Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

One of my best friends got me a HG Wing Zero kit and I decided- it's a present, I'm gonna do something fancy with it.

Started with just wanting to give it feathery wings like the EW design, but it ended up being more than that in a few ways. So since it was feeling close enough to some kind of Build Fighters style variant MS, I named it the Archangel Wing Zero

closeup on the damaged head

and to further push the Build Fighters vibe I went ahead and gave it a super form kinda thing, Edensguard Mode

Really enjoying adding some chipping/wear/damage to kits, definitely gonna keep doing that in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

Halman posted:

If I wanted to build a VF-1Valkyrie is there a particular kit/brand I should be looking for in order to have the least hassle? And it looks like a lot of them expect you to paint them?

I built the Bandai VF-1 from a few (10 or so?) years ago. While it could be a good kit if you pose it once and then never touch it again, it's not so good as a super fragile plastic hand grenade transformable mecha. I ended up getting a fixed-mode Hasegawa kit and a used Arcadia transformable figure.

Edit- Here's Dalong's build & photos of the kit: http://www.dalong.net/reviews/etc/mv03/mv03_p.htm
It's an incredibly fiddly kit.

Queadlunn fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 4, 2021

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Queadlunn posted:

I built the Bandai VF-1 from a few (10 or so?) years ago. While it could be a good kit if you pose it once and then never touch it again, it's not so good as a super fragile plastic hand grenade transformable mecha. I ended up getting a fixed-mode Hasegawa kit and a used Arcadia transformable figure.

Edit- Here's Dalong's build & photos of the kit: http://www.dalong.net/reviews/etc/mv03/mv03_p.htm
It's an incredibly fiddly kit.

Apparently, the Roy Fokker version was improved to be less of a nightmare, but it was still pretty fiddly.

Dalong's review says that the Roy version is worth getting for hardcore Macross fans as long as they know what they're getting into and don't expect Bandai's usual. Meanwhile, the first release was referred to as "Bandai's worst kit".

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
It's not gunpla or even a Gundam, but I bought a Lego Eva

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

:eyepop:

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

That looks way better than I would have expected something described as a 'Lego Eva' to look

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I'm working through my Barbatos Lupus Rex (man some of the stuff on the joints seems kinda.. loose? dunno, maybe need to check if I put them together right) but pretty excited to get through my current backlog.

Also, I kinda really... want to build a Liger Zero for some reason. Are the armor parts kinda interchangeable between the Panzer/Yaeger/Schneider modes for the current Zero kit out, or are people expected to buy three separate Liger Zeroes?

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

lol this thing is huge too

where did you even get this

MechaX fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Apr 4, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MechaX posted:

I'm working through my Barbatos Lupus Rex (man some of the stuff on the joints seems kinda.. loose? dunno, maybe need to check if I put them together right) but pretty excited to get through my current backlog.

Also, I kinda really... want to build a Liger Zero for some reason. Are the armor parts kinda interchangeable between the Panzer/Yaeger/Schneider modes for the current Zero kit out, or are people expected to buy three separate Liger Zeroes?

Assuming it's still the same Kotobukiya kit, the Liger Zero is indeed interchangeable. You can actually get separate armor pack kits for the different modes as well as standalone Liger Zero [MODE] kits.

For what it's worth, I've got the Iron Blood Finish Barbatos Lupus Rex and the joints have been pretty solid on that.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Apparently, the Roy Fokker version was improved to be less of a nightmare, but it was still pretty fiddly.

Dalong's review says that the Roy version is worth getting for hardcore Macross fans as long as they know what they're getting into and don't expect Bandai's usual. Meanwhile, the first release was referred to as "Bandai's worst kit".

I'm pretty bad at making kits, but that kit was impossible for me, It was so goddamn fiddly that I couldn't even get it to stay in one place for a second, much less pose it. It lives in a box now, It needs to atone for it's crimes

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

MechaX posted:

lol this thing is huge too

where did you even get this

https://www.yourwobb.com/products/18k-k124-eva-01-test-type-evangelion-1

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

This is way cheaper than I expected.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rabbi Tupac posted:

This is way cheaper than I expected.

It's one of the Chinese knockoff sites so you'll get a PDF of instructions and 30 bags of pieces that aren't sorted in any discernible fashion. I've bought from them before; the bricks fit together just fine and aren't slimy, but be prepared to spend a few hours spreading out and sorting parts before you get started.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

Hell Gem

Sea Lily posted:

One of my best friends got me a HG Wing Zero kit and I decided- it's a present, I'm gonna do something fancy with it.

Started with just wanting to give it feathery wings like the EW design, but it ended up being more than that in a few ways. So since it was feeling close enough to some kind of Build Fighters style variant MS, I named it the Archangel Wing Zero

closeup on the damaged head

and to further push the Build Fighters vibe I went ahead and gave it a super form kinda thing, Edensguard Mode

Really enjoying adding some chipping/wear/damage to kits, definitely gonna keep doing that in the future.

NGL, that looks pretty awesome! :golfclap:

Where’s that sword from?

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
Sure I'll work over the Easter weekend, what could go wrong?

Oh.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sykic posted:

Oh.

Yeah, I definitely see your problem there.

Two Chars and no Amuros? You're going to have a really unbalanced MS collection.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Midjack posted:

It's one of the Chinese knockoff sites so you'll get a PDF of instructions and 30 bags of pieces that aren't sorted in any discernible fashion. I've bought from them before; the bricks fit together just fine and aren't slimy, but be prepared to spend a few hours spreading out and sorting parts before you get started.

That was 100% not my experience, the instructions were a nice big book and the bags were numbered based on what step they were for. It was super easy to build and quality was great

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Sykic posted:

Oh.

This is a really great set of kits, apart from where you encouraged them to make more Unicorns.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Tarquinn posted:

NGL, that looks pretty awesome! :golfclap:

Where’s that sword from?

Thanks! And the sword is a koto MSG accessory kit thing, the big floating shield in the last pic is from the same lil set, I think it's called the Knight Master Sword

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Sea Lily posted:

Thanks! And the sword is a koto MSG accessory kit thing, the big floating shield in the last pic is from the same lil set, I think it's called the Knight Master Sword

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10712655
https://www.hlj.com/heavy-weapon-unit-25-knight-master-sword-kbymh-25

Yep. Koto makes a lot of nice stuff that's still somewhat lacking on Bandai's end despite their Build accessories/option packs line. It's worth looking into though the caveat is that they're more suited to Frame Arms scale which is somewhere between 1/144 and 1/100. In terms of how compatible they are, they use 3mm pegs usually but Bandai stuff outside of 30mm usually is only a little bit replete with holes for this sort of thing. Hand-wise, it can come down to set by set what works, what's too big for smol Gunpla hand, what's too small for big Gunpla hand.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Bandai do some hands in various sizes and at least one of them will work for any given Koto weapon unit thing. I think my Jegan has like 4 sets of hands.

Made moderoid Gaiking in a single sitting tonight. Easy build, nothing too complex and the plastic quality seemed fine enough to me. I like the shoulder and hip polycaps that slide in and out for extra range of movement and keeping the hips in the underpants. Gonna be building the other two boys and then combining for Gaiking the Great.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
https://www.bandaispirits.co.jp/hobbycenter/recycleproject.html

This is a great idea and I'm amazed this wasn't a thing earlier.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Puddin posted:

https://www.bandaispirits.co.jp/hobbycenter/recycleproject.html

This is a great idea and I'm amazed this wasn't a thing earlier.

Ecopla has been around for a while though it was never very widely sold.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Midjack posted:

Lol if you don't tear open all the bags and dump everything into a huge pile because that's what you used to do in the 80s with lego, and then 3/4s of your build time is sifting angrily through the pile muttering about how you just saw that 1x1 tile not five minutes ago where the gently caress is-oh duh there it is

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

Hell Gem

Phy posted:

Lol if you don't tear open all the bags and dump everything into a huge pile because that's what you used to do in the 80s with lego, and then 3/4s of your build time is sifting angrily through the pile muttering about how you just saw that 1x1 tile not five minutes ago where the gently caress is-oh duh there it is

:hmmyes:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Have they really not made an MG Vidar or Flauros or Gusion Rebake yet?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

sassassin posted:

They really have not.

There are HG 1/100 scale Vidar and Gusion kits though.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So far Core Gundam II G3 seems much more solid than Core Gundam II in the Uraven kit. I assume there was just a weird box of poly caps somewhere?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

sassassin posted:

Not yet.

Bandai only makes a handful of new MGs a year lately, and Barbatos only got an MG in late 2019, with a P-Bandai expansion kit released in 2020. They're also a lower priority because they already have a line of 1/100 IBO kits. (A line which didn't seem to do amazing, since they cut it down from 9 kits to four in the second season). Considering it took about a decade to get MGs of the non-Exia Gundams from 00, there's no guarantee that IBO will get kits of the Kimaris, Guision, Bael, or Flauros any time soon.

That said, I think that Barbatos is probably already one of the best selling Master Grades of all time given its wide US retail release, so I'd bet Bandai is at least looking at the numbers for making more IBO Master Grades.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
UK prices are nuts compared to when I last looked, which seems to be nearly three years ago. Time sure flies.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Wow wow the MG Stormbringer FA is cool.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

de-stressed after work today by building a cute lil HG kit, the Momokapool. enjoyed it a lot, fun and unique build and the kit includes just enough 'unused' parts to extend the arms by another full joint segment each so I went ahead and gave him those extra long wiggly arms

https://twitter.com/SleepySeaLily/status/1379237058351300608

definitely recommend it if you wanna do a build that isn't just the usual gundam/zaku stock biped style stuff

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Sea Lily posted:

de-stressed after work today by building a cute lil HG kit, the Momokapool. enjoyed it a lot, fun and unique build and the kit includes just enough 'unused' parts to extend the arms by another full joint segment each so I went ahead and gave him those extra long wiggly arms

https://twitter.com/SleepySeaLily/status/1379237058351300608

definitely recommend it if you wanna do a build that isn't just the usual gundam/zaku stock biped style stuff

Still annoyed there's no regular Kapool/Capule HGUC.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Phy posted:

Hi, I'm in this post and I don't like it. Though sub out 80s for 90s.

I think I still have a couple of the giant Technic kits at my parents' place.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

3 more kits for the wardrobe

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Sea Lily posted:

the kit includes just enough 'unused' parts to extend the arms by another full joint segment each so I went ahead and gave him those extra long wiggly arms

this was a fun little surprise when I was building the kit, and I'm honestly a bit puzzled that Bandai never released an Option Kit that was just a bunch of extra arm segments. It would have been a good seller I think, and Japanese twitter would have done the marketing all on its own!

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

If I ever end up finding another Momokapool for cheap I might get it just to make the arms twice as long

Onmi posted:

3 more kits for the wardrobe

haven't built the other two but Leo is a fun, quick lil build to knock out sometime. good picks though. i want to get the hyaku-shiki with the gold coating

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

grassy gnoll posted:

This is a really great set of kits, apart from where you encouraged them to make more Unicorns.

Could have been worse, I could have bought the Perfectibility too. :shepspends:

Sea Lily posted:

i want to get the hyaku-shiki with the gold coating

There's a whole bunch of coated kits I want but I have absolutely no idea how to clean them without destroying it. It seems like none of the kits that get a coat are ever designed for it and markers don't come close to matching the mirror shine.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

So it turns out Gundam Build Real is only part of Bandai's push to make live action dramas about people building model kits. There's also Girl Gun Lady. It's about high school girls who build kits of guns and ladies, but then the guns and ladies become real and make the girls fight to the death.

Here are the guns

And the ladies

The first episode is up on Youtube but no English subs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtgxNNJHM28

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Are those ladies kits or figures? Because drat, if those aren't painted they may be the first kit I buy that isn't a robit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
I ran across that the other day, but got the impression that it was more a toku show trying to cash in on the battle royale game genre craze more than anything, since bandai is typically the go to for merch and prop toys.

I basically found no one talking about it english side, though. Not even the toku thread.