Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i wish you could recycle floating cargo boxes or w/e for some return on mats like you can do in prey. but titanium isn't exactly tough to come by anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
there's junk piles and there's wrecks. when you see a wreck you'll know

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Kenny Logins posted:

i wish you could recycle floating cargo boxes or w/e for some return on mats like you can do in prey. but titanium isn't exactly tough to come by anyway

yeah, no recycling method which is a little odd given how the fabricator works. but eh, resources aren't actually that scarce in the game.

there is a garbage can that deletes items you don't want.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

haveblue posted:

there's junk piles and there's wrecks. when you see a wreck you'll know
yeah i got a radio quest beacon for a Wreck. but it's still cool to have a source for blueprints close. and being close to kelp forest is big time useful for first aid kits to mitigate those exploding crashfish fuckers

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Kenny Logins posted:

i think of prey's recycling system so often, goddamn what a good game

y'all are making me want to play subnautica again, loved having my greenhouse cylinder with cuddlefish friends

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

problem with cuddlefish is they don't breed.

i had a three-story cylinder full of thirty mesmers and another one full of hoverfish :3:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

psiox posted:

i think of prey's recycling system so often, goddamn what a good game
it's a simple but satisfying and well-executed mechanic.

the game was already quite good without it but it put it over the top for me

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
there's an achievement for recycling yourself with a grenade

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
lockerchat: discrete knapsack vs continuous knapsack is literally np vs p but maybe devs didnt realize this. it is an extremely unintuitive game design footgun

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

all problems in p and np are discrete in every sense that matters, *unary* knapsack is in p.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuous_knapsack_problem

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
this isn't really a knapsack problem, the hard part (deciding what is worth keeping and what has to go when it's full) is pushed onto the player as part of the game challenge and the computer's only task is to do the bookkeeping and report when space remaining < size of item to be added

I don't think subnautica lets you freely place items either, it's just a grid that fills up slowly or quickly

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
right, dont give players npcomplete problems to go and solve

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

more like the continuous beltline problem!!!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

right, dont give players npcomplete problems to go and solve
i miss your unabomber and safety not guaranteed avatars

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

ah, my bad!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

that mistwalker fantasian game is out now, played through the intro and got some ffvii vibes which is to be expected

slightly related, if you are an Apple Arcade haver, they added a bunch of remastered versions of some older mobile games

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
is apple arcade worth it

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

it’s $5/month and supports family sharing

if you look at the list of games and can find a couple you’re interested in it’s probably worth a month or two

it’s basically apple’s game pass

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

If anyone fancied dipping into Elite Dangerous there's a 'Publisher Weekend' on Steam right now and the base game (I think including the current Horizons 'land on planets' DLC etc) is only a fiver

https://store.steampowered.com/app/359320/Elite_Dangerous/

The FPS 'walk around on station & planets' DLC is launching later this year, which I will be reinstalling to take a look at.

edit: I asked about Fallout 76 earlier and Fanatical have it for 75% off at the moment, apparently the next big update launches April 14th and adds a bunch of stuff that will appeal to single-playery types like me.

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/fallout-76

quote:

Purchase now and get the Wastelanders update on 14th April!

Some of the major changes coming in Wastelanders include:

New Main Quest and Revamped Original Main Quest – Uncover the secrets of West Virginia by playing through an all-new main quest as well as a revamped original main quest line – with friends or solo – starting from the moment you leave Vault 76. New and veteran players alike will take on new missions, explore new locations and fight with (or against) the new faces that have made their long-awaited return to West Virginia.

etc
For just a hair over a tenner I can't complain too much if it doesn't click for me.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 3, 2021

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

it looks like that's the update notes from 2020 but it's not wrong; wastelanders plays like a beefy dlc/tc to the base game and was still a good dozen hours of play for a maxed out character if you wanted to cover both endgames

combined with the base quests and retooled ones it felt like the game fo76 should have been. the raiders get a rad base that was just begging for something cool to be there in the original game :hellyeah:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

oh lol good job Fanatical not putting a year on that date :o: I guess at least if I buy it I'm not waiting until the 14th to play with all the new bits added then.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
lmao ive been ignoring this thread for months because i thought it was for people named james and it just occured to me today it could be about gaming

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Corla Plankun posted:

lmao ive been ignoring this thread for months because i thought it was for people named james and it just occured to me today it could be about gaming

mods probe this non-James pls

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I'm jame and I'm here to game.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

PokeJoe posted:

I'm jame and I'm here to game.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Corla Plankun posted:

:ssh:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
disco elysium feels like a pen and paper rpg session with a bunch of drunk people

that’s not an experience I’ve actually had IRL but I’m sure it would be very familiar

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

haveblue posted:

disco elysium feels like a pen and paper rpg session with a bunch of drunk people

that’s not an experience I’ve actually had IRL but I’m sure it would be very familiar

i am incredibly jealous of how interesting the people you hang out with on the regular must be.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Corla Plankun posted:

I’m actually the only one allowed to post here and I just assume graph is behind on all the permabans in this thread

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

nice try we all know you're one of the rare few with "jimmy" on the birth certificate

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

I'm playing red dead redemption 2. it's fun.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

nice try we all know you're one of the rare few with "jimmy" on the birth certificate
you get a free pass itt achmed jomes

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Achmed Jones posted:

James Jocular Testes the III, esq.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I am playing the Elite Dangerous Odyssey premium alpha. it's janky and I can't afford a good space suit yet or a gun

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

does odyssey essentially turn it into no mans sky or what? it’s been a while since I’ve paid attention to elite dangerous

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
the alpha doesn't give you a ship so it's hard to say. right now it's kinda focused on raiding bases and combat. but you can be sneaky instead of shooty. there's also 0 threat missions like picking up documents or fixing the power generator.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
subnautica chat got me playing that again, still a good game, almost glad i completely lost my old saves

also picked up an x-com game i never played on sale, 'x-com apocalypse'

after going down a linuxhole trying to get dosbox to run it successfully with a good midi soundfont i have given up on that poo poo. i think that game was some kind of half-dos half-windows abomination that did weird poo poo for 3D semi-acceleration

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX8gbqALgg8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Oh cool never saw that boxart before