyer talk. Regardless of guilt they tell you not to confirm or deny anything.

EDIT: Sounds to me like he's saying at least some of the allegations are fake and he wants to deny them without hurting the MeToo movement in general.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 4, 2021

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

Wait until you get into your 30s, where your peers (and you) all age differently so three different people who are all the same age might look 22, 34 and 42.

I have that too much weightlifting thing where I look 25 and 50 at the same time if I don't put on extra fat.

People around 21 under look drastically different, just look at the group of people starting university and the group finishing, with obvious exceptions, one looks like actual kids.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

loving fans is weird and kinda skeezy, but if he's not doing the thing GG guy did with pretending to love them and going for them super young/going for people he's known since they were kids it's not nearly as bad.

Like he absolutely should re-examine what he's doing and stop, but like I'm not gonna stop watching like I have with the Grumps. Least that's where I'm drawing a line I guess. Obviously reliant on worse not coming out.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

In this instance it does seem like Vinny had a problem, or vice, or whatever you want to call it and somebody who had a beef with him and wanted to destroy his life used that to attack him. It doesn't seem like other than sleeping with some fans, Vinny did anything particularly horrible here. I mean the two worst examples we have any evidence of look fabricated, and if there's any other murmurs of wrongdoing it's nothing worse than "yeah, I slept with Vinny once" from one or two people who didn't seem that upset about it.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

this thread loving sucks so much rear end holy moley.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

StabMasterArson posted:

stop looking at your own post history

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Grapplejack posted:

The mandalore / shammy thing is probably the weirdest part of all of this tbh since they have like, no connection to vinesauce or that sphere at all

In both cases it seems as though a third-party/friend-of-a-friend contacted them and asked for a signal boost? Dunno if it was part of the opp or not, but that's two less people willing to signal boost in the future, I guess. :/

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

StabMasterArson posted:

It's not great, but much better than when you were posting stonetoss comics and then complaining when people said they sucked.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It's not great, but much better than when you were posting stonetoss comics and then complaining when people said they sucked.

oh yea lol

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

StabMasterArson posted:

feel free to list your specific grievances

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

feel free to list your specific grievances

Not enough red panels posts?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Well, that just sucks to hear. First time I've personally seen this happen to someone I actually care or know much of anything about. It kind of makes me want to have some sort of frank dialogue about just what's acceptable to do with your fans, because on the one hand it's really shady and exploitative to leverage your fan base for sex, but at the same time it's also just kind of a fact of life that some people will happily throw themselves at pretty much anyone with even the pettiest amount of fame to their name. It makes me feel kind of conflicted about just how high of a moral standard we should be holding celebrities to. Might not be the right thread for it, though.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Twitch streamers specifically have a problem with their audience forgetting that they are just entertainers, and they are explicitly not your close personal friend whose personal life is an open book for you to analyze. I don't particularly want to know about this dudes sex life, and frankly I felt nasty reading the document because I was clearly accessing far too much of these peoples out of context personal communication and information. The too online gamer community obviously has deep rooted issues and fascination with sex and sexuality in general, and I think that is coming through in some of the reactions as well.

After having slept on it and read it again, a turbonerd entertainer who works 6 days a week is very socially awkward when trying to get laid and a emotionally lovely/erratic bad hook-up who ghosts people. Thats about as much as I could get out of it all. I hope he works on some of that for his own health, but none of that is really my business and is explicitly outside of my entertainer-entertained relationship with the guy. Frankly, some of that document is outside the bounds of what is appropriate to even share publicly, to me, and pretty well illustrates his paranoia over his personal life being discussed.

But I'm gonna get out of it cause unless some new stuff comes out, I am pretty likely to keep watching.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As I said earlier, people don't "just forget" about the nature of the relationship between internet personalities and the people who watch them, they are explicitly encouraged to develop parasocial relationships with them. That is a major feature of the business model because that is how monetization happens for the content creators who are largely dependent on people wanting to give them money for no reason. That is what media platforms encourage performers to cultivate because it increases viewer retention.

Giving content creators social power over their followers in the form of perceived relationships is by design. It is how the medium you watch sustains itself. It is what it is selling, that is the product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Fair enough, im new to the thread and only read the last few pages. Bad choice by me in using the word forget.