Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Bam Bam Bigelow was in the New Blood in 2000 even though he was at the very first Survivor Series in 1987.

According to Wikipedia, so was Bret Hart.

I mean he was a top guy for a good while, and WCW was paying him 3 million a year. Pretty sure Bret was on that same Survivor Series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Wow, I don't remember Bret Hart being in the New Blood at all, and he'd stopped wrestling by then because of Goldberg-induced concussions.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Bam Bam Bigelow was in the New Blood in 2000 even though he was at the very first Survivor Series in 1987.

Shane Douglas debuted in 1986. He was also 35 in 2000.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

RC and Moon Pie posted:

"And Ric Flair has been holding me down all 14 years in the business!"

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I remember Bret ostensibly being a heel, but every time he showed up he played to the crowd and got a pop so who knows? No one else was over so you take what you can get I guess?

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I just realized that Hogan actually had a jacket that (basically) said 'gently caress U New Blood'. And how that works on multiple levels.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
He also had one that said FUBAR as in “gently caress U Bischoff And Russo” because Vinny has a permanent erection for abbreviations and acronyms.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I remember Bret ostensibly being a heel, but every time he showed up he played to the crowd and got a pop so who knows? No one else was over so you take what you can get I guess?

Listen, bro, there are no faces and heels, bro.

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Honestly, it looks more and more like Goldberg had more of a claim to New Blood than most of the New Blood.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

He also had one that said FUBAR as in “gently caress U Bischoff And Russo” because Vinny has a permanent erection for abbreviations and acronyms.

That works better than 'FUNB' at least.
And I feel like 'gently caress U New Blood' is something he could have worn at any time in his career.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

FUNB, an acronym that just rolls off the tongue.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I believe that was MIA.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

It works for Hogan at many stages of his career

gently caress Unions Now Brother

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!
“hosed Up ‘Nee, Brother.”

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
gently caress U, NTR Bubba.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Angry_Ed posted:

gently caress U, NTR Bubba.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
loving Uppity

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
Found Ulrich's New Bassist

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

This is a great story

https://twitter.com/38Godfrey/status/1379816589260902404

https://twitter.com/38Godfrey/status/1379817064798502915

https://twitter.com/38Godfrey/status/1379817994151456770

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/WCWWorldwide/status/1382365002133245956

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, it was a whole thing. He nunchuked Nick Bockwinkel so hard it turned him face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL2Al-jmeCo

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 14, 2021

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Larry looking like Eric Bischoff cosplay.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

"Lethal Weapon" Larry Zybysko

Or maybe just "Lethal Larry"

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I never followed his wrestling career but whenever I saw WCW commentator Larry Zbysko, he came off as both terribly full of himself and incredibly uninteresting to listen to. It was like a super lame uncle at a family gathering who tells you how much cooler and better everything he did was in his prime.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I watched WCW and never paid attention to Larry Zbyzsko until they made him a character in one of the video games, where he had what seemed like a very old-school moveset. I saw the match where he put Erich Bischoff in a guillotine from guard, and I was like, "I recognize that move, but in wrestling isn't he pinning himself?" Teenage me didn't know a lot about pre-boom wrestling, and I figured he must be some old-schools shooter and like 10-20 years older than he actually was.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 14, 2021

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Larry Zbyzsko cheats at Scrabble.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
For some reason, Larry was really over as an announcer in WCW, often leaving the booth while Schiavone was addressing the camera, to acknowledge the Larry chants.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I know there was a lot of death, discrimination, harassment, career sabotage, etc. during the Monday Night Wars. But the fact that WCW did not once put together a Zybzyko Inferno tag team may be that era's biggest tragedy. A topic for DSOTR season 5?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

iamsosmrt posted:

I never followed his wrestling career but whenever I saw WCW commentator Larry Zbysko, he came off as both terribly full of himself and incredibly uninteresting to listen to. It was like a super lame uncle at a family gathering who tells you how much cooler and better everything he did was in his prime.

In some of those retro Nitro reviews, Alvarez quickly put into words what always annoyed me about Zbysko's better-than-thou schtick- dude knew the booking plans and kept giving away stuff, only as "predictions" to make himself look smart.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

D.N. Nation posted:

In some of those retro Nitro reviews, Alvarez quickly put into words what always annoyed me about Zbysko's better-than-thou schtick- dude knew the booking plans and kept giving away stuff, only as "predictions" to make himself look smart.

Yeah, Zybysko was one of the worst kind of ex-wrestler commentators who was mostly there to put himself over.

As far as his in-ring stuff goes, I honestly haven't seen much of it save his Enforcers/Dangerous Alliance early 90s WCW stuff but he was a really good stalling heel of the old school. I think he and Arn gelled as a tag team better than Arn and Bobby did, which felt like it should have been a layup but was just... fine? Granted I'm biased as the Enforcers versus Dustin Rhodes and a mystery partner that turns out to be a returning Ricky Steamboat is genuinely one of my favorite tag matches ever but I honestly never saw Arn/Bobby click like I would think but Larry Z felt like he had more similarities to Tully so Arn could bounce off him better.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Zbyszko has been a bastard for a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfFB0S-3bq4

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kosmo Gallion posted:

For some reason, Larry was really over as an announcer in WCW, often leaving the booth while Schiavone was addressing the camera, to acknowledge the Larry chants.

It's because he was one of the few people who got to mouth off to the nWo without getting punked out as part of the plan to do feuds with Bischoff and Scott Hall.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Kosmo Gallion posted:

I wonder how much of that was just the result of a hot crowd wanting to chant something close to "Jerry" when Jerry Springer was a huge deal.

I always thought he came off of as a pompous prick and not in a good, on screen character related way.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I used to hate it when Larry Zbysko would turn around and mug to the crowd.

Little kid me never knew why he was so over. I just knew that he was the boring smug commentator, that I didn't like.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

It's because he was one of the few people who got to mouth off to the nWo without getting punked out as part of the plan to do feuds with Bischoff and Scott Hall.

Did the nWo have heat with Larry over it?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Did the nWo have heat with Larry over it?

No he was friends with Scott Hall that's why they did a 7 month feud.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I started watching wrestling in late 1993. Not long after, WCW had a storyline where Lord Steven Regal picked a fight with announcer Zbyszko, setting up Zbyszko challenging and upsetting Regal for the TV title in May 1994.

He was portrayed as an old man in the feud that it's still bit surprising to me to think that he had been a full-time active wrestler on WCW's roster as recently as two years earlier.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I started watching wrestling in late 1993. Not long after, WCW had a storyline where Lord Steven Regal picked a fight with announcer Zbyszko, setting up Zbyszko challenging and upsetting Regal for the TV title in May 1994.

He was portrayed as an old man in the feud that it's still bit surprising to me to think that he had been a full-time active wrestler on WCW's roster as recently as two years earlier.

He was 41 so now we can all list how many wrestlers on Wrestlemania were older than Larry Legend.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

He was 41 so now we can all list how many wrestlers on Wrestlemania were older than Larry Legend.

Bobby Lashley (44)
Tamina (43)
AJ Styles (43)
Shane McMahon (51)
John Morrison (41, same age)
Randy Orton (41, same age)
Sheamus (43)
Edge (47)

This doesn't seem that bad in terms of total people, but: Lashley has a belt and is the headliner on a brand, Styles has a belt, Sheamus has a belt, Edge won the Rumble, Orton was in the main event throughout 2020, and if you lower it to 35 or so it's waaaay worse. For what it's worth, Mania competitors/"competitors" 30 and under:

Liv Morgan (26)
Ruby Riott (30)
Mandy Rose (30)
Omos (27)
Bad Bunny (27)
Sasha Banks (29)
Alexa Bliss (29)
Logan Paul (26)
Rhea Ripley (24)

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Flair, Backlund, and Lawler are all roughly the same age so when they were in the WWF in 1992, they were ~42.