Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
I'm hearing Wes Miller and Mark Few as favourites to replace Roy Williams. The latter only happens if the Zags win this year imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Mark Few's been at Gonzaga longer than Roy was at UNC. Wes Miller seems like a fine coach but pretending like Mark Few is an option is just going to end up in disappointment

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Grittybeard posted:

Pearl was pretty heavy into that Adidas thing wasn't he?

Not that it should necessarily matter, but I'd imagine that'd be the answer.

It all started in 1988...

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
people suddenly deciding that this is the year few leaves when he's had the best team in the country for two years in a row and is just now starting to recruit like a national power is so weird. He's been there since 1999 I think he's probably had chances to leave.

mastershakeman posted:

It all started in 1988...

it owns that illinois is still mad about this lmao

I reject the notion that paying players is dirty because it is actually cool and just but yeah lots of schools won't hire Pearl.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

luv2hire big time college coach under heavy ncaa scrutiny

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Auburn's thing was an assistant coach bringing money from a financial advisor to players with a cut for himself to secure them as clients when they went pro. Forget if it was a wiretap or witness who gave it up to the FBI but they just stumbled on it in the course of the Adidas investigation. Otherwise Auburn omerta usually holds up pretty well.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
I don't think Bruce Pearl is UNC material; he would never be cynical enough to, for instance, hollow out an entire academic department to use as a personal fraud mill and rubber-stamp for athlete eligibility while swearing up and down how important amateurism is for college athletics.

edit: Loyola is promoting an assistant to the head coach job.
https://twitter.com/ChicagoSports/status/1378349580719362054?s=20

elentar fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 3, 2021

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Had no clue Denzel Valentine had a brother

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Holy poo poo!!!!

i hope you don't mind that i crossposted that to the NBA thread so i can keep talking about denzel.

Are they twins?

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 3, 2021

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ungratek posted:

Had no clue Denzel Valentine had a brother

He played at Oakland and I think did a GA year at MSU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

Holy poo poo!!!!

i hope you don't mind that i crossposted that to the NBA thread so i can keep talking about denzel.

Are they twins?

Denzel is younger.

https://twitter.com/GBrianBennett/status/1378393760082501643?s=19

Iowa should have swept these :colbert:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Maryland picked up Fatts Russell and Qudus Wahab in the transfer portal today and already look in irritatingly good shape for next year.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Fatts Russell is still in college?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
What's the deal with Brannen and Cincinnati?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dejan Bimble posted:

What's the deal with Brannen and Cincinnati?

it sounds like they're investigating player abuse allegations

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Cincinnati is also hosed up just university-wide, they’ve been taking larger and larger amounts out of general tuition pools to cover the debt from chasing big-time college athletics and it’s no way sustainable. https://twitter.com/newsrecord_uc/status/1377635118135832581?s=21

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

My sister went to UC and she gets mad whenever I point out the reality of her school being a place where good coaches go on their way to better jobs. She got annoyed at Cronin leaving for an objectively better job and the same thing will happen when Luke Fickell takes his inevitable top tier job at Michigan or wherever

But honestly it’s still better to have good coaches who leave than lovely rear end in a top hat coaches like this new guy or Alabama Senator and Job-Quitting Expert Tommy Tuberville

Edit: honestly UC is in a really lovely place because they’re probably one of the best non-power conference schools in the NCAA which means they get a whole bunch of attention whenever conference expansion is brought up, and they’d fit in with the Big Ten or Big 12 without much issue. Unfortunately for them, the time for conference expansion was about a decade ago, and any future expansion is probably gonna just move closer to blowing up college athletics as we know it entirely. So they’re spending a bunch of money because that’s the way to get the attention of the conferences that they want to play in with the thought that if they get into a power conference it will all come back to them many times over, but they can only keep doing it for so long before it starts to actually affect the present.

They saw TCU, Pitt, Syracuse, Utah and especially Louisville win the conference lottery, saw that their remaining competition is Boise State and some Mormons and is hoping that one more slot is gonna come open before the music stops. Honestly I don’t know if expansion was everything that the Big Ten/ACC thought it would be and the Big 12 is still in thin ice, so I get the feeling that they’re gonna be left in the cold.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 4, 2021

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/nkalamb/status/1378511325350006787

seems bad

stump collector
May 28, 2007

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
News:
https://twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA/status/1378545945068105731

Views:
:allbuttons:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

that article posted:

In February, head coach Nate Oats thanked Ratliff, known as "Fluffopotamus," for leading fan support from the student section.

Fluffopotamus

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

If Jalen Suggs is the #3 player in his draft class then that is a loving stacked NBA Draft class.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Kirios posted:

If Jalen Suggs is the #3 player in his draft class then that is a loving stacked NBA Draft class.

Cunningham and Mobley are absolute freaks, of the sort some years don't even get one of

stump collector
May 28, 2007
That was such a good game and I glad I got to see it. I wanted underdog ucla to win, but, I wanted gonzaga to win because ucla has like eleven chips lmfao

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/briannnnf/status/1378553798411628545

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Cackling at the Morrison catharsis there

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."
As a bobcats/hornets fan with an ammo Nascar jersey, this brought a tear to my eye

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I didn't know Morrison did radio for the Zags, he must have spent that entire game feeling like I did on Election Night 2020, just an iron vise in the guts and the Twin Peaks giant droning out "it is happening again" over and over

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I thought Morrison was done after he quickly flamed out with the Hornets and forgot he "won" two rings riding the Lakers' bench lmao

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Benne posted:

I thought Morrison was done after he quickly flamed out with the Hornets and forgot he "won" two rings riding the Lakers' bench lmao

This reminded me of Mark Madsen out of nowhere and I had no idea he lasted 9 years in the NBA.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Benne posted:

Did wind up being a good international player

E: actually this isn't even true, he had one good year in the Adriatic that I remembered and then tried to move up a league to turkey the next year and couldn't get off the bench so he came back and made a few more runs at summer league spots

MourningView fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 4, 2021

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Benne posted:

I remember seeing quite a few "Adam Morrison has more rings than LeBron" memes back in the day.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Morrison was a summer league legend.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MourningView posted:

Did wind up being a good international player

E: actually this isn't even true, he had one good year in the Adriatic that I remembered and then tried to move up a league to turkey the next year and couldn't get off the bench so he came back and made a few more runs at summer league spots

The fact that Morrison was briefly unstoppable for the Belgrade Red Stars is an extremely dumb piece of information I will carry with me to my grave for some reason.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
This starts at the Suggs block/foul leading to a ridiculous bounce pass and Timme dunk which was one of the many, many times I thought to myself 'ok this is over,' because that's just devastating. I can't get over Juzang calmly draining another midrange jumper that is really not the shot you want to take very often if you have any other choice right after it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoTWDOYHaZw

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Although predictable, Gonzaga vs. Baylor will be a hell of a game. I can't wait.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
LAT headline is v. good

https://twitter.com/LATimesfarmer/status/1378666333303365632?s=19

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

chaoslord posted:

https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/status/1374469790572584962?s=19

Hopefully he leaves the SEC, dude was always killer against Arkansas, I do not want to have to play him any more lol

Hey, you might get to play him and only occasionally hate him!

https://twitter.com/Dave_Matter/status/1378839166176333828

Feel like he might possibly want to beat the hell out of Missouri.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I thought Adam Morrison lived in a bunker and assumed he’d be in there 24/7 with the pandemic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

fun stuff https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/1378787802347933705?s=20