Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I saw Flaming Lips open for Ween at Red Rocks in 06 and they loving killed, but yeah when I saw them headline back in 2015ish they weren't great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Flaming Lips were never my thing, but I gave it an honest shot and they continue to be not my thing.

Worth it for the shot I got, though:

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I saw The Flaming Lips at the Sydney Opera House back in 2019 doing their Soft Bulletin 20th anniversary show. They had the same energy as when I first saw them in 2003, and it erased my disappointment from their shows in 2009/2011. It was loud and joyful and beautiful.

I still consider At War with the Mystics to be their last good album; nothing since has really done anything for me, especially the last few. But they can still be amazing live.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I saw the Flaming Lips when they were Beck's backing band and they also did their own set as openers. It was pretty wild. Really lovely venue to see them in as it was a theater with chairs and really tight aisles. No one wants to sit for a Flaming Lips show!?

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

So, my AT LP120X order got cancelled from the place offering it for 250.

Anyone else have an alternative idea for a ~$200-300 player that's decent or a reputable retailer?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

sporklift posted:

I saw the Flaming Lips when they were Beck's backing band and they also did their own set as openers. It was pretty wild. Really lovely venue to see them in as it was a theater with chairs and really tight aisles. No one wants to sit for a Flaming Lips show!?

Same. Cleveland in about 2002 or so? Similar experience. It was really cool because I thought they were finished, then when Beck came out he was mostly doing acoustic guitar stuff on a stool, for maybe 20 mins or so, then during a song there was a band backing him up and the curtain rose and it was the Flaming Lips for the rest of the show.

During that same show there was a parade of furries and it was really something.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Flaming Lips and Beck would be a pretty great bill. I caught the Midnite Vultures tour where he had The Roots opening, and that was pretty killer.

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

graham cracker posted:

Anyone else have an alternative idea for a ~$200-300 player that's decent or a reputable retailer?

I really like the u-turn orbit in that range. Around $250 if you want the built in preamp in a variety of colors. That said, you won’t get USB, but they’re great starter turntables with excellent customer support.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

graham cracker posted:

You can get a working vintage deck for a lot cheaper. They can be a lot of fun and a lot of them are simple enough machines that they’re easy to maintain and fix if anything goes wrong. The other end of the spectrum from what you’re looking at, but gets you to the same place.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Chinook posted:

Same. Cleveland in about 2002 or so? Similar experience. It was really cool because I thought they were finished, then when Beck came out he was mostly doing acoustic guitar stuff on a stool, for maybe 20 mins or so, then during a song there was a band backing him up and the curtain rose and it was the Flaming Lips for the rest of the show.

During that same show there was a parade of furries and it was really something.

Yeah. I think they would randomly choose audience members before the show to put on animal costumes and dance with flashlights. I think this was kinda before furies were really a thing. The Flaming Lips had a projector playing medical surgery videos behind them and Wayne was covered in blood during What is the Light. It was super awesome/disturbing/melancholy/trippy. I also remember Beck didn't really seem to be into some of the songs that the Flaming Lips chose as he was touring off of Sea Change and the Lips wanted to do Midnight Vultures stuff.

Anyway I might have been drinking a bit when I ordered this.

https://www.ridingeasyrecs.com/product/brown-acid-combo-set/

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

sporklift posted:

Yeah. I think they would randomly choose audience members before the show to put on animal costumes and dance with flashlights. I think this was kinda before furies were really a thing. The Flaming Lips had a projector playing medical surgery videos behind them and Wayne was covered in blood during What is the Light. It was super awesome/disturbing/melancholy/trippy. I also remember Beck didn't really seem to be into some of the songs that the Flaming Lips chose as he was touring off of Sea Change and the Lips wanted to do Midnight Vultures stuff.

Anyway I might have been drinking a bit when I ordered this.

https://www.ridingeasyrecs.com/product/brown-acid-combo-set/

quote:

With ten Brown Acid records already released and no end to the series in sight, we figured the time was right to release the first ten records in a single, affordable batch. No color is guaranteed, you might get a clear, two reds a black and a white or maybe they’ll all be purple. Who knows! It’s part of the game.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

No color is guaranteed

Yeah. Honestly just give me plain black records any day. Except 7" records, those are cool as colored vinyls. I just wonder how many will be warped...

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
That no color guaranteed thing sounds like either they're repackaging overstock or having the factory use up their weird colors. The only other record I have that was a random color was Rob Scallon's art/math rock record.

For bonus lol I was once talking to the guy at the counter of the local cork sniffing record shop who was making GBS threads on the audio quality of tri colored records. I've got two and I can't say that I notice any difference in audio quality at all. Granted that's a tiny sample size.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

That no color guaranteed thing sounds like either they're repackaging overstock or having the factory use up their weird colors. The only other record I have that was a random color was Rob Scallon's art/math rock record.

Same, but Rob Schneider’s art/math rock record. Weird coincidence.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Turbinosamente posted:

That no color guaranteed thing sounds like either they're repackaging overstock or having the factory use up their weird colors. .

Yeah maybe. I have seen the random color thing a few times. More with 45s. The set was delayed because they were waiting on a fresh repress of one of the volumes.?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Thrift store finds this week:

Non-thrift store (from the past couplea weeks):

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 3, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

Yeah. Honestly just give me plain black records any day. Except 7" records, those are cool as colored vinyls. I just wonder how many will be warped...

Why aren't all of the records brown? How did they miss that?

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

CPL593H posted:

Why aren't all of the records brown? How did they miss that?

It did say random. Some might be brown. it would be pretty awesome if every volume was on brown wax.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

sporklift posted:

It did say random. Some might be brown. it would be pretty awesome if every volume was on brown wax.

What I discovered recently is that black records are often not pure black. If you look at them under a bright LED light you can see all kinds of swirly patterns in them like you'll see in the novelty color ones.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

CPL593H posted:

What I discovered recently is that black records are often not pure black. If you look at them under a bright LED light you can see all kinds of swirly patterns in them like you'll see in the novelty color ones.

I have a copy of The Police's Synchronicity that looks black, but looks purple when you shine a strong light through it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Mister Kingdom posted:

I have a copy of The Police's Synchronicity that looks black, but looks purple when you shine a strong light through it.

Aren’t they all like that?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Y’all are going to have me going through my collection blasting the entire visible spectrum and half of everything else at it

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

BigFactory posted:

Aren’t they all like that?

From what I've read, it was just the initial pressing.

E: I just checked and my copy of Styx' Kilroy Was Here is the same way.

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 4, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Mister Kingdom posted:

From what I've read, it was just the initial pressing.

Huh mine is purple and I thought it was a repress but maybe not.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
took a walk back to 13 years old tonight

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I’m gonna laugh at you

for buying that

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
So, I fear the answer to this involves hearing "oh, my sweet summer child" but for current recordings being put out on vinyl, do they have a different master for vinyl and digital, or are they just firing up the same digital file and running the cutter? I'm guessing some artists care and make a vinyl-only mix, but is it most?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

like you mentioned it depends on the artists and labels. I think if the artist demands it they'll cut from tape to vinyl because that's how the band recorded, but if a band just wants their material on vinyl they'll do digital to vinyl transfers. since this matters to a lot of people if a band sells it as a tape to vinyl transfer they'll advertise it like that because they know that's how it sells. it's a bit of a toss up unless a band specifically says so though (and fans will ask sometimes and youll get answers through twitter, reddit, facebook). its weird right now.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

With the swirly it's not really intentional. I'm pretty sure the vinyl they use to make the disc is dyed black. I've only noticed this because I have a bright rear end light I use to inspect records before and after I clean then. Also a lot of records do turn out to be transparent. Old Mofi and Japanese pressings of stuff are a few off the top of my head. My copy of Power, Corruption, and Lies by New Order is also transparent when held up to light. It's kind of fun to find this stuff.

stealie72 posted:

So, I fear the answer to this involves hearing "oh, my sweet summer child" but for current recordings being put out on vinyl, do they have a different master for vinyl and digital, or are they just firing up the same digital file and running the cutter? I'm guessing some artists care and make a vinyl-only mix, but is it most?

If the people mastering it give a poo poo there is a different master for the LP release. This is why a properly mastered digitally sourced LP can still sound better than a CD or MP3. LPs tend to be mastered at lower volumes so they have a better dynamic range. Sometimes the disparity is so prominent that it practically sounds like a different mix (though some of them could be alternate mixes). I remember when Them Crooked Vultures came out my friend let me borrow the CD and I liked the album but though it was mixed horribly but then I bought the LP and it turned out the CD just had a lovely master.

All analog pressings are much less common but you have your hardline music nerds like Jack White who insist on it. I think Neil Young is one of those too. Good reissue labels will do this when possible. A digital master comes from analog recordings too. The best example I can think of is the first three White Stripes albums. They were recorded to tape but the band didn't have the money for all analog pressings at the time so they were digitally mastered despite being analog recordings. Several years back Jack White put out all analog reissues of those albums and they are so much better than the older pressings. But he's obviously the outlier here because he's a weirdo. Very few bands are still recording to tape anymore. It's really a case by case basis. Some of the really lovely reissue labels will straight up use a CD as the master. The best known and most universally hated example of that is 4 Men With Beards. It's a shame because they somehow get the licensing for a lot of great titles. I'm guessing it's because their costs are low because their quality is low. The one that really drives me nuts is that they got to reissue Metal Box in an actual metal box and thus far no one else has. I know that's a stupid novelty that in no way enhances the music. But this poo poo is all kinds of novelties anyway.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

Y’all are going to have me going through my collection blasting the entire visible spectrum and half of everything else at it
That's how bone music got started

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

stealie72 posted:

Oh you sweet summer child...

The answer gets really complicated actually.

All albums are mastered for vinyl. It just is a matter of where that source comes from.

So at the end of all the recording and mixing, we have the flat master. Whether this is tape or digital depends on how the band worked, but for the sake of simplicity, let's stick in the digital realm.

Now you're prepping the album for release on digital platforms and CD (although not always anymore thanks to people moving to streaming), and so you're going to produce one master for that.

But now it's time to prepare the album for release on vinyl. And this is where you have two choices.

You can go back to the flat master, and do what you need to for vinyl. Or you can go and take that digital master, and tweak it for vinyl.

You can't just take the digital master and put it onto disk as it is. It would probably sound like garbage, and it might not play correctly. The nice thing about digital is I can just throw as much treble and bass as I want. Vinyl gets persnickety and the needle has to be able to track that groove, so certain things are no go.

The benefits of going back to the flat master is that you can make it sound best for vinyl and really get a more dynamic pressing. On the other hand, working from a digital master is cheaper and won't necessarily sound bad.

It also gets complex because it is quite possible that you have a step between the digital master and the flat master, where they do all the mastering moves EXCEPT the limiting. And they'll use this to apply different limiting levels for high def digital and standard digital.

Analog recordings get even more complex. You can master directly from tape, but it's not uncommon for albums to be mastered from high-res digital transfers. This is true especially if the tapes are in rough shape and required baking, or a lot of restoration.

And by baking, I mean baking. There was a popular tape formulation in the 70s and 80s, and the binder would get weak meaning if you played the tape, it would actually strip the magnetic element off. So by throwing the tapes in an oven, you can restore the binder and do another transfer. However, you only have a limited amount of times you can do this before it stops working.

So yeah, all albums require some preparation for vinyl, but exactly what depends.

As for knowing which albums - sometimes it's hyped (like all analog pressings), other times there is a specific credit (like Adele's 25 and shut up she's a fantastic singer), and other times it's completely hidden.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
This was a great education, thanks everyone!

I'm old enough that I've only ever been involved in recording on tape, and never for vinyl, so I really appreciate the in depth walk-through.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

My first music format was my dad's old 8-Track player, and no one's bringing that bullshit ba-

Oh.

(sees)

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I was at a Habitat for Humanity store a while ago and they had a really lovely 70s console stereo for sale for too much money, but it came with a bunch of 8-tracks, one of which was Patti Smith’s Easter (happy Easter everyone!). I tried to just buy that but they wouldn’t sell just a single 8 track. Oh well.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Don't they have to buy up and cannibalize existing stock for those, too, since absolutely no one produces eight-tracks anymore?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
The first rule of collecting 8 track is to NOT collect 8 track. I've got 40 to 50 tapes and I'm afraid to play them because they will inevitably break, and opening up the cart to fix them is not an easy task.

And speaking of master tapes that have to be baked, Bohemian Rhapsody is on one if I remember my factoids right.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

8-track tape quality is extremely poo poo.

You can pick up and play cassettes and records after several years. You stare at an 8-track wrong and it won't work.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Also, 8-tracks do weird things to albums because you need to have 4 equal length programs with minimal silence. So track orders are often jumbled up, sometimes songs are repeated, and sometimes they split the song into two parts, fading it out in the middle, and then when the program changes, fading it back in.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

There is literally nothing good about 8-tracks that wasn't improved upon by cassettes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Cemetry Gator posted:

Also, 8-tracks do weird things to albums because you need to have 4 equal length programs with minimal silence. So track orders are often jumbled up, sometimes songs are repeated, and sometimes they split the song into two parts, fading it out in the middle, and then when the program changes, fading it back in.

There’s a Pink Floyd album (Animals i think?) that had a unique instrumental bridge between two songs that can only be found on the 4-track version due to the format’s shenanigans. That’s literally the only 4-track tape worth owning.