Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Detective No. 27 posted:

Cyborg still needed Superman's strength to pull apart the mother boxes. And it didn't look like Superman did it effortlessly.

SUperman's also the only reason Cyborg got a shot at entering it to begin with.

They simply didn't have time on their side. Cyborg needed to deal with the boxes and Aquaman and Wonder Woman needed Cyborg to deal with Steppenwolf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I went and saw Affleck's Dare Devil during a period when I was extremely depressed and seriously considering suicide. I decided to be more outgoing and try to have more friends. A group of casual friends we going to see it and I went with them. After the movie I used the bathroom, as you do, and when I came out they had all forgotten I was there and left.

I feel terrible for laughing at this

I hope you're feeling better these days! :glomp:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

They were also really, really struggling with Steppenwolf prior to Superman turning up, the only reason they got that sick fatality on him at the end was because he punched off all of his seemingly inpenetrable armour that had deflected every other attack against it throughout the film. Without Superman just brutalising him for a couple of minutes there was no trident through the back or decapitation

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I went and saw Affleck's Dare Devil during a period when I was extremely depressed and seriously considering suicide. I decided to be more outgoing and try to have more friends. A group of casual friends we going to see it and I went with them. After the movie I used the bathroom, as you do, and when I came out they had all forgotten I was there and left.

Heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in a threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says, 'Treatment is simple. Great movie Daredevil is in town tonight. Go and see it. That should pick you up.' Man bursts into tears. Says, 'But doctor…it's capeshit.' Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Jerk McJerkface posted:

If it makes you feel better, they probably just got so pumped by Evanescence that they had to raid a gym

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

If they didn't bring Superman back though, they wouldn't have needed to split attention because Steppenwolf wouldn't have had all three boxes. The time pressure was self-inflicted.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Bringing Superman back was an act of faith, and one that turns out was the right call, in the end (and after some light time traveling)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

josh04 posted:

If they didn't bring Superman back though, they wouldn't have needed to split attention because Steppenwolf wouldn't have had all three boxes. The time pressure was self-inflicted.
Bats says they just have a delaying tactic by moving the box around, not a way to win

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

josh04 posted:

Prior to the resurrection they were in a stalemate position. They can't beat Steppenwolf, but Steppenwolf can't find the third box. The third box is waking up, but they can keep moving it around. As Bruce says, though, "That's a strategy to lose slowly." Bringing back Superman is a leap of faith to turn a stalemate-to-losing position into a victory.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

FilthyImp posted:

Bats says they just have a delaying tactic by moving the box around, not a way to win

It's so hard to make a movie with the Flash in it because the answer could always be "lure Steppenwolf to a place and have the Flash ram something into him at meteoric speed making him explode"

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

FilthyImp posted:

pospysyl posted:

Prior to the resurrection they were in a stalemate position. They can't beat Steppenwolf, but Steppenwolf can't find the third box. The third box is waking up, but they can keep moving it around. As Bruce says, though, "That's a strategy to lose slowly." Bringing back Superman is a leap of faith to turn a stalemate-to-losing position into a victory.

I get it, but once "bring back Superman" is on the table Bats really isn't countenancing any other strategy. He's desperate for that leap of faith against all reason.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think it's pretty easy to see it as Batman hearing it's possible and desparate to do it to make up for his actions out of guilt.

Sort of like in BvS how he immediately jumps into action to save a woman with the same name as his mom.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Probably my favourite thing about the whole resurrection sequence is how increasingly angry Batman gets at anyone expressing doubt. Telling Aquaman to shut up lol

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
There's a decent movie buried somewhere in Affleck Daredevil but you really gotta hunt for it and the film as a whole is pretty rough.

The costume is pretty good even if the mask is a little wonky. Colin Farrell and MCD I liked a lot and they make the most of the most of what they have. Ben wasn't as bad as I expected. There was some interesting stuff going on with the pain pills, the sensory deprivation tank and the way they depicted the radar sense. A few of the fights were pretty cool -- the one in Josie's Bar in particular.

But they piled so much stupid bullshit on it that totally overpowered the stuff they got right. The CGI was over the top. There was a ton or cornball crap (playground fight. "DD" logo made of fire. The music video scenes. Paper clip killing)

Similar to a lot of DC movies, I think they tried to cram too much poo poo into it as well and that dragged down the plot and the overall experience. Maybe save Elektra and/or Bullseye for the sequel. We didn't get enough of Matt being a lawyer, the conflict that him being DD creates for his friends and his career. Tonally it was just all over the loving place and Garner was loving terrible.

It's one of those flims I'll rewatch from time to time expecting it to be better than I remembered only to have it confirmed that it did, in fact, suck pretty bad. The director's cut is an improvement but still not good. I'd say maybe a third of it is a decent enough watch.

Thank god we got the Netflix series which mostly nailed everything.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

BiggerBoat posted:

There's a decent movie buried somewhere in Affleck Daredevil but you really gotta hunt for it and the film as a whole is pretty rough.

The costume is pretty good even if the mask is a little wonky. Colin Farrell and MCD I liked a lot and they make the most of the most of what they have. Ben wasn't as bad as I expected. There was some interesting stuff going on with the pain pills, the sensory deprivation tank and the way they depicted the radar sense. A few of the fights were pretty cool -- the one in Josie's Bar in particular.

But they piled so much stupid bullshit on it that totally overpowered the stuff they got right. The CGI was over the top. There was a ton or cornball crap (playground fight. "DD" logo made of fire. The music video scenes. Paper clip killing)

Similar to a lot of DC movies, I think they tried to cram too much poo poo into it as well and that dragged down the plot and the overall experience. Maybe save Elektra and/or Bullseye for the sequel. We didn't get enough of Matt being a lawyer, the conflict that him being DD creates for his friends and his career. Tonally it was just all over the loving place and Garner was loving terrible.

It's one of those flims I'll rewatch from time to time expecting it to be better than I remembered only to have it confirmed that it did, in fact, suck pretty bad. The director's cut is an improvement but still not good. I'd say maybe a third of it is a decent enough watch.

Thank god we got the Netflix series which mostly nailed everything.

Oh God no, anything beyond the first season was more dire than the movie, including the big crossover where Daredevil was somehow worse than Iron Fist.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Darko posted:

Oh God no, anything beyond the first season was more dire than the movie, including the big crossover where Daredevil was somehow worse than Iron Fist.

I'm crippled by the weight of all the content Marvel expects you to consume. I just can't even be bothered to keep up with it. I find myself more interested in re-watching Seinfeld or Parks and Rec rather than starting on the path of trying to keep up with the MCU. I'm almost relieved that there's no more DCEU to deal with.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I'm crippled by the weight of all the content Marvel expects you to consume. I just can't even be bothered to keep up with it. I find myself more interested in re-watching Seinfeld or Parks and Rec rather than starting on the path of trying to keep up with the MCU. I'm almost relieved that there's no more DCEU to deal with.

Marvel stealth rebooted things that matter and its just Wandavision and Falcon and such now. Despite my misgivings with them, they are better than the other stuff because they aren't stretched as far in episode order.

Jessica Jones would have been brilliant if it wasn't double the size it needed to be and had the villain constantly getting away to extend it over and over.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ferrinus posted:

A rewatch of this movie really underscores what an incredibly bad idea resurrecting Superman was. Like, the power trio of Wonder Woman, Cyborg, and Aquaman definitely could have just beaten Steppenwolf toe-to-toe and that would've been the end of it.

If you look on the Second Coming with more fear than awe, then frankly you need to get right with God before Judgment Day does come.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Darko posted:

Jessica Jones would have been brilliant if it wasn't double the size it needed to be and had the villain constantly getting away to extend it over and over.

they really should've done a few one off procedural type episodes of Jones just taking cases before ramping up to the Killmonger stuff

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

josh04 posted:

Yeah. Even if the box eventually woke on its own such that Steppenwolf could lock on and come for it, I think they could have just fought him to a standstill. The Superman-less JL actually did quite well even with the time pressure the Unity presented.

This would also be an act of faith of sorts, but it's one that doesn't directly reverse Batman's greatest sin, soo...

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

Yeah. Even if the box eventually woke on its own such that Steppenwolf could lock on and come for it, I think they could have just fought him to a standstill. The Superman-less JL actually did quite well even with the time pressure the Unity presented.

This would also be an act of faith of sorts, but it's one that doesn't directly reverse Batman's greatest sin, soo...

Couldn't break the box apart even going inside without Zeus level power, which even WW doesn't have. Superman is the last one on earth (besides Flash, different story) with old God level power that can be applied directly.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Darko posted:

Marvel stealth rebooted things that matter and its just Wandavision and Falcon and such now. Despite my misgivings with them, they are better than the other stuff because they aren't stretched as far in episode order.

Man ain’t that the truth. Every one of those Netflix seasons were at least twice as long as they should have been. It’s kind of a shame because the Daredevil and Luke Cage actors were pretty decent.

One reason I like Snyder’s DCU stuff is that it moves around and stays pretty interesting. There is actual character development occasionally. The only interesting thing to happen in the MCU in years imo, is the Falcon and Winter Soldier went to Night City, and it was visually interesting.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Jessica Jones is a great five hour show that takes ten hours to watch. Luke Cage and The Punisher are the same.

Daredevil was a bit better paced in the first season.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

well why not posted:

Jessica Jones is a great five hour show that takes ten hours to watch. Luke Cage and The Punisher are the same.

Daredevil was a bit better paced in the first season.

Daredevil season 1 had three or four episodes that were mostly flashbacks while nothing happened in the present. It was absolutely way too loving long.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I forgot that Jon Favreau was Foggy Nelson in the Daredevil movie.

Jessica Jones S1 was something that I felt was so well done, I never watched anything else because I felt continuing the story beyond that point would devalue the first season. Which by all accounts I was right on about.

I did watch Daredevil S2 and that was like, half pretty good and half... not. I do remember laughing a lot that the conclusion was that the Hand were... digging a big hole. I did think that Elodie Yung was a pretty good Elektra.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
I've fallen off the Disney+ Marvel stuff not because it's terrible, but I realized I just didn't care. Wandavision seemed to interest people mostly in the hope that it would all mean something or Dr Strange or Mr Fantastic or Howard the Duck or whoever would show up, and then they didn't and the story just kind of fizzled out.

And I never cared about cameos or whatever and the small story of someone's grief became some (badly shot) punching and lasers and then ended telling us to tune in next time for Dr Strange 2 and I was done.

With F&WS, I just still don't care. There's flag smashers and Zemo and US Agent and I just don't care what happens. I stopped a few minutes into ep 3, once again not because it was terrible, but because nothing interested me and so I bailed, because you don't actually have to watch these shows.

If the show was about Falcon's sister and her money troubles, I would be more down, but a badly done spy story? Pass.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
Jessica Jones has some powerful liberal energy, but I will insist that seasons 1 & 2 contains the best work of the MCU (For one, that it's a serial series consistently shot with far more verve than most of the films).

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Darko posted:

Couldn't break the box apart even going inside without Zeus level power, which even WW doesn't have. Superman is the last one on earth (besides Flash, different story) with old God level power that can be applied directly.

They wouldn't need to if they just beat Steppenwolf straight-up when he came for box 3. The reason he got away with it as is is that Superman kicked the poo poo out of the rest of the League right before Steppenwolf showed.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Ferrinus posted:

They wouldn't need to if they just beat Steppenwolf straight-up when he came for box 3. The reason he got away with it as is is that Superman kicked the poo poo out of the rest of the League right before Steppenwolf showed.

The existing league fought Steppenwolf twice making no appreciable progress against his armor, general prowess, and teleportation though.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

The existing league fought Steppenwolf twice making no appreciable progress against his armor, general prowess, and teleportation though.

They straight up forced him to retreat beneath Gotham harbor and that was before Aquaman even got involved!

It's not clear if the glowing blue eyes in the final scene meant that Steppenwolf was getting some sort of combat buff from the Unity, but even then the combo of Wonder Woman and Aquaman were basically able to match him. He was able to buy himself enough time against them to stop Cyborg but absent time pressure even the Atlantean/Amazon duo might have been enough given time and planning.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Ferrinus posted:

They straight up forced him to retreat beneath Gotham harbor and that was before Aquaman even got involved!

Diana says she's never seen someone as powerful as Steppenwolf before, maybe only one other being (Clark). Them being unable to subdue him is the main reason they even considered bringing Clark back using the motherbox (after learning it was even possible to do so).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just once I think

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I'm counting the nuclear reactor fight prior to Supes arrival since we're discussing tactical verisimilitude instead of league decision-making.

Yes, WW holds her own more or less (more less) but none of them can actually damage Steppenwolf, while he flings and throws each member of the league into and under walls. And this is him without having an objective the league would otherwise have to defend. He's far too strong, far too mobile.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

teagone posted:

Diana says she's never seen someone as powerful as Steppenwolf before, maybe only one other being (Clark). Them being unable to subdue him is the main reason they even considered bringing Clark back using the motherbox (after learning it was even possible to do so).

Yeah, Steppenwolf is stronger than any of them individually, but he and his parademons aren't quiiite a match for the non-Kryptonians working together. We see that across two fight scenes, one in which Steppenwolf is fought to a standstill and retreats and another in which he (almost) wins by running out the clock while Flash and Cyborg largely don't participate in any fighting.

For sure, having Superman makes their victory a certainty rather than a struggle. But all they need is a little faith!

I'm counting the nuclear reactor fight prior to Supes arrival since we're discussing tactical verisimilitude instead of league decision-making.

Yes, WW holds her own more or less (more less) but none of them can actually damage Steppenwolf, while he flings and throws each member of the league into and under walls. And this is him without having an objective the league would otherwise have to defend. He's far too strong, far too mobile.

The converse is also true, though - Steppenwolf gets flung around a lot and batters but doesn't damage the League. Presumably in an alternate timeline Aquaman or Wonder Woman would stab Steppenwolf through the face after a pitched bossfight.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

He also has an army of unknown and possibly growing size and so far the League have been lucky that he’s been limiting his attacks to specifically searching for the boxes (and with seeming restraint for collateral damage all things considered) but they have no idea how things are going to escalate.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

teagone posted:

This plus Wonder Woman defeated the Actual Greek God Ares who was there next to Zeus fighting in the mega battle against Darkseid back then so like, if she of all people is straight up saying Steppenwolf is the most powerful thing she ever encountered then that makes resurrecting Superman a lot more reasonable.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

[edit] ^^^this too

Ferrinus posted:

Yeah, Steppenwolf is stronger than any of them individually, but he and his parademons aren't quiiite a match for the non-Kryptonians working together. We see that across two fight scenes, one in which Steppenwolf is fought to a standstill and retreats and another in which he (almost) wins by running out the clock while Flash and Cyborg largely don't participate in any fighting.

Steppenwolf didn't retreat really. He just hosed off because his interrogation of the STAR Labs folk got interrupted. He bested the league 100% in that fight, and ended the encounter by using Batman's tech armament against them. The league would've been screwed by the harbor flood if Aquaman didn't show up.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

teagone posted:

[edit] ^^^this too

Steppenwolf didn't retreat really. He just hosed off because his interrogation of the STAR Labs folk got interrupted. He bested the league 100% in that fight, and ended the encounter by using Batman's tech armament against them. The league would've been screwed by the harbor flood if Aquaman didn't show up.

Ah, so he didn't retreat, he just... retreated. And Aquaman wasn't even in play at that point! You might recall that, later, AM and WW were nearly a match for him on their own - no Flash at all, Cyborg firing like a couple blaster bolts and then getting preoccupied.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

Ah, so he didn't retreat, he just... retreated. And Aquaman wasn't even in play at that point! You might recall that, later, AM and WW were nearly a match for him on their own - no Flash at all, Cyborg firing like a couple blaster bolts and then getting preoccupied.

Are we really arguing the merits of power levels and what constitutes being properly routed in a skirmish? Lol. If Arthur and Diana were a match for Steppenwolf, they would've subdued and/or killed him, instead they themselves were subdued by Steppenwolf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

teagone posted:

Are we really arguing the merits of power levels and what constitutes being properly routed in a skirmish? Lol. If Arthur and Diana were a match for Steppenwolf, they would've subdued and/or killed him, instead they themselves were subdued by Steppenwolf.

Absolutely we are, yes. Power levels are crucially important to these movies.

Like I said, I rewatched this the other day. In the final battle, Aquaman and Wonder Woman are, or are nearly, a match for Steppenwolf. He only "wins" by running out the clock - specifically, Diana and Arthur get buried by rubble for just long enough to allow Steppenwolf to go and ruin Cyborg's day. They break free ready to keep fighting only a few seconds afterward (though at that point Superman has showed up). Cyborg and Flash are almost entirely uninvolved.

In the sewers, Steppenwolf could have just bwooped out immediately upon losing the hostages, but he decides he wants to kill the Amazon first. ...the thing is, he fails. He can't quite beat her, even though everyone but Wonder Woman is preoccupied. He retreats shortly after she blasts him down a tunnel and the rest of the League shows up to start throwing heavy ordnance at him. This squares with Steppenwolf telling Diana that she probably could have saved her sisters if she'd actually been on the scene when he came for the first box - she's not actually stronger than him, but strong enough to slow him down and maybe eventually beat him given enough help? Yeah, sure.

What I'm saying here is that, ironically, resurrecting Superman represents an abandonment of faith for, like, gamer logic. We want to win, right? So we want to absolutely maximize our odds, right? Okay, what's the strongest thing we can possibly bring to bear, so powerful it practically obviates the rest of us?