Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
This has been a masterful display of collapsing pathetically. Rocking along at almost 10 an over for 14 overs for the loss of no wicket and still getting an absolute hammering when all is said and done.

How every England.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Frauds, the lot of 'em.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
England have announced a five t20 and three test tour to the West Indies next winter with an actual four day first class warm up match scheduled

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

You can tell Tom Curran’s family and friends don’t respect him because they let him leave the house with that haircut.

Pant and Hardik with 5 overs left are going off

BWV fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Mar 26, 2021

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Roy and Bairstow aren't even scoring at 10 an over this time, the collapse is going to be even more painful.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

lol

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
If England lose from here it will be one of the most epic collapses of all time in ODIs. Only 100 away now.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

What a boring game.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
50 from 40 balls, 93 from 49 balls is quite the acceleration

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Looks like they could get 5 if they went for it.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
The collapse is on

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Lol Stokes.

The collapse is on lads. It's gonna be a beaut.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

IT IS ON!

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
now it’s really on

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

Getting the lols warmed up.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
Some good quality PTSD on this page

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Finn Allen is a bust sadly. Shame.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://twitter.com/JimmyNeesh/status/1376098144417501184?s=20

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
India are attempting a last minute England

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Lmao Bangers started their run chase without knowing what the DLS target was.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Finn Allen seems cool imo. I like when he hits the ball. Good to see him prove the naysayers wrong.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnsiZOJjfUg

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sachin has the covid bad enough to be in hospital. My sympathies obviously go out to the people of his native Pakistan.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

the end of this Pakistan-SA ODI is a complete mess. Neither team wants to win.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Yet another change to Umpire's Call, seemingly to keep Virat 'suck my cock' Kohli happy.

If the ICC can't remember why "Umpire's Call" is a thing in the first place, they should all just go and kill each other and leave the game well alone.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
I dunno seems consistent with earlier rule changes and imo reducing the amount of "umpires call" can only be good.

In any case is is like an inch, who cares.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
I like the changes, there's been some nonsensical Not Outs via Umpire's Call for those situations.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I know I am in the minority, but I like Umpires Call.

The more power in the hands of the on field Umpire, the better. And it stops/discourages arsehole Captains from using the DRS as a tactical thing using it on marginal, 50/50 decisions, and only on the proper howlers.

Yeah it sucks when the marginal decisions go against you, but thats always going to be the case

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I agree, I think it’s fine. I’m glad they tweaked rather than eliminated it, but I haven’t read the rule change in any detail

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

BrigadierSensible posted:

I know I am in the minority, but I like Umpires Call.

The more power in the hands of the on field Umpire, the better. And it stops/discourages arsehole Captains from using the DRS as a tactical thing using it on marginal, 50/50 decisions, and only on the proper howlers.

Yeah it sucks when the marginal decisions go against you, but thats always going to be the case

There's still an element of risk removed though because you don't lose your DRS on an Umpires Call.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Hawkeye has confidence limits around the balls position, think umpires call is a useful way of incorporating that.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

tarbrush posted:

I agree, I think it’s fine. I’m glad they tweaked rather than eliminated it, but I haven’t read the rule change in any detail

The only change I read about was that they heightened the strike zone slightly, so that the “wicket” now finishes halfway up the bails rather than at the top of the stumps.

It’s only a few mm but I guess it’ll make a difference.

And I totally agree that Umpires Call should stay, I think there’s been enough dodgy Hawkeye replays that it’s clearly fallible. It’s only really annoying when the on field umpires are hopeless, like Aleem Dar in the 2019 Ashes series.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you're going to start doubting the umpire you should have good reason to be questioning it. They need to be confident, the players should need to be certain.

But poo poo umpires should be kicked down the ladder more often.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

to me the real issue is just with the graphics they use during the review. once someone explained to me how it worked it made complete sense but seeing the image of the ball hitting something is hard to shake and it seems even the players have trouble coming to terms with a ball that "looks" like it hit even if the probability is less decisive.

If there was a way create a different colour or halo zone to signify to the viewer that it's in a fuzzy zone I think that would probably help, especially with the in-the-moment frustrations people feel from seeing something that appears to hit (even though it's less certain)

E: to clarify , I don’t find it to be an issue to begin with but I get why players and people online seem to get frustrated with it.

BWV fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 4, 2021

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I know we don't talk much about women's cricket, but I figured it's worth mentioning the Australian women's team has just notched up their 22nd consecutive ODI victory - the longest winning streak ever in any form of cricket.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
What I don't get is why umpires call exists for where the ball pitches or impacts the batsmen. Those aren't projections, they actually happened. Do the cameras not capture these spots with enough confidence that they need umpires call for them too?

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Thoughts on DeKock's cheating?

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

garycoleisgod posted:

What I don't get is why umpires call exists for where the ball pitches or impacts the batsmen. Those aren't projections, they actually happened. Do the cameras not capture these spots with enough confidence that they need umpires call for them too?

dumb American jumping in but depending on the framerate, yes, there may be smearing of the ball blob or it doesn't exactly catch the moment of impact, etc. and thus Hawkeye or whoever (and thus the ICC) want to cover their rear end -- et voila

e: this is also why I think this rule change is fairly reasonable, because it's openly admitting the system has its limits as much as the umpire does, which is a far cry from the line Hawkeye has sold to, say, Major League Baseball.

SporkOfTruth fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 5, 2021

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mister Chief posted:

Thoughts on DeKock's cheating?

Seems pretty cut and dried to me (and I’m an SA supporter). He and Bavuma pretty much acknowledge that he was trying to fool the batsman. Whether it was cheating per se is an open question but it looks like it definitely did break the rules (unless that is a semantic distinction). It wasn’t concealed or illicit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Its gamesmanship, cricket would not be cricket without massive cuntery. Not a pass because they admitted it, you just don't admit it.