Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I haven't read any of The Promised Neverland, so...how bad is season 2 of the Netflix anime? How much poo poo did they cut?

They cut out an entire arc (the most popular one after the beginning), so multiple characters and their connected backgrounds are gone entirely. They sped through or rewrote all of the arcs after that, a bunch of small but world-building events were skipped over or replaced with worse. The entire giant final confrontation with the demon royalty was reduced to being part of a literal slideshow.

Someone at the top wanted season 2 to fail hard. Seriously. 140+ long chapters, crammed into 11 (10, if you don't count the slideshow) episodes. There was no way it was going to work without getting a third season, but WELP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

Altered Carbon is also a good example of a popular, but expensive, show getting its budget completely slashed for season 2.

Besides getting the dark warehouses and caves-treatment for sets, the writing team also dropped more or less everything that made Altered Carbon unique or interesting as a setting. For example, the only meth involved in the entire season does not make it to the first commercial break for Christs sake.

One of the worst nosedives in overall series quality between seasons in recent history that I can remember of.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There was also how every fight scene involved shooting their opponents in the stack.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I just watched 8ight After on Prime. Standard found footage movie about a couple getting haunted

0/5 stars because nobody gets got. it's an hour and thirty-seven minutes long and nobody dies. wtf is that bullshit

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

muscles like this! posted:

There was also how every fight scene involved shooting their opponents in the stack.

There’s one guy they kill off for real at the end of the scene that would have had no plot relevance either way, they just have a weird murderboner for perma death in a show ostensibly about what happens when people don’t die anymore. It was awful.

I also didn’t like the Poe return, that smacked of bringing back a character more because they were a fan favorite than it making sense with the narrative... which is ironic considering how much they have the aforementioned permakill obsession.

Also they made the martians from the book completely generic precursor aliens and had stacks be based on their tech, which was :eyeroll:

And for that matter, mining the alien metal for other planets didn’t make sense for a setting that doesn’t have FTL ship travel and people go from planet to planet by broadcasting their digitized minds through basically wormholes.

Basically I’m fine with things changing for an adaptation but Altered Carbon S2 just always changed things for the most generic option possible, or things where when the episode is done have you going “waaaait a second... that’s loving stupid”.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Memento posted:

Imagine the fuckery you could get up to with the food dispensing units.

This is pretty much the Paranoia RPG.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

HAmbONE posted:

All drama with the author aside, I loved the Altered Carbon series of books and they helped get me back into sci-fi lit. I was excited for the Netflix series and for the most part it looked good. However for reasons unknown they changed a major aspect for two of the main characters just so they could interact. Like a huge world-building foundation of the original stories just flipped on it’s head. Imagine reading the book adaptation of Star Trek: tng and the Enterprise is now a Marquis ship and Riker is loving the Captain who is the creator of the Marquis movement. Also Starfleet is a dick now.

It really annoyed me, they made the changes in S1 to streamline some characters backgrounds - S1 would have worked fine without those changes, but by making them they saddled the writers for S2 with a heap of trouble! Combined with the slashed budget, it was always going to have problems.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Schubalts posted:

They cut out an entire arc (the most popular one after the beginning), so multiple characters and their connected backgrounds are gone entirely. They sped through or rewrote all of the arcs after that, a bunch of small but world-building events were skipped over or replaced with worse. The entire giant final confrontation with the demon royalty was reduced to being part of a literal slideshow.

Someone at the top wanted season 2 to fail hard. Seriously. 140+ long chapters, crammed into 11 (10, if you don't count the slideshow) episodes. There was no way it was going to work without getting a third season, but WELP.

And no third season because Netflix?

gently caress, it's not even worth watching any of their 'made for Netflix' series poo poo since so few actually survive.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cowslips Warren posted:

And no third season because Netflix?

gently caress, it's not even worth watching any of their 'made for Netflix' series poo poo since so few actually survive.

At least they gave Sense8 a movie to close off the series after they cancelled it

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
At some point it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy like Google products -- the new one fails because it gets cancelled early because no one trusted it because the last three got cancelled early.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Why the gently caress is the sun shining inside the core of the Earth in Godzilla vs Kong

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Handmaid's Tale query: yes yes I know their entire system is flawed and not set up to maximize safe pregnancy at all. But all that said, I speak of the girl Eden who is executed by being loving drowned in a public ceremony. She's young, in her teens. Why the hell wouldn't the Commanders make her a Handmaid, set an example of her? Just because her family wanted to make an example in this way? Because it would make others less likely to run off? I mean, being a Handmaid is seen as a horrible thing, and it clearly is, no matter what KoolAid you drink, but the system is already breaking down if you're killing off possibly fertile teen girls.

Did anyone else read The Testaments? And anyone else think the entire book was loving bullshit and a cop-out that Offred's daughter Hannah was able to choose not to marry and instead become a loving Aunt?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Handmaid's Tale query: yes yes I know their entire system is flawed and not set up to maximize safe pregnancy at all. But all that said, I speak of the girl Eden who is executed by being loving drowned in a public ceremony. She's young, in her teens. Why the hell wouldn't the Commanders make her a Handmaid, set an example of her? Just because her family wanted to make an example in this way? Because it would make others less likely to run off? I mean, being a Handmaid is seen as a horrible thing, and it clearly is, no matter what KoolAid you drink, but the system is already breaking down if you're killing off possibly fertile teen girls.

Did anyone else read The Testaments? And anyone else think the entire book was loving bullshit and a cop-out that Offred's daughter Hannah was able to choose not to marry and instead become a loving Aunt?

The answer is, because of frothing misogyny, ham-fisted authoritarianism, sadism, and zero consideration for long-term consequences.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I'm pretty sure it's strongly implied that the men are actually the infertile ones too, but the women get blamed because of misogyny.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Yeah 90% of the dudes are shooting blanks but the women get blamed because of patriarchy

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009

RCarr posted:

Why the gently caress is the sun shining inside the core of the Earth in Godzilla vs Kong

You could put practically any part of that movie after “Why the gently caress” and it would be a valid question. Just a huge “meh” beginning to end.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm literally reading this thread instead of watching right now. It's so just eh.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm glad I got drunk to watch it. But when you're literally in the Hollow Earth, it's time to stop stressing yourself with such things and enjoy the pretty scenery.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The answer is, because of frothing misogyny, ham-fisted authoritarianism, sadism, and zero consideration for long-term consequences.
I've only watched the series and it felt super weird when the mighty and powerful of the rest of the world are showing up to buy handmaids as if that was really an effective way to combat the fertility crisis, especially since the rest of the world hasn't gone fully medieval? I can see why the "US" would be able to project an image of effectiveness that is not real (and how desperate people may fall for the scam), but if they can actually manage to have children by randomly raping people, shouldn't the problem be non-existant for the rest of the world, where you can just use science instead of religion to fix this?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That Italian Guy posted:

I've only watched the series and it felt super weird when the mighty and powerful of the rest of the world are showing up to buy handmaids as if that was really an effective way to combat the fertility crisis, especially since the rest of the world hasn't gone fully medieval? I can see why the "US" would be able to project an image of effectiveness that is not real (and how desperate people may fall for the scam), but if they can actually manage to have children by randomly raping people, shouldn't the problem be non-existant for the rest of the world, where you can just use science instead of religion to fix this?

They're actually just buying sex slaves from a third world country.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

That Italian Guy posted:

We don't really know what state the rest of the world is in. As far as we know Canada is the only decent country left.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

israel in a movie: come, you are welcome

israel irl: ...

In World War Z the border wall was portrayed as something good and that Israel would really help the palestines.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm glad I got drunk to watch it. But when you're literally in the Hollow Earth, it's time to stop stressing yourself with such things and enjoy the pretty scenery.

I expect my movie about a giant lizard and a giant monkey to make solid scientific sense

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Alhazred posted:

In World War Z the border wall was portrayed as something good and that Israel would really help the palestines.

In the book Israel is set up as the only country taking the walker threat seriously thanks to Mossad joining the dots way before anyone else - they announce early in the outbreak that anyone who is from the Jewish diaspora or has been previously resident in Palestine has right of return no questions asked. The viewpoint character for the chapter is a Palestinian and they get caught up in an ultra-orthodox uprising because of the policy.

I don't think it ever fully explains why they extend the policy outside the Jewish population beyond "we're going to need lots of people to survive" but it's portrayed as the government making hard decisions to secure the country long term and a catalyst for a new multi-cultural Israel/Palestine after the war.

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

Ugly In The Morning posted:

There’s one guy they kill off for real at the end of the scene that would have had no plot relevance either way, they just have a weird murderboner for perma death in a show ostensibly about what happens when people don’t die anymore. It was awful.

I also didn’t like the Poe return, that smacked of bringing back a character more because they were a fan favorite than it making sense with the narrative... which is ironic considering how much they have the aforementioned permakill obsession.

Also they made the martians from the book completely generic precursor aliens and had stacks be based on their tech, which was :eyeroll:

And for that matter, mining the alien metal for other planets didn’t make sense for a setting that doesn’t have FTL ship travel and people go from planet to planet by broadcasting their digitized minds through basically wormholes.

Basically I’m fine with things changing for an adaptation but Altered Carbon S2 just always changed things for the most generic option possible, or things where when the episode is done have you going “waaaait a second... that’s loving stupid”.

Thank you all for sharing and letting me know that I wasn’t the only one frustrated by the changes. I wasn’t going to mention the switch for Stacks from non-descript black chips to glowing vertebrae replacement (just slightly more invasive). I hadn’t even thought of the implications of using alien materials in the stack on space travel and colonization.

Oh god remember the fight scene with multiple copies that just quick activate with NONE OF THE loving TRAUMA OF RESLEEVING.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Len posted:

I expect my movie about a giant lizard and a giant monkey to make solid scientific sense

I get what you're saying but suspension of disbelief can be ruined by the weirdest things. It's why the title of the thread is what it is. Yeah, King Kong and Godzilla couldn't exist, they would shatter their own bones, they would overheat and die, they're too big. But when you go to watch the movie, you accept that as a break from reality. Every fictional property that isn't strictly realistic has those. You buy into the premise but then everything else better make some kind of sense, or at least feel plausible. Like how a completely ridiculous movie can still be ruined if people don't behave the way our experiences tell us people should behave.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

HopperUK posted:

I get what you're saying but suspension of disbelief can be ruined by the weirdest things. It's why the title of the thread is what it is. Yeah, King Kong and Godzilla couldn't exist, they would shatter their own bones, they would overheat and die, they're too big. But when you go to watch the movie, you accept that as a break from reality. Every fictional property that isn't strictly realistic has those. You buy into the premise but then everything else better make some kind of sense, or at least feel plausible. Like how a completely ridiculous movie can still be ruined if people don't behave the way our experiences tell us people should behave.

In order to get to the hollow earth kong would have been turned to paste from that fall. I've never wondered what the terminal velocity of a king kong would be until that point in time

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Len posted:

In order to get to the hollow earth kong would have been turned to paste from that fall. I've never wondered what the terminal velocity of a king kong would be until that point in time

Thought I'd give this a go. The equation I found says terminal velocity is the root of 2x weight / area multiplied by some boring coefficients. Says here King Kong 2021 is about 335 feet tall and weighs about 50,000 tonnes. This is nerds on the internet so they are probably right. A calculator online gives a terminal velocity of 265m/s so at his fastest he would be falling at about 600mph. I do not know whether an impact at that speed would kill a King Kong but it'd make a hell of a noise.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
It'd certainly splash.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

HopperUK posted:

Thought I'd give this a go. The equation I found says terminal velocity is the root of 2x weight / area multiplied by some boring coefficients. Says here King Kong 2021 is about 335 feet tall and weighs about 50,000 tonnes. This is nerds on the internet so they are probably right. A calculator online gives a terminal velocity of 265m/s so at his fastest he would be falling at about 600mph. I do not know whether an impact at that speed would kill a King Kong but it'd make a hell of a noise.

Yeah but gravity reversed halfway through so who even knows

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

JBS Haldane posted:

Gravity, a mere nuisance to Christian, was a terror to Pope, Pagan, and Despair. To the mouse and any smaller animal it presents practically no dangers. You can drop a mouse down a thousand-yard mine shaft; and, on arriving at the bottom it gets a slight shock and walks away, provided that the ground is fairly soft. A rat is killed, a man is broken, a horse splashes.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
When are people who live in areas with dangerous and/or haunted places going to learn to stop telling people "you don't want to go there"? That's going to make anyone think "I'm definitely going there".

The remake of "The Wrong Turn" is the latest example I've seen. The lady tells the guy about the secret town of mountain people that kill hikers and who probably have either killed or taken captive his missing daughter . How about just say you never saw them and let him move on? He's not going to just pack up and leave after finding that out.

edit: also can we stop with the trope of people coming to the rescue, only to get killed almost immediately?

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 19:31 on Apr 3, 2021

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The movie Cliff Hanger does not end in a cliffhanger.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

HopperUK posted:

Did you figure in wind resistance?

Also,
hOw sUnLiGhT iN cEnTeR oF eArTh?!

Do some loving research.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MariusLecter posted:

Did you figure in wind resistance?

That’s what terminal velocity is, the speed where the force of acceleration due to gravity and the force of air resistance are equal. It would actually be faster; though- I’m guessing they assumed a spherical Kong.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

In "The Ruins", it's established that salting the soil keeps the killer plants from spreading, implying it is just a plant and not some supernatural thing...so why not attack it by air with chemicals, or bomb it?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I multiplied Kong's height by 2/3rds of itself so actually I assumed a rectangular Kong. And I used one drag coefficient for air at sea level, it's all very approximate, please do not use my numbers to drop gigantic apes off of anything.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
In our house we call it 'the Giada De Laurentiis' whenever a person ostentatiously pronounces foreign words like a native speaker of that language* would while otherwise saying everything else like an American, i.e. the way Giada pronounces Italian words Americans use all the time (e.g. 'spaghetti') with the "correct" Italian pronunciation. I was just thinking of this while overhearing a youtube video of an American talking about Tibetan Buddhist concepts, pronouncing all the words like "dharma" as if he weren't from, y'know, Indiana. See it a lot with American weebs overpronouncing Japanese words, too. It's just irrationally irritating to me when someone starts out talking like an American and are suddenly possessed by a person who speaks another language for just one word and then instantly switch back to American.

*Yes I know Giada was technically born in Italy. That actually makes it more annoying.

Reference for non-US goons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB5qmlY5P2c

Imagined has a new favorite as of 22:27 on Apr 3, 2021

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

yeah i hate that movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

yeah I eat rear end posted:

yeah i hate that movie

Yeah, I'm definitely the only person to ever talk about non-movie pet peeves in this thread.