Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

:thunk: Came across this while browsing, and instantly thought of this manga. Article is pop science, don't give too much credence: https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/green-tech/a35970222/radioactive-diamond-battery-will-run-for-28000-years/

quote:

To build its nano diamond battery, NDB combines radioactive isotopes from nuclear waste with layers of paneled nano diamonds. Diamonds are a rare thing to begin with, but their extremely good heat conductance makes them even more unusual in the realm of construction of devices. Micro-sized single crystal diamonds move heat away from the radioactive isotope materials so quickly that the transaction generates electricity.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_battery
https://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/nuclear-diamond-batteries/

I always figured the Medusa were wholly invented for the purposes of the story but the diamond battery part of it seems to have at least slight grounding in reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I was wondering how far theyre going to stay in real world science until they have to dip into sci-fi. And im glad it seems to be ver far.

However if the medusas run on the same idea as that diamond battery team south america just exposed themselves to a shitload of radioactive sources as they broke them apart.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Well Shiiiiiiiiiiitttttt

So we're getting a full reset/timeskip? Have we seen anyone surreptitiously out of the action who could be primed for a sooner revival with some fluid? Otherwise we're probably getting a real long term reset while senku and Xeno try to mind race towards being revived first.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Finally!

Z=191. Divine Scream Down to Earth.
Mangaplus
Viz

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

SKULL.GIF posted:

Finally!

Z=191. Divine Scream Down to Earth.
Mangaplus
Viz

drat your speculation was right on.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Damnn that was intense

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Electric Phantasm posted:

drat your speculation was right on.

I've been a huge Inagaki fan ever since Eyeshield 21. When he lays out internal rules for his stories, he follows them.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Crain posted:

Well Shiiiiiiiiiiitttttt

So we're getting a full reset/timeskip? Have we seen anyone surreptitiously out of the action who could be primed for a sooner revival with some fluid? Otherwise we're probably getting a real long term reset while senku and Xeno try to mind race towards being revived first.

I have to assume that someone at Senku's squad at least tried to set something up.

The real issue will be their villages in Japan, who are about to be stoned and I think were using for triangulation purposes. Unless they have gotten a warning out to them to at least try to prepare for it.

Eeepies posted:

Damnn that was intense

tied between seeing the woman get holes blown through her arm and joel having his arm snapped off for most "OOF" moment

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Thoughts on the chapter now that I've properly digested it:
  • Remember when we all thought Inagaki was culling the cast back at the start of this arc? I'm really glad to see everyone get face time and continue to make important contributions, particularly the former villains.
  • Magma!!!
  • Brody's taking this pretty hard on pages 2 and 11.
  • Gosh this typically nonviolent manga has been exceptionally violent for the past four or five chapters. Even knowing that they'll get revived, the sudden spike in violence has really given these chapters a lot of impact and intensity.
  • Joel!!!

Speculation/wondering on what's about to happen:
  • Will the petrification wave make it to South America in time? We know it takes some time to travel the world, we might get some permadeaths :(
  • Chrome's auto-reviver is going to be the next scientific device acquired, but...
  • Why-Man's sending the petrification order at regular intervals. Even if Chrome's auto-revive device works (and he had time to set it up) the Medusa will just activate again the next time the radio wave signal arrives at Joel's watch.
  • How fast will the Medusa run out of juice? Does a single Medusa even have enough power to zap the entire world? The ziggurat at Manaus had millions of Medusae.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

Thoughts on the chapter now that I've properly digested it:
  • Remember when we all thought Inagaki was culling the cast back at the start of this arc? I'm really glad to see everyone get face time and continue to make important contributions, particularly the former villains.
  • Magma!!!
  • Brody's taking this pretty hard on pages 2 and 11.
  • Gosh this typically nonviolent manga has been exceptionally violent for the past four or five chapters. Even knowing that they'll get revived, the sudden spike in violence has really given these chapters a lot of impact and intensity.
  • Joel!!!

Speculation/wondering on what's about to happen:
  • Will the petrification wave make it to South America in time? We know it takes some time to travel the world, we might get some permadeaths :(
  • Chrome's auto-reviver is going to be the next scientific device acquired, but...
  • Why-Man's sending the petrification order at regular intervals. Even if Chrome's auto-revive device works (and he had time to set it up) the Medusa will just activate again the next time the radio wave signal arrives at Joel's watch.
  • How fast will the Medusa run out of juice? Does a single Medusa even have enough power to zap the entire world? The ziggurat at Manaus had millions of Medusae.

I suspect that a single diamond is going to be out of juice with one use of "do a significant chunk of the planet."

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

If it still follows some scientific principles for the Medusae, setting off more of them shouldn't boost the beam, as each has a set power and that does not add up. It's not a point source anyway as the beam hugs the surface.
All the Medusae in the ziggurat were spent. Which makes you wonder how they were triggered. If they all fell at once, how loud of a command do you need to trigger the ones on the other side? The Medusae also kept falling, as you can see what happened on the island.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I think there's a trick there. There has to be a reason for why there were millions of Medusa at Manaus. It's not just an arbitrary thing, Inagaki showed us the abundance of Medusa for an explicit reason.

What do we know?
  • Byakuya and the other astronauts only saw a single (or what they thought was a single) wave. That means the original wave wasn't staggered.
  • We know the effect doesn't weaken based on distance. If it zaps you point blank or if it zaps you from across the planet, you're stoned just as thoroughly.
  • We know the effect can be somehow programmed to zap specific lifeforms. The test wave was on the swallows, the second, actual wave was tuned for humans.
  • Why-Man is giving a very specific order, 12.8 million meters, enough to encompass the earth. I think it's safe to assume Why-Man knows the Medusa can actually reach that far, he wouldn't specify a distance exceeding the actual reach of the Medusa.
  • The Treasure Island Medusa seems to have been working just fine for a long time with Kirisame precision zapping people. It only runs out of power after Ibara zaps the entire island... but still has enough juice to zap Ryusui and Ibara a couple more times, then doesn't even pulse again after that.
  • There were multiple Medusa dropped onto Matsukaze's village. Why? One would've been sufficient to engulf an entire village.
  • There were millions of Medusa dropped at one specific point on Manaus. If it was range-limited, why wouldn't Why-Man seed the entire planet in a line via orbiting it, THEN activate them?

I'm guessing that the Medusa doesn't run out of juice based on range, but based on how many people it affects. Each given Medusa only has enough juice to stone, let's say, 1000 people? This is why Ibara and Kirisame were able to use it for so long without experiencing any issues, up until briefly after Ibara stoned the entire island including the villagers. It'd be why there were multiple Medusa were dropped onto Matsukaze's village, it's why there were millions at Manaus, enough to affect billions of humans.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

SKULL.GIF posted:

I think there's a trick there. There has to be a reason for why there were millions of Medusa at Manaus. It's not just an arbitrary thing, Inagaki showed us the abundance of Medusa for an explicit reason.

What do we know?
  • Byakuya and the other astronauts only saw a single (or what they thought was a single) wave. That means the original wave wasn't staggered.
  • We know the effect doesn't weaken based on distance. If it zaps you point blank or if it zaps you from across the planet, you're stoned just as thoroughly.
  • We know the effect can be somehow programmed to zap specific lifeforms. The test wave was on the swallows, the second, actual wave was tuned for humans.
  • Why-Man is giving a very specific order, 12.8 million meters, enough to encompass the earth. I think it's safe to assume Why-Man knows the Medusa can actually reach that far, he wouldn't specify a distance exceeding the actual reach of the Medusa.
  • The Treasure Island Medusa seems to have been working just fine for a long time with Kirisame precision zapping people. It only runs out of power after Ibara zaps the entire island... but still has enough juice to zap Ryusui and Ibara a couple more times, then doesn't even pulse again after that.
  • There were multiple Medusa dropped onto Matsukaze's village. Why? One would've been sufficient to engulf an entire village.
  • There were millions of Medusa dropped at one specific point on Manaus. If it was range-limited, why wouldn't Why-Man seed the entire planet in a line via orbiting it, THEN activate them?

I'm guessing that the Medusa doesn't run out of juice based on range, but based on how many people it affects. Each given Medusa only has enough juice to stone, let's say, 1000 people? This is why Ibara and Kirisame were able to use it for so long without experiencing any issues, up until briefly after Ibara stoned the entire island including the villagers. It'd be why there were multiple Medusa were dropped onto Matsukaze's village, it's why there were millions at Manaus, enough to affect billions of humans.

There were quite a few duds in the pile and the medusae on the island were dropped later, so they might be just more efficient/reliable. The one in the US is one of the newer ones.
Basing the power-requirement on how many people were affected is weird, since how should it interact from such a long distance? The petrification itself is special, too, since it heals people upon depretrification, long after the device is out of power.

Maybe the whole pile is full of rejects and only the final one actually succeded.

-e-
"12800km. 78 hours."
If it dropped from the moon.

-e2-
Why was there no visible beam for the birds?

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 4, 2021

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Crain posted:

Well Shiiiiiiiiiiitttttt

Chrom had an idea for a timed ressurction device. There’s no way that this will not be the solution.

Also :suspense: at this chapter

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I hope there are consequences for this, it’s going to feel weird if everyone is fine and dandy after such a desperate suicide run. I guess Hyoga and Tsukasa dying, and Joel losing his arm, would make the most sense? And I sure hope no one in Japan is climbing a tree or swimming when they get petrified...

Also there’s the problem of the Medusa’s speed. The one on treasure island moved at like 40mph but it’s possible that was just because it was almost out of juice. If the new Medusa is the same as the initial wave then it’ll still take a few minutes to reach Senku’s team though.

EDIT: Comedy option: There’s no revival fluid shenanigans and we get another 3500 year timeskip

RatHat fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 4, 2021

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Dr Stone: Rocks fall, everyone dies

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Vengarr posted:

Dr Stone: Rocks fall, everyone is rocks

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Dr Stone: Don't Worry, I'll get Their Rocks Off

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I was looking over old posts to see what else we were speculating on and discussing and came across this from almost 1 year ago today...

SKULL.GIF posted:

I feel like this is Inagaki telegraphing that the America arc is going to involve a lot of combat.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Oh I didn't know the writer of Dr. Stone also wrote Eyeshield 21, though now that you mention it I see some similarities. Eyeshield was a fun little sports manga. It always makes me grin how it treated the ~option pass~ as a game-changing move.

Auto-reviver has to be the move here, but I wonder if they were able to get that set up over in Japan.

The story's already been on a fairly long time scale by shonen standards, or at least it's seemed that was since it acknowledged the fairly long travel times that were happening. I really respect Dr. Stone for leaning into that and saying "Oh that progress you think you were on the road to making? We're gonna pretty much wipe that out, but do it in a way where we could do a time-skip and have our heroes basically at where they were about to be in a handful of chapters."

We gotta get that rocketship and find out what the hell is up with Why-man eventually, so I expect some wild story moments in the future, but this has to be the biggest one in the manga so far. Lots of interesting ways to go from this, though this has to be a major win for the Stone Crew. I hope the anime keeps going and catches up to this chapter. I haven't really been watching the anime (though I've caught some highlights), but these last few chapters leading up to this big climax have a ton of anime potential.

It's fun to see Jump continuing to publish something that isn't following the standard Shonen battle manga formula as well, though I suppose they always have been. Basically I'm just glad they keep having some variety in their output.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

I wonder if they're gonna try to tie back in that byakuya spin-off manga that they did....what was it a year ago now?

I'm sure the robot girl will be curious about the fact that the flash of light that happened back in the day has happened again

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I loving hope not.
The byakuya spinoff was crap and was just boichi spinning back to his some of his worst hits from origin.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I loving hope not.
The byakuya spinoff was crap and was just boichi spinning back to his some of his worst hits from origin.

:same:

I'm annoyed at how misleading the title of "Dr. Stone: Byakuya" was and focused on the completely wrong character.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

If they are talking to Joel in NA, they can communicate back to Japan as well and set up a revival device there

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I question if the repaired medusa has enough juice to hit the whole planet since it took a mountain of them apparently to do it last time. They better hope it has the juice to hit both groups though- which I imagine it will since 80% of the cast being perforated is probably not the sort of ending people would like.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I still don't get the motivations of these Americans. What is their problem anyway? First contact and they tried to shoot up a bunch of kids. Corn farmers must be murderous assholes. I hope, for once, they decided to leave some villains as stone. They're dangerous for the future of all humanity. At least Tsukasa had some ideals.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Fabricated posted:

I question if the repaired medusa has enough juice to hit the whole planet since it took a mountain of them apparently to do it last time. They better hope it has the juice to hit both groups though- which I imagine it will since 80% of the cast being perforated is probably not the sort of ending people would like.

If it has enough range to go from California to Brazil, it will also reach Japan.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Flubby posted:

I still don't get the motivations of these Americans. What is their problem anyway? First contact and they tried to shoot up a bunch of kids. Corn farmers must be murderous assholes. I hope, for once, they decided to leave some villains as stone. They're dangerous for the future of all humanity. At least Tsukasa had some ideals.

Just a guess but there might be a slight influence from how Americans are viewed around the world.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Dr. Stone: To save humanity, everyone must get stoned.

:tviv: The action has been ramping up like crazy this arc and now I don't know what the gently caress to expect.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Dr. Stone - "We Are All Ready." *dead*

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
I suspect action like this is part of why Boichi was tapped as an artist. He goes wild with big finale brutality where a lot of people should be dead but pull through somehow in Sun Ken Rock, so seeing Inagaki leverage Boichi's proven skill there makes sense, even if it diffuses the stakes a little.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Flubby posted:

The same as basically every villain in this series: maintain a monopoly of force by controlling the availability of science and/or revival methods, and using it to rule their particular pocket of humanity and shape society to their liking.

Originally, their immediate motivation was to increase the population. Xeno's revival fluid was far less effective than Senku's, and there weren't any villages around for Xeno to stumble across, so they were lacking in manpower compared to Team Japan. They wanted to recruit Senku's team to be their labor force, and figured demonstrating their scientific mastery and advanced weapons would be the quickest way to dissuade any potential resistance.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Flubby posted:

My friend have you seen America?

Especially since as we saw in the first chapter this America was frozen with Trump as president.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

DizzyBum posted:

Dr. Stone: To save humanity, everyone must get stoned.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Animation Delivers Thorough Rambunctious Wholesomeness > Dr. Stone: To Save Humanity, Everyone Must Get Stoned

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Mikl posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Animation Delivers Thorough Rambunctious Wholesomeness > Dr. Stone: To Save Humanity, Everyone Must Get Stoned

:5:

I'm torn between wanting everyone of our goons to survive and having some casualties to drive the stakes. :ohdear:

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I think Inigaki had a more positive opinion of Americans when he wrote Eyeshield 21 but yeah, can't blame him for his change of outlook.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Flubby posted:

I don’t think confiscating the literal doomsday device was out of line.

They probably weren’t expecting the reaction to be a suicidal banzai charge either.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
The American group was also heavily weighted in Xeno's favor in terms of power dynamics and Xeno is a sociopath with delusions of godhood. So yeah, that's why the Americans are like this, but as we've seen there's plenty in the group who were decent people who had to go along because Xeno was the only game in town.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I Am Fowl posted:

The American group was also heavily weighted in Xeno's favor in terms of power dynamics and Xeno is a sociopath with delusions of godhood. So yeah, that's why the Americans are like this, but as we've seen there's plenty in the group who were decent people who had to go along because Xeno was the only game in town.

Even outside Xeno and Stanley, people like Maya, Brody, and Charlotte have all been shown to immediately resort to violence as (one of) their first response(s).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

SKULL.GIF posted:

Even outside Xeno and Stanley, people like Maya, Brody, and Charlotte have all been shown to immediately resort to violence as (one of) their first response(s).

It should be noted that most of Xeno's people were handpicked from elite American military forces, of course they're predisposed to violence, they were intentionally selected for talent and bloodthirstyness.

Notice that none of the non-Xeno civilians we've seen (Luna, Chelsea, Carlos, Max, Joel and his boss) seem particularly violent at all. Luna pretty much had to have a gun held to her head to be an accessory to murder, and even then immediately started helping the victim to recover to the best of her abilities.

If anything, it's more commentary on the state of American government and military culture rather than Americans on the whole.