Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It was basically "White Savior: The Film" but that Russo flick with Chris Hemsworth as a mercenary had some really good action sequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I liked love death and robots, Glow, and season 1 of Altered Carbon. They greenlit stuff that wouldn’t see Tv and I appreciate that. Plus horny gambling anime.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Gatts posted:

I liked love death and robots, Glow, and season 1 of Altered Carbon. They greenlit stuff that wouldn’t see Tv and I appreciate that. Plus horny gambling anime.

Love, Death, and Robots seems like it would be right at home on Adult Swim.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Just saw Onward so I wouldn’t get it spoiled by the Pixar behind the scenes documentaries. A lot of fun, beautiful performances, and just enough of the world that things makes sense without the Cars “Wait, how does any of this work?”

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

I just watched part one of World on a Wire. Amazing experience, watching those themes being explored for what I guess is the first time in cinema history.

Ah, yes yes yes!

Such striking compositions, rich art design, and visual style. The downbeat 70s, slow heady dreaminess may not be for everyone but perfectly it targets my stimulation circuits.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Reading the past few pages has felt like that "What have the Romans done for us" Monty Python sketch.

Anyway that new Snyder Zombie film is also on it's way.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

ynohtna posted:

Ah, yes yes yes!

Such striking compositions, rich art design, and visual style. The downbeat 70s, slow heady dreaminess may not be for everyone but perfectly it targets my stimulation circuits.

Same. Love the decision to have it set in the then-present day. No namby-pamby "this is what COULD happen!", just RWF saying flat-out "this is what is happening now." Relentlessly chilling but at the same time, comfortable in that heady, narcotic way. I think it's that 70s aesthetic where the environments are so imposing and angular but the people are, at least on the exterior, so fluffy and sedate. And the Fleetwood Mac song over the credits? Italiano-fingers-smooch!

What I struggle with is, and remember I'm only halfway through the whole thing, is this question: is the audience supposed to suspect that Stiller is in a simulation from the get-go, or did I just pick up on that because it's become such a cliche by now? Or am I not giving the movie enough credit? The revelation at the end of part 1 and Stiller's reaction to it strike me as so bizarre, because throughout the whole thing, Stiller is behaving as if he's in a simulation and knows it. Like the completely inhuman way he reacts to the woman getting crushed. The twist, if you can call it that, at the end is so anticlimactic, because the whole point seems to be that it doesn't matter, at least not to him, if he's actually in a simulation or not: by treating AIs that are essentially human as expendable commodities, actual humans begin to seem the same way. The subtext appears to be that the purpose of the simulation is to use AI scenarios to avoid another rise of Nazism, but in so doing they have just become Nazis again. I should probably watch part 2 before I ask anything else. But I feel pretty confident in saying that spiritually, aesthetically, philosophically, it's more Phil K Dick than any of the official adaptations of his work that I've seen. Captures the emotional gravity of Dick's ideas in a way that, for example, Ridley Scott failed to do with Blade Runner.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

SHIN

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

KAMEN

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

RIDER

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Its gonna be like Shin Ultraman and Shin Godzilla, same concept and creative team.

Not like the already existing movie called Shin Kamen Rider.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Anno is gonna end his career with Shin Evangelion.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

On one hand I’m a little antsy about how anno seems to be becoming the “call me if you want a dark and moody riff on classic tokusatsu” guy rather than doing his own original projects, but on the other hand, Shin Kamen Rider

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

hell, :same:. if id ever say I’m not hype for shin ultraman or shin kamen rider I’d be lying to you

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Absolutely stoked to see a cyborg bugman kick nazis in half

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Making a spooky tombstone:

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FreudianSlippers posted:

Making a spooky tombstone:

consider me spooped

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gripweed posted:

Its gonna be like Shin Ultraman and Shin Godzilla, same concept and creative team.

Not like the already existing movie called Shin Kamen Rider.

call me when Anno makes Shin Super Sentai

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
New Stargate cinematic reboot lookin’ WILD.

https://twitter.com/SaadAbedine/status/1378480578773852166

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Youse should all watch the OG Shin Kamen Rider from 1992:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL2XWMFUFvg

In which Kamen Rider is a hideous bug monster with a really gnarly transformation sequence.

It's not without its problems but its good fun if you like Tokusatsu in general.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The director of the new Mortal Kombat has never directed a film before? Or anything? How do you land that job? I'm not saying MK is quality material, but it's odd.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/LessShot/status/1375616700205428738?s=19

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Alec Eiffel posted:

The director of the new Mortal Kombat has never directed a film before? Or anything? How do you land that job? I'm not saying MK is quality material, but it's odd.

He's a sought-after commercial director hired to direct what is essentially a commercial.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I’m watching The Graduate for the first time and it’s way funnier than I expected.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Alec Eiffel posted:

There was actually an article about this very question published last month lol https://www.cbr.com/mortal-kombat-star-wars-commercial-simon-mcquoid/

It's actually hilarious.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

teagone posted:

There was actually an article about this very question published last month lol https://www.cbr.com/mortal-kombat-star-wars-commercial-simon-mcquoid/

It's actually hilarious.

lol when an utterly unremarkable but expensive star wars Duracell commercial is the mark of a distinctive style

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Alec Eiffel posted:

Fede Alvarez made a short cgi movie about robots and got evil dead.

poo poo happens like that all the dang time

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Happy Easter, goons
https://youtu.be/DsqGiN-e5iM

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

Netflix UK calls Better Call Saul an original so every episode after the title sequence you get a few seconds of silence with a no-effort “A Netflix Original Series” screen and it’s very annoying

I believe Netflix actually financially backed its initial release though, and the subsidized production with AMC helped it to get greenlit. Maybe I'm mistaken though.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

I tried watching this and ... couldn’t.

I can’t quite say I feel bad for Jamie Kennedy, but this story about him being duped into being in an anti-abortion movie is ... something.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Geekboy posted:

I can’t quite say I feel bad for Jamie Kennedy, but this story about him being duped into being in an anti-abortion movie is ... something.

https://twitter.com/PFTompkins/status/1378735005891850247

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Please keep Son of the Mask chat to SonoftheMaskDome

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Geekboy posted:

I tried watching this and ... couldn’t.

It sounds less like he was duped and more like he was absolutely desperate for work and was completely apathetic to everything else. It is kind of funny that of all people Jaime Kennedy is being grilled about it like it even loving matters.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

CPL593H posted:

This is the ultimate guide to Massachusetts accents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3s_LbK_xDs

Note how he pronounces the "or" sound. Most people think it sounds like "aw" but it usually doesn't. I can't spell it phonetically. The Boston accent is very inconsistent in a lot of ways.

It is inconsistent but one small trick is that except for people with really thick accents, or certain words that get more stress on the syllable (often if it's the last syllable), there is a slight hint of the "r" sound in there. It's mostly dropped but not always, and that little bit is usually what sells the authenticity.

Like when he says "more" and "contemporary" you can hear a bit of an "r" in those middle syllables. However, it's completely dropped for "under."

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

TrixRabbi posted:

It is inconsistent but one small trick is that except for people with really thick accents, or certain words that get more stress on the syllable (often if it's the last syllable), there is a slight hint of the "r" sound in there. It's mostly dropped but not always, and that little bit is usually what sells the authenticity.

Like when he says "more" and "contemporary" you can hear a bit of an "r" in those middle syllables. However, it's completely dropped for "under."

I never noticed how I sound until people started pointing it out and now I'm hyper aware of how I mangle the poo poo out of words that have an "R". Especially when I'm in a more casual situation because occasionally I'm more conscious of it and won't sound like "I just had a heaht attack when you stuffed the cahdboord in the cah.".

ONE POSTER IN PARTICULAR THINKS I SOUND HILARIOUS AND HE KNOWS WHO HE IS.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

CPL593H posted:

PAHK THE CAH AROUND THE CORNAH FRAHM THE BAHBECUE

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Geekboy posted:

PAHK THE CAH AROUND THE CORNAH FRAHM THE BAHBECUE

I don't say "from" like that. Suck it!

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CPL593H posted:

I never noticed how I sound until people started pointing it out and now I'm hyper aware of how I mangle the poo poo out of words that have an "R". Especially when I'm in a more casual situation because occasionally I'm more conscious of it and won't sound like "I just had a heaht attack when you stuffed the cahdboord in the cah.".

everyone thinks boston accents are hilarious. In fact I'm laughing at you right now! Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I guess this is slightly on topic, I watched My Fair Lady for the first time last night. There's a lot to say about that film, but relevant to the discussion,

CPL593H posted:

I just had a heaht attack when you stuffed the cahdboord in the cah."

By right you should be taken out and hung
For the cold-blooded murder of the English tongue