Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Do you want the drink to be frozen, or will the ice cream melt as you mix?

I'm interested in the idea. Coffee ice cream is nowhere near my idea of tropical but I definitely want to know what you land on and how it tastes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

BrianBoitano posted:

Coffee ice cream is nowhere near my idea of tropical
Was gonna say, and same for chocolate, but I guess if you consider where they both grow

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

SubG posted:

So...it is true that the mechanism of the "antimicrobial" properties of wood appears to be purely mechanical--that is, because wood is porous moisture wicks into the interior of the wood. There is no known antimicrobial action due to either wood solids or anything that leaches from wood--there isn't anything in the wood itself that kills bacteria.

But any contaminants are just sequestered, not killed. Like, they'll die eventually, but survival is actually fairly long. And even if you don't have any vegetative (that is, active) bacteria you can end up with sporulated bacteria--bacteria that isn't actively growing or reproducing, but has formed spores that can subsequently germinate into active bacteria when the conditions are better. So if the wood is damaged later--e.g., but cutting it with a knife--these contaminants may be released.
Not to be annoying, but the lignins in wood (as well as some of the other organic compounds found in wood) do have some antimicrobial action on their own, for the same reason you have antimicrobial compounds floating around in your blood, saliva and tears. Not sure how relevant it is yo cutting boards though.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

My Lovely Horse posted:

Was gonna say, and same for chocolate, but I guess if you consider where they both grow

Oh definitely! I just usually hear tropical as "tropical fruity" and I don't associate cream at all. I think there's gold in that vein though!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Have you tried searching for mocha rather than coffee+chocolate? I'm seeing results that way.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Make Brandy Alexanders with a coffee bean garnish

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

OK, I have a load of magnolia blossoms. I know you can eat them (Ive just chomped through a few) but what I really want to try is infusing vodka with them.

Will I die if I do this?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

DildenAnders posted:

Not to be annoying, but the lignins in wood (as well as some of the other organic compounds found in wood) do have some antimicrobial action on their own, for the same reason you have antimicrobial compounds floating around in your blood, saliva and tears. Not sure how relevant it is yo cutting boards though.
Lignin isn't water soluble; in order to leach a bunch of lignin out of a wood cutting board you'd have to use a puddle of organic acid. So unless you're carving a xenomorph it's not really relevant. And if you are cutting a xenomorph then all the organic acid is probably more relevant than the lignins.

But that's a theoretical question. Empirically, nothing in the wood has any consistent, measurable antimicrobial effect that accounts for the behaviour in question (that is, an inoculated surface, after being wiped off, not yielding measurable amounts of the inoculated bacteria). Because after Cliver's initial tests produced this novel result, the first thing they did was try to determine if it was something in the wood itself that was producing the effect (by isolating the wood solids from each of the types of wood used in the cutting boards and inoculating them directly, and by isolating leachates and inoculating them). And all of their results were negative. After Cliver, there have been a few published replication studies, and they all replicate the main result (the prophylactic effect in general) and only one or two have reported some weak effect with some specific component of some specific wood variety, with no uniformity on the variety of wood or size of effect. Which is precisely what you'd expect if there was nothing interesting going on with the wood itself and the effect was entirely due to the fact that all of the boards tested were wood at all.

That in turn is supported by other experiments in which cutting boards were destroyed after inoculation at various time intervals, and these uniformly find long survival of bacteria inside the board.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Anne Whateley posted:

Have you tried searching for mocha rather than coffee+chocolate? I'm seeing results that way.

Fuuuck that'll probably do it I'm dumb as hell

mystes posted:

Have you considered just adding instant coffee?

No I have not but I might now

My Lovely Horse posted:

Literally what I was going for lol

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

I'm looking for a goon rec on a saute pan. This pan would be 95% of the time used to cook tilapia filets very hot and fast. Large capacity/size ideally. I suppose I'd be willing to pay up to $100 for this pan.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Mr. Pizza posted:

I'm looking for a goon rec on a saute pan. This pan would be 95% of the time used to cook tilapia filets very hot and fast. Large capacity/size ideally. I suppose I'd be willing to pay up to $100 for this pan.

https://misen.com/products/3-quart-saute-pan

I got this as part of the Misen cookware set I purchased. Fully clad, performs beautifully, comes with a lid, good size, and just under your $100 limit.

EDIT: They have a 6-qt rondeau pan for only $10 more, it's enormous and I actually use it more than the saute pan, but it just has side handles so if you're doing a lot of shaking and agitation it's not the best. Same sentiment as above, though.

The Midniter fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 5, 2021

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

yep, the rondeau is about exactly what I'm looking for, cheers :tipshat:

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Any of you ever play with rice ball presses before? I'm looking at these two: https://www.dx.com/p/1pc-6-holes-sushi-mold-diy-triangle-rice-ball-maker-kitchen-tools-2729966.html?tc=USD&ta=US#.YGuAFuhKjIV https://www.dx.com/p/2pcs-diy-sushi...ml#.YGt_lehKjIV

I'm also going to pick up a rice cooker because now that my baby isn't bottle feeding anymore, I get aaaaaaaaaaalll of my counter space back. I'm not going to go full pinku bento box but if any of you have any baby-sized rice shape molds you like, please share a link?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I sharpened my knives today but one of them has some really bad chips in and despite spending 15m on a 400 grit whetstone still has visible chips. What with there being a pandemic going on getting them professionally sharpened isn't an option so what do I need to grind it down pretty heavily to remove the chips?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Just coarse grit and a lot of rubbing. 400 might be too fine, try like 100.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I have the second molds you linked. Used them two weeks ago actually. They're pretty straight forward and work well.

I'd be wary of the 6 slot one. Not just because it seems like an addition that will make it finicky, but because it doesn't have the flap where you can push the ball out.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Has anyone here ever had any luck making a ragu with ham? It sounds wrong, but I want to do something interesting with my leftover ham and bone.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Fartington Butts posted:

I have the second molds you linked. Used them two weeks ago actually. They're pretty straight forward and work well.

I'd be wary of the 6 slot one. Not just because it seems like an addition that will make it finicky, but because it doesn't have the flap where you can push the ball out.

Gotcha, I had assumed the green plastic bits were silicon but looking back over it I'm not sure why I thought this. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd really like one that makes more than one at a time, I'm planning to make a variety to keep in the fridge to gnosh on during the summer.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Carly Gay Dead Son posted:

Has anyone here ever had any luck making a ragu with ham? It sounds wrong, but I want to do something interesting with my leftover ham and bone.

Not a ragu, but I have made bean soups with smoked chops before

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Jose posted:

I sharpened my knives today but one of them has some really bad chips in and despite spending 15m on a 400 grit whetstone still has visible chips. What with there being a pandemic going on getting them professionally sharpened isn't an option so what do I need to grind it down pretty heavily to remove the chips?

FWIW, the belt sharpener I use starts at 65 grit and that's done wonders for chips on my parents' knives, but you have to go slow to avoid heating the blade.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Am I the only one that thinks basa fillets taste like soft scrambled eggs when cooked?

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
I've got ~400ml of whipping cream (35%) leftover from another recipe, I need something interesting to do with it that isn't just 'whip some cream and stick it on a pie'

Any suggestions?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I use it in soups.

Make a bomb tomato soup.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Make steak au poivre with a green peppercorn cream sauce. Cook steaks, deglaze with brandy, add green peppercorns, a little Dijon mustard and cream, reduce till thick. Season and eat the poo poo out of it.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Spalec posted:

I've got ~400ml of whipping cream (35%) leftover from another recipe, I need something interesting to do with it that isn't just 'whip some cream and stick it on a pie'

Any suggestions?

Yeah, make soup. Tomato bisque, butternut squash bisque, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS0I7mLQIgc

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Homemade Irish cream :getin:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Make a potato gratin

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Make Cranachan, more desserts should involve whisky.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2018/02/cranachan-scottish-whipped-cream-with-whisky-raspberries-and-toasted-oats.html

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
It's probably not okay that my first idea was to pour the cream over cornbread and eat it with a spoon, but you should do that.

What can I do with a ton of skirt steak that isn't grilled or stir-fried? I'm so tired of delicious Brazilian bbq...

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Skirt steak jerky

mystes
May 31, 2006

fizzymercury posted:

It's probably not okay that my first idea was to pour the cream over cornbread and eat it with a spoon, but you should do that.
This will just make you regret the fact that you're not eating a tres leches cake, IMO.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Spalec posted:

Any suggestions?

Butter chicken

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Mix it with egg yolks and sugar to make custard/creme brulee

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Bluedeanie posted:

Butter chicken

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Creme fraiche!

Hauki
May 11, 2010

:hai:

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Spalec posted:

Any suggestions?

Biscuits and/or sausage gravy.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Scientastic posted:

OK, I have a load of magnolia blossoms. I know you can eat them (I’ve just chomped through a few) but what I really want to try is infusing vodka with them.

Will I die if I do this?

Since no-one answered this, I tried it anyway. After two days, I made an infusion of rotting flowers, the smell of which made me retch.

Next year, I will try again, but with dried petals instead.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Suggest me your favourite meals made with shelf stable ingredients - my new fridge is bust and won't be fixed til Monday at the earliest. So far it's veg chilli, veg curry, pasta... but I'm feeling uninspired for the rest of the week and also for lunches. Too used to being able to store leftovers and things!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Scientastic posted:

Since no-one answered this, I tried it anyway. After two days, I made an infusion of rotting flowers, the smell of which made me retch.

Next year, I will try again, but with dried petals instead.

I must have missed the other post. But yes, when making infusions like that you typically want to use dried flavorings. It's like making tea.