Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

btw a new guy has started whitelisting people for retroarch on retail mode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

It's nice but not unbelievable really. 360 destroyed PS3 and One X was better than PS4 Pro other than exclusives obviously. 2013 to 2017 were the dark times but that's quite a while ago now.

Other than Miles Morales I basically haven't touched my launch PS5. Everything is better on series X.

I mean it's one thing to release the smaller, more powerful, quieter, better looking console. It's another thing to be delivering incredible offerings on gamepass non stop, quick resume being the best next gen feature out of left field, FPS boosts for old titles etc. Xbox is crushing it right now.

e- lol yea also the fact I can play every single game released on any console up til ps2 in retail mode is pretty cool.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

John F Bennett posted:

Is that the Lawnmower Simulator game? I guess it is what it's supposed to be but what's the appeal?

Nostalagia for the days when normal people could afford a lawn.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Really excited about this.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

Exclusives are dumb

Exclusives arent dumb when i play them.
Monhun rise is s good i just gotta give my money up

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
Here's another free game for folks with Xbox Live Gold.

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1378475076950007811?s=21

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Exclusives arent dumb when i play them.
Monhun rise is s good i just gotta give my money up

And this is on pc next year.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I said come in! posted:

And this is on pc next year.

Where i will steal it, bringing balance to the force

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Knockout City is really good and has some decent afro centric hairstyles for a f2p game.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

The PS4 is the God Of War and Bloodbourne machine. The PS5 will be the God of War 2 machine a couple years after the PS5 slim comes out.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Blue Raider posted:

The PS4 is the God Of War and Bloodbourne machine. The PS5 will be the God of War 2 machine a couple years after the PS5 slim comes out.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Super No Vacancy posted:

the thinking gamer simply waits a generation to emulate them on his xbox

gamers' willingness to frame being giant weirdos as a lifehack remains undefeated

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

gamers' willingness to frame being giant weirdos as a lifehack remains undefeated

I remember a guy getting really upset with me for suggesting that people don’t want to gently caress with Raspberry Pi’s or whatever when I said the NES classic would be huge.

He couldn’t understand why people wouldn’t want to gently caress with a bunch of technical poo poo when all they wanted was to play like 1.5 minutes of Excitebike.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

TheAnomaly posted:

Nostalagia for the days when normal people could afford a lawn.
if you want to come mow my yard i will let you do it for free

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Blue Raider posted:

I remember a guy getting really upset with me for suggesting that people don’t want to gently caress with Raspberry Pi’s or whatever when I said the NES classic would be huge.

He couldn’t understand why people wouldn’t want to gently caress with a bunch of technical poo poo when all they wanted was to play like 1.5 minutes of Excitebike.

I had a guy, like, accuse me of being a liar when I said I used my SNES Classic at my desk on monitor 2 semi-regularly. There's something about Nintendo, man.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1228408648302546948

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Emulators are terrible and almost always cause games to have game breaking bugs that prevent them from being completed. They are issues that crop up that wouldn't otherwise happen on their native hardware.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

I said come in! posted:

Emulators are terrible and almost always cause games to have game breaking bugs that prevent them from being completed. They are issues that crop up that wouldn't otherwise happen on their native hardware.

C'mon, that's blatant hyperbole. Unless the only games you're playing are Speedy Gonzales for the SNES, you can complete the vast majority of games with modern emulators.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

you literally just have to install an app from a webpage and then put roms on a thumb drive or ftp them but ok lol

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's been really funny to see this happen with MiSTER fans wherever Analogue news happens. Pop into the comments on any of their GameBoy tweets and there'll be a comment going "Or I'll just play it on MiSTER. :smug:" (Both are great, this is not an indictment on MiSTER.)

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Well that’s my face, mister.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I bet Gamestop is wishing they picked something else to feature on the front page of their ad this week.

Also, am I reading this right? Does the $85 deluxe physical version not come with.... a disc? 😬

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
No point in including a disc these days anyway.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

I said come in! posted:

huh

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

American McGay posted:

Also, am I reading this right? Does the $85 deluxe physical version not come with.... a disc? 😬
The deluxe edition content is tied to your account anyway, so all the disc would give you is a) a regular edition game to resell, making your orphaned content unplayable until you buy digital, b) the physical DRM check to have to keep in your mind and tray (and the PS5, while normally almost as quiet as the Series X, will randomly spin up the drive even if the disc isn't in use, which can get quite annoying)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

No point in including a disc these days anyway.

Yeah Sony and MS both have discless systems so including a disk is foolish

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

American McGay posted:

I bet Gamestop is wishing they picked something else to feature on the front page of their ad this week.

Its a sports game its gonna sell huge numbers to people with zero knowledge of games, gaming, or gamepass.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

I said come in! posted:

:goofy:

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I wonder if I'll be just as bad at The Show as I am at Madden?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I found the last one they gave away to have some fairly complicated mechanical abstractions for pitching/hitting etc but i wasnt giving it a fair shot cause im not into sports games as much as real sports or regular games

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Zerot posted:

Here's another free game for folks with Xbox Live Gold.

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1378475076950007811?s=21

Thanks for the heads-up! Another free game for the evergrowing collection.

edit: Played the tutorial and a single race and uninstalled it. It's no Mario Kart for sure.
Joyride Turbo on game pass is a better kart racer.

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Apr 4, 2021

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Emulators are terrible

Ok Sony

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

I said come in! posted:

This was only widely true in the mid-late 90s, when Nesticle, Genecyst, and ZSNES were the top tier emulators at the time.

Of course emulators can have bugs, but so can real hardware. And given modern display tech, it's sometimes better to play retro games on emulators/FPGA for display and latency enhancements.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Super No Vacancy posted:

btw a new guy has started whitelisting people for retroarch on retail mode
Wait is this still going then? I remember goons speculating that the paid dev mode activation method should be safe but that MS would probably crack down on the retail mode version. Isn't it also better than dev mode because there's no file limit or something?

Super No Vacancy posted:

you literally just have to install an app from a webpage and then put roms on a thumb drive or ftp them but ok lol
Where's that?

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Emulators are cool for checking out random games on a whim. And Breath of the Wild is 100% a better experience in Cemu with higher framerate and resolution.

That said, the input lag is noticeable, especially with older systems. I've been collecting retro consoles then slapping ODEs in them and I built a MiSTer (yes I'm that annoying guy from the post above!). The input lag on those options is almost non-existent compared to emulation. It's a tradeoff most people might not care about, but it's there, and if you're not improving a game in other ways I personally don't think it's worth it.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

3D World is loving amazing in quad res with an Xbox controller, the only reason I haven't checked out the Switch port yet is that I don't want the disappointment. Apparently Bowser's Fury is pretty long, but not €60 long

need to check out the BOTW VR mod one of these days

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

That said, the input lag is noticeable, especially with older systems. I've been collecting retro consoles then slapping ODEs in them and I built a MiSTer (yes I'm that annoying guy from the post above!). The input lag on those options is almost non-existent compared to emulation. It's a tradeoff most people might not care about, but it's there, and if you're not improving a game in other ways I personally don't think it's worth it.

Run-ahead is a feature that's starting to roll out in emulators that can drastically reduce perceived input latency.

It's very impressive but can require a lot more CPU power. Near, the creator of bsnes and higan, has a very in-depth explainer on the tech on his website: https://near.sh/articles/input/run-ahead

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

John F Bennett posted:

Thanks for the heads-up! Another free game for the evergrowing collection.

edit: Played the tutorial and a single race and uninstalled it. It's no Mario Kart for sure.
Joyride Turbo on game pass is a better kart racer.

I clicked the link but I'm not seeing it in my list of games? did I do something wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cloks posted:

C'mon, that's blatant hyperbole. Unless the only games you're playing are Speedy Gonzales for the SNES, you can complete the vast majority of games with modern emulators.

Nope, i've had so many issues trying to play PS1 games lately. Just about every JRPG i've played on ePSXE, i've had to do some troubleshooting of some kind.