Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
As someone that likes both games it's a fair opinion, they're both good but one is more ground-based and less hyper, which seems to suit Woolie's playstyle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

As a bi woman with absolutely poo poo taste even i could not stand Chloe. I don't know who that character is for.

The people who realize that Max is functioning and stop self inserting as her.

Tupperwarez posted:

Liam's good zingers barely made up for his contrarian bullshit, and Matt's sandbagging got really loving dire towards the end.

Liam's the guy who once said "the real Ryu" and it took eight seconds for them to realize he meant Breath of Fire. Liam is the best.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

SBFC 014: Escalate Immediately to Gun Violence.

More than half of this episode is an in-depth interview about Killer Instinct as a launch product. I played that game from launch to its final season prior to it getting a second life via COVID so I just kinda bowed out. KI at launch was a bad game and it's kinda hard to go back to an hour plus talking about a flawed, launch console FG.

On that note, this episode is honestly kind of middling despite the banger rear end title. Letter time had a pretty good segment I'll go into detail on. First question asks the gang if they could remove a title from existing from their favorite franchise, what would it be. Woolie obviously defaults to DMC 2, Liam mentions Lords of Shadows from Castlevania. First one is the easy, no work choice, but Liam mentioning Lords of Shadow and its' 2 subsequent games reminded me those exist. That entire series was a lot of wasted potential, especially since LoS kinda holds up as an ok GoW game with a really interesting story.

Matt and Pat both have some wild takes that got me feeling some kinda way. Matt mentions wanting to erase Symphony of the Night because he prefers original Castlevania, thus prompting "Woolie, get the guns" and "Escalate immediately to gun violence". I can understand this take, but Matt specifically went after the DS games citing that "Castlevania used to be a big name, console thing" and even if SoTN never happened, I don't think we even have Castlevania or if we do then it is a DS game series.

Pat mentioned RE5 over RE6 which, I completely agree with. I played like 50 hours of RE5 to get that 1000 achievement points and every issue folk had with RE6 started in RE5. RE5 just had the slight benefit of the doubt as being "the experimental follow up to RE4" versus RE6 being "this needs to be perfect also I guess Revelations came out and is what this game could be".

All in all, sleeper episode, but much like last time, the next episode is "How Hath God Blighted Pat" so we're in for a real one.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Man, I reinstalled Arkham City to see if I misremembered the combat (I know it's more polished than Asylum, but it's the same core mechanics), and I just do not understand what gave Woolie so much trouble. Batman flies across the room with the slightest input, and everyone's tells are extremely clear. It makes a bit more sense if he never learned that the analog stick determines who you attack, which is what it looked like, but I don't get how you could play for more than a few minutes without doing that accidentally.

The one thing I can kinda see being tricky are counters, since it's not obvious that direction + triangle will magnetize batman into countering a strike from across the room until you try it, but I'm honestly kind of impressed at how hard it is to make that system look as awkward and unfun as the LP.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Omi no Kami posted:

Man, I reinstalled Arkham City to see if I misremembered the combat (I know it's more polished than Asylum, but it's the same core mechanics), and I just do not understand what gave Woolie so much trouble.
Keep in mind that Woolie has a mind like a steel trap. It latches onto the first idea that activates it, and never lets go. Also the idea is permanently maimed.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'm amazed he has avoided the topic coming up on the podcast.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Omi no Kami posted:

Man, I reinstalled Arkham City to see if I misremembered the combat (I know it's more polished than Asylum, but it's the same core mechanics), and I just do not understand what gave Woolie so much trouble. Batman flies across the room with the slightest input, and everyone's tells are extremely clear. It makes a bit more sense if he never learned that the analog stick determines who you attack, which is what it looked like, but I don't get how you could play for more than a few minutes without doing that accidentally.

The one thing I can kinda see being tricky are counters, since it's not obvious that direction + triangle will magnetize batman into countering a strike from across the room until you try it, but I'm honestly kind of impressed at how hard it is to make that system look as awkward and unfun as the LP.

I think that if Woolie had attempted any of the combat challenges that he had unlocked off-stream, most of his issues would have been dealt with in like ten minutes

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So Yakuza co-op may be on hold indefinitely cause the reason why Little V is on hiatus is because his mother has terminal lung cancer.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Oh jesus, that's horrible.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/LittleVMills/status/1377993563200315399

Yeah, here's his announcement. That sucks, poor dude.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Yeah poor guy... really feel for him. :( Hope he's doing okay.

JOSEPH SAMOAN
Jun 13, 2010

Oof. Poor guy

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Omi no Kami posted:

I played Asylum again recently, and it has kind of reverse-sequel jump problem like having to go from Doom Eternal back to Doom 2016, where the sequel ramps up the combat so hard that when you go back to the slower first game, you can kind of get wrecked because your rhythm is off. You tend to be able to magnetize to enemies more easily and over longer distances in the Arkham sequels as well.

When people call Arkham games "rhythm games" they're really understating it. If you want to hit an enemy in Arkham games, you really just have to point the joystick in the right direction, and I think Woolie is really overthinking the mechanics of the combat like it's Tsushima or something.

I am gonna say that I wasn't really fond of the stealth gameplay until Arkham Knight. The appeal of stealth in the first three games was that it was fun to freak out the enemies so that you could feel like Batman, but most of the stealth arenas could be simply beaten using nothing but gargoyle takedowns unless you wanted to go for variety.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Aside from liking the fact that enemies and helpful NPCs are all on that Hugh Jackman regimen in the first game, Batman being such a buzzkill in every scene and the weird way every lady gets written, I think the worst part of the series is that you never get a ground counter when you're in the middle of a takedown.

Also I miss being able to throw people when I get enough of a combo going. Everyone kept saying that you can knock people off the roofs in Arkham City but it never happened to me; they were all shielded by invisible walls once a fight started in my experience. Is that a thing that only exists in other versions or something?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
You can't do it regularly, but you can glitch them off the roof occasionally. Seems to happen mostly when you hit them at high speed, like from a dive kick.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

as a man unable to deal with a game without goals, pat really shouldn't have gone anywhere near kenshi. not a recommended watch unless you wanna watch him completely fail to understand anything about anything. Not that it's his fault really, the game has no introduction to speak of, but its amazing nobody warned him beforehand

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Just tell Pat to play a torso man and kill the big mechanical man boss, he'll be running at 40mph on machine legs in no time.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Indecisive posted:

kenshi...completely fail to understand anything about anything.

That's just the normal beginner Kenshi experience

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
yeah kenshi is ~12 hours of bumblefucking around unless you have a guide

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Yeah and that'd be a terrible stream and I'm certainly not gonna ask him to use his free time on it. Asking a streamer who doesn't play Kenshi to play it is asking for a bad time.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Indecisive posted:

as a man unable to deal with a game without goals, pat really shouldn't have gone anywhere near kenshi. not a recommended watch unless you wanna watch him completely fail to understand anything about anything. Not that it's his fault really, the game has no introduction to speak of, but its amazing nobody warned him beforehand

It's why I'm amazed he got super into Warframe, because that has no real goals to begin with either. I dropped it just cuz so often it just kinda shrugged and assumed you knew what to do.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There is a goal for Pat to attain in warframe, which was the story and the plot twist. After that, momentum and friends kept him going.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Is there a good moron’s guide to the game? I keep musing about messing with it. Beforeiplay has a decent entry on it, but it’s pretty indecipherable though well written.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

loving around and trying to figure poo poo out while getting dislimbed by Beak things or whatever horrible other experience you can find is the intended experience imo

Andrast fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 3, 2021

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Warbird posted:

Is there a good moron’s guide to the game? I keep musing about messing with it. Beforeiplay has a decent entry on it, but it’s pretty indecipherable though well written.

The one big tip I can't possibly over-emphasize is to not start a town early. You hit a point fairly early on where it's like "gently caress, all of the really rad poo poo requires crafting, crafting requires outdoor facilities, building those facilities requires my own town."

So, I've got a tip about that: gently caress that town. The instant you build a town, massive rape gangs of bandits will start spawning and steamrolling your brand-new settlement over, and over, and also over again.

See, towns are basically supposed to be a late midgame activity at earliest, and they're balanced for a marauding group of murder-hungry killing machines, not a party of half-starved desert ho-bros. So what you want to do is buy some bigass buildings in a town that has guards (I like the towns in the border zone for this), then build a crafting chain with whatever you can build inside said bigass buildings.

Also, stealing poo poo is awesome. It sucks hard poo poo for about 1-2 in-game nights, because you'll constantly be failing to pick locks or pick poo poo up, but your klepto-related skills all level pretty quickly with 10-20 minutes of quicksave/fuckup/quickload, and once they're even marginal you can yoink thousands of dollars worth of poo poo every night.

Oh, and that thing where every single battle is a gankfest where 20+ dudes curbstomp you into a coma and then rape your body? That's pretty much the intended gameplay experience. Combat is highly lethal for a long time, and the only real way to get better is to get your rear end beat. (I recommend finding gangs of dudes with clubs to beat on you.)

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

yeah, you need to start with a house in a city most of the time before making your own.

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006

Warbird posted:

A pretty solid start is surprisingly the one where you begin as a slave within the holy empire/kingdom/whatever and spend a few weeks getting beaten near to death by guards while trying to escape. By the time you get out of there, all your theivery related stats are going to be pretty high and like Omi no Kami said, stealing poo poo IS awesome.

-e-
Also, staging a mass breakout is hilarious.

Belgian Waffle fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 4, 2021

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

JOJO JOJO JOJO JOJO JOJO JOJO

https://twitter.com/anime_jojo/status/1378654840499236869?s=19

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Sick. Was WB involved in previous seasons?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

The announcement livestream was such a trainwreck, 40 bucks to view it, english subs were duwang.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Nalesh posted:

The announcement livestream was such a trainwreck, 40 bucks to view it, english subs were duwang.

Wouldn’t want it any other way. Sucks about your $40.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Why the hell was it 40$? Did it come with a code for an Iggy mount in some Jojos MMO?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Oxyclean posted:

Why the hell was it 40$? Did it come with a code for an Iggy mount in some Jojos MMO?

The anime industry thrives on overcharging people who will bitch and moan and then pay the price anyway

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Blockhouse posted:

The anime industry thrives on overcharging people who will bitch and moan and then pay the price anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWw9aBt_Jpc

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I woke up and saw the video on twitter lol get owned whoever paid

e: man, i can't wait six months from now when Woolie finally gets around to beating P5S and starts talking about how the main-ish villain was totally right tho

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 5, 2021

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
I wonder what kind of cop Woolie and Reggie are going to be in Disco Elysium

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

does it let you start a church

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Lol Pat felt so bad when he listened to Empathy when it told him to play matchmaker.

And then 10 seconds later he realized that doing it gave him booze so he decided it was worth it.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Man, having reinstalled and re-played Kenshi for a bit, I love how even though Pat's complaints were all totally legit, and he had a ton of them, he genuinely never managed to find any of the really jank poo poo. (I also like how Woolie started at 'Kenshi looks like Zeno Clash', and the rest of his bit was just him mapping zeno clash stuff to kenshi.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

(I also like how Woolie started at '<thing> looks like <other thing>', and the rest of his bit was just him mapping <other thing> stuff to <thing>.)