Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

misadventurous posted:

their post was better than yours for not being a dick about it

d&d is thataway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Succ Zone: Having a hard time tracking down the original source about the slave cotton

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Comrade Koba posted:

was making fun of the old “hugo boss designed the nazi uniforms!!” myth/meme that refuses to ever die but w/e

Was he not a nazi?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

spacetoaster posted:

Was he not a nazi?

Hugo boss made the uniforms, the SS designed them

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Buck Wildman posted:

d&d is thataway

im sure theres a middle ground between being a decorum libscold and being a dickhead leftist

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

Was he not a nazi?

absolutely, but no matter what the internet tells you he didn’t design their lovely uniforms

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Boss literally made the uniforms, as in he produced them, the designs were all from the nazis because, ya know, that's how things work the army doesn't just let rando designers just pitch them style books. It's a very dumb and petty difference but it does kinda matter in that 'this company worked with nazis' isn't that unique vs 'this guy actively worked with and admired the nazis'

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

woof

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Everyone was a bit guilty, some a bit more than others but that fash fashion was guilty of nothing but style

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Did Boss actually go all Ford and say 'actually Hitler's cool and gassing Jews owns'? I thought he was just kinda a typical capitalist gently caress who was fine working with whoever gave him money.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

Boss literally made the uniforms, as in he produced them, the designs were all from the nazis because, ya know, that's how things work the army doesn't just let rando designers just pitch them style books.

given that the DoD gave the navy uniforms that blend in with the water i think the military should hand the design phase off to someone with sense

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Everyone was a bit guilty, some a bit more than others but that fash fashion was guilty of nothing but style

Coco Chanel used nazism only to hone her girlboss skill

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

given that the DoD gave the navy uniforms that blend in with the water i think the military should hand the design phase off to someone with sense

they did that, as a joke

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

Did Boss actually go all Ford and say 'actually Hitler's cool and gassing Jews owns'? I thought he was just kinda a typical capitalist gently caress who was fine working with whoever gave him money.

yeah he joined the party years before they came to power

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Yea that's a fair point, god that was so wild to learn about.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

misadventurous posted:

im sure theres a middle ground between being a decorum libscold and being a dickhead leftist

let me know when you find it

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Its cause someone in the dod really hates the navy

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

Yea that's a fair point, god that was so wild to learn about.

their uniforms should be fluorescent orange with embedded EPIRB beacon

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Its cause someone in the dod really hates the navy

I do like the idea that the constant thread of 'navy uniforms keep actively killing navy people, like through multiple iterations they've had this problem' is just DoD policy being 'gently caress them boat losers'.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

sexpig by night posted:

According to the wiki he had slaves working in his factories during the war and was a sponsoring member of the ss.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Truly, the fascists have the outfits.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Comrade Koba posted:

absolutely, but no matter what the internet tells you he didn’t design their lovely uniforms

I never said that though. :shrug:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
army uniforms: normal rear end things you'd wear for army poo poo.

air force uniforms: dumb little fancy boy outfits but not really an active danger to anyone they just look dumb and lame.

marine uniforms: also dumb little fancy boy outfits but less lame than air force, also not literally life threatening at least.

navy uniforms: send my regards to your family you dumb boat moron

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

spacetoaster posted:

According to the wiki he had slaves working in his factories during the war and was a sponsoring member of the ss.

uh oh!

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
have we considered that the purpose of the navy is to combat the threat posed by Water and these uniforms can trick the water

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

Is anyone shocked that the German company that made uniforms for the nazis

ho ho they're right, egg on your face koba

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Buck Wildman posted:

all of those require hierarchy to have meaning and enforcement goofus. you're vindicating everyone saying that anarchists are just constantly re-inventing the state and acting like they've made some brilliant epiphany for doing so because in your imagination this time it works out for you, like everyone's gonna say "oh wow yeah" and just voluntarily fall into line

you think it isn't hierarchy when the people doing all those things are you or the people you trust to agree with you, like any other libertarian. when that isn't the case you scream self-defense and violently retaliate, again just like libertarians do with their NAP bullshit. you're ridiculous and just trying to justify some fantasy world where you get to do whatever you want and that somehow works because you're so obviously right and good. I would never trust any community with people like you having a dominant voice in it, because you seem incapable of even acknowledging what you are, with your lynch mob mentality whenever someone doesn't toe the line of your gentlemen's agreement or whatever "system" you think will keep this from falling to self-interested pieces before human nature sorts itself out

There's an amazing amount of reaching in this post. It's like you've invented an entire backstory from a couple posts. Did barbarians murder my whole village? Did I pledge my soul to the Ancient Dragon Lords so long as they helped me slay the Barbarian King? What the gently caress are you doing? I've made 3 posts about anarchism and didn't even say I was an anarchist in any of them, yet you say all... this about me as if you know poo poo all.

To lay all my cards on the table I've read a few historical anarchist works because I've been increasingly convinced that preventing abuses of power is a fundamental struggle for leftism regardless of capitalism or not, and anarchists are the ones most focused on studying power and how to prevent its abuses. In my brief studies I've discovered that there's a heck of a lot more to anarchism than the bullshit you associate with it, including a long tradition of thought and debate that I think is well worth studying whether or not it ultimately leads one to call themselves an anarchist. Complain all you like about whoever hurt you so deeply you project them onto everyone you vaguely perceive as an anarchist all you like, but if you're going to drag anarchy with them then you're failing to separate some individuals/factions from an entire field of thought.

And I don't care too much about deciding which ideology contains the true form of utopian society right now when I'm pretty sure the immediate problem we face is a refusal to even attempt a utopian society. AND I don't feel like I know enough myself to confidently state that I am an adherent to any complete ideology right now. I don't think I know anywhere near as much as you think I think I know. All I really know is I loving hate how our world works now. I have what I need for myself, which still has me living in poverty, but it's honestly enough for me. But the world as it is makes me mentally and emotionally sick for what it does to so many other people and I want us to actually, genuinely work towards something better. I have to compartmentalize my thoughts to block out the world as I go about my days just to function, and if I'm allowed any selfish goal, being able to think about the world I live in without feeling sick or mad is something I'd like to see. I've looked into it enough to know some ideas how it might be done but nowhere near enough to know how it definitely should be done.

The only fantasy I have for the world is every human being able to live a life of dignity, under a society whose first priority is seeing to the welfare of every person within it and having that NOT be undone by the formation of an overclass that twists society into serving their needs over everyone elses like the society we have now. I don't, and pay attention to this, give a gently caress about "freedom". I would care about what freedom is supposed to protect, but all I've ever seen freedom protect is the ability for the elites to gently caress everybody else. I just don't blindly believe that bowing down before a leftist power is just magically going to make it a good power. Even if it's a necessity for achieving immediate goals, we should still be wary of such a power and probably set about figuring how best to spread that power and responsibility about as much as we can. And if we don't, if we allow there to be some kind of power and everybody else, then the everybody else portion of humanity is eventually going to get hosed.

Your read of me is so loving wrong it legitimately made me mad just in itself.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

Turns out that's very common and happened a lot in Nazi Germany.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

misadventurous posted:

A new enlightened centrist was born today

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

I do like the idea that the constant thread of 'navy uniforms keep actively killing navy people, like through multiple iterations they've had this problem' is just DoD policy being 'gently caress them boat losers'.

"oh what you want a new boat, rear end in a top hat? you want a new boat to float around on and be gay with your boyfriends on? fine have the fuckin zumwalt, its fuckin water soluble. idiots. gently caress you"

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

spacemang_spliff posted:

my only criticism is that you should have yelled at them harder

how the gently caress do you go to a bunch of leftists and say "IDK the proud boys seem alright" and not get thrown out or laughed at

I had woken out of a fitful sleep and was hungover, this was the first thing I saw on regaining consciousness. As I mentioned in the email I'd just joined after having moved cross country and had basically no other social circle but DSA kids so I was unsure of my footing. And I still spun myself up from 'Ok so I'm gonna try to be respectful here, link to their statements, but forgive me if I get hot' to 'You know what, man? Just gently caress your self.' in the space of one email.

spacetoaster posted:

You were just too mean?

Yea pretty much. I called 'out', instead of calling 'in', a JAQ-er for the Proud Boys, on this email thread created specifically to organize the chapter driving out to the Proud Boy Rally to scream cursewords at and maybe get in a fight with them. Then again, could be I COMPLETELY misjudged what the plan was. Boy, would I have had egg on MY face if I'd headed up and then yelled "Why doncha come here and eat my poo poo, you loving fash virgin!" at people who were merely allies in our struggle.

Sorry for the DSA derail, all I wanted to say was the one person who unironically, unashamedly, unreservedly called themselves an anarchist was the most self-sabotaging, blame externalizing, solipsism narcissist I've met.

Buck Wildman posted:

you think it isn't hierarchy when the people doing all those things are you or the people you trust to agree with you, like any other libertarian. when that isn't the case you scream self-defense and violently retaliate, again just like libertarians do with their NAP bullshit. you're ridiculous and just trying to justify some fantasy world where you get to do whatever you want and that somehow works because you're so obviously right and good.

This was my experience. There are right wingers raised up in the church who hear nothing but love thy neighbor and give to the poor and left wingers raised up as red diaper babies who hear nothing but solidarity and sacrifice and sharing, but if that person is a loving narcissist it's gonna end up just being a cloak of signifiers they've learned that they can exploit to be holier/leftier than thou and deflect criticism.

Phigs posted:

Also the people going "my only experience with anarchists are complete loving morons" are doing the same poo poo the media does when they only show interviews of morons and/or unwashed hippies to represent anti-war movements and the like.

Dude, you've got to admit that an ideology that requires concentrated study and reading before you arrive at what it 'really' means other than 'worlds off my back, no one tells me what to do, and everyone I know wants to do what I want to do' is gonna draw a disproportionate amount of fuckheads who will never do that study/reading while running around declaiming everything they do in the name of anarchism. And it's not the world's job to discern the True Scotsmen among them.

And there's a wide, WIDE difference between the lived experience of someone and a cherry picked news segment. I'm not going around, spending a year of my life involving myself in one lefty sphere or another so I can get burnt by a nutbar anarchist, specifically so that I might smugly own a different anarchist four years later on a message board.

PipHelix has issued a correction as of 22:46 on Apr 3, 2021

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

paranoid randroid posted:

"oh what you want a new boat, rear end in a top hat? you want a new boat to float around on and be gay with your boyfriends on? fine have the fuckin zumwalt, its fuckin water soluble. idiots. gently caress you"

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

nah I’m still right, pushing back against that dumb meme is never wrong even if it wasn’t specifically mentioned. you’re welcome. :smugbert:

Comrade Koba has issued a correction as of 22:42 on Apr 3, 2021

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

lol if you think I'm reading all that, I know what you are

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

sorry but if u write a post that includes the phrase “lynch mob mentality” and arent literally talking about lynch mobs im gonna think youre kind of a dick regardless of your point or ideology

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Buck Wildman posted:

lol if you think I'm reading all that, I know what you are

Cool.

I'm genuinely thankful for this post so I can stop caring.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
aoc was vat-grown to always be a bad liberal, do not attempt to rationalize it as her being corrupted

i also believe pelosi was lying when she said she wanted uhc 30 years ago

politicians will say anything to get the job and then its mask off and oops cant do anything about all these 4-month-olds we're genociding

PipHelix
Nov 11, 2017

Raskolnikov38 posted:

their uniforms should be fluorescent orange with embedded EPIRB beacon

You could color them with the dye used in rescue markers. Just you know, don't wash em. How stinky could a metal box full of 20 year olds get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

you cared enough to spend the last hour or something drafting your dissertation