Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Everyone forgets that Horizon Zero Dawn doesn't actually have a ':' in the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Morpheus posted:

Everyone forgets that Horizon Zero Dawn doesn't actually have a ':' in the title.

It's the reverse-Spiderman problem.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I've put about 20 hours into Horizon Zero Dawn now, and it really should have been named Robot Hunter World. Makes way more sense and actually describes what you spend most of your time doing.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Ted Faro's Robopocalypse

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
If we actually had to name things after actual stuff in the game we would be missing out on so many good or bad names.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
The bus that couldn't slow down

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Plumber takes shrooms and jumps on turtles

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Robot men vs conspiracies

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

They Hate Us Because We Have Freedom

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The stealth system in HZD feels kinda half-baked. I guess it's more noticeable coming back from falling into the MGS franchise, but it doesn't really feel consistent enough about how enemies are going to react to be of much use. I'll usually throw a few rocks and get a stealth kill or two, but then it just disintegrates into a full alert and combat because someone saw me what feels like way out of their expected line of sight.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

what feels like way out of their expected line of sight.

Facts don't care about your feelings

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Thing dragging Dark Souls 3 down: something broke my save file and is causing constant crashes. But because it's a crash that's flared up this late in the game's life nobody is paying enough attention to help fix it, and because nobody has any idea what caused it, not even restarting the game and rerunning back to the same point will help, because I don't know what to avoid.

Dark Souls 2 never did this to me!

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I quit playing Horizon for a year after the young Aloy tutorial part because it made me think that the stealth was going to be a huge part of the game. Instead the stealth quickly became irrelevant for machines and absurdly overpowered but dull for humans.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Thing dragging Dark Souls 3 down: something broke my save file and is causing constant crashes. But because it's a crash that's flared up this late in the game's life nobody is paying enough attention to help fix it, and because nobody has any idea what caused it, not even restarting the game and rerunning back to the same point will help, because I don't know what to avoid.

Dark Souls 2 never did this to me!

Share your PC configuration

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

I love how throwing rocks to turn people away from you became an expected feature of the PlayStation exclusive as a genre

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Basically what I'm saying is, the game would be better if Aloy also found an ancient rocket-powered prosthetic fist which people and machines mysteriously don't notice as it flies around and incapacitates them.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Every game would be better with rocket fists, that's an obvious statement.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Vic posted:

Share your PC configuration

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070, an Intel i7 processor, 8 GB of RAM, two monitors (one Samsung, one Dell), and no problems running any other game whatsoever.

Hell, even my old Dark Souls 3 save runs smooth. It's just the new save file that's hosed. So something in it's doing something bad, but I can't tell what, which means I can't avoid it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Cleretic posted:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070, an Intel i7 processor, 8 GB of RAM, two monitors (one Samsung, one Dell), and no problems running any other game whatsoever.

Hell, even my old Dark Souls 3 save runs smooth. It's just the new save file that's hosed. So something in it's doing something bad, but I can't tell what, which means I can't avoid it.
Did you get invaded before this happened? Used to be a problem that people would drop hacked Items that would crash the game in Dark Souls 1

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Gaius Marius posted:

Did you get invaded before this happened? Used to be a problem that people would drop hacked Items that would crash the game in Dark Souls 1

Plenty of times, they're the only people having fun in this game because everyone just trying to progress through it finished already except for me. But the crashes happen across three different areas of the game and only happen in loading screens, so it can't be a hacked item lying in some corner; it's getting tripped up by something when loading my character (since that's the only constant between the Cathedral of the Deep, Firelink Shrine, and the Catacombs of Carthus).

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Persona 5 Strikers:

The game combines Dynasty Warriors style "slaughter your way through entire armies" gameplay with Persona's battle system- most importantly, it retains the SP stat, limiting how often you can use your magic.

The issue is that you cannot control your AI teammates, and they are more than happy to spam their spells as much as they can. This is an annoyance when exploring the dungeons, as the game doesn't penalize you for leaving to get a fullheal, but it becomes extremely frustrating during bosses, as you can switch to your healer only to find that they have less than 10% of their SP left because they kept hitting the boss with their neutral spells or spamming their buffs/debuffs.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

serefin99 posted:

Persona 5 Strikers:

The game combines Dynasty Warriors style "slaughter your way through entire armies" gameplay with Persona's battle system- most importantly, it retains the SP stat, limiting how often you can use your magic.

The issue is that you cannot control your AI teammates, and they are more than happy to spam their spells as much as they can. This is an annoyance when exploring the dungeons, as the game doesn't penalize you for leaving to get a fullheal, but it becomes extremely frustrating during bosses, as you can switch to your healer only to find that they have less than 10% of their SP left because they kept hitting the boss with their neutral spells or spamming their buffs/debuffs.

It doesn’t penalize you but the fact the checkpoints where you can leave and come back in don’t have an option to just fully heal you and respawn the enemies is some :psyduck: poo poo. It would save two load screens. That game really doesn’t respect the players time in a lot of ways.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That game really doesn’t respect the players time in a lot of ways.

persona.txt

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Death Stranding keeps spamming you with messages that a structure is deteriorating, but half the time it's a ladder which no one cares about. The other half is a structure that's taken maybe 10% damage.

Also I wish you could have autopilot on the ziplines and save routes. It's pretty tedious having to press x every minute or so once you get you zip highway up.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Shooting with a bow and arrow is really awkward in the Walking Dead; The Final Season. In any other game you have to hold down the trigger button to draw the string, but in this game you shoot the arrow just by by pressing it.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Thundercracker posted:

Also I wish you could have autopilot on the ziplines and save routes. It's pretty tedious having to press x every minute or so once you get you zip highway up.

It's mind-numbingly tedious to even use ziplines. You can't turn off controller vibration in DS so you can't even put your controller down onto table to save your hands from that constant vibration from ziplining. What a crappy mechanic that makes the more developed, interesting, engaging and central to the game mechanics obsolete.

Sininu has a new favorite as of 22:24 on Apr 4, 2021

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

On my second run I'm going to have to force myself not to use the ziplines too much, because I really used them heavily the first time around and I want to make it more difficult for me

Oh and ninety hours in, I'm still salty that you can't grab things when you're on a motorcycle

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

i clicked into the wrong thread, can the thing dragging this clip down be that i cut it too short?

https://twitter.com/EvilBillMurray/status/1378840850382299138?s=19

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Divinity OS is a rough game in terms of overall approach to design, with a level of obtuseness I'd expect from a mid 90s crpg, but the whole crafting & blacksmithing feature is just such tedious bullshit that I can't believe a single play-tester would've engaged with it and said "yeah, looks good as is" instead of "no, completely overhaul this no one will want to do any of this"

I've seen a lot of bad crafting mechanics in games, but overall D:OS might actually be the worst.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

bony tony posted:

On my second run I'm going to have to force myself not to use the ziplines too much, because I really used them heavily the first time around and I want to make it more difficult for me

Oh and ninety hours in, I'm still salty that you can't grab things when you're on a motorcycle

The motorcycle thing might've been a mechanical limitation, but it absolutely would've enhanced the game and made motorcycles relevant once you unlock trucks. It would've been a great gameplay element trying to ride close enough to packages to grab them without running them over and ruining them.

I feel like overall, motorcycles were a little half assed. Your weight ceased to matter the moment you got on one.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

serefin99 posted:

Persona 5 Strikers:

This becomes way less of a problem later when you have a billion healing items that can be used instantly mid fight, but one broken mechanic fixing a bad design decision is not really a positive.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

on persona 5 strikers, the mid-gameplay dialogue is incessant to the point of absurdity. the game is paced such that roughly 5 different triggers for lines will happen per second in a fight, but futaba still repeats lines about a boss's strengths or weaknesses five minutes into the fight, or that a character is low on SP when they have been low on SP for the last three fights, or any number of other things that do not need to be spammed and repeated. this is happening during every single second of every fight, including optional bossfights that take 10 minutes to kill.

add to that too many lines when you're just running around not in a fight (an obligatory two lines after every single trash fight you finish in a single ambush + all out attack, lines every time you're near a checkpoint, lines about the fact that no enemies are nearby) and it's just goddamn exhausting. story bosses even have conversations going on at the same time too, when you're focused on playing to pay attention to them. there is never a quiet millisecond in this game.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

pentyne posted:

Divinity OS is a rough game in terms of overall approach to design, with a level of obtuseness I'd expect from a mid 90s crpg, but the whole crafting & blacksmithing feature is just such tedious bullshit that I can't believe a single play-tester would've engaged with it and said "yeah, looks good as is" instead of "no, completely overhaul this no one will want to do any of this"

I've seen a lot of bad crafting mechanics in games, but overall D:OS might actually be the worst.

You mean you don't enjoy that the first step to crafting a magic scroll is to use a knife on a pillow?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

on persona 5 strikers, the mid-gameplay dialogue is incessant to the point of absurdity. the game is paced such that roughly 5 different triggers for lines will happen per second in a fight, but futaba still repeats lines about a boss's strengths or weaknesses five minutes into the fight, or that a character is low on SP when they have been low on SP for the last three fights, or any number of other things that do not need to be spammed and repeated. this is happening during every single second of every fight, including optional bossfights that take 10 minutes to kill.

add to that too many lines when you're just running around not in a fight (an obligatory two lines after every single trash fight you finish in a single ambush + all out attack, lines every time you're near a checkpoint, lines about the fact that no enemies are nearby) and it's just goddamn exhausting. story bosses even have conversations going on at the same time too, when you're focused on playing to pay attention to them. there is never a quiet millisecond in this game.

This can be funny in old Dynasty Warriors games. There will be objectives like "Defeat Zhang He within 10 minutes" for secret unlockables, so you'll complete all the objectives required to make Zhang He appear in two minutes, but then there will be five minutes of talking heads discussing all the stuff you just did before he actually shows up.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

This can be funny in old Dynasty Warriors games. There will be objectives like "Defeat Zhang He within 10 minutes" for secret unlockables, so you'll complete all the objectives required to make Zhang He appear in two minutes, but then there will be five minutes of talking heads discussing all the stuff you just did before he actually shows up.

This is a big pain in the rear end in the Xenoverse games. You beat Goku or whoever up in ten seconds and then have to listen to all the chatter while his temporarily-invincible rear end beats on you, or maybe you have nothing to do until the next fighter finally jumps in.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Also the triggers in xenoverse seem to have a random chance, so every time you beat Krillain playing as Freiza, Goku MAY do the event where he goes all "I won't let you... get AWAY... with this!!" and goes super saiyan so you can fight SSJ Goku, or you may just beat him as normal Goku and not get the chance to get the item for the challenge "Beat SSJ Goku", and even if you fight him the item has a 30% chance of dropping anyway so you have to grind the same fight over and over to get a cool attack or dragonball to drop. I never bothered getting all the dragonballs in Xenoverse 1 because I couldn't be assed to grind the fights.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Xenoverse 2 is otherwise fast paced and the plot is pretty light and the audio mixing is not great and occasionally somebody will read a line with the wrong voice so I don't know why dialogue always takes priority.

More irrationally I'm annoyed that the title screen tries to sell the game as 90s edgy while everything else is faithful to the goofiness of the franchise.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Horizon Zero Dawn: in some of the audiolog-heavy areas, the audio logs and Aloy's dialog (especially when a certain spoiler character is chiming in) will sometimes step on each other. I don't think I missed anything too important, but this seems like something they should have been able to anticipate.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

StandardVC10 posted:

Horizon Zero Dawn: in some of the audiolog-heavy areas, the audio logs and Aloy's dialog (especially when a certain spoiler character is chiming in) will sometimes step on each other. I don't think I missed anything too important, but this seems like something they should have been able to anticipate.

Related - played some Hitman 3 last night and while trying to talk to someone important, an ancillary conversation nearby sort of overrode the plot conversation I was having, and was absolutely impossible to try to understand what the person was saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Morpheus posted:

Related - played some Hitman 3 last night and while trying to talk to someone important, an ancillary conversation nearby sort of overrode the plot conversation I was having, and was absolutely impossible to try to understand what the person was saying.

This is a frequent problem in all of the new Hitman games. Diana in particular is infamous for blurting out stuff while other people are talking.