Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

bull3964 posted:

Looks like there may be more evidence that the Pixel 6 will be using a Google/Samsung collab SoC.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2021/04/02/the-pixel-6-could-take-on-the-next-iphone-with-a-custom-google-processor/

XDA developer echoing the sentiment:

https://twitter.com/MishaalRahman/status/1378059180624506891

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I'm excited even though I know it probably won't bet the SD888 in raw benchmarks which will cause a bunch of people to dismiss it.

I said last fall that the reason why Google likely went with the SD765G in the Pixel 5 is to start disassociating devices from their spec sheet. Looks like we'll get to see how what goes this fall.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Realistically, what's the upside here aside from longer update support?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

With the way people poo poo on Exynos despite it being perfectly fine I can't imagine a custom chipset going well for Google PR wise unless they knock of out of the park and beat Snapdragon at least.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Incessant Excess posted:

Realistically, what's the upside here aside from longer update support?

They are the ones writing the HAL so there's a possibility the device will be better optimized across the board.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

With the way people poo poo on Exynos despite it being perfectly fine I can't imagine a custom chipset going well for Google PR wise unless they knock of out of the park and beat Snapdragon at least.

What does "beat" mean in this case? Google's already shying away from the flagship SoCs, there's a lot of leeway in "competes with midrange Snapdragon processors."

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

sleepwalkers posted:

What does "beat" mean in this case? Google's already shying away from the flagship SoCs, there's a lot of leeway in "competes with midrange Snapdragon processors."

I think the key point is power efficiency rather than peak performance. Eyxnos hasn't always been competitive in that regard, especially in times.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

sleepwalkers posted:

Exynos gets non stop poo poo for being slightly less efficient than Snapdragon outside North America. Like I work for an online tech retailer in Australia and people ask if we have Snapdragon Samsungs constantly.

The actual performance is identical but people HATE that other regions are getting the same phone with a better chip. It's all psychological and tech media already pounces on Pixel for everything.

Maybe it matters a bit if you're a gamer I guess but I've been using Exynos phones since the s10 and can't tell the difference.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Ah thats a shame. I was looking at replacing my P3 with this years Pixel but I sure as hell am not going to buy a phone with a 1st gen Google processor

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Sereri posted:

Ah thats a shame. I was looking at replacing my P3 with this years Pixel but I sure as hell am not going to buy a phone with a 1st gen Google processor

People are gonna get Google'd.

Barring anything exceptional with the Pixel 6, I'll likely sell my P4XL and upgrade to the P5.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Well this is strange. On my Pixel 5, the Play Store for my work profile has switched over to the layout without the hamburger menu (everything is accessed by tapping on your picture), but for my own profile it's not still the old way!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

LG is officially out of the phone biz, no longer a rumour.

http://www.lgnewsroom.com/2021/04/lg-to-close-mobile-phone-business-worldwide/

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
:rip:

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I'm looking for a new phone. I have an S9+ that I immediately cracked the screen on day 2 of ownership. And a few weeks into ownership the pictures started being blurry/lense flarey no matter how much I cleaned the glass, finally cracked it and am over it.

I really enjoyed the Samsung active line for the bigger battery and rugged shell, never had issues, but they cancelled that line. So I'm trying to figure out what is next. I need a big battery, good hardware, and durable. I dont need this curved screen pretty phone poo poo people want. The "durable" phones seem to be all chinese offbrand stuff with weak hardware.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Slow is Fast posted:

The "durable" phones seem to be all chinese offbrand stuff with weak hardware.

The functional difference between a "durable" phone and a normal phone with a chonkey case is nearly zero.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

As you've concluded, there isn't a durable phone that's worth a poo poo so just discount them.
Durability wise, they're all about the same. The only marginal differences are in waterproofing ability and what the back material is.
The pixel 4a (no waterproofing) and Pixel 5 are probably about the sturdiest with that in mind. Jerryrigeverything gave the 4a his pick as the most durable, if that means anything to you.

Whichever phone you get you'll want to ruggedize with a good case.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Slow is Fast posted:

I'm looking for a new phone. I have an S9+ that I immediately cracked the screen on day 2 of ownership. And a few weeks into ownership the pictures started being blurry/lense flarey no matter how much I cleaned the glass, finally cracked it and am over it.

I really enjoyed the Samsung active line for the bigger battery and rugged shell, never had issues, but they cancelled that line. So I'm trying to figure out what is next. I need a big battery, good hardware, and durable. I dont need this curved screen pretty phone poo poo people want. The "durable" phones seem to be all chinese offbrand stuff with weak hardware.

Thankfully, they're moving away from curved glass. Thank God, because it sucked.

Get an Otterbox and a Samsung s-line or a pixel.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

I had a friend who really liked LG phones. They eventually had to get an iPhone because their workplace had a required app that is only on the Apple App store.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Didn't LG make the Nexus 4? Loved that phone.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

And HTC is somehow limping along.

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 5, 2021

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

And HTC is somehow limping along.
LG shuttering their phone business is like cutting a few hairs off your head. HTC cutting their phone business would be like cutting off your head.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's pretty much inevitable at this point though. I can't imagine they have much of a phone business left.

They have 3 current phone models in the US market. Three.

A SD845 device, SD835 device, and SD630 device.

Their most recent device for the US market is almost 3 years old at this point. The U12+ came out in June of 2018.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I thought HTC had only been licensing their name to some unrelated manufacturer for the past year or two anyway

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The level at which the UW in the OP9P shits on other UW in low light is kind of insane.

I don't have any shots yet that I want to share in a public place, but night mode side by side with the S21U in extreme low light isn't even in the same universe.

I mean, it's kind of the same way the zoom in the S21U shits on other zooms.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Apparently the April Pixel patch boosts GPU performance on the P5 and 4a5g by as much as 50% in certain situations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

bull3964 posted:

I don't have any shots yet that I want to share in a public place, but night mode side by side with the S21U in extreme low light isn't even in the same universe.

Does ultrawide make it look bigger or smaller?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Well, a couple pages later and my phone seems like it really is finally dying on me, so I guess that's another on my string of expensive necessity purchases for this month.
Do good phones with removable batteries even exist any more? I know there were a string of decent to good ones back in 2016ish but looking for options those seem like the last wave that's not flimsy underpowered junk for the time it was released (let alone 5 years later).
Failing that I'll have to look for something else I guess. Going to have to switch service providers at the same time, so at least not limited on that (as long as I get my number to transfer).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Twerk from Home posted:

Does ultrawide make it look bigger or smaller?

Har. I just don't want to share pictures of friends online in a public place. I'll wait until I get a chance to shoot some landscape shots.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/suka_hiroaki/status/1379153849559179264?s=19

turns out "performance improvements" as patch notes is actually real lol

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

i'm not sure this is the right spot to post this, but it also didn't seem appropriate for the Haus.

i still have a pixel 1, which is in good shape aside from some battery issues and scratches. however, yesterday i noticed that i can no longer reply to any of the conversations i have open in Hangouts - the field where i would enter text to send is just gone. i have tried rebooting the phone, as well as signing out and back in and checking any other options i could find.

the weirdest part is that this is also happening on my computer! i sign in to gmail, can view the conversations, but i still have no reply option, just like on my phone - i scroll to the most recent message, and then i can't scroll down any further. i use this feature constantly; any suggestions appreciated, tia.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
i assume you're a GV user? this happened to everyone. hangouts is for hangouts messages only now. install google voice or use messages if you're on fi

yeah, it sucks, sorry

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

oh, well poo poo. at lest there is a simple answer to my question, thank you.

e: wait, does that also mean i can't send/receive messages through gmail anymore? what's the solution for pc?

Chard fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 6, 2021

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Chard posted:

oh, well poo poo. at lest there is a simple answer to my question, thank you.

e: wait, does that also mean i can't send/receive messages through gmail anymore? what's the solution for pc?

The Google Voice website, unfortunately.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

*the RLM 'endless trash' bit but mike is surrounded by deprecated google products*

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
to be fair, they have been plastering warnings about this everywhere, for, uh, years lol.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My google messages app and SMS messages are all fucky after the April update. I can't send any texts and nothing is appearing in the app :(

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Clear data and try again?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Wait they're slowly reappearing. Wtf. It's like it had to rebuild the sms database or something? That's so weird. A text I typed and hit send on then vanished 5 minutes ago just reappeared and sent. Wtf.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

CLAM DOWN posted:

Wait they're slowly reappearing. Wtf. It's like it had to rebuild the sms database or something? That's so weird. A text I typed and hit send on then vanished 5 minutes ago just reappeared and sent. Wtf.

Magic texts, it's the latest in Google's many-pronged messaging approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

CLAM DOWN posted:

RCS got a little fucky for me a couple of days ago, but it cleared itself up. Updates in the background, maybe.