Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

That and philosophy isn't really considered until college, and even then only if you're in liberal arts, and even then only if they require a PHIL 101 course.

I didn't know about substance and accident until I was a junior in college. My church was not very formal on theology, either. Pretty sad, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"

Lutha Mahtin posted:

a lot of non-christians are genuinely puzzled by the trinity, which i think is understandable. if it's not something that you have spent some time contemplating, it really is a pretty wild concept to wrap your head around

A lot of Christians are puzzled by the trinity too, it can be pretty puzzling even if you have spent a lot of time contemplating it. Not to mention that plenty of Christians have never bothered to seriously contemplate the matter.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
Whenever we talk about the Trinity: https://youtu.be/KQLfgaUoQCw

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Nessus posted:

In Buddhism, definitely, although monks might still have restrictions on ornate or heavily-flavored ones. Temple/vegetarian cuisine were major drivers in developing seitan and tofu preparations to simulate various forms of meat.

It's still mindblowing to me that seitan is as old as it is. Huh. Thanks for the answer!

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

I bring a question from the stupid/small questions thread that I'm still pondering over: If you’re in a religion that forbids meat, do they allow practitioners to have the fake meats? Like, Incogmeato brands.

Quoting my answer from the other thread

Slimy Hog posted:

I wasn't at my computer for my last few posts so I was too lazy to type this up, but I've had discussions about fake meat with a couple priests and, like everything else in Orthodoxy, it kinda depends....

I can only speak to my experience with Eastern Orthodoxy specifically, so please defer to a priest about all this if you disagree/were told something else/want to know about a different religion

(This topic is particularly relevant to me right now because we're in the second week of Great Lent)

Both priests pretty much said the same thing: fasting isn't really about abstaining from particular food because there's anything inherently wrong/evil/sinful about them, it's about self-denial and getting closer to God; so if eating the meat substitutes keeps us from experiencing the fast in the way it was intended, then we should probably abstain from those as well. On the other hand, if eating the meat substitutes allows us to stay healthy while fasting, then it's a good thing to do. I've even been told that if fasting is easy for you (or if you already abstain from these foods by being Vegan or whatever), then try not spicing your food as much and/or eat fewer meals.

This also goes the other way: if you're pregnant, sick or have health issues, the fast as-is may not be feasible for you, so your priest may have other things you can do to participate in the fast without harming your health.

For the Orthodox, the foods themselves aren't inherently unclean or bad or whatever, it's all about our relationship with God and getting closer to him (fasting from foods is only 1/3 of the protocols for the "fast", we're also supposed to pray and give alms more during these periods).

Me personally? Well I don't just replace all the meat I would normally eat with Seitan/Beyond Burgers/etc, because that just feels like I'm trying to get around and cheat the fast in a way (like BonHair said), but I do eat those things on occasion.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Islam works the same way (tm)

You're supposed to have the spiritual benefits of fast, but health is paramount in most schools of jurisprudence, and if you're ill, elderly or a child, then god doesn't mind.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's still mindblowing to me that seitan is as old as it is. Huh. Thanks for the answer!
The real interesting question is when it went from being God's prosecuting attorney to being a delicious meat substitute in East Asia.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

Tias posted:

Islam works the same way (tm)

You're supposed to have the spiritual benefits of fast, but health is paramount in most schools of jurisprudence, and if you're ill, elderly or a child, then god doesn't mind.

I used to have a Muslim friend who was recovering from an eating disorder. She didn't dare to fast, fearing it would trigger a relapse. So she ate her normal diet. However, she abstained from all entertainment, like playing games, reading novels, listening to music, watching telly, etc for Ramadan. she phrased it as "I am fasting, and God knows that I fast in my heart" Also, she would donate the same amount of money she spent on food to charity.

Witching Hour
Nov 8, 2019

BattyKiara posted:

I used to have a Muslim friend who was recovering from an eating disorder. She didn't dare to fast, fearing it would trigger a relapse. So she ate her normal diet. However, she abstained from all entertainment, like playing games, reading novels, listening to music, watching telly, etc for Ramadan. she phrased it as "I am fasting, and God knows that I fast in my heart" Also, she would donate the same amount of money she spent on food to charity.

This is a pretty cool way to handle that.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

BattyKiara posted:

sounds almost like she was observing lent lol

CrypticFox
Dec 19, 2019

"You are one of the most incompetent of tablet writers"
I have a somewhat odd question. In 1 Corinthians 7:18 Paul writes that people who are already circumcised should not attempt to become "uncircumcised" or "remove the evidence of his circumcision," without elaborating. Isn't circumcision irreversible? How would "uncircumcision" be accomplished?

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

The real questions of faith. Thank you for bringing this up, I have wondered the same. I imagine fringe genital products/services and their peddlers have not changed at all, ever. See: gas station supplements, popups and the like.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

CrypticFox posted:

I have a somewhat odd question. In 1 Corinthians 7:18 Paul writes that people who are already circumcised should not attempt to become "uncircumcised" or "remove the evidence of his circumcision," without elaborating. Isn't circumcision irreversible? How would "uncircumcision" be accomplished?

IIRC one of the reasons Jews were discouraged from Greek athletic events is that the athletes performed naked and thus Jewish athletes would be tempted to disguise their circumcisions, but assuming I am recalling correctly, the source I read didn't go into any greater detail. Wikipedia says:

quote:

At the neonatal stage, the inner preputial epithelium is still linked with the surface of the glans.[49] The mitzvah is executed only when this epithelium is either removed, or permanently peeled back to uncover the glans.[50] On medical circumcisions performed by surgeons, the epithelium is removed along with the foreskin,[51] to prevent post operative penile adhesion and its complications.[52] However, on ritual circumcisions performed by a mohel, the epithelium is most commonly peeled off only after the foreskin has been amputated. This procedure is called priah (Hebrew: פריעה‎), which means: 'uncovering'. The main goal of "priah" (also known as "bris periah"), is to remove as much of the inner layer of the foreskin as possible and prevent the movement of the shaft skin, what creates the look and function of what is known as a "low and tight" circumcision.[13]

According to Rabbinic interpretation of traditional Jewish sources,[53] the 'priah' has been performed as part of the Jewish circumcision since the Israelites first inhabited the Land of Israel.[54] However, the Oxford Dictionary of the Jewish Religion, states that many Hellenistic Jews attempted to restore their foreskins, and that similar action was taken during the Hadrianic persecution, a period in which a prohibition against circumcision was issued. Thus, the writers of the dictionary hypothesize that the more severe method practiced today was probably begun in order to prevent the possibility of restoring the foreskin after circumcision, and therefore the rabbis added the requirement of cutting the foreskin in periah.[55]

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
There’s a whole online community of people who are angry about having been circumcised as an infant (they consider it genital mutilation) and they have a few techniques to help regrow the foreskin. They don’t work.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Thirteen Orphans posted:

There’s a whole online community of people who are angry about having been circumcised as an infant (they consider it genital mutilation) and they have a few techniques to help regrow the foreskin. They don’t work.

I always roll my eyes whenever I hear somebody try to equate circumcision with cutting off a girl's clitoris.

The most First World of First World Problems.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The foreskin cannot be regenerated but the skin can be stretched a little and the methods used nowadays would have been accessible to the ancients, broadly speaking. I imagine their goal was more along the lines of "I don't stand out as a Jew in situations where my dick's hanging out," which I am told would have been fairly frequent in ancient Greece.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 29, 2021

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

CrypticFox posted:

He's using "circumcision" to refer to the state of being under Mosaic law or not. (Circumcision was the sign that someone had entered into a covenant with God to follow Mosaic law.)

So he's basically saying "If you were a Jew when you converted to Christianity, you don't have to adopt the customs of the gentiles or Greeks, and if you were a gentile or Greek you don't have to follow the laws of Moses after converting to Christianity."

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Please pray for my grandfather, Hal (son of Hope and Southard). My mom just got the call from his hospice nurse and then one from his social worker that while he isn't transitioning yet, it isn't far off.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Nth Doctor posted:

Please pray for my grandfather, Hal (son of Hope and Southard). My mom just got the call from his hospice nurse and then one from his social worker that while he isn't transitioning yet, it isn't far off.

Lord Jesus, please bring Hal close to you in order that he may experience your Heaven and your resurrection. O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

have a good voyage, hal

https://youtu.be/dfe8tCcHnKY

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

So I feel very fortunate. While my Grandfather's care team don't see him as getting better, neither has he begun "transitioning" as my parents put it. I was able to speak to him and his wife tonight. He's still lucid, and cheerful though he couldn't recall Mrs. Doctor's name. I was able to have my kids say hello and tell him that they loved him.

Death and dying stuff.
My father's stepfather, my other grandfather essentially, went into the hospital after a fall last March, tested positive for COVID, developed a UTI, and then passed away on Easter morning last year. I never got a chance to say goodbye to him, let alone my kids. Because of all of the lockdown stresses and such, we didn't even tell them anything until after he had passed.

A UTI is also what happened here, and so in a lot of ways this feels like history echoing. I'm thankful that I was able to call and have a conversation. I'm not sure how many more I'll get.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Nth Doctor posted:

So I feel very fortunate. While my Grandfather's care team don't see him as getting better, neither has he begun "transitioning" as my parents put it. I was able to speak to him and his wife tonight. He's still lucid, and cheerful though he couldn't recall Mrs. Doctor's name. I was able to have my kids say hello and tell him that they loved him.

I'm so glad of that. I was with my father on the day he passed away and it meant the world that I was able to be there, though he wasn't conscious. I feel very lucky that I was able to say goodbye.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012
This year I attended the Maundy Thursday service hosted by my original childhood church, held via Zoom. Attendees were invited to choose an object they had that symbolized hope for them, and hold it up for the camera to see during the offertory hymn. Some of those objects were:
  • 3 or 4 CDC vaccination cards
  • 2 or 3 pictures of kids
  • A candle
  • A Camino de Santiago medallion
  • A Holding Cross (this was my second choice)
  • My Rebel Legion challenge coin (a big, round coin with the Rebel Alliance symbol on it in bright orange).

"In every corner of the galaxy, the downtrodden and oppressed know our symbol and they put their hope in it." - Admiral Amilyn Holdo, The Last Jedi

(Yes, I am a giant nerd. Blessed Triduum, all.)

PurpleButterfly fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Apr 2, 2021

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Spacegrass posted:

Could also mean there is more than one God. Sub-Gods or whatever. Anyway, the confusion is overwhelming to me.

Here's a three minute https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQu8T7b8LpQ and eighteen minutehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrT8qs8HGRo video that discuss this topic.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo
My confirmation / first Communion was tonight, I'm now officially a Catholic!

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Congratulations! Ad multos annos!

By the way, I have heard it on good authority that Christ is risen.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Congratulations! Welcome home.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Hooray!

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Congrats on finding your spiritual home

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Worthleast posted:

Congratulations! Ad multos annos!

He is risen indeed!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Paladinus posted:

He is risen indeed!

It is eerie how I can hear the entire congregation say this despite not going to church in years. The rituals and responses of the christian church are really, really good and awe-inspiring in the old meaning of the word.

Also, happy easter everyone!

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

Hard Fucking Core

Worthleast posted:

Confirmed.

https://twitter.com/iresimpsonsfans/status/1378678148489969664?s=19

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Happy (Western) Easter everyone!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Happy Easter! He is risen wheeee

Saw 'Mary Magdalene' trending on twitter and had a sensible chuckle.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
Happy Easter!

We participated remotely in an Easter service in the town of Ylivieska today. (It was televised nationally.) It was really a moving experience. So many things to tell but I'll list some:

Exactly 5 years ago, the same mass was held next to fresh ruins of the 230-year-old church. A mentally ill person had lit up the church just before Easter and there was no saving it. It burnt down nearly completely. This morning, it was time to bless the new church.

The bishop was there for the blessing. He equated Easter with the burning and building of the church and it just fit. First he blessed the building and then the babtismal bowl, the pulpit and the altar separately. (The big three of Lutheranism besides, you know, Father, Son and Holy Spirit: pulpit for the Word of God and bowl and altar for the sacraments; the three means through which God gives His grace.) Parishioners read relevant passages from the Bible for each blessing. The bishop also talked about how the mere existence of the church is in itself a message, how the building itself evangelizes. I'm usually of the opinion that the circumstances don't matter much, people do, but I have to agree and reverse my views. I have no doubt the the destruction and building of the parish church is worth way more than if the money had been used in some other way and the parish had instead started to rent an auditorium or something for the services. I doubt there are many people in Ylivieska and the surroundings who haven't had to take a long deep thought of what church and all it represents means to them personally.

Also, the retired vicar of the parish was there. He was supposed to retire five years ago at spring, but agreed to keep working a couple of years longer to support the people of the parish in their sorrow. Now he got to lead the first mass of the new church.

In addition there was a bunch of talented musicians, a few other assistants and the camera crew. And then that was it. 700 people could fit inside but because of corona they couldn't be there.

So many things. And to me the most important thing was that our teenager was glued to the screen. He was born in Ylivieska, though we moved out when he was 1.

So good, so blessed.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Christ is risen indeed!

I can never get over how many times John repeats that he won the footrace to the tomb.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Nth Doctor posted:

Christ is risen indeed!

I can never get over how many times John repeats that he won the footrace to the tomb.

Because he was younger and faster, not like the old creaky fisherman Peter (who was probably only three or four years older, but details), and yet he was polite enough to wait, look at all his majesty politeness...

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

zonohedron posted:

Because he was younger and faster, not like the old creaky fisherman Peter (who was probably only three or four years older, but details), and yet he was polite enough to wait, look at all his majesty politeness...

He waited for slow Peter, of course, because he got there first. By being faster. :rice:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Christ is risen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Hi, Thomas the Fact Checker here, and we give this claim of a Risen Christ five Doubting Me's until such time as we are able to personally examine the wounds in this so-called risen...hang on, someone wants to show me something.

(Happy Easter)