Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
All I need now is Reiwa UltraSeven confirmed for 2022 and I will officially transcend as a toku fan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Motto posted:

I guess you could call it wasted potential, but it doesn't just underutilize things, it barely uses them at all.

This is my major problem with it, yeah. It sets up some really interesting ideas and then just does nothing whatsoever with the vast majority of them. A few of them I can understand like Koyomi being missing from most of the plot because of her actor's availability and the Underworld fights being a pain in the rear end on the budget, but then you get to, like... Dragon as a character gets completely dropped from his outright threat to consume Haruto if he overuses his power to suddenly mellowing out entirely so Infinity can exist, I don't think Kousuke ever actually suffers any onscreen ill effects of his pact with Chimera, the White Wizard hardly has any impact in his screentime until the very end, we have no genuine mystery with Wiseman prior to the reveal because he just exists at the camera every now and again and he feels more there for Medusa to reconfirm her goals than be a greater villain. There are absolutely scenes and even entire episodes that stand out as incredibly legitimately good (Phoenix's last episode, Infinity's debut, the episodes with Kousuke's grandmother that made Shunpei actually likeable for a brief time, Beast's role in the ending), but for so much of Wizard I was thinking there'd be something that gets called back to that'll kickstart some good poo poo and it just never happens, at all.

At least with Ghost being bad it was because the decisions being made by the show were glaringly terrible. Wizard essentially embodies furious mediocrity where it repeatedly picks up pieces of its own incredibly cool concept and tosses them to the side so what little of Haruto's personality that exists can get stifled again. Never gonna stop loving its aesthetic though, I kinda want a Land Style Figuarts to go with my Beast.

Junpei posted:

I for one loving loved Kyuranger and I will defend most of it (I do like Lucky but I can understand why people don't like him and won't begrudge anyone who does hate him)

Kyuranger does many cool things but it's definitely dragged down by the weight of its own scope, which unfortunately includes its ending arc. When I call it lower-end it's still a fairly distant one from the bottom-tier set of Sentai since Gokaiger.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Apr 3, 2021

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
W and Fourze have almost the exact same amount of plot development. Frankly, W's is goofier because they're detectives who can't work out the screamingly obvious reveal until the last cour. And Fourze and W both get hijacked by the secondary rider's revenge plot for weeks on end.

Relatedly, "nothing happens after Shauta" is, like... OOO is about vibes. Every performance decision Miura makes as Ankh in the show is worth it to watch. People pay too much attention to Build-style plot momentum when the Foundation X trilogy was always about the characters.

I will concede that OOO has really uninteresting fights, especially bookeneded by W's dynamic form usage and Fourze's incredibly characterful wirework.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Seeing Kiramage Silver in the Opening and...well, do other 6th rangers that are put into the Opening have, for lack of a better term, Itchy and Scratchy and Poochie Show vibes?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I might be blind to pacing issues with W as compared to Fourze as we went through W at our own pace as compared to watching a show as it airs, but I feel like neither Terui nor Ryuusei really bugged me in terms of taking over the plot. I do recall my partner did complain a bit about some of the Meteor stuff, but I feel like that was more the silliness of him being so distrustful and distant from the super pure of heart scooby gang.

As for OOOs, I feel like mid section is what I hear the most complaints about there being nothing going on, but it's got such a strong cast and the plot does eventually go somewhere and it has one of the better finale/wrap ups of any rider show I've seen. Comparing it to Build's momentum seems really unfair, as that show had so little to say with its characters that they rehashed the same conflict between the leads endlessly. One of them loses the will to fight/questions their own motives/resolves. That gets resolved? Let's do it over again! They're lucky they're so cute.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ_lXEqw2z4

Ultraman Zero and Juggler show up and do a pretend fight before a CPBL (Chinese Professional Baseball League, based in Taiwan) game..

Not even at the level of a decent stage show but I guess you can't really stage a decent fight on a baseball diamond.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Shaezerus posted:

This is my major problem with it, yeah. It sets up some really interesting ideas and then just does nothing whatsoever with the vast majority of them. A few of them I can understand like Koyomi being missing from most of the plot because of her actor's availability and the Underworld fights being a pain in the rear end on the budget, but then you get to, like... Dragon as a character gets completely dropped from his outright threat to consume Haruto if he overuses his power to suddenly mellowing out entirely so Infinity can exist, I don't think Kousuke ever actually suffers any onscreen ill effects of his pact with Chimera, the White Wizard hardly has any impact in his screentime until the very end, we have no genuine mystery with Wiseman prior to the reveal because he just exists at the camera every now and again and he feels more there for Medusa to reconfirm her goals than be a greater villain. There are absolutely scenes and even entire episodes that stand out as incredibly legitimately good (Phoenix's last episode, Infinity's debut, the episodes with Kousuke's grandmother that made Shunpei actually likeable for a brief time, Beast's role in the ending), but for so much of Wizard I was thinking there'd be something that gets called back to that'll kickstart some good poo poo and it just never happens, at all.

At least with Ghost being bad it was because the decisions being made by the show were glaringly terrible. Wizard essentially embodies furious mediocrity where it repeatedly picks up pieces of its own incredibly cool concept and tosses them to the side so what little of Haruto's personality that exists can get stifled again. Never gonna stop loving its aesthetic though, I kinda want a Land Style Figuarts to go with my Beast.

This sums up my opinion perfectly.
Wizard is like Zio. Both have glaring and even grating problems, but when they hit the highs they go for they’re dang good.

Fully my opinion, but I feel like Gaim was the first Rider where the toys were starting to get too heavy for the plot. The ones before that were toyetic obviously, but while watching Gaim was the first series that I watched where I felt like the toys were getting in the way.

I hope the W anime is good. I’d love more double.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It hasn’t gone up on the site yet but it was just revealed at the 50th anniversary press conference that Hideaki Anno is writing and directing Shin Kamen Rider, a movie that's gonna be released in 2023.

Anno did Shin Godzilla and Shin Ultraman (coming later this year) and they both are pretty subversive and interesting takes on the franchises so it'll be really cool to see what he does with this, especially given it has more than a year of production time.

Official website: https://shin-kamen-rider.jp/

Judging by the image that pops up it seems like it’s basically Kamen Rider The First Version 2.0 (though with Anno involved it’ll likely be better than The First anyway)

That said, I wonder how they’re going to spin the original Kamen Rider story this time

Larryb fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Apr 3, 2021

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

It's been a long time since I've tried to suffer through Wizard so correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't one of it's issues was that due to it's setup, the villains literally could not make progress? That if Haruto failed even once he would fall into despair and then Dragon would take over and escape? So they kept making the aforementioned 'negative progress' because the show would have been over otherwise?

God, I remember being so hyped for Wizard before it's release. His suit design was slick as hell and W / OOO / Fourze had been a mostly solid series of shows. Wizard should have been able to knock things out of the park. :negative:

Larryb posted:

It hasn’t gone up on the site yet but it was just revealed at the 50th anniversary press conference that Hideaki Anno is writing and directing Shin Kamen Rider, a movie that's gonna be released in 2023.

Anno did Shin Godzilla and Shin Ultraman (coming later this year) and they both are pretty subversive and interesting takes on the franchises so it'll be really cool to see what he does with this, especially given it has more than a year of production time.

Judging by the image that pops up it seems like it’s basically Kamen Rider The First Version 2.0

This is the best fuckin' news to wake up to, holy poo poo.

Larryb posted:

That said, I wonder how they’re going to spin the original Kamen Rider story this time

If we're going off of Shin Godzilla rules, the movie is going to largely consist of the heads of Shocker sitting around Shocker HQ discussing how best to handle Kamen Rider. Every so often it cuts to the quarry and we see Kamen Rider kicking a monster into next week, before cutting back to Shocker HQ and all the Shocker heads debating what to do next.

I am one hundred percent down for this.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Larryb posted:

Judging by the image that pops up it seems like it’s basically Kamen Rider The First Version 2.0 (though with Anno involved it’ll likely be better than The First anyway)

The website is down... it must be getting hammered.

Interesting point:

"
During the Kamen Rider 50th Anniversary press conference, Toei Productions revealed the Shin Kamen Rider movie which will be directed and written by Hideaki Anno, known for his work in Neon Genesis Evangelion, Shin Godzilla, and the upcoming Shin Ultraman movie.

Hideaki Anno commented on the production of Shin Kamen Rider:

“It’s been six years since production began. Due to changes in production because of the Coronavirus, the release of the film has been pushed to two years away. Thank you for your patience.”

So he was working on this while he was still working on Shin Godzilla which I find wild.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Unlucky7 posted:

Also, my only hope for the W sequel anime is that they get the 15 ft man that did the Gaia Memory sound-offs again.

Fumihiko Tachiki I think is his name, and he is almost a 100% guaranteed bet to return to do voicework. I think he even does ad voiceovers for Rider shows.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Vandar posted:

It's been a long time since I've tried to suffer through Wizard so correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't one of it's issues was that due to it's setup, the villains literally could not make progress? That if Haruto failed even once he would fall into despair and then Dragon would take over and escape? So they kept making the aforementioned 'negative progress' because the show would have been over otherwise?

i mean it's more that people turning into phantoms would kill them and kr very much didn't want to kill people at that time

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wonder if we’ll eventually get a Shin Goranger in a few years (Sentai is pretty close to its own 50th anniversary after all)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr77oI4DP1E

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Junpei posted:

Wizard killed the "all two-parters all the time" style that Double/OOOs/Fourze had gotten started, which I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing.

As a casual watcher, it's a great thing. I loved Fourze, but I had to stop watching weekly for a while because the all two-part structure just dragged things to a crawl.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Tsuburaya will just treat Shin Ultraman as yet another alternate universe that can be hand-waved away by Zoffy with a casual 'oh we know about him but we just don't ever visit that universe.. or need to'

Or Zero will host another Heroes Odyssey and say he'll visit the Shin universe in 20,000 years

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Junpei posted:

Wizard killed the "all two-parters all the time" style that Double/OOOs/Fourze had gotten started, which I'm not sure if that's a good or a bad thing.

Didn’t help that a lot of monster of the week just ambled slowly offscreen after taking a good beating and Haruto being like :effort: despite his bike being literally behind him or him literally flying in using wind style.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
dang that Shin Kamen Rider art is cool

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/TokuNation/status/1378439210156318723

https://twitter.com/tokushoutsu/status/1378438981692448776

https://twitter.com/tokushoutsu/status/1378438195617034241

Toei woke up

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
If we're talking about bad Sentai I suppose I'll re-up my assertion that Gekiranger is actually terrible even though its final fight is one of the most well-choreographed fights in any toku I've ever seen..

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It is now someone's job to translate Aruto jokes.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Kamen Rider Christmas right here

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Junpei posted:

Kamen Rider Christmas right here

Seriously, drat.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Literally the one series I least want on bluray. All the other shows that are allegedly as bad or worse I at least haven't seen yet

might get it anyway to encourage this kind of thing.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Really hope they didn't have high sales expectations for Zero-One cause lord is it going to sell badly

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Depending on the price I might buy the 01 one, I am not denying the flaws of the show but I really enjoyed the first 1/3 and last 1/3.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
It's ultimately gonna come down to pricing for me. If the bluray(s) are priced reasonably, I'll absolutely buy it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Really hope they didn't have high sales expectations for Zero-One cause lord is it going to sell badly

I think you have a wild misapprehension of how well 01 is regarded in the wider english-speaking toku fandom.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah, this thread has a pretty minority opinion.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

people love Izu, they love the MBJN gang, it's anime as gently caress, people like it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, this thread has a pretty minority opinion.

DoctorWhat posted:

people love Izu, they love the MBJN gang, it's anime as gently caress, people like it.

This is what I picked up when I clicked through to the comments of the Zero-One streaming/bluray tweets, but it's still nice to see I'm not alone in thinking the show is good.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I'm buying to just show support

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

King of Solomon posted:

This is what I picked up when I clicked through to the comments of the Zero-One streaming/bluray tweets, but it's still nice to see I'm not alone in thinking the show is good.

It isn't good-good but it has some sick designs and it is very entertaining (imo).

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

RBX posted:

I'm buying to just show support

Very likely same.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/suekichiii/status/1378301679330676737?s=20

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

poor shin :(

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

DoctorWhat posted:

I'll agree it's anime as gently caress, but Appleseed (2004) did a better job of a "human tensions run high over a breed of workhorse replicants who are programmed to assist society."

There's the weird part about how giving the robots full lifespans will also allow them to gently caress, but yeah nevermind that.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Rampage Vulcan's first fight alone makes the show good. The Kill All Humans Squad and Izu are just icing on the cake.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday
Zero-One was a bad season, but a fun one. Love the jingles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/TokuSatoOficial/status/1378724401097637890?s=20

Zi-O is coming to Pluto in Brazil