Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.
Dang, I had looked into microchip feeders before but the price is a little too steep for me right now. I'll keep it in mind though if more exercise (and feeding the fat one less) doesn't seem to help soon, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Portion pro feeders have been excellent for us. Automatic feeder with a lid that opens/closes for the right /wrong cat.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

So the kitten I was talking about a few weeks ago, Heidi, is doing a lot better now. She apparently needs really clean litter boxes!

She got a haircut cause she wasn't bathing herself, but now with the cut, she's doing a lot better!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

People who say cats don't love people are crazy.

I took a half day at work today and was met at the door by two cats and currently have one holding me down and demanding face scratches.

Comrade Cakewalk
Nov 4, 2006
Win a cake for the motherland.

LuckyCat posted:

I’ve read that taming a feral cat can be difficult, but it’s easier the younger they are. Any tips or has anyone been through this before?

I’ll edit the post with a photo of the lil guy shortly.

E:

Cuuuute :3:

I've tamed 2 wild babies. Keep them in a confined area where they can't hide (like a bathroom or a big dog crate if you have one) and just hang out around them. Make sure you sit there when you feed them so they associate you with food. And play with them with lil wand toys. I also sang to mine, idk if that helped, but lol. They went from hissing biting assholes to lovey couch potatoes in a couple weeks.

And don't give up. At first, I deeply regretted my decision to take in these kittens and thought about just putting them back outside because I didn't feel like I was making any progress. In the end, one of them became so tame I could pick her up and she would just go completely limp in my arms. The other never made it to that level of chill, but he became a good buddy regardless.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
My cats suddenly hate each other, or more accurately, one has become much more aggressive towards the other. We think it started when the aggressive one, Marigold, saw an outside cat about 2 days ago and started growling, and then our other cat, Clover, came too close (she hates outside cats even more than Marigold, so she was probably all puffed up too) and Marigold decided to attack her. Now Marigold keeps growling and hissing at Clover whenever she sees her, and Clover puffs up and starts hissing back. They've never been friends but they've always tolerated each other.

We ordered some Feliway dispensers, and if the fighting continues we're going to separate Clover in my room for a while while the dispensers do their work. I've also tried distracting Marigold with treats, brushes, and toys, but it hasn't helped. Has anybody else encountered this situation before, and if so, any advice?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah redirected aggression is a big thing with cats and probably worse if both are riled up at the time. Not sure about how to fix it other than time and standard introducing-cats measures. Puffing up and hissing at each other is fine if they aren't seriously fighting, they'll work out that the other one isn't a threat sooner or later.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Organza Quiz posted:

Yeah redirected aggression is a big thing with cats and probably worse if both are riled up at the time. Not sure about how to fix it other than time and standard introducing-cats measures. Puffing up and hissing at each other is fine if they aren't seriously fighting, they'll work out that the other one isn't a threat sooner or later.

Clover is super loud (like, screaming loud) when she's feeling threatened, so maybe I just think it's worse than it is.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

I’ve been lurking in the thread for a while and yesterday brought home a 1 year old black smoke tabby. :swoon:

His name is Sinjin; I’d love to go with the fancy-boy British “St John” spelling but having a confusingly spelled name might cause issues...

Contactless pickup adoptions are weird; I didn’t see him in the flesh until I opened up the cardboard carrier in my apartment bathroom. He was silent for the whole 40 min car ride.

He loves getting his head scratched but I havent seem him leave the box yet (though he definitely used the litter box and ate some food last night. Somehow kicked a bunch of litter into my bathtub lol). He swipes when I stop petting him and pull my hand away... I leave when he does that, hopefully that can be trained out. Hoping he gets acclimated soon so I can take a shower!

EDIT: What’s the best way to post photos from Awful App? Everytime I try to add a photo directly from my phone library I get an error message...

Crocobile fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 3, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Crocobile posted:

EDIT: What’s the best way to post photos from Awful App? Everytime I try to add a photo directly from my phone library I get an error message...

It’s because the iPhone saves pictures in a weird format and Imgur doesn’t like it. I use a shortcut to upload it to Imgur and then paste the url here.

It’s much simpler since sometimes the API the app uses gets full.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/623ba93e27a64e04882ce79bb31001ef

It’s super easy to use and will only fail if Imgur is down.

Also congrats on the super cute kitty! Love the name!

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

My boy is ill but getting better. Upper respiratory panel came back pretty rough so they've got him on a few different medications now. Crated so medicators can get him, since he's such a nervous wreck. But for the first time in quite a while he's eating normally instead of one piece at a time and he was barely sniffing. Another shelter cat had good results out of this meds combo and ended up having their chronic respiratory issues effectively go away even after they came off. Hoping the same for him. Wasn't super happy to see me today, but getting wrangled and put in baby jail will do that.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

SkyeAuroline posted:

My boy is ill but getting better. Upper respiratory panel came back pretty rough so they've got him on a few different medications now. Crated so medicators can get him, since he's such a nervous wreck. But for the first time in quite a while he's eating normally instead of one piece at a time and he was barely sniffing. Another shelter cat had good results out of this meds combo and ended up having their chronic respiratory issues effectively go away even after they came off. Hoping the same for him. Wasn't super happy to see me today, but getting wrangled and put in baby jail will do that.

Could you say what the respiratory issues were, and what the meds are? My cat has chronic respiratory problems, apparently from calicivirus, and the vet says there is no treatment (other than interferon, which is very expensive and not very effective). So I'm always interested in news on that front.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

pidan posted:

Could you say what the respiratory issues were, and what the meds are? My cat has chronic respiratory problems, apparently from calicivirus, and the vet says there is no treatment (other than interferon, which is very expensive and not very effective). So I'm always interested in news on that front.

I can ask about the meds next time I talk to the medicators; I'm just a volunteer and don't handle that (not trained).
Jasper has had effectively lifelong (at least since he came in at a few months old, 9 years ago) upper respiratory infections partially written off as "allergies" since they get worse if fleas get tracked into the shelter somehow. Always very sniffly, eats very little & very slowly because he ends up needing mouth breathing, and he sphinx-poses instead of laying down most of the time to keep pressure off his chest. From what I've been told his panel came back with 4 strains of bacteria and/or viruses detected total, but I wasn't given info on anything specific besides chlamydiosis.
I won't be back in to see him for another week but I'll reach out to staff in the meantime.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

SkyeAuroline posted:

I can ask about the meds next time I talk to the medicators; I'm just a volunteer and don't handle that (not trained).
Jasper has had effectively lifelong (at least since he came in at a few months old, 9 years ago) upper respiratory infections partially written off as "allergies" since they get worse if fleas get tracked into the shelter somehow. Always very sniffly, eats very little & very slowly because he ends up needing mouth breathing, and he sphinx-poses instead of laying down most of the time to keep pressure off his chest. From what I've been told his panel came back with 4 strains of bacteria and/or viruses detected total, but I wasn't given info on anything specific besides chlamydiosis.
I won't be back in to see him for another week but I'll reach out to staff in the meantime.

Aww, poor baby! Bacteria can probably be treated with antibiotics, my cat had that too and it just took a :10bux: bottle of baytril. But maybe there's something for the viruses too, that my vet hasn't yet heard of.

Thank you for the info!

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Does anybody know of a good way to deter outdoor cats from coming up to our windows? We live in a garden apartment, and not only has this one cat made Clover freak out (and start screaming at 4 AM) they also caused this recent fighting between our two cats. This has been going on for about a year now and I'm done.
No luck trying to contact the owners, can't catch and read the outdoor cats collar.

Clover:

Marigold:

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Apr 4, 2021

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Probably not, any deterrents you'd put out would probably freak out your cats too. I'd just cover the windows at night.

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Farecoal posted:

Does anybody know of a good way to deter outdoor cats from coming up to our windows? We live in a garden apartment, and not only has this one cat made Clover freak out (and start screaming at 4 AM) they also caused this recent fighting between our two cats. This has been going on for about a year now and I'm done.
No luck trying to contact the owners, can't catch and read the outdoor cats collar.

Clover:

Marigold:

ssssasCat motion activated spray: https://www.chewy.com/petsafe-ssscat-motion-activated-dog/dp/167583

it says indoor only because it’s compressed air. but if your outdoor conditions are mild (not too hot, not freezing or below), you can use it outdoors.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Wednesday has never really been a naughty scratcher, always sticking to her posts or scratchy mat. We moved in December and got a rug, and over the last couple of months she's decided she loves scratching the corner of the rug closest to where we've put her scratchy mat.

She clearly knows it's not allowed because as soon as you move to try to redirect her she pretends she wasn't scratching the rug. I still go over and tap the mat/move it over the spot on the rug that she likes to scratch but she doesn't seem to take the hint.

Any tips?

Here's a picture of her being a weird shape during morning bed cuddles for cat tax.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

My most recent adoptee, Grace, passed away very suddenly today. We don't know what happened to her. It's a sad day. Please love your kitties for me.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I’m sorry :(

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I'm putting my cat down today. He's 17. I joined SA because I rescued two feral kittens when a neighborhood decided to kill off a wild colony with food laced with antifreeze. These were the only (known) two survivors and were with their dead mother in a coworkers basement. She asked if I wanted them, and for some reason despite never having a pet before, I said yes. Raised them from about 1 week old. Got a lot of advice from here. I don't know why I'm posting this, I'm just in a weird place.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
17 years is a long time to make their life happy and comfy, and healthy as well given that age. :unsmith:

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

pidan posted:

Aww, poor baby! Bacteria can probably be treated with antibiotics, my cat had that too and it just took a :10bux: bottle of baytril. But maybe there's something for the viruses too, that my vet hasn't yet heard of.

Thank you for the info!

Checking back in a few days later. Staff have been... uncooperative in communicating, even with the context that it's to help someone I know with an ill cat. The best I've gotten so far is

quote:

Jasper has bacteria in his nasal passages.  He is on doxycycline and famciclovir. 
Which doesn't line up with him being on four medications nor with the viral result on his upper respiratory panel that I was initially told about (though famciclovir is an antiviral). Haven't managed to get a clearer answer out of anyone yet.

Sorry it's not much help.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.

LorneReams posted:

I'm putting my cat down today. He's 17. I joined SA because I rescued two feral kittens when a neighborhood decided to kill off a wild colony with food laced with antifreeze. These were the only (known) two survivors and were with their dead mother in a coworkers basement. She asked if I wanted them, and for some reason despite never having a pet before, I said yes. Raised them from about 1 week old. Got a lot of advice from here. I don't know why I'm posting this, I'm just in a weird place.

Goondolences, friend. I'm sure you did an awesome job. My childhood cat also lived to 17 and it was hard to let him go. :love:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

LorneReams posted:

I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Our senior cat, who we've had for around a month now, has recently started pooping in the corner adjacent to his liter box. He does suffer from constipation (we are working with the vet on this) so that could be a reason. Today, all at once, he did a poop in his box, a box on top of the carpet in the adjacent corner and managed to pull up the carpet and poop under it.

Any ideas on why he might of just started doing this? He uses the liter box find sometimes and not others, and alwaus uses it to urinate in.

Thanks.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

LorneReams posted:

Thank you for sharing your story, sounds like you gave them a great life and a good ending :unsmith:

PriorMarcus posted:

Our senior cat, who we've had for around a month now, has recently started pooping in the corner adjacent to his liter box. He does suffer from constipation (we are working with the vet on this) so that could be a reason. Today, all at once, he did a poop in his box, a box on top of the carpet in the adjacent corner and managed to pull up the carpet and poop under it.

Any ideas on why he might of just started doing this? He uses the liter box find sometimes and not others, and alwaus uses it to urinate in.

Thanks.

He might associate the pain of constipation and straining to poop with the litter box and was looking for alternative places that (he assumed) wouldn't hurt

Xepherra
Apr 4, 2008

It burst into flames! It burst into flames, and it's falling, it's crashing!

Len posted:

You could join the litter robot cult. It's legitimately life improving

We are joining the litter robot cult. :toot: Anyone have a referral code they want to cash in?

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
The referral page changed and I'm not 100% this is the right link, let me know if it doesn't work. I'm contacting LR to get access to their campaigns now I guess.

https://www.talkable.com/x/1gPZCr

Edit fixed code

Spikes32 fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 7, 2021

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Edit: beaten

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Stentor is now five months old and has remembered just how much he loves to sleep inside of jackets, fortunately he still fits but only barely! He has gone from 600 grams when I first got him to three kilos and is definitely going to be a big boy once he is finished growing.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Are any of the automated litter boxes worth a drat? I love cats, but scooping up poo poo and piss daily is really unpleasant, especially since we’ve moved to feeding our senior cat wet food at the vet’s instruction. I’ve been digging in animal waste for years and would love to be able to throw money at the problem instead. I see various options for sale, but it’s hard to tell if they’re effective or just $4-700 gimmicks.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Loucks posted:

Are any of the automated litter boxes worth a drat? I love cats, but scooping up poo poo and piss daily is really unpleasant, especially since we’ve moved to feeding our senior cat wet food at the vet’s instruction. I’ve been digging in animal waste for years and would love to be able to throw money at the problem instead. I see various options for sale, but it’s hard to tell if they’re effective or just $4-700 gimmicks.

The litter robot is amazing and worth the money.

Don’t settle for less.

It works as advertised.

I have two kitties and I only have to change the bag every 4 days or so and add litter like maybe every other day (maybe?) it’s very very efficient.

Edit: Also the smell is non existent. It’s pretty amazing.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 9, 2021

Loucks
May 21, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Don’t settle for less.

It works as advertised.

I have two kitties and I only have to change the bag every 4 days or so and add litter like maybe every other day (maybe?) it’s very very efficient.

This is what I was hoping to hear. Do you mean this thing? Fact is one of our two very elderly cats passed recently, and the other is likely to go in the next year or so (she’s healthy, but 18). I’d love to get a couple of new cats when that happens but don’t want to sign up for another twenty years of scooping at least once a day.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Loucks posted:

This is what I was hoping to hear. Do you mean this thing? Fact is one of our two very elderly cats passed recently, and the other is likely to go in the next year or so (she’s healthy, but 18). I’d love to get a couple of new cats when that happens but don’t want to sign up for another twenty years of scooping at least once a day.

Yes absolutely.

I’m far from the only one in this thread that has one as well. Yes it is expensive but,

A. My cats are worth it
B. My time is worth it

My only gripe is that my two cats love to launch them selves out of the drat thing and litter flies all over. I’ve invested in a decent hand vac for that problem because even the biggest litter mat isn’t big enough for the leaps they take.

Definitely get a litter mat for the front though as it still does catch some litter.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

That box could be three times the price and I wouldn’t care. I just assume pets are going to be stupidly expensive so I can be pleasantly surprised when they aren’t. I also can’t overstate how much I hate scooping litter. Our litter box is in an area of the house with a concrete floor and we already have a mat and vacuum close by to deal with the inevitable litter migration. I think Ms. Bill kicks litter out on purpose just because she’s bored tbh.

Thanks for the advice. Here’s hoping this thing is as good as it sounds. Genuinely excited about the possibility of finally getting a black domestic shorthair.

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Black cats are good cats (all cats are good cats!) I have one!

Her name is Mira and she's a ball of love and purrs

Loucks
May 21, 2007

That’s a very good cat. :3:

I’ve always wanted a black cat but somehow it never happened. Every cat I’ve ever had has been a pet of opportunity.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Patrat posted:

Stentor is now five months old and has remembered just how much he loves to sleep inside of jackets, fortunately he still fits but only barely! He has gone from 600 grams when I first got him to three kilos and is definitely going to be a big boy once he is finished growing.

This reminds me I recently found Kimchi in her fav spot during her bathroom quarantine, I don't even know how she got in there because she's doubled in size since then.

Before:

No after pic because I couldn't fully open the drawer lol, but here's more proof that she doesn't understand she's no longer tiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

MarcusSA posted:

Don’t settle for less.

It works as advertised.

This. It's absurdly expensive but everyones QoL has improved with it in our house. My apartment smells better and the cats have a cleaner box than I ever kept them with. Changing the bag out takes like 2 minutes tops and when I run out of their official bags you can just use a regular trash bag